PDA

View Full Version : Need Manga/Anime Suggestions

Gralamin
2008-08-07, 10:58 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm going to the Animethon this weekend (Local Anime Con held in Edmonton). Because of this being a good opportunity to pick up Anime and Manga, I was hoping to pick up some new and interesting ones.

Unfortunately, I'm at a lost of what to get, so, I'll list below some of what I have/read/watched, to give you an idea of what I like, and you can suggest some to me.

I have read/Watched, in no particular order....
Full Metal Alchemist (Defiantly interested in seeing more like this)
Bleach
Naruto
The Slayers (As well as Next, And Tri, and Revolution so far...)
Gundam Seed
s-CRY-ed
Witch Hunter Robin (Defiantly interested in seeing more like this)
Orphen Revenge
Tsubasa Chronicles
Rurouni Kenshin
Trigun
Hellsing
Deathnote (Defiantly interested in seeing more like this, if such a thing exists)
Neon Genesis Evangelion
X TV
.hack//SIGN
Edit: How could I forget these two?
xxxHolic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

And that's all I can think of for now. Thank you for any suggestions, I'll be taking them until Saturday (When I go).

Things I'm picking up if I see:
Cowboy Bebop

Tengu_temp
2008-08-07, 11:33 PM
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
FLCL.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-08-07, 11:38 PM
For Manga, I'd make a point of recommending One Piece.

If you liked Naruto and Bleach, One Piece is honestly the best of the Shonen series.

Read the manga, you won't have to deal with filler, and Eichiro Oda's fun-loving manga is an absolute treat from start to it's theoretically existing finish.

It doesn't get it's due respect because of 4Kids, but it deserves it. And don't worry, I'll someday see to it 4Kids is taken to the Hague at some point.

Gralamin
2008-08-07, 11:40 PM
FLCL.

Both look interesting, and both have to do with Gainax (Should I suspect a Gainax Ending (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GainaxEnding)?). I'll keep an eye out for them I think. Thanks for the suggestion.

For Manga, I'd make a point of recommending One Piece.

If you liked Naruto and Bleach, One Piece is honestly the best of the Shonen series.

Read the manga, you won't have to deal with filler, and Eichiro Oda's fun-loving manga is an absolute treat from start to it's theoretically existing finish.

It doesn't get it's due respect because of 4Kids, but it deserves it. And don't worry, I'll someday see to it 4Kids is taken to the Hague at some point.

I'll take a look at the Manga then. The fact that 4kids is mentioned makes me wary of the anime. Thanks for the suggestion

Tengu_temp
2008-08-08, 12:10 AM
Both look interesting, and both have to do with Gainax (Should I suspect a Gainax Ending (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GainaxEnding)?). I'll keep an eye out for them I think. Thanks for the suggestion.

TTGL has a straightforward ending that some people consider a downer, but don't listen to these people. They are Fan Dumb.

FLCL's ending is no weirder than the series.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-08-08, 01:18 AM
I'll take a look at the Manga then. The fact that 4kids is mentioned makes me wary of the anime. Thanks for the suggestion

The subbed anime is decent. The 4kids dub is one of mankind's worst crimes.

Fortunately, Funimation has redone the dub with actually decent quality, uncut, available on DVD.

13_CBS
2008-08-08, 03:10 AM
Judging from the fact that you want to see more of FMA, Death Note, and Witch Hunter Robin, can I assume that you're looking for relatively to highly serious anime/manga series that deals with the supernatural?

If so, then I might recommend the following series:

Fate/Stay Night. Both the anime and manga adaptations are quite good. You probably don't want to bother with the Visual Novel the adaptations are based off of, however. It is an action series that deals with a There-Can-Only-Be-Oneesque tournament where the characters must control and command mythological heroes of old. The main character's companion is Saber, who is a gender-bendered King Arthur. Other characters include Lancer, who is CuChulainn, and Berserker, who is Heracles. The manga is well drawn and has a different story from the anime, which is incredibly well animated and has some of the best music I've ever heard in an anime series.

D.Gray-Man (http://www.onemanga.com/D.Gray-Man/), where a young boy who possesses a demon-exterminating, cursed arm joins a grim organization that, you guessed it, exterminates demons. The main character even looks a lot like Edward Elric. It's rather shonen, though.

Skyhigh (http://www.onemanga.com/Skyhigh), if you don't mind reading something that's rated Mature (with a capital M). It deals with 10 people who, when they die, arrive at the Gate of Grudges. Said people must choose between passing on to the afterlife peacefully, staying behind on earth as a ghost, or causing the death of a single person at the cost of eternal damnation.

Soul Eater (http://www.onemanga.com/Soul_Eater/), for something on a more lighthearted scale. It's basically D.Gray-Man Lite. You need to be able to stomach a bit of gratuitous fanservice, though.

Kekkaishi (http://www.onemanga.com/Kekkaishi/), for something leading more towards shounen and action. The protagonist is a member of a clan that has the ability to create space-time boxes around objects and implode said boxes, destroying things. In a way, it's a bit like Ghostbusters in Japan...sorta.

