PDA

View Full Version : Race of Crystal-Blood, the Bornura

Lappy9000
2008-08-07, 09:21 PM
Bornura

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww294/Lappy9000/_Ice_Queen__by_Makimari.jpg
-Image by Makimari (http://makimari.deviantart.com/).

Bornura are peaceful beings bonded with psionic crystals, known as Nuralithis, as a result of a grand experiment on behalf of the once great Giant Kings. With crystals worth more than gold infused within their blood, bornura struggle to survive against the nuralith hunters who eternally besiege the amicable race.

Personality: The bornura possess remarkably placid dispositions, perhaps as a result of the nuralithis bound to their bodies. Although they are a shorter-lived race, bornura as a whole are genuinely benevolent, and prefer to take life slowly as they enjoy the simple pleasures of the world.

Physical Description: While they look similar to a human in most respects, the teal-hued nuralithis crystals give bornura the ability to form the gems into psionic weapons and defenses. Nuralithis crystals have adapted with the bornura, and now evaporate when exposed to air, forcing nuralith hunters to cut out the vital organs of a bornura to reap the benefits of the rare and powerful gems. Worth more per pound than gold, nuralithis proves to be a tantalizing source of quick income for the greedy and murderous.

Built light with smaller frames, bornura typically weigh 100 to 140 pounds and are just as tall as humans. Paler skin hues, often with a hint of blue, are the norm, and bornura sport blue eyes and hair ranging form light to dark blue, with the occasional appearance of white or purple hair. Bornura try to wear clothes that allow them to blend in with the general populace, and normally avoid drawing attention to themselves or their families. As bornura age, their body is slowly consumed by the crystal, and upon reaching a natural death, they are fully crystallized, with the energy having been drained from the nuralithis along with their life force.

Alignment: Bornura are slow to anger, quick to forgive, and inclined towards moral pursuits. The nuralithis in their bodies produces a pacifying effect, as well as allowing them the uncanny ability to read others. Bornura are most often Neutral Good.

Bornura Lands: Bornura find safety in numbers, and often form small communities within larger populations of other races. Since they look most like humans, most bornura find life within human settlements to be a fairly secure one. Usually, bornura settlements consist of small communes within the poorer districts of cities, or of isolated hamlets on the reaches of civilization.

Religion: The bornura have a loose history of ancestral worship, but most end up paying homage to a good-aligned deity whose clergy is accepting and trustworthy.

Language: Bornura speak Common and Terran, using the tongue of the earth elementals as their own.

Bornura Racial Traits
+2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma; Bornura are insightful and perceptive, but are often introverted and reserved.
Medium Size: Bornura, being medium, receive no adjustments based on size.
Earth Scion: Bornura are humanoids with the (Earth) and (Psionic) subtypes.
Speed: A bornura's base land speed is 30 feet.
Low-Light Vision: A bornura can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Almost Human: Bornura receive a +2 racial bonus on Disguise checks made to impersonate a human when not using crystal forming.
Crystal Forming: A bornura has the psionic ability to alter the nuralithis in their bloodstream into various forms. One form must be chosen at first level, and progresses naturally as the bornura gains class levels. Utilizing a crystal form is a swift action and lasts until the bornura is killed, knocked unconscious, or “turns off” the effect. The effects of a Shatter (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shatter.htm) spell or similar effect can cancel out the bornura's crystal forming for a number of rounds equal to the damage the bornura took should they fail their fortitude save (treat the bornura as a crystalline creature).

Amethyst Aura: Nuralithis evaporates to form a bluish aura around the bornura giving them and their allies within a 5' radius a +1 bonus on saving throws. Every four character levels, the aura grants an additional +1 bonus on saving throws.
Clear Immersion: Nuralithis accumulates into small clumps throughout the bornura's body, radiating energies that make arcane spellcasting difficult. Arcane spellcasters within a 10' radius of the bornura gain a 5% arcane spell failure chance. Every four character levels, the arcane spell failure chance increases by 5%.
Crystal Edge: Nuralithis hardens around the bornura's dominant arm, forming a deadly natural blade that deals 1d8+1 points of bludgeoning and piercing damage. Every four character levels, this bonus increases by 1. When attacking with natural attacks, a bornura uses their crystal edge as their primary natural attack. At level 10, a bornura gains a second crystal edge on their off-hand.
Dazzling Jewel: Nuralithis forms into sharp irregular crystals that distort light around the bornura's form, giving them a 5% miss chance. Every four character levels, the miss chance increases by 5%. However, the crystal forming trait doubles the penalties enacted by nuralithis trance.
Diamond Clarity: Nuralithis spreads through the very fissures of a bornura’s mind, granting them Power Resistance 10. Every four character levels, the Power Resistance increases by 5.
Gem Armor: Nuralithis condenses around the bornura's body, giving them a +2 natural armor bonus to AC. Every four character levels, this bonus to natural armor increases by +2.
Nuralithis Trance: Bornura experience a dulled sense of adrenaline, which greatly affects their battle prowess. Bornura cannot make charge attacks, take a -4 penalty to initiative, a -4 penalty to resist feints, and only gain half the benefit from spells or effects that rely on extreme emotion such as a barbarian's rage or a wilder's wild surge. This penalty to initiative and to resist feints increases by -1 every four levels as nuralithis extends over the bornura's body.
Automatic Languages: Common, Terran. Bonus Languages: Elven, Gnome, Gnoll, Halfling, Orc.
Favored Class: Psychic Warrior.

