PDA

View Full Version : Time Lord [3.5] [Epic Destiny]

The Demented One
2008-08-08, 02:15 PM
Time Lord
A 3.5 Epic Destiny (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080428)

Time Lords are travelers of time itself, wanderers who journey throughout the years. Other adventurers might travel the whole of the world, or visit distant and alien planes, a Time Lord can see all of creation, from its very beginning to its end. Time Lords gain their power through a metamorphosis, a transformation that heralds the dawn of their epic destiny. A rift in time itself opens within the Time Lord’s soul, allowing him to act as a living conduit of temporal energy. Complimenting this metaphysical transformation, a physical one ensues as well: a second heart grows within the Time Lord’s chest, a twin to the one he was born with. As his destiny progresses, this second heart will allow the Time Lord to regenerate, recovering from death by drawing on all the power of time itself.

Requirements 21st level

{table=head]Level|Benefit
21st|Child of Time, Time Walk
24th|Temporal Projection
27th|Regeneration
30th|Wrath of a Time Lord
[/table]

Child of Time (Ex)
You are both lord and child of time, and it will not let you come to harm. You cannot be slowed or stopped by spells that affect time, such as slow or temporal stasis[i]. However, your movement can still be physical hindered, such as by effects like grappling, entanglement, or paralysis. You may act normally during a [i]time stop spell cast by a character that you are in an encounter with, whether they are ally or enemy, taking a round of action for every round the caster takes. However, you cannot affect or harm creatures other than the caster, as normal for the time stop spell.

Time Walk (Sp)
At 21st level, you gain the power to traverse the Time Vortex, traveling through the years. Once per day, you may use teleport through time (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030409b) as a spell-like ability, with caster level equal to your character level. However, you may choose to travel either into the future or the past, and you subtract half your character level from the chance of a mishap occurring, to a minimum of 0%. You do not have to pay the XP cost of the spell, but you must pay 100 XP every time you use this ability.

Temporal Projection (Sp)
At 24th level, you can call for help from your own future, using a quick time paradox to double yourself. You may use the time duplicate epic spell once per day as a spell-like ability. You must expend 500 XP every time you use this ability.

Regeneration (Ex)
At 27th level, your second heart acts as a conduit between the vortex of time itself and your own body, allowing you the power to defy death itself: regeneration. Whenever you die, your body is flooded with temporal energy. Your body is both healed and transformed, taking on the shape it might have had in an alternate timeline, as your body draws life from an alternate you. You are resurrected and restored to full health, without level loss, negative levels, or any other penalties. You cannot regenerate if your body is disintegrated or otherwise completely destroyed.

However, your body also transforms. Your physical appearance changes: you may increase or decrease your height and weight by up to 10% of your norma size, alter your hair, eye, and skin color, and change your facial and other physical features. While the player chooses the physical transformations, he cannot choose not to transform: a Time Lord’s difference is always drastically changed after regenerating. You cannot change your race or your class levels, but you may change your gender if you wish. You can choose your physical age, which may cause you to gain or lose age modifiers to your physical ability scores, although it never affects your age modifiers to mental ability scores. You can redistribute your skill points and re-choose your feats, as well as your spells, powers, maneuvers, or similar abilities known, though you cannot change them such that you no longer meet the prerequisites for a feat, prestige class or other ability. You may change your alignment by one step along either the Chaos-Law axis or the Evil-Good axis.

Note that while the player determines the effects of the regeneration, the character does not. The character has no control at all over the regeneration, nor does he know what the results of the transformation will be. A Time Lord can regenerate a total of twelve times. Once he has expended all of his regenerations, he can no longer regenerate, though he can be raised or resurrected normally. A wish or miracle spell, or similar effects, can grant a full cycle of twelve new regenerations to a Time Lord who has expended all of his. A Time Lord may choose not to regenerate when he dies.

Wrath of a Time Lord (Su)
At 30th level, you can draw inconceivable power from the Time Vortex into yourself, becoming almost a god for one brief moment - but at great cost. You may use wrath of a time lord once per day as a swift action. You gain damage reduction 30/epic, spell resistance equal to 21 + your character level, resistance 50 to acid, cold, electricity, and fire, and a +10 bonus on all saving throws. You become immune to ability damage or drain, death effects, disease, disintegration and poison. Once per round, as a standard action, you may fire either a 50-ft. cone or a 100-ft. line of temporal energy that weakens and ages all creatures in it. They take 30d6 damage, and 1d12 points of Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution drain. A successful Fortitude save, DC 25 + your highest mental ability score modifier, halves the damage and reduces the ability drain to ability damage.

However, these powers come at great cost. Every time you use the temporal energy effect, you must make a Fortitude save, at the same DC, or gain a negative level. It does not risk becoming permanent, but cannot be removed magically (including by resurrection spells or your own regeneration). Instead, the negative levels heal naturally at a rate of 1 negative level/week. The wrath of a time lord last for 10 rounds. At the end, you immediately die and regenerate, assuming you have any regenerations left. However, you come back to life at 1 hp, rather than full hp.

Parting of the Ways
With your epic destiny completed, you set out to wander the whole of time forever, setting right what went wrong. The world may never know the countless threats you save it from in past, present, or future, but your unseen, unknown presence is all that stands between it and certain ruin.

expirement10K14
2008-08-08, 03:21 PM
Great idea, but there is a few things that bug me about it.

XP costs seem out of place- Other epic destinies give bonuses that, in my opinion, are more useful in a standard game, but do not cost any XP.

Although shifting through time back 10 minutes to replace your self in a fight after healing could be very useful.

Regeneration is also potentially broken- Say there is an epic BBEG coming to attack you, and a certain feat/skill/spell that you don't have could have a huge effect, you can just do what you can, die, then regenerate with the feat/skill/spell and destroy it, and also use the Time Walk Ability to go back before you died and destroy- making you disappear as you never died in the new time line, and now you have not used regeneration, but did something you couldn't of done without it.

I am seeing this as useful in your Paradox Wars campaign.

Draken
2008-08-08, 03:46 PM
The current you must now die, assign those feats and go back in time, or you cease to exist and the villain springs back to life as if nothing had happened.

I see no paradox. Only certainty. Only inevitability.

The Demented One
2008-08-09, 12:49 PM
XP costs seem out of place- Other epic destinies give bonuses that, in my opinion, are more useful in a standard game, but do not cost any XP.
I'll consider stripping the teleport through time XP cost, but I'd be very nervous about allowing epic magic without some penalty.

Although shifting through time back 10 minutes to replace your self in a fight after healing could be very useful.
Can't, there's a minimum time traveled of one day.

Regeneration is also potentially broken- Say there is an epic BBEG coming to attack you, and a certain feat/skill/spell that you don't have could have a huge effect, you can just do what you can, die, then regenerate with the feat/skill/spell and destroy it, and also use the Time Walk Ability to go back before you died and destroy- making you disappear as you never died in the new time line, and now you have not used regeneration, but did something you couldn't of done without it.
Mmm, handling that kind of temporal paradox is left up to the DM, but I'd be inclined to disallow it. For those of you in Paradox Wars, the "no direct interference in your personal history" rule takes care of that.

I am seeing this as useful in your Paradox Wars campaign.
It was made, in fact, by a few players' request.

expirement10K14
2008-08-09, 09:09 PM
I'll consider stripping the teleport through time XP cost, but I'd be very nervous about allowing epic magic without some penalty.

Can't, there's a minimum time traveled of one day.

Mmm, handling that kind of temporal paradox is left up to the DM, but I'd be inclined to disallow it. For those of you in Paradox Wars, the "no direct interference in your personal history" rule takes care of that.

It was made, in fact, by a few players' request.

Did not notice to one a day, that makes it much less broken

The whole paradox would, in theory (i.e. DM disgression) undo itself, bringing you back to right before you died, although this could get fairly complicated. Time travel is bad to mess with unless the DM is up to brain hurts. I learned this the hard way.

I can definately tell.

Again, great idea. I wish I had enough focus and talent to get something like this done. My homebrew is, ah, complicated and badly worded.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-08-09, 10:15 PM
I am so very glad that I showed you those 3.5 epic destinies.

The Demented One
2008-08-10, 03:59 PM
I am so very glad that I showed you those 3.5 epic destinies.
I'm...epically...overjoyed.

thevorpalbunny
2008-08-10, 09:23 PM
I assume the resurrection limit is from the show? Going along with the existing epic destinies, you could have it be unlimited without trouble.

Totally awesome in any case. As usual.

kamikasei
2008-08-15, 08:06 AM
You may act normally during a time stop spell, taking a round of action for every round the caster takes. However, you cannot affect or harm creatures other than the caster, as normal for the time stop spell.

This seems problematic. Time stop is personal-range, targeting only the caster. There's no area of effect for the Time Lord to be caught in. Doesn't this imply that any time any mage anywhere casts the spell, the Time Lord is wrenched out of time and stuck waiting for some caster god-knows-where to finish what he's doing so he can resume his conversation?

On the destiny generally, me likey.

The Demented One
2008-08-15, 08:07 AM
This seems problematic. Time stop is personal-range, targeting only the caster. There's no area of effect for the Time Lord to be caught in. Doesn't this imply that any time any mage anywhere casts the spell, the Time Lord is wrenched out of time and stuck waiting for some caster god-knows-where to finish what he's doing so he can resume his conversation?

Hmm. Maybe make it encounter-specific.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-08-15, 08:11 AM
Soooo taking it...

The Demented One
2008-08-15, 08:15 AM
Soooo taking it...
I thought you might.

kamikasei
2008-08-15, 08:26 AM
Hmm. Maybe make it encounter-specific.

Perhaps add a provision that the TL has to have line of sight on the caster or otherwise be aware of the casting in order to join in the time stop.

Duke of URL
2008-08-15, 08:56 AM
I assume the resurrection limit is from the show? Going along with the existing epic destinies, you could have it be unlimited without trouble.

Totally awesome in any case. As usual.

Yes, 12 is from the show. Granting another 12 with a wish or miracle should be a pretty trivial exercise for 27+ level characters, so it seems to be mostly a "flavor" restriction designed as an homage to the show that inspired it.

thevorpalbunny
2008-08-15, 11:44 AM
The wish/miracle thing wasn't there before. I like it muchly.

Scaboroth
2008-08-17, 12:52 AM
I would have to assume that adding a clause to extend the number of regenerations past 12 is a nod to The Master, and his propensity to find a way to extend his life no matter how impossible-seeming the circumstances. How many lives has this black cat been through by now?

Galileo
2008-08-19, 12:10 AM
This is the best D&D rendition of Time Lords I've seen, and I've been trawling the internet for them for a few months now. I don't know much about epic PrCs, so I can't suggest anything, but great job!

Scaboroth
2008-08-24, 04:16 AM
I know that even bringing up this question probably makes me a drooling fanboy *sigh* but whatever.
How would you stat up the Doc himself? Assuming a 30-level build so that he can make full use of the epic destiny.
My guess would be something like Factotum/Artificer? Maybe a little Psion?

DracoDei
2008-08-24, 05:34 AM
I am thinking AT LEAST 10 levels of Lore Master... guy can analyze ANYTHING by brainpower, never mind psionics or "Analyze Dweomer" or such "cheating"...
Then again I am hardly knowledgiable on the subject...

cloneof
2008-08-24, 06:58 AM
I would just rather download Time Lord RPG then homebrew Time Lord into D&D.

Great gomebrewing though.

The Demented One
2008-08-24, 08:20 AM
Psychic Artificier/Factotum/Gadgeteer Genius (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71705).

BobVosh
2008-08-25, 12:16 AM
The whole paradox would, in theory (i.e. DM disgression) undo itself, bringing you back to right before you died, although this could get fairly complicated. Time travel is bad to mess with unless the DM is up to brain hurts. I learned this the hard way.

Wibbely-wobbely timey-wimey stuff. Geez, Watch the show.

Psychic Artificier/Factotum/Gadgeteer Genius (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71705).

Bah, he probably took adept (yes the npc class) to loremaster. Nothing but.

Fortuna
2009-03-25, 01:55 AM
This is... epic.

Ironically, I just homebrewed History Monks (from Terry Prattchett) and I was wondering what to do for an ED. Now I know.