The closest thing to Death Note I could find is MAjin Tantei Nougami Neuro (http://www.onemanga.com/Majin_Tantei_Nougami_Neuro/). Sadly, the only similarities between this and Death Note are creepy demon things and the supreme intellect of certain individuals. Neuro is more a cross between weird demons, gore, and Sherlock Holmes, though.

The Evil Thing
2008-08-08, 03:50 AM
Rather than repeat myself, I shall quote myself. :smalltongue:

I've tried to make this as readable as possible but quotes and italics don't mix.

Shounen
Mahou Sensei Negima
Yes, it has been recommended by half of the thread participants but I'm going to put everything I have on it anyway since I like it the best. Read the first two volumes and then compare with the rest of the series. It's clear Akamatsu was thinking "Ok, that ought to fool the publishers... now let's make a shounen fighting manga," after polishing off volume 2. One of the reasons why it's my favourite is that it's very, very densely packed. Read a Negima chapter then read a Naruto or Bleach chapter. You'll notice that Negima often crams two or three times the content into the same number of pages, yet never suffers for this compression.
It also boasts one of the most highly developed magic systems I've ever seen.
Hayate the Combat Butler
It's a light-hearted comedy that inexplicably works. My second favourite series after Negima.
Fairy Tale
The art looks a lot like One Piece yet is drawn by someone who - as far as I can tell - has no connection to the series. Go ahead and read through it, but make sure you look up the word "nakama" and know its meaning inside and out since the scanlators have this absolutely infuriating habit of not translating it. Ever.
Naruto, Bleach, One Piece
They're called the "Big Three" for a reason. Whether that reason is justified is for you to decide.
Love Hina
Both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing because it's a very good harem comedy series but a curse because the rather poor state of the first two Negima volumes can be attributed to the success of this manga.
Oh My Goddess
Some people insist that it is called "Ah My Goddess" but they're wrong and you should feel free to tell them so. Don't be put off by the dodgy art as it gets better quickly. It's also a very long runner (still going now) so the creator is doing something right, at least.
Death Note
It's fun seeing two masterminds working against each other. A well-executed thriller.
Inuyasha
It took years (and years, and years) but it's finally finished. This series takes a large amount of stamina to get through, given its length.
Rurouni Kenshin
Offers an interesting interpretation of nineteenth century Japanese history. Blurs the line between fantasy and realism but does well in both cases.
Fullmetal Alchemist
The anime does OK in its own right but the story really gets good in its original manga form.
Psychometrer Eiji
Oh no! Why?! They stopped scanlating this series a year ago and it's only been licensed in French! It's a great story and the point where it left me hanging suggests that we should expect something akin to Monster or Death Note. Now where's my French dictionary?
Yu-Gi-Oh!
I have it on good authority that this is the only way we can get YGO that hasn't been macekred beyond redemption by 4Kids (fun fact: YGO is apparently getting a fan dub). (INSERT: Viz has bowdlerised this to a degree.) However, 'Evil' Yami is better so we should read the manga instead anyway.
Claymore
Girls with swords that we are supposed to call Claymores (the swords, not the girls; the world's denizens appear to be confused on this point). If you're sharp, you should be able to infer (or at least predict) the plot twists which is either to the managaka's credit or fault, depending on your point of view.
Air Gear
No-one seems to have mentioned this one but it deserves love anyway. It has just as much fan service as Negima (per female cast member, anyway) but how many series do you know of feature roller skates that fly?

Seinen
Monster
A world without Monster would be a sad one indeed. This really is amazing and it is a sin to pass it by.
Excel Saga
The anime parodied the original manga (if you're feeling charitable) as much as it parodied everything else. Grab the first volume just to see how different it is.
Elfen Lied
Why oh why is this not licensed? :smallfrown: Sure, it has graphic nudity and dismemberment (sometimes at the same time) but Elfen Lied is brilliant and tragic; Nyu will melt your heart.
Highschool of the Dead
Be sure to buy legality COOL COMIC* when you read it. A zombie apocalypse manga that can't quite decide whether to take itself seriously or not. Oddly compelling.
Berserk
A grim, dark world featuring an anti-hero which leaves evil people dead and good people weeping on the ground. Just like every other edgy series, then...
Blade of the Immortal
Violent and bloody like Berserk featuring yet another protagonist that won't die. Unlike Berserk, however, the protagonist is most determinedly amoral yet somehow thoughtful at the same time. You might like to consider to be the polar opposite of Rurouni Kenshin.
3x3 Eyes
I liked this series for a while but then I stopped reading it and didn't pick it back up. Find scanlations first if you can since it's not for everyone.

Hmm, there seems to be more Shounen manga up there...

*Ah, Engrish, how I love thee.