Variant: Non-Psionic BornuraBornura Racial Traits Medium Size: Bornura, being medium, receive no adjustments based on size.
Earth Scion: Bornura are humanoids with the (Earth) subtype.
Speed: A bornura's base land speed is 30 feet.
Low-Light Vision: A bornura can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Almost Human: Bornura receive a +6 racial bonus on Disguise checks made to impersonate a human when not using crystal forming.
Crystal Forming: A bornura has the supernatural ability to alter the nuralithis in their bloodstream into various forms. One form must be chosen at first level, and progresses naturally as the bornura gains class levels. Utilizing a crystal form is a swift action and lasts until the bornura is killed, knocked unconscious, or “turns off” the effect. The effects of a Shatter (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shatter.htm) spell or similar effect can cancel out the bornura's crystal forming for a number of rounds equal to the damage the bornura took should they fail their fortitude save (treat the bornura as a crystalline creature).

Amethyst Aura: Nuralithis evaporates to form a bluish aura around the bornura giving them and their allies within a 5' radius a +1 bonus on saving throws. Every four character levels, the aura grants an additional +1 bonus on saving throws.
Clear Immersion: Nuralithis accumulates into small clumps throughout the bornura's body, radiating energies that make arcane spellcasting difficult. Arcane spellcasters within a 10' radius of the bornura gain a 5% arcane spell failure chance. Every four character levels, the arcane spell failure chance increases by 5%.
Crystal Edge: Nuralithis hardens around the bornura's dominant arm, forming a deadly natural blade that deals 1d8+1 points of bludgeoning and piercing damage. Every four character levels, this bonus increases by 1. When attacking with natural attacks, a bornura uses their crystal edge as their primary natural attack. At level 10, a bornura gains a second crystal edge on their off-hand.
Dazzling Jewel: Nuralithis forms into sharp irregular crystals that distort light around the bornura's form, giving them a 5% miss chance. Every four character levels, the miss chance increases by 5%.
Diamond Clarity: Nuralithis spreads across the bornura's body in thin veins, granting them Spell Resistance 10. Every four character levels, the Spell Resistance increases by 5.
Gem Armor: Nuralithis condenses around the bornura's body, giving them a +2 natural armor bonus to AC. Every four character levels, this bonus to natural armor increases by +2.
Nuralithis Trance: Bornura experience a dulled sense of adrenaline, which greatly affects their battle prowess. Bornura cannot make charge attacks, take a -4 penalty to initiative, a -4 penalty to resist feints, and only gain half the benefit from spells or effects that rely on extreme emotion such as a barbarian's rage or a wilder's wild surge. This initiative penalty increases by -1 every four levels, as the nuralithis gradually extends over the bornura's body.
Razor Crystal: A bornura may cast Magic Stone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicStone.htm) on small clumps of nuralithis to be used as sling bullets or thrown stones. These clumps last the duration of the spell and are too small to have monetary value.
Automatic Languages: Common, Terran. Bonus Languages: Elven, Gnome, Gnoll, Halfling, Orc.
Favored Class: Monk.

DracoDei
2008-08-07, 11:48 PM
I like the two crystal forming options you added for there feel... much to tired right now to even GUESS at balance... Need to specify the base damage for light amplification.

Owrtho
2008-08-08, 12:13 AM
This seems like it could be entertaining to use as a spellthief (due to the Clear Immersion trait) or the soulknife (with the Gem Armor trait to avoid the need for weapons or armor). Makes me wish I wasn't my groups dm and that we weren't in the middle of an adventure already.

Owrtho

Fizban
2008-08-08, 01:39 AM
Clear Immersion is ridiculously powerful. An extra save for negation against any spell, and they get to re-cast it? True, they can only negate so many spells without spending actions to cast them off, but by now it's to little to late.

I'd suggest SR while the crystals are out. 10+HD is standard for useful, but that's a bit much for LA+0 and being effectively continuous, so 5+HD would make sense.

Lappy9000
2008-08-08, 10:39 AM
Clear Immersion is ridiculously powerful. An extra save for negation against any spell, and they get to re-cast it? True, they can only negate so many spells without spending actions to cast them off, but by now it's to little to late.

