PDA

View Full Version : Oh, the Poor Blokes...

SpydersWebbing
2008-08-08, 12:24 PM
So, I'm running my first 4th edition DnD campaign for my friends, right? I decide to put them against the mother of all monsters: The Tarrasque. So I put them in this scenario.

The Players
Torrin- Dragonborn cleric of the Raven Queen
Auri- Dragonborn warlord
Telos- Nephilim Paladin of Pelor(Nephilim's a race I made up, yeah, this is part shameless plug for my race in the homebrew section)

The PC's are level 26, and have finally finished off one of the leaders who's been a major pain their backside since level 15. They run outside, and come face to face with Yeenoghu, Demon Prince of the Gnolls. When they bloody him Yeenoghu runs off, dropping a small dinosaur-esque statue behind. Torrin realizes that this is a Chaos Stone, something meant to summon the Tarrasque from the depths of the earth! They've got about ten minutes.... so they decide to open a portal to Hell and teleport the durned thing there. They've got 10 minutes, why not?

Well, it works. Torrin opens the portal in time for the Tarrasque to come up from the center of the earth. The statue's been placed just inside the portal, and Torrin is standing there jumping up and down (insubstantial, of course) and screaming at the Tarrasque for him to come eat him. The Tarrasque charges through the incorpereal cleric and in through the portal. They shut the portal.

Asmodeus has a new play toy.....

Tadanori Oyama
2008-08-08, 12:28 PM
Must have been a damn big portal! Good solution to the problem. Yeenoghu must have gotten a big laugh out of it too.

SpydersWebbing
2008-08-08, 12:34 PM
That's what I asked the cleric. "You sure you can make a portal this big?"

He just grinned and said the portal size was not specified in the PHB. For amusement's sake I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Frosty
2008-08-08, 12:46 PM
They wanted to let Asmodeus gain control of the Terrasque? Jeez.

Tadanori Oyama
2008-08-08, 12:49 PM
Might be a fun trick to play. The Sque is a 30Solo among Pit Fiend, 25EliteLeads and the like. The Archdevils might be able to hold it back, don't know if they can control it. Problem is they'd have to assault it directly, it has alot of nasty trickies in 4E like not being able to fly above it. And it's a master work of the Primodials, making it anathim to the works of the gods, which as of 4E, includes Asmodeous.

Luckily, it's linked to the Material Plane. The Sque shouldn't, according to the Lore, be able to return to the Core while it's in the Astral Sea! Which means if they can keep it there than the Material Plane is free and clear.

SpydersWebbing
2008-08-08, 01:01 PM
Actually, the way I played it out in my head was this:

The Tarrasque pretty much kills everything on the level he appears in (which in this case is Stygia. RIP). Asmodeus comes down, and sees the problems going on in his plane.

Now if I understand how this works, the primordials made the world, but the gods were the ones who shaped it. Well, Asmodeus does that here. He breaks the tiny brain of the Tarrasque and takes him over. I know he's immune to charm and all that, but Asmodeus is a god now, and I'd assume he could just ignore that.

So now you have a creature of destruction that's being possessed by the god of Hell. The nastiness of that is just delicious.

Tadanori Oyama
2008-08-08, 01:21 PM
Nasty indeed. You're planning to throw a monster that possesses all the destructive forces contained in the world AND the Nine Hells at a group of three players?

I LOVE IT! See, that's the kinda thing Epic Destiny is about!

Another_Poet
2008-08-08, 01:27 PM
The most likely scenario I would see, long before the thing is brought to Asmodeus' attention, is another portal shipping it right on back to the Material. I'm guessing the PCs run out of portal spells faster than all the casters of Hell do.

Still, until they do run out, it's a helluva game of ping-pong.

SpydersWebbing
2008-08-08, 02:08 PM
Nasty indeed. You're planning to throw a monster that possesses all the destructive forces contained in the world AND the Nine Hells at a group of three players?

I LOVE IT! See, that's the kinda thing Epic Destiny is about!

Well, see, Asmodeus won't do that. Yet. The PC's at the moment are taking are trying to kill Orcus for him, who has done his own little dastardly scheme.

Orcus has managed to change the very nature of the Shadowfell itself, making it able to "swallow" the Material Plane and the Feywild into itself. The necrotic energies of this New World would transform all the beings in it to shambling undead corpses. Asmodeus doesn't like this idea, since it would deprive him of further souls. If anything, Asmodeus wants to HELP the party.

He'll send the damned thing in the final fight to teach Orcus a lesson!