And to this list I will add:
Gantz
Is violent and gory like Elfen Lied; kills off main characters left, right and centre; contains "mature" themes. This is definitely seinen manga, and it's not bad at all. You may find yourself wanting to beat the protagonist to death with a heavy object in the first hundred chapters or so.
Tsukihime
What the anime could have been if they didn't try to cram five visual novel routes into twelve episodes. This does the job much better, picking up a lot from its source material. A funny point is that the mangaka is treating Sacchin even worse than the original game, and it's hard not to see that he's doing it for a laugh. Isn't it sad, Sacchin? ;_;

Let's see... from personal experience in no particular order:

Minami-ke
Simply very funny; Kana is simultaneously stupid and clever
Excellent adaptation of some excellent novels
Lucky Star
Very soothing and low key comedy; an acquired taste; not to be marathoned. Based on a 4-koma. Comes from the people who made Haruhi.
Ghost in the Shell:SAC 1st and 2nd Gig
See? If you pay attention to the manga and have a huge budget, you too can make an excellent action/social-commentary series.
Monster
Absolutely incredible but is very, very long. The manga is good, too.
Fate/Stay Night
Another anime Marmite; it tries hard but the game is simply too expansive to really adapt. If you can make sense of the title you're a better man that me. Archer is a the origin/cause of the word "gar".
Elfen Lied
The manga is better but this does a fair job. Violence: caveat visor
Baccano!
Just licensed so you can stream a subbed episode off Funimation's site. It's violent like Elfen Lied (though not as much) but fantastic all the same. Isaac and Miria will cheer you up. Based on a series of light novels. (Like FMP and Shana)
Full Metal Panic
Avoid Fumoffu if Sousuke's classroom antics irritate you; The Second Raid is more the of the first season with a big helping of angst. Otherwise good action but you have been warned.
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
A nice outing in the Gundam-verse, but the series is a big time investment since it practically begs to be marathoned. Destiny is supposed to be good, but for different reasons so I never saw it.
Last Exile
Astonishing visuals and fascinating world complement a well-written (if slightly predictable) story.
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, A's, StrikerS
A seinen action series disguised as typical magical girl fare. You can imagine the producers ticking off a list of mahou shoujo clichés. Don't be put off by the first few episodes.
Noir
An action series for those who really, really hate men in suits. Starts slowly but gains momentum quickly. Yes, it does venture into the supernatural, but that isn't really a problem.
Madlax
It's good, but it will forever be in Noir's shadow. It's debatable whether you're supposed to think "Yeah, right," during the first episode.
El Cazador de la Bruja
A much brighter series than Noir or Madlax; a good end to Bee Train's 'trilogy'. Ellis is one of the most charming characters ever.
Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen
Shonen-seinen combination; bypass the main anime series in favour of reading the manga and watching this OVA instead - avoiding the filler is the best way to combat it.
Shakugan no Shana, Second
Want to see the ur-Tsundere? No? Well, this anime is good on its own merits anyway so suck it up and have fun.
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
"What if I had died!?" indeed. Weird but very stylish gallows humour. The second season gets tiring quickly. Try to get a.f.k.'s sub if possible. Rather tails off in the second season.
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Based on a doujin VN series. If you like yandere, you'll love this. I won't say any more. No, that's not right. I'll also mention you aren't expected to understand what's going on until you finish the second season.
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
What the hell do you think this is?!
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, R2
It's rare to have a protagonist who's just so bad.
Excel Saga
Every episode takes the opportunity to remind you that it is completely different from the manga. Go read that too.
Azumanga Daioh
If Excel Saga is crack, Azumanga Daioh is marijuana.
ef - a tale of memories
Another series based on eroge; a decent drama considering what we usually get on TV.
Darker than Black
Action series that'll remind most people of X-Men. Features the voice of Kenzo Tenma.
Hellsing Ultimate
Ignore that practical joke of a first series and move straight to this. It's basically an exaggeration of the manga but works very well all the same.
Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbour Totoro, Princess Mononoke
Ghibli really know their stuff. Pick up anything by Hayao Miyazaki and you won't be disappointed.
Wolf and Spice
Until the manga or novels get licensed - or someone translates them - this'll have to do.
Kanon
Another eroge adaptation; these seem to be pretty safe bets. For the record, make sure you pick up the 2006 version. The previous one is supposedly not very good.
FLCL
It seems unlikely that Gainax knew what they were up to either. It is surrealist but it's not exactly terrible.
Utawarerumono
The name is the most challenging aspect of this; it's not spectacular but it's fun. Learn the word Kemonomimi.
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Watch it because it's important. No, you're not expected to like it. End of Evangelion supposedly documents the real world events of the final two episodes but don't believe it. Just stop at episode 24 and pretend everyone lived happily ever after.
Grave of the Fireflies
You might not cry, but you'll still feel pretty bad.
Fullmetal Alchemist
Fullmetal is one word. Remember that or face internet ostracism. It diverges from the manga early on so feel free to binge on both equally.
Naruto & Bleach
I cannot recommend these in good conscience without giving you fair warning that the are full to bursting with gratuitous filler material borne from the peculiar nature of Japanese programming. Find an episode guide ahead of time or just read the manga - which is cheaper anyway.
EDIT:
Hayate the Combat Butler
I liked this series so much I completely forgot about it. A show that's about as serious as its name suggests. One of the few series in existence that doesn't suffer from its anime-only content.