I'd suggest SR while the crystals are out. 10+HD is standard for useful, but that's a bit much for LA+0 and being effectively continuous, so 5+HD would make sense.

Yeah, I figured as much :smalltongue:
Spell Resistance sounds like it'll work just fine.

Do the abilities seem relatively balanced compared to each other? I'm concerned that some of the Crystal Forming abilities may be more powerful than others.

Makes me wish I wasn't my groups dm and that we weren't in the middle of an adventure already.

Glad you like it :smallbiggrin:

Need to specify the base damage for light amplification.

What do you mean? It's...1d6?

Lappy9000
2008-08-10, 06:16 PM
Sorry for the shameless bump, but with the start-up of yet another monk-thread on the d20 Gaming forum (I really should try avoiding these things), I realize that I may have come close to my goal. The bornura have evolved from a race that simply has monk as a favored class to a race that can actually do well in the monk class.

I actually had to lower the Spell Resistance that Clear Immersion gave, because a 13th level caster's spell (caster check: 1d20+level 13 [20+13=38]) wouldn't even be able to hit a 13th level bornura monk with Clear Immersion's Spell Resistance (10+level 13+15[=38]) with anything less than a natural 20.

Light Amplification (by stimulated emmisions of radiation) on the other hand is simply a decent ranged attack that a bornura monk can use pretty much at will (we all know monks aren't known for ranged combat prowess).

Gem Armor, is simply natural armor, which is just a nice way to pump up those scrawny monk AC's. A level 5 bornura monk would get Wis and Dex bonuses (Let's say +3 and +3) for a total of 16. Monks at 5th level get a +1 AC bonus for a total of 17, but a bornura monk with Gem Armor gets a total of AC 19 by 5th level. Heck, that's as good as a shieldless fighter in full plate with a Dex bonus of +1.

Aqua Aura, just buffs the bornura's saves as well as allowing monks to actually help their buddies a little more in battle.

Crystal Edge, however, needs some work. Sure, you can flurry with it using a feat, but it's real strength is allowing a monk to simultaneously switch from unarmed strikes to armed ones without taking any additional actions (it counts as a non-natural weapon, but still allows you to keep your hands free. Okay, this one's a bit of a loophole, but hey, it works :smallwink:)

To further matters, in my campaign, the monk class is the result solely of the bornura culture; they developed it, and they do best within the class. This also helps explain how a clearly asian-inspired class can fit decently into a medieval-europeanesque world.

Bhu
2008-08-11, 04:00 AM
You had me at "they can shoot lasers now" :smallbiggrin:

Lappy9000
2008-08-12, 08:00 PM
You had me at "they can shoot lasers now"

Thanks!
Right now, I'm wondering if I should have the shatter (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shatter.htm) spell should do damage to bornura while they're using Crystal Forming. I don't know if they technically are crystalline creatures, but the spell wouldn't cancel out their ablities by shattering them, since the spell only affects nonmagical crystal, and nuralithis is certainly magica.

What exactly constitutes a crystalline creature?

Eighth_Seraph
2008-08-12, 08:47 PM
I've been eyeing this race for a while now, since the monster competition, actually, and I really like the flavor of it. The racial powers and feats, though, are weak, though deliciously flavorful. Yes, your feats are apricot tea. Let's go over them, yes?

Crystal Rush [Bornura]
You gain a second crystal edge weapon.
Prerequisites: Bornura, Crystal Edge Trait, Base Attack Bonus +4.
Benefit: When using Crystal Forming, you gain a second crystal edge weapon. You can use this weapon along with your other crystal edge, but you still take full penalties for wielding a two-handed weapon without the Two-Weapon Fighting feat.
Special: A bornura fighter may select Crystal Rush as one of his fighter bonus feats.Emphasis mine. Change it to "full penalties for wielding two weapons". Seems like a cool enough feat, and aside from a rant on the weakness of TWF, I see nothing wrong with it. Very nice. :smallbiggrin:

Gem Flurry [Bornura] Again, fair enough. And, barring a rant on the weakness of monks, I see nothing wrong with it. *Prays that Giacomo isn't watching this thread*

Hard as Diamond
Your Crystal Edge weapon now deals more lethal damage.
Prerequisites: Bornura, Crystal Edge Trait, Base Attack +4.
Benefit: When using Crystal Forming, your crystal edge weapon beomes more powerful, dealing 2d6 points of damage as opposed to 1d6.
Special: A bornura fighter may select Crystal Rush as one of his fighter bonus feats. Fix please? Otherwise, it looks nice. Turning a shortsword into a one-handed greatsword? Yes, please!

