PDA

View Full Version : Sleep (or lack thereof) in the Playground

Admiral_Kelly
2008-08-08, 03:58 AM
I am staying up all night and sleeping all morning waking up as late as 2pm! (Myself posting this thread at 5am is proof of this.) I guess this started since I have been using my laptop later and later. The only effective solution I can think of to get out of this habit is to stay up til the evening then crash and repeat that cycle over til it becomes routine. I doubt I can pull that off.

Any other ideas?

Unique
2008-08-08, 04:04 AM
So basically, your sleep is in the state commonly known as "screwy", "wonky", or "off", and you want help?

I'm sorry, but I'm in the same boat as you.
And, incidentally, you're an hour ahead of me.
Congrats.
I'm currently staying up through the night to reset a routine I screwed up by sleeping until 1PM today (read: yesterday).

reorith
2008-08-08, 04:04 AM
my advice is chew valerian root and get more exercise.

Nychta
2008-08-08, 04:06 AM
To give you an idea of my sleep issues

I saw the title of this thread and went "sleep! want!" and clicked.

Good luck.

Icewalker
2008-08-08, 04:14 AM
I do this too. How old are you? I think it's normal for teenagers to enter this sleep cycle.

Nychta
2008-08-08, 04:23 AM
I'm a teen. I'm active. I think you're right, Icewalker. A few of my friends have experienced this, but I've had this for a while.

Unique
2008-08-08, 04:25 AM
I'm 19, which I suppose makes me a teen, but I think it's more a crusade against nightowlism for me.

Calamity
2008-08-08, 04:25 AM
*yawns*

I went to sleep too late, and go up too early. I think the forums have this effect on people. :smallwink:

Admiral_Kelly
2008-08-08, 04:26 AM
@Icewalker: Nearly nineteen. I am aware it is not abnormal, but it is something that has been a problem for me lately. I have had this pattern for at least a couple of years; but lately it has gotten worse.

CrazedGoblin
2008-08-08, 04:50 AM
*yawns*

I went to sleep too late, and go up too early. I think the forums have this effect on people. :smallwink:

same, I get up early after going to bed late and I really shouldn't heh

Agamid
2008-08-08, 05:33 AM
I have chronic insomnia... the only things that seem to get me to sleep some nights are alcohol (which i refuse to submit to) and making béchamel sauce.
I also need music and utter darkness (i sleep with my eyes open), so often wear a bandana over my eyes. I used to need to listen to a particular album every night to be able to sleep - Disintegration by The Cure - but now it can be any music that i enjoy.
... that probably doesn't help you at all... but i just got home from work and in exhaustion felt like sharing... :smallsmile:

Player_Zero
2008-08-08, 06:22 AM
I woke up at midnight today... Or do I mean yesterday? ...Either way.

Sunlight burnses us...

Gerrtt
2008-08-08, 07:47 AM
For the past three days in a row I've been up four hours later than I usually am regardless of the fact that each day I've gotten up early for work (which in all three cases means I've gotten less than five hours of sleep a night).

Thankfully I'm 24 and basically a walking duracell battery, but man do I want a full nights sleep.

Pocketa
2008-08-08, 10:24 AM
I go to bed at 2am, get up at 8am, every day.

Destro_Yersul
2008-08-08, 11:17 AM
I go to sleep around 10am every morning, and wake up around 6pm every evening. I work graveyard shift, so this is somewhat excusable.

Still, sometimes I don't get a lot of sleep. I've found the bast way to get enough sleep is to.. umm... well, I'm not sure. I'd probably sleep better if I went to bed earlier, and it being dark helps... if you go for the 'stay up until you crash to get your sleep pattern to fix itself' method, which I've done a few times now, I recommend some sort of stimulant. Caffeine works, in most cases.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-08, 11:24 AM
All I can do is point and laugh.

Ahaha, silly people who don't sleep... :smallbiggrin::smallwink:

TwoBitWriter
2008-08-08, 11:29 AM
I used to sleep a very similar sleep schedule all through college, even when I had morning classes I would get up, go to class, then go back to my apartment and sleep again.

Once I graduated and got a day-job, that all ended. I sleep at 10 PM now and wake up at 5:30 AM, work from 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM, then go home and putz around until 10 PM...

I kinda miss my wilder days where something as trivial as a regular sleep schedule was the last thing on my mind. When I preferred to party late and crash at 6 AM wrapped around a friends toilet or waking up at noon in some girls bed (and not remember her name.)

Midnight Son
2008-08-08, 12:12 PM
I woke up at midnight today... Or do I mean yesterday? ...Either way.

Sunlight burnses us...Hey! leave me out of this. I had nothing to do with it. :smallcool:

Trog
2008-08-08, 12:21 PM
My sleep has been terrible lately. I get anywhere from 5-7 hours a night but every morning I feel exhausted and I feel drowsy throughout the day like none of it "took". Working while fighting sleep is not fun.

:smallsigh: <-- me, yawning

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-08-08, 12:50 PM
I'm in a state of restless tiredness 3/4 of the year.

de-trick
2008-08-08, 01:08 PM
was in the same rut, but had other stuff on my mind, ended braking it by going out with my friends later to like 12 and now i got myself on a better sleeping patern, well till last night, never drink a case of redbull and expect to sleep

InABanana
2008-08-08, 03:55 PM
That is what I usually do but at around 11 i have a banana or warm milk. Something that will make me tired. Then i read and i get to tired to stay up late. It works most of the time unless there is something good on t.v.

Mx.Silver
2008-08-08, 08:15 PM
I'm an insomniac. Have been for years. It's generally a good day if I get as much as 5.5 hours. There's never been anything I've been able to do about it though.

Sneak
2008-08-08, 08:32 PM
On weekends or when I'm on vacation, I stay up until around 2:00 or 3:00 AM and then wake up any time from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM (the latest I've ever slept is 6:00 PM). When I have to get up to do something in the morning, I usually go to bed at around midnight and wake up a little earlier than 7:00 AM.

And I hate to break it to you...but 2:00 PM isn't that late. :smalltongue:

Thes Hunter
2008-08-08, 11:39 PM
I get the wonderful experience of spending my Saturday night in the hospital.

Why? Because they think I have sleep apnea... and they want to catch me in the 'act' so to speak.

I will sleep 6 to 10 hours. I try to stave off sleep for as long as possible, but generally I go to bed about 10 to midnight.

I will sleep as long as I can, alarm goes off at 6 on weekdays and I will tend to sleep in until 7. But days like today I woke up at 5:30. Was still tired... but no way I was going back to sleep.

I can then nap at the drop of a hat. I can nap anywhere from an hour to 3. and when I get up, usually I feel like I need a nap for my nap.

I have been dealing with a bit of depression lately... so that has upped my sleep need.... but hopefully I have answers tomorrow... even if it means needing to wear a mask and sound like darth vadar every night. *CRUUAH**HUURRH*

Charity
2008-08-09, 06:54 AM
Thes Vader would rock!

Just think what it would do to our evil overlord cred.

I too struggle with sleep, i tend to stay up till 2 or 3 in the morning then get up at quarter to 7 every day. Every now and then I sleep in till 12 or 1 in the afternoon. In fairness though I am rarely tired... I think I may be a sleep camel...

Gem Flower
2008-08-09, 07:30 AM
I've slept quite soundly recently, seeing as I played basketball for seven hours striaght. For the past four days. Exercise really helps, people.

Kaelaroth
2008-08-09, 07:36 AM
To give you an idea of my sleep issues

I saw the title of this thread and went "sleep! want!" and clicked.

Good luck.

Seconded, for me too. And truth. Yeah.
No shleeping has made me all blurry.

Seffbasilisk
2008-08-09, 07:40 AM
I've exercised. Just keeps me wired.

Chronic insomnia here. Even meds don't really help excepting perhaps to knock me out for a few hours, and leave me groggier then I was.

EmeraldRose
2008-08-09, 09:29 AM
Last night I went to bed around 10pm and slept until our son came in at 8:30 this morning. (Well, minus the waking up when Andre came in after the game, and getting up to go to the bathroom around 2, and waking up every time I needed to shift, and then convincing myself that I really didn't need to pee at 6...)

Otherwise, it was pretty good sleep..

Wizard of the Coat
2008-08-09, 09:32 AM
Stayed up on the forum till 4:30 last night. When I can feel my brains bloodvessels pumping, that's when I know it's time to retire...

Mordokai
2008-08-09, 09:35 AM
I go to sleep around midnight(or somewhat later even) every night and wake up at 5:30 AM during the week and at 9:00 PM at the latest during weekends. I get by fine, just as long as I don't lay down during the day. I don't need a lot of sleep, but thankfully I don't have problems sleeping either. Lack of sleep is best cure for insomnia, if you ask me :smallwink:

Trog
2008-08-09, 09:54 AM
Hopefully I finally caught up on it last night. Not that I slept very well... but still I woke up at a fairly normal time so that bodes well. :smallsmile:

Toil3T
2008-08-10, 04:20 AM
I'm 18 and I have CFS. A symptom of which is insomnia, which has been acting up recently for me. I went to bed at 4:30 this morning and set my alarm for 7- dozed back off until I realized it was 8:30 and that I had rehearsals in another 45 minutes. That got me up. Now I'm exhausted but I probably won't get to sleep until 2 or 3.

Yes, I'm on sleeping tablets and multi vitamins. It helps, but not as much as a sleep spell would. And lack of sleep sometimes helps get rid of the insomnia, but not always.

Thes Hunter
2008-08-10, 06:57 AM
I just got back from my sleep test, and the nurse didn't wake me up in the middle of the night, which means they didn't see the need to fit me with the mask. She couldn't give me the results, but I am assuming they didn't really find anything wrong with me. :smallsigh:

I was kinda hoping they would so I could become less tired.

Leigh
2008-08-10, 03:28 PM
A few weeks ago, I hadn't been sleeping at all....
I'm moving to England, and I also just went through a breakup[which actually helped me sleep better:smallconfused:], so I guess that's why.
Just thought I'd throw it in.

Philistine
2008-08-10, 05:38 PM
Lack of sleep is best cure for insomnia, if you ask me :smallwink:

I'm gonna have to disagree with ya there, Mordokai, because I pretty regularly get to "too tired to function" without ever reaching "tired enough to get a good night's sleep."

My sleep is problematic, it goes like this: Over the past fifteen years or so, I've averaged 4 to 5 hours of sleep a night. But every couple of months I'll have a string of really bad nights where I'm getting 2 hours or less - it usually lasts about a week, and I often end up calling off work the last day or two just because I don't trust myself to drive in that condition, but I'm still not sleeping.

Occasionally I'll crash at the end of one of those runs, meaning I'll have one night where I get a solid 6 to 8 hours; usually I just revert to my "normal" sleep schedule and feel more tired for a few days instead. For the most part, I have to be sick before I can get a good night's sleep.