EDIT 2: Now let's try and make the English a little better...
EDIT 3: Now let's try and correct the grammar...

Wow... that's long.

And to that list I shall add:
Serial Experiments Lain
This is an... interesting series. It's somewhat existential and its plot is worth following.
Paranoia Agent

Does anyone use baseball bats for playing baseball any more?

Have fun. :smallcool:

Blayze
2008-08-08, 03:52 AM

It's all the anime you'll ever need.

Drascin
2008-08-08, 07:41 AM
TTGL has a straightforward ending that some people consider a downer, but don't listen to these people. They are Fan Dumb.

Hey! :smallannoyed:. What's FanDumb-y in finding having one of your favorite characters literally erased from the universe to be a bit of a downer?

Still, yeah, Gurren-Lagann is awesome, in the purest definition of the term. I'd also recommend trying Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star for funny slice-of-life antics, Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha for a surprisingly good action series (yes, it looks like a utterly standard magical girl series. Yes, the first episodes suck. Bear with me and keep watching. Trust me here), or if you feel like punishing your common sense a bit and have a blast while doing it watch Excel Saga and FLCL.

And for the manga part, Rurouni Kenshin is nice shonen (and without all the filler of the anime), and Berserk is a rather interesting - if somewhat gory - story set in an extremely crapsack-y world.

Tengu_temp
2008-08-08, 07:54 AM
Hey! :smallannoyed:. What's FanDumb-y in finding having one of your favorite characters literally erased from the universe to be a bit of a downer?

Because she dies happy, and the rest of the ending is upbeat? It is a sad element, yes, but it's not a downer ending. Each time I hear people go "damnit, couldn't Gainax give at least one of their series a happy ending?!", I smolder with generic rage.

Not to mention that FLCL has a happy ending too.

Also, agreed with your suggestions. You said what I wanted to add, but better. Well, except for manga, because I'm not much of a manga reader so can't really reccomend any.

Drascin
2008-08-08, 09:14 AM
Because she dies happy, and the rest of the ending is upbeat? It is a sad element, yes, but it's not a downer ending. Each time I hear people go "damnit, couldn't Gainax give at least one of their series a happy ending?!", I smolder with generic rage.

...Well...

Simon going all "...I'm nothing" wasn't exactly an upbeat note either. And I always saw Nia's smiling more as a "It's been really great, and I'm sad to go, but I regret nothing, so don't be sad" than "I can die happy now".

And, well, I spent a while bawling after that - I'm not sure that I could have thought it upbeat at the time even if Kamina himself had been reborn and crashed the party Kamina-style. Subsequent viewings allowed me to see the more optimist parts, but on the first time my only thought was "aw, man, no fair!"

So I could see people who have it still fresh and who still haven't been able to repress their emotions enough to think about it logically for a moment to think it sad enough. Not a Tomino ending in any way, but still, it's easy to see it as bittersweet.

Also, agreed with your suggestions. You said what I wanted to add, but better. Well, except for manga, because I'm not much of a manga reader so can't really reccomend any.

Thanks. I live to serve :smallbiggrin:.

I'd also want to recommend Kyouran Kazoku Nikki for surprisingly pathos-charged absurd comedy (yeah, you read that right), too - I've been watching some more episodes, and it's being mighty fun. Even if the attempts at loli fanservice are horridly offputting (seriously, authors, I love Kyouka, but in an entirely "she's awesomely fun" way, not in the "she's sexy" way, so please, I don't need close-ups of her butt), the rest of the series has given me quite a few laughs, and a few introspective moments too. And a couple Narms too, but I guess a series with so much DiabolusExMachina just has to have a couple scenes falling flat :smalltongue:.

Also, giant sentient monkeys with genetically-engineered biological jetpacks on their backs :smallbiggrin:.

13_CBS
2008-08-08, 09:53 AM
Oh, I forgot one: Double Arts (http://www.onemanga.com/Double_Arts/). It's fairly new so there's only 19 chapters floating around, but I absolutely love it.

Gralamin
2008-08-08, 12:19 PM
Judging from the fact that you want to see more of FMA, Death Note, and Witch Hunter Robin, can I assume that you're looking for relatively to highly serious anime/manga series that deals with the supernatural?

Pretty much, Yes.

Fate/Stay Night. Both the anime and manga adaptations are quite good. You probably don't want to bother with the Visual Novel the adaptations are based off of, however. It is an action series that deals with a There-Can-Only-Be-Oneesque tournament where the characters must control and command mythological heroes of old. The main character's companion is Saber, who is a gender-bendered King Arthur. Other characters include Lancer, who is CuChulainn, and Berserker, who is Heracles. The manga is well drawn and has a different story from the anime, which is incredibly well animated and has some of the best music I've ever heard in an anime series.

That sounds good, even the anime. One of the things I liked best about the Full Metal Alchemist anime was instead of going into filler, they went down another plausible story path, allowing it to finish and be good, while the manga keeps being good with its storyline.

D.Gray-Man (http://www.onemanga.com/D.Gray-Man/), where a young boy who possesses a demon-exterminating, cursed arm joins a grim organization that, you guessed it, exterminates demons. The main character even looks a lot like Edward Elric. It's rather shonen, though.

Sounds interesting, I'll try reading a few chapters to see if I'll buy it.

Skyhigh (http://www.onemanga.com/Skyhigh), if you don't mind reading something that's rated Mature (with a capital M). It deals with 10 people who, when they die, arrive at the Gate of Grudges. Said people must choose between passing on to the afterlife peacefully, staying behind on earth as a ghost, or causing the death of a single person at the cost of eternal damnation.

Sounds a bit weird, may give it a look.

Soul Eater (http://www.onemanga.com/Soul_Eater/), for something on a more lighthearted scale. It's basically D.Gray-Man Lite. You need to be able to stomach a bit of gratuitous fanservice, though.

So if I see D.Gray-Man as to dark I'll come to this. Otherwise, I'll stay away for now.

Kekkaishi (http://www.onemanga.com/Kekkaishi/), for something leading more towards shounen and action. The protagonist is a member of a clan that has the ability to create space-time boxes around objects and implode said boxes, destroying things. In a way, it's a bit like Ghostbusters in Japan...sorta.

Sounds a bit interesting, I'll take a look.

The closest thing to Death Note I could find is MAjin Tantei Nougami Neuro (http://www.onemanga.com/Majin_Tantei_Nougami_Neuro/). Sadly, the only similarities between this and Death Note are creepy demon things and the supreme intellect of certain individuals. Neuro is more a cross between weird demons, gore, and Sherlock Holmes, though.

May be interesting, I'll take a look.

<Lots of suggestions>
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Still, yeah, Gurren-Lagann is awesome, in the purest definition of the term. I'd also recommend trying Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star for funny slice-of-life antics, Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha for a surprisingly good action series (yes, it looks like a utterly standard magical girl series. Yes, the first episodes suck. Bear with me and keep watching. Trust me here), or if you feel like punishing your common sense a bit and have a blast while doing it watch Excel Saga and FLCL.
Not sure I want to try Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star, but may give the other one a look.
Also, that the first mention of Excel Saga in the thread, any good?

And for the manga part, Rurouni Kenshin is nice shonen (and without all the filler of the anime), and Berserk is a rather interesting - if somewhat gory - story set in an extremely crapsack-y world.

May look at Beserk. If you noticed, I already have seen and read Rurouni Kenshin.

Oh, I forgot one: Double Arts (http://www.onemanga.com/Double_Arts/). It's fairly new so there's only 19 chapters floating around, but I absolutely love it.
I'll take a look at that as well.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Cannonball
2008-08-08, 12:41 PM
There have been a lot of fantastic suggestions so far in this thread so I'm just going to second a few of them to help you pick:

- Code Geass
If you liked Death Note's array of Xantos Roulettes then pick this one up. It's also so deliciously fun.

- Gurren Lagan
Is truly awesomeness in animated form. Even the tech in the series runs literally on win.

- Nanoha
Is a very good series. Stops being so cliche around episode 6 and has a fantastic second series. StrikerS is quite good too.

- FLCL and Excel Saga
Both very good. Only to be watched if you're prepared to fry your brain into a puddle of goop. Satisfied goop but goop nonetheless.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-08-08, 12:45 PM
There have been a lot of fantastic suggestions so far in this thread so I'm just going to second a few of them to help you pick:

- Code Geass
If you liked Death Note's array of Xantos Roulettes then pick this one up. It's also so deliciously fun.
[/I]

Be forewarned, nothing that Lelouche, who is an obnoxious brat, does is anywhere near is brilliant or clever as what is done in Death Note, even though the series tries to act otherwise.

Also, this series has moments that are so stupid it's mind-numbing. Still, though, it can be fun.

Drascin
2008-08-08, 12:51 PM
Not sure I want to try Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star, but may give the other one a look.
Also, that the first mention of Excel Saga in the thread, any good?

It's actually been mentioned once, I think. Anyway, Excel Saga is an extremely absurd comedy, which parodies pretty much everything you may know about japanese games, anime and culture - and thousands of things you don't know too - with sharp irony and continuous reductio ad absurdum. To sum up the stuff... suffice to say it's been described as "what crack smokes when it wants to get high".

May look at Beserk. If you noticed, I already have seen and read Rurouni Kenshin.

Sorry, didn't rememeber that. Anyway, Berserk is a pretty violent manga, rife with Black And Grey Morality, demons and humans worse than them, and a lot of blood and guts (both because the main character is named Guts and because you're going to see a lot of them sprayed around). Good fights, lika... errr, interesting characters, and a pretty huge quest of one man out solely to flip off destiny to its face. It's not a bad read at all, even if it goes a tad cliche at a couple places.

