PDA

View Full Version : Ah those little rules. 3.5ed

Stormageddon
2008-08-08, 03:00 PM
So in the current campaign my DM is running the party was fighting the big bad of the game whom happened to be a were-wolf. We knocked it down to a couple of hit points so it was trying to escape down a stair case. I run up and attack I roll a 16 (by this point we had figured out that we needed at least 17 to hit.) This was going to be the last chance we got to attack before it escaped. So we sat there for a sec pondering our bad luck, but after a few seconds I remember "Wait, higher ground bonus! +1!" The DM wasn't buying it and made me look up the rule. That was a sweet kill.

What little rules in the game have save the day for your party?

sonofzeal
2008-08-08, 07:07 PM
So in the current campaign my DM is running the party was fighting the big bad of the game whom happened to be a were-wolf. We knocked it down to a couple of hit points so it was trying to escape down a stair case. I run up and attack I roll a 16 (by this point we had figured out that we needed at least 17 to hit.) This was going to be the last chance we got to attack before it escaped. So we sat there for a sec pondering our bad luck, but after a few seconds I remember "Wait, higher ground bonus! +1!" The DM wasn't buying it and made me look up the rule. That was a sweet kill.

What little rules in the game have save the day for your party?

Here's a look from the other side.

During a fight against my "pet", an advanced Gibbering Mouther, the party was doing rather poorly to say the least. The fighter was fleeing under the effect of "confusion", the ranger was blind, and the wizard and bard were engulfed and gibbering. Right before the wizard died due to bloodloss, he finally made his will save and tried to cast Teleport. I asked him to roll two Concentration checks - one for casting defensively (since one AoO and he's down), and one for casting while grappled/pinned. He passed the first, then failed the second by 1. Five minutes later, he goes "no wait, I was missing a rank! I pass!". Five minutes after THAT I clue in that, with all his Con damage, his Concentration's been dropping too. Game over.

Both the players were tired of those characters anyway. =P

ericgrau
2008-08-08, 07:58 PM
That's it! I'm copying my sig over from the WotC forums. All the obscure rules are right there.

Taim's situation is on the rules sheet, under "combat modifiers".

sonofzeal's situation would be covered on the character sheet next to "Con" under "Affects", if I didn't change concentration in the consolidated skill system. But a similar character sheet using standard rules would include it, if I ever get around to making one. The other rules stuff already has both a standard rules version and consolidated skill system version.

Mina Kobold
2008-08-09, 07:31 AM
my party has been saved many times because of the rule that dwarves and gnomes get +1 against goblins and we are only fighting zombies there is just no rules abaout that they (the goblins) has to bee alive. :amused: