PDA

View Full Version : 4E-Nephilim PEACH

SpydersWebbing
2008-08-08, 12:35 AM
Hey guys, first time poster here. This is a race that alot of people have tried to design since 4th came out and there was no aasimar race. I never liked the name, and since Aasimar sounds cooler... anyway.

In the basic set up of my campaign world it is possible to have angel-ish characters, even with the angel's "non good" status in 4th. Essentially there was a large accident called the Reuniting that mixed parts of the Astral Sea with the Material plane, and some of it got mixed in with the humanoid beings there, making this entirely new race.

Anyway, enough fluff, here's the crunch.

Abillities: +2 Wis, +2 Cha
Skills: +2 Insight +2 Religion
Senses: Low-light vision
Defenses: +1 Reflex +1 Will
Astral Strike: A nephilim may use Astral Strike once per encounter

Astral Strike
With a flash your opponent is shoved back by a wall of bright light from the Astral Sea.
Encounter, Radiant
Minor Action Close Burst 3
Target: One enemy inside of burst.
Attack: Intelligence +2 vs. Will, Wisdom +2 vs. Will, Charisma +2 vs. Will
Hit: 2d8+Charisma modifier radiant damage, and the target is pushed a number of square equal to your Charisma modifier.

Increase to +4 bonus and 3d8+Charisma modifier radiant damage at 11th level, and to +6 bonus and 4d8+Charisma modifier radiant damage

Special: When you create your character choose Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma as the ability score you use when attacking with this power. This choice remains through your character's life, and does not change the power's other effects.

Any thoughts? I've playtested the race a bit, and found them to be very defender-striker prone. They tend to stick to one opponent and stay there, using the Angelic grace only until they absolutely have to leave.

Racial Feats

Heroic Tier

Disconcerting Strike
Your smite sears into the enemy's soul, forcing him to flee in terror
PREREQ: Nephilim, Charisma 13
When you hit with Astral Strike the target is dazed until the end of your next turn.

Paragon Tier

Angelic Blink
Your small steps are more of a glide.[/b]
PREREQ: Nephilim, Wisdom 17
When you shift you may shift two squares instead of one.

Commanding Strike
[i]No one wants to move after being struck so far, right?
PREREQ: Nephilim, Disconcerting Strike, Charisma 17
As Disconcerting Strike, except that the target is stunned.

Epic Tier

Angelic Flash
You've finally tapped fully into the Astral Sea, allowing you to ignore the restraints that most people consider...necessary.
PREREQ: Nephilim, Wisdom or Charisma 21
Once per encounter, if you hit with Astral Strike, you may teleport your Wisdom or Charisma (whichever is higher) modifier in squares as a move action.

EDIT: Took out the marking thing, and reduced it to just radiant damage for Astral Strike. Took out Angelic grace and replaced it with a flat bonus to Reflex and Will defenses.

Upped the damage on Astral Strike, mostly because it only targets one person,and there will be no feats to upgrade the damage further. Gave the race low light vision instead, since there's two defenses that get a bonus here.

FURTHER EDIT: Hit by a sudden "flash" of inspiration I've just changed the power to where it shoves the opponent backwards, and then modified the damage a tad. Now Angelic Flash can keep you with the target!

EVEN FURTHER EDIT: Changed the feats to where the target is dazed at lower levels, and then stunned at epic levels. Nephilim are good at taking out on target, so that's what I decided to make them be able to do.

Tadanori Oyama
2008-08-08, 01:33 PM
Marking with a racial power seems over the top, especailly if you connect it to a class function. Having two damage types is a big deal too.

You shouldn't double post.

SpydersWebbing
2008-08-08, 01:37 PM
The double post is gone.

Hmmm.... why are two energy types a big deal?
Sounds like Angelic Grace should be removed period, since that's based off of marking and giving a race an encounter and shift as a minor action is plain ole broken.

Starsinger
2008-08-08, 01:39 PM
So.. Nephilim is a Defender in a Can?

Hmmm.... why are two energy types a big deal?

In order to resist an attack with two energy types, you have to have resistance to both types. If you have a vulnerability to either energy type, you have a vulnerability to the attack, even if you resist one of the energy types.

SpydersWebbing
2008-08-08, 01:51 PM
Or striker in a can, depending on how you use it. I'll modify it to where it does higher damage, but removes the mark.

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-08-08, 03:25 PM
Oh, very nice. I like the re-tweaking, the ability finally flows now.

Tadanori Oyama
2008-08-08, 03:51 PM
Looks nice. I like the pushing over marking.

Mando Knight
2008-08-09, 08:41 AM
You shouldn't double post.

In general, that's a good rule. I haven't seen the second post (it was removed before I saw this), but many times more experienced Playgrounders will double post when creating a class or race homebrew thread, since it separates the details of the class/race/etc. into a more manageable and readable format.

The damage progression of the racial power is odd, especially if you want it to be as much a damaging (i.e. Striker) move as a status-affliction move. Dragonborns' dragon breath deals 1d6+CON at Heroic tier, 2d6+CON at Paragon, and 3d6+CON at Epic. Compared to the Dragon Breath power, the Astral Strike power (without any feats modifying either one) first deals more damage, but starting at 11th level, deals less (4 less max damage and 2 less average damage at Paragon tier; 6 less max damage, 1 less min damage, and 4.5 less average damage at Epic levels). Including Empowered Dragon Breath (Paragon feat, no stat prerequisites), Dragon Breath becomes a far more powerful attack, since it uses d10s. (20+Con v. 8+Cha max damage, identical min, and 11+Con v. 5+Cha average at Paragon; 30+Con v. 12+Cha max, 3+Con v. 2+Cha min, and 16.5+Con v. 7+Cha average at Epic) It's also low compared to Epic At-Wills, which deal 2[W]+Stat (longsword Holy Strike in a 1-hand grip would be 2d8+Cha, greater than the 2d6+Cha of the Astral Strike), giving the player more power with an At-Will power than with an Encounter power... making the added effects from the racial feats almost necessary to make it relevant at higher levels.

SpydersWebbing
2008-08-09, 02:25 PM
Alright, that's a good point. Upped the damage to alot more, (2d8 to 3d8 to 4d8). Your point about an at will power being more powerful is a good point at epic...