Cannonball
2008-08-08, 12:53 PM
Be forewarned, nothing that Lelouche, who is an obnoxious brat, does is anywhere near is brilliant or clever as what is done in Death Note, even though the series tries to act otherwise.

Also, this series has moments that are so stupid it's mind-numbing. Still, though, it can be fun.

Boo~ :smallwink:

Different strokes for different folks. Lelouche is such a magnificent bastard - can't help but like him really. At any rate, Gralamin that's the two different views on what Code Geass is like in this thread. It's either evil fun or not worth your time. I suspect it has to do with how well you like the characters and how much over-the-topness you enjoy.

Kojiro Kakita
2008-08-08, 02:37 PM

Have you actually even played the Visual Novel of Fate/Stay Night.
From what you are describing you have a very superficial understanding of the series.

Let us discuss what the Fate/Stay Night series is really is.
At first, the Visual Novel was first. It had three Paths: Fate, Unlimited Blade Works, and Heaven's Feel (the most interesting of all routes).

Now the Fate/Stay Anime featured the Fate route, which is the shortest and least developed of the routes. It gives a brief explanation of the world but doesn't go into great detail on how this situation came to be. Furthermore, the anime while than its predecessor of Tsukihime (yeah for the remake) it does make a bit of a hash since it tries to combine some info from the other routes.

Now the manga follows the Unlimited Blade Works arc, and this goes into much more detail than the Fate route. You learn more about the past and why there is an uncanny resemblance between Archer and Emiya and why Emiya can used imagery sorcery . However, it still does not reveal everything about this world.

Now the Heaven's Feel route, which in my opinion is a bit too disturbing to be made into an anime or manga is the most enlightening of the routes and probably has the best story. If you are able to read Japanese I would recommend playing this route (If you are unable to read Japanese then just wait a bit. A translation team is working on this route, since they have already completed Fate and Unlimted Blade Works).

Now going back to the topic:
An anime I would recommend is the Kara no Kyoukai series. It is deeply philosophical and has a great storyline. Also, for those of you who care for art more than stories, this probably is one of the best drawn animes out there. Only the new Eva movies can compete, and even then the Eva movies are lacking a bit in my opinion.

For manga: Omamori Himari.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-08-08, 02:57 PM
If you liked the anime of Fullmetal Alchemist (you didn't specify, and I just skimmed the rest of the thread, since I'm at work right now), and Gundam Seed, you might want to take a look at Gundam 00 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gundam_00), which is directed by the same man as FMA.

Heck, I'll just throw in a recommendation for any of the Gundam shows. :smalltongue: But Gundam 00 is definitely among the best of them, and it's new, so the animation quality (or lack thereof. I'm looking at you, Original Gundam!) won't be distracting.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-08-08, 03:54 PM
Boo~ :smallwink:

Different strokes for different folks. Lelouche is such a magnificent bastard - can't help but like him really. At any rate, Gralamin that's the two different views on what Code Geass is like in this thread. It's either evil fun or not worth your time. I suspect it has to do with how well you like the characters and how much over-the-topness you enjoy.

Woah, woah, woah. I'm not saying it's evil. I often have fun with it, but it does get pretty insanely ovver-the-top at some points. *Cough* Mao *Cough*

Cannonball
2008-08-08, 04:15 PM
No no, you misunderstand - I meant Code Geass can be such deliciously evil fun. Though I have heard complaints about it's apparent absurdity. May very well be a love it or hate it show -nods-

Silfir
2008-08-08, 04:37 PM
Midori no Hibi (Or Midori Days). I love the premise, and it's wonderfully executed as a lighthearted romantic comedy.

The Nanoha series is a strange phenomenon. Midway through the first season it switches from generic magical girl into full-on action series. I liked it.

Kojiro Kakita
2008-08-08, 05:08 PM
People, if you are looking for an anime that probably has the most realistic Chess Master character than I suggest watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes

bluish_wolf
2008-08-08, 05:51 PM
People, if you are looking for an anime that probably has the most realistic Chess Master character than I suggest watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Nonsense, if you want an animu with the most realistic Chess Master character, then watch Shion no Ou.

13_CBS
2008-08-08, 09:28 PM
*snip

Sorry about that, I didn't mean to say that the visual novel is BAD, per se, but I wasn't sure of Gralamin would be interested in the hentai scenes in the novel. That, and English translations and the novel itself might be a bit hard to find.

bluish_wolf
2008-08-08, 10:09 PM
Sorry about that, I didn't mean to say that the visual novel is BAD, per se, but I wasn't sure of Gralamin would be interested in the hentai scenes in the novel. That, and English translations and the novel itself might be a bit hard to find.

Fate/stay is still in print, though. Tsukihime, on the other hand, is impossible to find.

nothingclever
2008-08-08, 10:24 PM
Vagabond
Vinland Saga
Ichi the Killer
Berserk
Shamo
Garouden

All of the above have a combination of ridiculousness, great art, extreme violence and overall epicness.

Gralamin
2008-08-08, 10:49 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I'll take a look for at least a few of the manga suggestions, and a lot of the Anime suggestions.

turkishproverb
2008-08-08, 11:07 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm going to the Animethon this weekend (Local Anime Con held in Edmonton). Because of this being a good opportunity to pick up Anime and Manga, I was hoping to pick up some new and interesting ones.

Unfortunately, I'm at a lost of what to get, so, I'll list below some of what I have/read/watched, to give you an idea of what I like, and you can suggest some to me.

I have read/Watched, in no particular order....
Full Metal Alchemist (Defiantly interested in seeing more like this)
Bleach
Naruto
The Slayers (As well as Next, And Tri, and Revolution so far...)
Gundam Seed
s-CRY-ed
Witch Hunter Robin (Defiantly interested in seeing more like this)
Orphen Revenge
Tsubasa Chronicles
Rurouni Kenshin
Trigun
Hellsing
Deathnote (Defiantly interested in seeing more like this, if such a thing exists)
Neon Genesis Evangelion
X TV
.hack//SIGN
Edit: How could I forget these two?
xxxHolic

And that's all I can think of for now. Thank you for any suggestions, I'll be taking them until Saturday (When I go).

Things I'm picking up if I see:
Cowboy Bebop

Gundam Zeta.
Death note movies
L Change teh world (Legitimate hong cong sub exists, look for the region 3 dvd)
Gundam 08th MS Team
Gundam 0080
Gundam 0083
Mobile Suit Gundam Trilogy boxed set
Char's Counterattack
Full Metal Panic
Full Metal Panic Fumaffu
Full Metal Panic the second raid

13_CBS
2008-08-08, 11:32 PM
Fate/stay is still in print, though. Tsukihime, on the other hand, is impossible to find.

You've got this (http://www.findmanga.com/readmanga/Tsukihime) at least.

bluish_wolf
2008-08-08, 11:58 PM

It might be better just to wait for the Tsukihime remake. Supposedly, they are adding a Sacchin scenario.

The Evil Thing
2008-08-09, 02:30 AM
Now the Heaven's Feel route, which in my opinion is a bit too disturbing to be made into an anime or manga is the most enlightening of the routes and probably has the best story. If you are able to read Japanese I would recommend playing this route (If you are unable to read Japanese then just wait a bit. A translation team is working on this route, since they have already completed Fate and Unlimted Blade Works).
HF "Spoilers" below.
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q145/ILPPendant/Combine.jpg
Isn't it fascinating when the forces of darkness contrive to bring out a girl's inner yandere? We have here a lady whose love for the protagonist to mostly unrequited before all her circumstances combine and snap her resulting in an evil-induced killing spree.

Should residents of Miyama City also lock their doors at night if they don't plan on making any ad hoc blood donations?

*ahem* ...moving on.

It might be better just to wait for the Tsukihime remake. Supposedly, they are adding a Sacchin scenario.
There's no reason not to have both. I enjoyed the manga (it's not brilliant but it does the job) and I was surprised how faithful it was. I was particularly impressed that they kept Len's "dream" part in though it must have been tempting to bowdlerise it out. (You know which one I'm talking about).

Please don't forget that not all of us have learned the thousands of kanji that make up the Japanese language; being able to read the Tsukihime remake will be impossible until Mirror Moon puts a patch out (will probably take a couple of years at least). Sacchin will have to wait. ;_;

13_CBS
2008-08-09, 02:35 AM
Sacchin will have to wait. ;_;

Isn't it sad? ;_;

Kojiro Kakita
2008-08-09, 03:18 AM
Nonsense, if you want an animu with the most realistic Chess Master character, then watch Shion no Ou.

Well I was referring to the trope, but the pro chess player works too.

Besides she is so moe.

There's no reason not to have both. I enjoyed the manga (it's not brilliant but it does the job) and I was surprised how faithful it was. I was particularly impressed that they kept Len's "dream" part in though it must have been tempting to bowdlerise it out. (You know which one I'm talking about).

Lol, ahh yes Len's dream. I will admit that it was a bit surprising when I first saw that scene (Tsukihime was the first VN I read/watched). I am curious as to which person you chose first Evil Thing.

The Evil Thing
2008-08-09, 04:11 AM
Lol, ahh yes Len's dream. I will admit that it was a bit surprising when I first saw that scene (Tsukihime was the first VN I read/watched). I am curious as to which person you chose first Evil Thing.
Since I had decided to follow Arc's route from the start (I'm that sort of methodical player - she was on the box, after all) I chose her without a second thought. However, when I got to that scene again with Ciel-sempai, I made sure to save the game at that point. I was determined to get all the CGs so it was necessary to... sacrifice myself for the sake of completion and go through all five (four) choices.

SilentNight
2008-08-09, 10:50 AM
Try picking up Black Cat and Trigun, both of which feature wise-cracking easy-going gunslingers but are far superior to Hellsing and similar manga's in my opinion. Black Cat features and ex-assasin in some sort of alternate world and Trigun's main character has been declared a natural disaster by the government.