Luminous Augmentation
Your Light Amplification ability now has a greater range
Prerequisites: Bornura, Light Amplification trait, Base Attack +4.
Benefit: When using Crystal Forming, your light amplification ablity doubles its range up to 60 feet.
Special: A bornura fighter may select Luminous Augmentation as one of his fighter bonus feats.It says Amplification earlier in the post.

Nuralithis Convergence [Bornura]Hrm. I would lean towards making the range increase by 10 ft., to a maximum of 35. As it is, it's a rare party that's going to be sticking that close to this thing, unless it's a dragon shaman.

Piercing Beauty [Bornura]I like the name and the idea, but this is definitely not worth a feat, unless the spikes gain the same auto-damage enhancement as Crystal Edge does. And even then, it's a stretch. Who uses armor spikes, really?

Shards of Glass [Bornura]
I like the idea, but it's a once-per-day is rarely, if ever, worth a feat, and the damage doesn't really measure up. Maybe have the damage scale a bit, or grant Crystal Edge damage bonus progression (you can tell that I liked that idea of yours). You should probably note in the feat's description whether the Aura's bonus to saves is negated during the use of this feat.

If you're not too emphatic on keeping it once per day, maybe using the shards would prevent the bornura from using his Aura ability for a number of rounds equal to twice the amount that he held the Shards of Glass.

Also, Luminous Amplification is pretty useless as full-round action, and is very weak. I good idea might be to allow a bornura to sacrifice damage dice in exchange for a faster attack, representing the bornura taking less time to focus the beam. Temove one die for a full-round action, two dice for a move action. Maybe three dice for a swift action. Of course, the third is only possible if you allow the ability to scale. I like scaling abilities, if you haven't noticed.

Some feats that could make your repertoire prettier would be one increasing SR from Clear Immersion, one allowing Crystal Edge to deal piercing, bludgeoning, or slashing damage (easy enough to fluff), and maybe one allowing a bornura to choose another ability with Crystal Forming.

Overall, I like your race, and I especially enjoy the flavor. It's a shame that mechanics need to be taken so heavily into account in 3e. As a sidenote, I support some sort of susceptibility to shatter on these guys. Maybe it destroys an active Crystal Forming, which seems pretty appropriate, since the nurthalis is liquid most of the time.

Shadow_Elf
2008-08-12, 08:56 PM
I really like this race, but I feel it needs something...
Like a set of 4e stats. :smallwink:

I think the Crystal Forming would work really well with 4e racial power system, though it would take up more of the race's "points" than a normal racial power because of the selection.

Also, while I love the fact that they can shoot lasers, those are some pretty ineffectual lasers if you ask me...

Lappy9000
2008-08-12, 10:01 PM
I've been eyeing this race for a while now, since the monster competition, actually, and I really like the flavor of it. The racial powers and feats, though, are weak, though deliciously flavorful. Yes, your feats are apricot tea. Let's go over them, yes?

Glad you like it! That kind of critiquing is the kind of thing I'm asking for! I do tend to write things über-powerful, so it's usually eaiser to write things under-powered and beef them up, as opposed to working backwards.

Piercing Beauty was pretty much there just so that the Gem Armor bornura wouldn't feel left out (but, crud, they get natural armor, so they have no business whining :smalltongue:).

Yeah, though, I made a couple of the changes you suggested, thanks again!

Like a set of 4e stats.

I'm not too adept at using 4th edition rules, however I'll give a shot. Warning, the results may get a little messy :smalleek:

DracoDei
2008-08-13, 03:19 AM
Well, I don't think it should do DAMAGE per se... since the nuraliths are disolved most of the time anyway... and can certain be re-formed easily. I would say that it can "reset" the more solid of the crystal forming traits (so everything but the SR on and Aqua Aura probably) so that they are inactive until the Bornura can spend a swift action to reshape the shards back into the right shape... which means that you can drop the natural armor for others to attack until the Bornura's next turn, or get rid of the Crystal Edge so that you can get past and only draw an unarmed attack (puny from anyone but a monk) as the AoO.

Lappy9000
2008-08-13, 06:46 PM
Well, I don't think it should do DAMAGE per se...

Kinda debating it. The big thing is that I got some of the kinks worked out (thanks again to the folks who helped).

Yeah, though, the bornura made their first apperance into my campaign today. Currently we have an evil party, and when the soulstitched favored soul (he frequents the boards here), noticed that she had blue hair and blue eyes, he got that evil grin on his face ($$$). He enlightened the rest of the party, and she (the bornura) immediately fled, but the final results of the situation ended up being rather hilarious.

Lappy9000
2008-08-14, 10:53 PM
Okay added a "Day in the Life" section, complete with sick nursery rhyme. Unless anyone has any final statements, I do believe that the bornura are finished.

I'm very happy with how the race turned out. Thanks again to everyone who helped. (Don't forget. Lasers.)