PDA

View Full Version : PADI Certified in the Playground

Icewalker
2008-08-08, 04:40 PM
Anybody else a diver? In the last 10 days I got both my Open Water certification then went back for Advanced Open Water. Once I get home to CA I'm gonna grab Nitrox and Dry Suit, then get Wreck Diver, which is what I'm really interested in.

Amazing visibility here in Hawaii...lowest I had was 75 ft (if you discount the night dive).

CrazedGoblin
2008-08-08, 04:42 PM
im a BSAC diver, going up the first aid rescue diver route at the moment :smallbiggrin:

Jack Squat
2008-08-08, 05:05 PM
I've got my "Advanced Open Water" (I prefer calling it the older name, Open Water II) through NAUI, and next week am taking classes to become Nitrox certified.

I'll probably try to get all the certifications I can, just to have them under my belt. I really don't plan on cave diving or rescue/recovery, but I still feel it would be nice to have some knowledge if the need arises.

Icewalker
2008-08-08, 05:18 PM
I didn't know NAUI was even still around, but to be fair I know absolutely nothing about it. My parents are NAUI certified, but haven't dived in 10 years, except my mom who came and did a few dives while I got my AOW.

One of the big things I like from it is the college credit. One semester hour for...every individual anything. 5 day OW class is one, 3 day AOW class is one, every 2 day specialty is another...With getting into college being about 'extracurricular activities' this seems like a good addition.

Wizard of the Coat
2008-08-08, 05:22 PM
I'm PADI certified as a diver, though I'd have to take a refreshment course first before I'm going down. Picked it up whilst living in the middle east...beatifull waters...

Jack Squat
2008-08-08, 05:29 PM
Yeah, NAUI is still one of the big ones, although it's probably a regional thing as to which one's more popular.

For college, we've only got the normal OW class that allows credit, and it's more expensive than getting it through the SCUBA club. the SCUBA club here has free rentals of equipment, but I'm probably not going to get too much use out of that unless I need some special equipment (like lift bags), as all I really need to complete my basic gear is the BC and weight belt.

If anyone's looking for a good place to buy gear, I'd definetly go with Ebay. I got an entire reg set (first stage, regulator -still under warranty-, console, octopus, BC hose) for $160 including shipping. The most that was wrong with it was that I needed to clean out some spider webs.

Icewalker
2008-08-08, 05:38 PM
Mmm, nice. I should look into that, all I have are fins/booties and mask.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-08-08, 09:16 PM
PADI Certified in the Playground
My dad is...

ForzaFiori
2008-08-09, 12:03 AM
I THINK my cousin is, though I can't say for certain. I considered it, but then decided not to, as I'm not near water thats worth diving in.

reorith
2008-08-09, 12:13 AM
i snorkel and scuttle canoes. totally irrelevant to this thread, but that is the extent of my sub aquatic activities. sad but true

SurlySeraph
2008-08-09, 12:23 AM
I have my basic certification, which I got a few months ago.

dish
2008-08-09, 10:32 AM
I got my Basic Open Water in Okinawa years ago. But I haven't really kept it up. The best diving I had, though, was in Manado in Sulawesi (aka Celebes) in Indonesia. In comparison to more touristy places like Bali or Thailand, the water was crystal-clear, visibility was staggering, the beaches were pure white sand, the fish were abudant, tropical and beautiful, and we could pick bananas off nearby trees for lunch.

Umm, I really should take diving up again...