Kojiro Kakita
2008-08-09, 12:01 PM
Since I had decided to follow Arc's route from the start (I'm that sort of methodical player - she was on the box, after all) I chose her without a second thought. However, when I got to that scene again with Ciel-sempai, I made sure to save the game at that point. I was determined to get all the CGs so it was necessary to... sacrifice myself for the sake of completion and go through all five (four) choices.

Oh don't be like that, some of the later arcs were much better than the former arcs. I am thinking of Hisui and Kohaku's arc at the moment.

Drascin
2008-08-09, 12:10 PM

Ah, thanks, I was looking for that. I've read a few chapters now, and it's pretty good - almost doesn't mangle the game, and what it has moved around and/or added, up to now, it's been good (I've just read chapter 25. Man, Akiha is badass. Of course, we all knew that, but it's so satisfying to actually see it somewhere apart from Melty Blood).

The Evil Thing
2008-08-09, 02:20 PM
Oh don't be like that, some of the later arcs were much better than the former arcs. I am thinking of Hisui and Kohaku's arc at the moment.
You're talking about the actual routes? I thought you were talking about who Shiki thinks was wandering around his room at night. :smallredface::smalltongue:
I don't really have anything against Far Side of the Moon.

Lord of Rapture
2008-08-10, 12:30 AM
How come nobody's posted Monster yet? Tenma and Johan, who are completely opposite in personality, are some of my favorite characters in manga.

Also:

FMA
Manga is better than anime, in my opinion. Anime is more tragedy, while manga is more awesome.

Code Geass
Not as good as Death Note, but still quite good in Xanatos Gambits/Roulettes. Also, I will personally beat down whoever says that Lelouch or Suzaku is evil. Lelouch is not as bad as Armor Armadillo says, or I'm an idealistic freak.

TTGL
Galaxy. Shurikens. That is all.

Elfen Lied
Perhaps the only anime/manga that will ever make me cry. Repeatedly. Even when I think about it.

The Evil Thing
2008-08-10, 02:17 AM
How come nobody's posted Monster yet?
lol wut?

(It's there, I promise, buried deep within my essay post.)

Also, though it's not a manga or anime series, you should definitely grab a copy of Ever17. (http://www.amazon.com/Global-Marketing-Partners-EVER-17/dp/B000ELWF80/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1218352010&sr=8-6) It's got one of the best stories I've ever read - one of the few whose plot twists completely blindsided me.

For just over $20 there is absolutely no reason not to buy it. Its lack of eroge content means you don't have to frantically hide the box like a paranoiac whenever a mundane walks into the room.

Kojiro Kakita
2008-08-10, 04:33 AM
But hiding your box and cover is half the fun Evil thing.

Mc. Lovin'
2008-08-10, 07:32 AM
From your list I have enjoyed bleach, and Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumeya, so we prolly have at least a bit of the same tastes.

I also like D Gray man, which is an unfinished series, and is both manga and anime. The anime always has great quality, however has a lot of fillers. Also, it is very close to the manga, so I assume it's going to slip back into fillers soon.

Also, Death Note, which is a great finished series, possibly better in anime, however I'm not sure. I only saw the first half in the anime, and read the rest in the manga.

Wraithy
2008-08-11, 03:23 PM
I think the best anime/manga are already on this thread, so I'll pick a small few of the ones already here and think of some more reasons you should watch or read them.

Full Metal Alchemist whoops sorry, I must've missed that on your list at the begginning
If anyone can find a reason to dislike this series then they either haven't looked at it or need their head checked. The anime is fifty-something episodes long with a film tacked on to give it a proper ending. The manga is currently approaching 90 chapters (each with about 40ish pages) and follows a different storyline.
I recommend both reading the manga and watching the anime, the first few chapters/episodes follow roughly the same story, but after a while they are practically two different series, both equally brilliant. For the anime I recommend the English dub over the subtitled Japanese, which is rare for me, but the English dub is absolutely perfect, and the Japanese is, well... squeaky and annoying.

(ok that last one was very long, but you must watch and read FMA)

Soul Eater
It is quite easy to be scared away by the fan service in the first few episodes and chapters, the manga has a slightly higher level of fan service, so I'd recommend the anime (which has to be watched just so you can hear the creepy laughing sun every now and then). Thankfully the fan service calms down quite quickly, and after the first three episodes of the anime it is basically gone.
There is no English dub yet, and there are only 18 episodes out so far (there should be roughly 50 in the end though).
This series is worth it just for the background, this world is incredibly dynamic and captivating, and the colourful designs are amusing when contrasted with the relatively dark subject matter (not nearly as dark as FMA, but I still think eating people's souls counts). An excellent series when you ignore the fan service in the first three episodes, definitely worth keeping an eye on.

13_CBS
2008-08-13, 12:16 AM
I wonder what Gralamin has thought about our suggestions, now that he's gone and bought them. :smallconfused: