PDA

View Full Version : RE: Slivers

Owrtho
2008-08-07, 11:55 PM
This thread is made as a continuation of the Slivers (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45685) thread which has recently been subjected to thread necromancy. As I wish to respond I have made this thread.

Ah, M:tG, that takes me back.

What about, say, Necrotic slivers? Creatures that destroy themselves to destroy whatever is around them.

What about the Hivestone, that would let non-slivers join the Hive, and benefit from sliverdom?

Or if you don't like the Sliver Queen, there's the Sliver Overlord - able to call on his sliver brethren (telepathy 150' instead of the usual 60', perhaps?) and the ability to steal control of slivers away from the Queen, or the Sliver Legion, which gains power from its brethren above and beyond any other sliver?

Makes me wnt to pick up M:tG again.

I'll point out the sliver legion boosts all slivers (not just itself). Also based upon the way it looks in the picture (and by its name) I'd probly have it be something like an avatar of the hivemind. It would resemble a mass of slightly transparent slivers (I'll call them heads) floating above the feild of combat all linked by their tail. The number would be equal to the number of slivers in range (excluding itself). For each it would grant a (cumulative) bonus that is the same as the muscle sliver's. Each could make a standard attack but would prompt an attack of opportunity from the target that does not count towards the limit of 1 per round. If any damage is dealt to a head, it is automaticly destroyed and will regenerate in 1d4 rounds (the damage would be dealt to the sliver legion as a whole). If a sliver is killed a head is permanently destroyed (does not deal damage). If there are currently no, the sliver legion itself is revealed (at point where the tails of heads conected) and can make no attacks. Any damage delt to it in this state is doubled.

However, the slive that I'd think could be the biggest threat is the Synchronous Sliver. If you just go by the fact is has vigilance it is not a big deal. The issue however comes when one reads the flavor text. "With a twitch of its muscles, its timeline forks. Then, just as quickly, its two selves reintegrate. Causality, strangely, seems not to mind." —Rukarumel, field journal
Using this here is an example of how it would look (for conveiniance sake I coppied the Essence Sliver from the original thread and changed its ability as it has the same power and toughness)
Synchronous Sliver
Medium Aberration (Sliver)
Hit Dice: 6d8+18 (48 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (+1 Dex, +6 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+6
Attack: Claw +7 melee (1d4+2)
Full Attack: Claw +7 melee (1d4+2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Drain essence
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., hivemind, shared evolution
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 3, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills: Listen +4, Spot +5
Feats: Weapon Focus (Claw), Power Attack, Toughness
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, pair, or legion (1-4 and 2-8 other slivers)
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always True Neutral
Advancement: 7 HD (Medium), 8-10 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: –

The Synchronous Sliver has the ability to split its timeline in order to make two actions at once. Upon completing these actions its two selves rejoin at the end location of one of them. While the effects dealt to both are combine when it rejoins, it is still a powerful weapon.

Fork Timeline (Su)
As a free action a Synchronous Sliver can split its timeline (note: it can do this at the begining of a round befor initiative is considered). This causes it to be able to make two versions of its actions for the remainder of the round both starting at the point that it activated the ability and occuring simultaneously. Until the end of the round the sliver is counted as being in both places and can be treated as if in either location (It still only counts as a single Synchronous Sliver). If damage or other effects are applied to one, they are not applied to the other. If an area of effect ability would consider both to be in range it hits both of them. At the end of the round the effect ends and one disappears (of its choice) rejoining the other. At this time damage and effects delt to the one that dissapeared during the duration of the ability are applied to the other (no saves are made). This ability can not be used again for another 1d4+1 rounds.

Hivemind (Ex)
A Synchronous Sliver can communicate telepathically with all slivers within 60 ft. of it.

Shared Evolution (Ex)
All Slivers within 60 ft. of a Synchronous Sliver gain its fork timeline ability.

This would effectively almost double the number of slivers in an encounter (even though they wouldn't reapply their bonuses). Not sure if the limit on uses is high enough, but even with that limit it can be powerful.

Owrtho