PDA

View Full Version : I miss OOTS

TheWinterBard
2008-08-08, 11:08 AM
My computer, and others I've tried, won't connect to giantitp anymore (yes, I'm now on one that does, but it's not easy to get to all the time!)... people probably know about this problem (not sure where to post this thread; may be one already), but it makes me sad since it is rare I can check in and my friends' computers don't work for this either! I assume it's connected to the recent server switch... Is this going to be able to be resolved any time soon? It would be lovely, of course! :smallbiggrin:

Shadic
2008-08-08, 11:12 AM
Try a different web-browser.

Aka Firefox 3.

DreadSpoon
2008-08-08, 11:13 AM
That's a really weird problem. The server switch shouldn't be an issue any longer, it happened well over 72 hours ago.

Try this.

Go to Start->Run, then type in cmd.exe, hit enter. In the command shell, type in
nslookup giantitp.com
That should spit out the following IP address somewhere in the output:

If you see a different IP address, something is screwed up either with your computer(s) or your ISP. Are you and your friends all using the same ISP?

Jigsaw Forte
2008-08-08, 11:13 AM
My computer, and others I've tried, won't connect to giantitp anymore (yes, I'm now on one that does, but it's not easy to get to all the time!)... people probably know about this problem (not sure where to post this thread; may be one already), but it makes me sad since it is rare I can check in and my friends' computers don't work for this either! I assume it's connected to the recent server switch... Is this going to be able to be resolved any time soon? It would be lovely, of course! :smallbiggrin:

I would suggest the RSS feed, but it doesn't have images enabled.

TheWinterBard
2008-08-08, 11:23 AM
Shadic: I believe that's the browser I already have, so it shouldn't be that?

DreadSpoon: I'm working with a mac... is there an equivalent procedure I could use?

NerfTW
2008-08-08, 11:49 AM
Also if you have a firewall, make sure that IP range isn't blocked.

Check this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86810) for more info. (Near the end)

Lupy
2008-08-08, 11:54 AM
Perhaps if you have a slower computer you can't link? That's been a problem for me lately on my old computer.

Chronos
2008-08-08, 12:00 PM
DreadSpoon: I'm working with a mac... is there an equivalent procedure I could use?Open a terminal window. If you don't know how to do that, go to Finder, click on the "applications" icon, find and open a folder in there called "utilities", and then in that folder find "terminal"

Once you have a terminal window open, the command is the same as for DOS/Windows.

TheWinterBard
2008-08-08, 03:14 PM
Thanks a lot, guys :smallsmile: I'll try these out and see if it works... If it doesn't you'll probably never know, ironically :smalltongue: Thanks!

Spiky
2008-08-10, 11:33 AM
You can also check your DNS. Open System Preferences, Network, Ethernet (or Airport if you are wireless), TCP/IP. See what is in the DNS Servers field. I always use 4.2.2.2, 4.2.2.3, 4.2.2.4 or others in this range.