PDA

View Full Version : ndiana Jones reference

Linkavitch
2008-08-08, 02:07 PM
I was re-reading the comic, and I came across Nale saying to Pompey in strip# 258, "It's not the years, kid, it's the Mileage." Which is exactly what Indy said to Mutt after Mutt said, "You're what, like, eighty?" I just thought this was really weird, as Pompey is a half-elf, and Indy said that to Mutt before he found out Mutt was his son...
I'm just sayin'...

kpenguin
2008-08-08, 02:10 PM
It's a common saying.

NerfTW
2008-08-08, 02:13 PM
It's also something he said in Raiders of the Lost Ark when Marion said "You're not the man I knew years ago."

And if you're trying to imply that Nale might be Pompey's father, that would require a bit of time travelling, seeing as how Nale is 21 and Pompey is 43.

Theodoriph
2008-08-08, 02:15 PM
That expression is a pretty common one. Indiana Jones wasn't the first person who has said it, nor was he the last. :smalltongue: While it's quite possible the Giant used that specific usage of the expression as inspiration, it's likely not probable. It really is quite a common saying.

Edit: Ninja'd

Yendor
2008-08-08, 02:57 PM
(rolls eyes) That strip's three years old.

Felixaar
2008-08-08, 09:18 PM
Uh, actually, Indy doesn't say anything to Mutt when Mutt says "What are you like eighty?" he just continues to study Ox's letter, then leaps up saying it's a riddle. I remember this because I always thought it was odd that Indy shows no reaction other than complete ignorance. When you think about it that statement would make little effect in that particular context anyway.

Though, as mentioned, he did say it Raider's of the Lost Ark. And I do believe I will eat my hat, good sir, if Pompey is Nale's son.

This has been a message from the Pedantic Film Society.

Zolem
2008-08-09, 10:37 AM
That expression is a pretty common one. Indiana Jones wasn't the first person who has said it, nor was he the last. Edit: Ninja'd

ACtually, he was the first one to say it, in RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARC. Anyone else who says it is doing a movie quote.

d'Bwobsling
2008-08-09, 10:51 AM
Also pretend you're Harrison Ford (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0511.html), and I'm sure there's others

Kish
2008-08-09, 10:51 AM
(rolls eyes) That strip's three years old.
Did you have a point?

FujinAkari
2008-08-09, 11:09 AM
Did you have a point?

Well yes... if the OP is asking if a strip written three years ago is a reference to a movie which came out 4 months ago...

yeah, thats sort of the point.

Om
2008-08-09, 11:09 AM
Did you have a point?Given that the OP insinuated that Rich lifted a quote from a film that's three months old I think he has an excellent point

Kish
2008-08-09, 04:06 PM
Ah, I see. Didn't know which Indiana Jones film the quote was supposed to be from. (I've seen a grand total of one Indiana Jones film.)

Halvormerlinaky
2008-08-09, 11:07 PM
Ah, I see. Didn't know which Indiana Jones film the quote was supposed to be from. (I've seen a grand total of one Indiana Jones film.)

Get thee to a rental store. NOW!

Zolem
2008-08-10, 11:41 AM

I hope it wasn't Crystal Skull. That movie sucked.

snoopy13a
2008-08-10, 11:57 AM

I thought it was ok. I put it above Temple of Doom and below Raiders and Last Crusade.

Although, the dinner scene in Temple of Doom is one of the highlights in the series...

Snake Surprise, Chilled Monkey Brain, Eyeball Soup, it's all good :smallyuk:

Kish
2008-08-10, 01:16 PM
It was Last Crusade.

Graymayre
2008-08-10, 01:34 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is not an indiana jones movie and never will be.

NerfTW
2008-08-10, 02:07 PM
It was Last Crusade.

If so, then he said it in two movies.

Because as I pointed out above, he says it to Marion in Raiders. But god forbid someone read the entire thread before asking.

CaptainIreland
2008-08-10, 05:36 PM
If so, then he said it in two movies.

Because as I pointed out above, he says it to Marion in Raiders. But god forbid someone read the entire thread before asking.

I think Kish was saying he the only Indy movie he saw was Last Crusade...the back and forth quotes easily lend themselves to that conclusion.

Felixaar
2008-08-10, 06:19 PM
Yeah.

So, I vote we should drop this topic before we get into a movie discussion. Agreed?

stabbybelkar
2008-08-11, 02:37 AM
agreed:smallannoyed: