PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Monetary system and Magic effects (3.5)

brant167
2008-08-08, 02:49 PM
Hey, I am looking for some feedback on a idea I am working on for a upcoming game. Does this seem like a good rule? Do the prices seem out of wack?

THe monetary system is based off of Sigils which are physical manifestations of a sentient beings soul. These were a gift to mortals from Irone, the goddess of hope, in order to allow the worthy beings to enter into a afterlife. In order for a soul to pass off into a afterlife the Sigil’s magical properties must be used. When used these Sigils form a magic effect that can mimic a first level spell. One can combined multiple Sigils to create a greater magical effect. One Sigil is the equilivant of 100 gold pieces.

Level 1 spell- 1 Sigil
Level 2 spell- 4 Sigils
Level 3 spell- 9 Sigils
Level 4 spell- 16 Sigils
Level 5 spell- 25 Sigils
Level 6 spell- 36 Sigils
Level 7 spell- 49 Sigils
Level 8 spell- 64 Sigils
Level 9 spell- 81 Sigils

The Sigils count as material components for spells however they do not substitute the experience cost of any spell. Sigils can also be used for more power effects, pending DM approval. The use of a sigil or multiple combined sigil takes a full round action or the time it takes to cast said spell; which ever is greater.

Lochar
2008-08-08, 02:55 PM
Let me get this straight. You require these Sigils to enter the afterlife. Or at least the good afterlife.

They can be used to create magical effects, and I'm assuming that they're used up then.

You've just put a price on the cost of entering heaven, and that price is 100gp. And anyone using these little things for anything other than entering heaven is literally the blackest of black mages, burning up to 81 soul's passage into the afterlife, all for the ability to get an extra spell effect.

brant167
2008-08-08, 03:01 PM
One requires these Sigils to be used to get into the after life if they arn't used then the soul is trapped on the material plane. So, they need to be expelled as a magic effect. This is usually used as a illusion spell of the person at a funeral. However they are also traded by some evil countries as currencies and traded on the black market through out the material plane.

Lochar
2008-08-08, 03:02 PM
Ah, that makes a difference. I thought it was like Charn's coins which are placed on the eyes to give them passage to the afterlife. Not 'use this so they can actually pass beyond.'

Blanks
2008-08-08, 04:12 PM
But the complaint is still valid - anyone who does'nt fire these sigils off immediately is doing an evil deeds. He is keeping a soul out of heaven, which smells a lot like creating undeads.

Not exactly the same, but smells like it.

Funkyodor
2008-08-08, 06:00 PM
But the complaint is still valid - anyone who does'nt fire these sigils off immediately is doing an evil deeds. He is keeping a soul out of heaven, which smells a lot like creating undeads.

Not exactly the same, but smells like it.

But on the flip side, he could be keeping a soul out of Hell. Me personally, if I'd done some bad stuff and was sentanced to Hell, I'd rather they keep me in the Prime Material for a while.

bosssmiley
2008-08-09, 03:49 AM
The Dungeonomicon (http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=28547) did similar, with captured souls (captured with trap the soul, souldrinker enhancement or Thinuan weapons, certain PrC abilities, etc.) acting as a planar currency. A soul had a trade value of CR x CR x 100gp IIRC.

Just assign souls an appropriate XP equivalence value (1/25th of their gp value?) for the purposes of expending them in spellcasting or item creation.

Of course, burning off souls to power your magic is going to stain your whiter-than-white alignment and greatly annoy the heirs and assigns of those so exploited. It's also likely to attract the attention of your campaign world's Anubis/Wee Jas equivalent... :smallwink:

monty
2008-08-09, 09:24 AM
Of course, burning off souls to power your magic is going to stain your whiter-than-white alignment and greatly annoy the heirs and assigns of those so exploited. It's also likely to attract the attention of your campaign world's Anubis/Wee Jas equivalent... :smallwink:

My understanding was that it was a good thing, because not using them prevented the soul from entering the appropriate afterlife.

One requires these Sigils to be used to get into the after life if they arn't used then the soul is trapped on the material plane. So, they need to be expelled as a magic effect.

I could be mistaken, though.

brant167
2008-08-09, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the information Bossmilley, will look into it.

Yes, releasing the soul by using the magical energy as soon as possible is a good act. Keeping the soul on the material plane halts the being from seeing his final judgment; which could be evil depending on the reasoning.

Example: A dictator hording the souls of the dead political prisoners so they can not be raised or communicated with via magical effects would be a evil act.

However the Dwarf race saving the Sigil's in order to use them to magically fortify their society with their deceased loved ones would be a lawful act.