PDA

View Full Version : "All dolled up with nowhere to go" in the Playground (Beauty/Makeup)

Pocketa
2008-08-08, 05:54 PM
If there's already another beauty/makeup themed thread somewhere, feel free to delete this, or if it's in the wrong section, feel free to move it.

I remember back in the day, I broke my grandma's lipstick, by drawing with them on the mirror and using them incorrectly, and they were totally destroyed. It was expensive makeup too. I was maybe 7.

I didn't touch makeup again until 7th grade, because at the middle school I went to, all the girls (literally all) used makeup, and I had really bad acne, so I used powder (ghostly white) and foundation (generic peach, but I'm tan/asian in complexion) unsuccessfully. I got acne cream, and I haven't used foundation and the like since. I used to have a simple makeup pallette, I got in 8th grade, but my lil' cousin, maybe 10, has it right now, and she's in another country, so she's just going to keep it (it wasn't expensive).

I have an Amazon giftcard and I'm thinking of getting my first serious makeup kit. I've been looking into the BR brand of cosmetics. I'm lucky that I have pretty nice features already (I grew into my eyebrows <at last!> over last summer, and I have nice eyes, long lashes, etc.) but I sometimes just want to add some color to my look, mostly eyeshadow.

Hopefully, this list'll be viewable:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/2ZYJQ11NQCZ0D/ref=reg_hu-wl_goto-registry?ie=UTF8&sort=date-added

The makeup sets I've looked at can be found there. I'd like a large selection of eyeshadows within one package, and so far, I found a set with nearly 200 for a nice price, but unfortunately, it's probably really small, because they didn't list the size in the listng.

I really recommend the double-colored mascara that I think is from Max Factor. I got the brown and blonde duo as well as the blue and pink. One puts the darker base coat on and the topcoat adds color and shine. The b/b duo was a lot more visible, but my hair sort of matches it (orangey brown highlights on chestnut hair) and the blue was too close to my natural blackish lashes to really show up, and the pink was really just viewable on the tips, but it would probably work better for fairer-haired people (contrast?).

Also, Hot Topic's lipstick, I used it once before, but it was a friend's old tube, and it was dry and grainy and felt grody on my lips, but I got a tube recently, in black, and the color is great. I'm going to get the red next.

I'm a steampunk, for reference for recommendations, with a limited budget.

zeratul
2008-08-08, 05:59 PM
Hi, just out of curiosity, what would you guys reccomend one use for makeup of this variety (http://www.christopherporter.com/images/gorgoroth.jpg)

Pocketa
2008-08-08, 06:19 PM
That's sort of low-res, and its not in color.

Regardless.

I'd recommend putting your base on (setting powder/foundation) in white. Also, maybe make the lines for the tattoo-style bits ahead of time, and do the base around it, then fill the lines in. You will need other people to help you.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-08-08, 07:10 PM
I'm told I look good when I bother to wear a suit or I have to slip into uniform.

Wait - does manly fashion count?

xPANCAKEx
2008-08-08, 07:27 PM
maybe we should start a seperate "style for the discerning gentlemen" thread?

Pyrian
2008-08-08, 07:33 PM
Speaking as a heterosexual guy, I find makeup to be a turnoff - especially if it looks unnatural, which most do. I'm attracted to women, and I find it almost incomprehensible that an otherwise attractive woman would want to look, well, less like a woman.

...Even if it looks natural, I don't want it getting smeared on me. :smalltongue:

Felixaar
2008-08-08, 07:39 PM
I'm in agreeance with Pyrian here - I'm anti-make-up and perfume for that matter.

But hey, different people are into different things.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-08-08, 07:42 PM
Speaking as a heterosexual guy, I find makeup to be a turnoff - especially if it looks unnatural, which most do. I'm attracted to women, and I find it almost incomprehensible that an otherwise attractive woman would want to look, well, less like a woman.

...Even if it looks natural, I don't want it getting smeared on me. :smalltongue:

Quoted for Truth! I can definatly appreciate the allure of a woman who hasn't covered up with make-up.

Perfume, however... I'm not sure if its the perfume the woman wears or her natural scent, but the smell of a good woman is... intoxicating.

ColonelFuster
2008-08-08, 07:42 PM
Perfume is great, as long as it's not overpowering. Make-up, I can do without, unless there's photography involved. Then I understand why girls would want to look like they have make-up on- it gets rid of the shine and annoying lines that only really matter on print.
That being said! I can really approve of artful mascare. It can really make a difference if your lashes just aren't.

Ego Slayer
2008-08-08, 08:14 PM
Okay, question for you guys who don't much like make-up. How much is too much? Is anything at all too much? Is just eyeliner, mascara, eyeshadow, etc. fine if used sparsely, or separately? I don't like when women plaster everything on either, or too much of one thing. However, I do think some make-up can be attractive if done right. Where exactly do you draw the line?

Pocketa
2008-08-08, 08:17 PM
Men are welcome, hence my use of gender-neutral nouns. At least, I hope mine all were.

Suits are neat, it's really how clothes fit onto somebody rather than the style that matters to me though.

EDIT 1:

@ Ego Slayer:

I think if a person looks more than 5% different (so 1/20th) than they did before AFTER they put on makeup, it's too much.

I.e. 1/20th or more of their skin is covered in makeup.

That's a pretty big patch though. Mascara isn't that visible unless it clumped, etc. Well done makeup is the makeup that you can't tell is makeup, in the case of things that are used to fix complexions, extend lashes, etc. Things that you look like you are born with. Nobody is born with green eyeshadow (I think) so that's not included. I don't knowthe border for that.

I am just into eyeshadow palettes right now. I can't ever decide on certain colors, and I charge 25 cents/application at school doing makeovers (I use Q-tips for sanitary reasons) and I need variety in the packs.

I'm the House Bunny, basically.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-08-08, 08:41 PM
Make-up: Too much is any point where I can tell shes waring makeup. If the conversation goes "Yeah, I like wearing make-up", my response should be either "Couldn't tell!" or "Yeah, purple/blue eyeshadow is gorgeous on you"
Lipstick is fine, mascara/foundation/blush/cover-up/all that fun stuff shouldn't be noticable. Eyeline is a bit difficult to judge.

Suits: I have a cheap, baggy one and one I got custom-tailored in Hong Kong for about the same price.
Yay for Special Ecomics Districts.

Anyway, it fits alot like my uniform, which is a good thing.
Pretty much a standard, four-button cut. I'm told it looks very nice. I'm going to have to post something in the You thread with me wearing it, eventually.

zeratul
2008-08-08, 08:47 PM
Okay, question for you guys who don't much like make-up. How much is too much? Is anything at all too much? Is just eyeliner, mascara, eyeshadow, etc. fine if used sparsely, or separately? I don't like when women plaster everything on either, or too much of one thing. However, I do think some make-up can be attractive if done right. Where exactly do you draw the line?

My general opinion is that eye makeup and lipstick are both fine but other face makeup is rather odd unless its being worn for a specific reason. Also cool eye makeup is awesome, people who can actually pull off doing weird shades of it and such should totally do it.

de-trick
2008-08-08, 08:52 PM
want to now how to keep a guys face clean from acknee, im not a crater face, just one here and there, i just been popping them but it kind of hurts, now feeling my face i should shave 2morrow or before i go out again

I would just leave it but, i dont have a full coat yet, more of a couple black hairs hear and there, and looks kind of funny, didnt shave for a month and only place that grew out was right on my checks and made it look like i was a cat, with whiskers

Thanatos 51-50
2008-08-08, 09:27 PM
Time, my dear friend de-trick, time or cover-up if you're really self-concious about it.
Alternativly, you could wash your face often, not eat greasey foods, use some of those neat anti-achne pads...
Its a pretty big business, as far as I'm aware, stateside.

I just waited it out as a kid. I still break out horribly if I've been underway for a while.

Nychta
2008-08-08, 09:38 PM
The most I ever use would be eyeliner or mascara to accent my eyes. It's pretty rare that I can be bothered, but it makes a big difference.

When my friend put blush on me, it looked good, but I wouldn't bother.

Thes Hunter
2008-08-09, 12:48 PM
Yeah Mascara and eyeliner do make a huge difference, I have been trying to make a habit out of the 'bother' though. I buy the stuff I might as well use it. =]

I also like to 'bling' my toe nails. It's not enough for me to have them painted, I want them to be all glittery and sparkly too.

After bemoaning the fact that I couldn't find my favorite star glitter nail polish, a co-worker suggested a craft store (Hobby Lobby). Of course I went right off and got some glitter....

however, I believe I have now blinged my toe nails TOO much.

They look like Vegas. The bad, older, poorer part of Vegas, where it is not only too much, but too old, and to ill repaired... and well seedy... yeah they look like that.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-09, 08:57 PM

Aye, It's true.

Reinboom
2008-08-10, 01:42 AM
I like makeup in two extremes, either basics (mascara, eyeliner, lipstick) OR I like it where a person's face is the makeup. And not them just trying to enhance their own look, but actually in the extreme of something new.
For example, geisha masks.

That said, I can't find a decent white powder around here. :smallsigh:

Pocketa
2008-08-10, 01:46 AM
If there's a Hot Topic in your area, I've heard Bloody Mary's Setting Powder (in white, duh) is pretty good, and most of them have it. Their makeup is cheap but good and it doesn't blind you.

Of course, good-ol'-fashioned lead might do the trick as well!

Krade
2008-08-10, 02:20 AM
I don't have anything in particular against make-up, but I think most women really don't need it to look pretty.

However, while I was in seventh grade I saw, for the first time in my life, someone who actually looked better in tons of make-up. Every day she'd come to school wearing loads of the stuff and I alway thought it looked kinda bad (but, natuarally, didn't say anything because I was still a shy, fragile shell of what I am today). Then one day she comes to school with no make-up on and I was floored by how absolutely terrible she looked.

After that moment, I decided to abandon thinking that make-up was completely unnecesary.

Now, I'd have to say that if it takes longer than 10 minutes to get it all on, its too much.

llamamushroom
2008-08-10, 05:31 AM
Quoth de-trick: want to now how to keep a guys face clean from acknee, im not a crater face, just one here and there, i just been popping them but it kind of hurts, now feeling my face i should shave 2morrow or before i go out again

Says I: Personally, I use Differin (made by Galderma). It's prescription only, and pretty pricy, but it sure works - I've not got any acne, and I know it's not just genes. If you do manage to get it, you should be told how to use it (very little dabs on forehead, nose, chin and each cheek, rub in), and I would suggest that you get a really good cleanser and (above all) moisturiser (spelling?), as it plays merry heck with dry skin.

On the "how much is too much?" issue, do a little hypothetical comparison. If you were going with the same effect for on-stage, how different are the two? If the answer is "not very", you're doing it wrong.

Reinboom
2008-08-10, 08:36 AM
If there's a Hot Topic in your area, I've heard Bloody Mary's Setting Powder (in white, duh) is pretty good, and most of them have it. Their makeup is cheap but good and it doesn't blind you.

I'm not fond of going there very often, so, I have forgotten about that store. Thank you.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-08-10, 11:38 AM

Typically, at the word 'Et Cetera'. :smallsmile: I find that using more than a simple smoothing/anti shine stuff and light lipstick is going too far. Mascara, eyeliner, lip liner, yuck. I love the natural look. Women that have a beautiful complexion and don't ruin it by using a spray-painter to apply makeup. Like that scene in Eureka SeveN when Eureka decided to start wearing makeup, did a terrible job, and the kids started crying. I do realize that there are some women that do not have a great complexion (acne, etc.) and want to cover it up. My opinion, and that is all it is; is that instead of buying hundreds of dollars worth of makeup, why not go see a dermatologist for the same amount of $$ and see what can be done for a more permanent fix? There are treatments that can help with complexion problems.

dish
2008-08-10, 12:39 PM
I think there are of lot of people in the world (yeah, mainly of the male persuasion) who don't realise just how much time, effort, and money are required to produce that 'natural' look.

Hint: you actually have to buy a lot of make-up, hair and skin products, and spend a not inconsiderable amount of time in order to look like you haven't put on any make-up.

It reminds me of a scene in Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olivia-Joules-Overactive-Imagination-Fielding/dp/0330432745/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218392767&sr=8-3) in which the spies send the heroine out to seduce the big bad having replaced her lipstick with a communicator, her hair-dryer with explosives, her compact with a digital camera, etc., and she demands to know precisely how they imagine she's going to make herself look like a seductress without any of the necessary equipment.

Thes Hunter
2008-08-10, 12:56 PM
I have to agree with dish.

Our local newspaper just ran a story and asked a bunch of men what they think of makeup. And most of them said the natural look, and I scoffed. Why?

Because men like to believe they like the natural look. When what they really mean to say is "We don't want Mimi from Drew Carey, or the Tami Fay Baker look".

I say this based on my experience of reactions from men. I get many more favorable reactions when I wear makeup vs. not. I have even controlled for other variables. Same clothes, same hair etc. Yes, it is all part of the big picture, but I still get more favorable reactions if I am wearing makeup jeans and have my hair slinged back vs. a fetching outfit, great hair and no makeup.

Maybe it's the media that has defined a 'natural look' as one wearing a good deal of makeup. Maybe the reason makeup seems to be quite universal throughout many cultures and timeframes is that it enhances a certain look biologically programmed into our genes as being attractive. Like facial symmetry and clear skin are programmed into our genes as being desirable. (Both or signs that your genes aren't messed up, and you're free of parasites, important stuff in mate selection I hear)

Clearly foundation helps with the clear skin bit, but I am certain there is research out there somewhere that would show makeup enhances this 'natural beauty' that men desire by making skin look clearer, eyes bigger, lips brighter and etc.

So men deal with the fact that you actually LIKE make-up. :smallwink:

Kaelaroth
2008-08-10, 01:28 PM
Hey, I like make-up. On boys. Sometimes. And, lassies, you can keep trying on make-up, but however much you slap it on, I still won't crush on you. :smalltongue:

But, seriously, what do you guys think of kohl on guys? 'Specially ones with super special awesome pale skin?

zeratul
2008-08-10, 01:36 PM
Hey, I like make-up. On boys. Sometimes. And, lassies, you can keep trying on make-up, but however much you slap it on, I still won't crush on you. :smalltongue:

But, seriously, what do you guys think of kohl on guys? 'Specially ones with super special awesome pale skin?

Guyliner? It looks totally awesome on some people, and not on others, depends on various things, like your hair, face, complexion, etc. But yeah it can look pretty cool.

Pocketa
2008-08-10, 01:50 PM
I think it isn't the makeup men like or dislike, but most dislike it when the use of makeup is evident, but they'd like to believe the look is natural. Ruby-red-Dorthy's-slippers lipstick is less believable than a berry shade, which is less believable, in turn, than a sheer nude or gloss.

Zephra
2008-08-10, 03:49 PM
I don't wear makeup at all, ever. mostly because I'm lazy, but I don't see how it helps. If i have acne, I wash my face, not cover it all up--makes more sence to me, really. Perfume just smells chemically to me, which isn't a great smell, so I just skip that too..

Sir_Norbert
2008-08-10, 03:55 PM
So men deal with the fact that you actually LIKE make-up. :smallwink:
Well, I don't, so I'm sorry, but not all men are the same :) Also -- looking beautiful and looking attractive are two very, very different things. Make-up can make a girl easy to notice, but it can't make her be someone I'd be more interested in spending time with because of her looks if she wasn't already.

Although, honestly (in regard to Ego's original question that prompted this discussion) it's difficult to say. I certainly wouldn't say that a small amount of make-up necessarily detracts from a girl's appearance. A small amount can look fine. I suppose if it just enhances what's there and doesn't look like it's something added on. Or in other words, what other people have already said :P

Lupy
2008-08-10, 03:55 PM

Pyrian speaks the truth.

Ego Slayer
2008-08-10, 04:17 PM
The level of opposition is not what I'd expect.

Good thing I've only ever worn eyeliner or mascara for myself. :smallamused:

zeratul
2008-08-10, 04:28 PM
I would probably be the only guy ever to also say that girls totally look cute in corpsepaint..... what? its true!:smalltongue:

Jack Squat
2008-08-10, 04:35 PM
hmm...I could have sworn I posted my opinion in here.

I do like the natural look. I will admit that makup used to accentuate one's features and not cover them up is probably better, but I can't say I think everyone needs to wear it.

It all depends on the person...there's a few females that I think look great without anything on, and others that would be more attractive with a crumpled paper bag over their head than their natural looks.

Pyrian
2008-08-10, 04:57 PM
Hint: you actually have to buy a lot of make-up, hair and skin products, and spend a not inconsiderable amount of time in order to look like you haven't put on any make-up....Or you could just not wear any. That's worked pretty well for all my girlfriends. Instant natural look! :smallamused:

The level of opposition is not what I'd expect.It has been my experience that the, shall we say, nerdier elements are much less inclined to like makeup than the general population. I could speculate on why this is so, but it would just be speculation. The difference, however, is rather dramatic.

Catch
2008-08-10, 04:59 PM
Despite that one of my lesbian friends is consistently demanding I do the guyliner thing and secretly wants to put me in a dress, I'm not one to wear anything particularly fancy or artificial, apart from deodorant and a little cologne if I'm feeling fancy.

The girlfriend, however, is working on becoming a goth model and has a naturally pale completion, so she doesn't need much paint to show off, which I appreciate. She always does her eyes very well, though, and they're stunning, so it's a bit disconcerting to see her without makeup on the rare occasion that it happens.

On the whole, I usually prefer women who are more conservative about the whole process, but I don't mind someone who can pull it off well. There are far too many girls out there who could stand to dial back a bit.

Jack Squat
2008-08-10, 05:03 PM
There are far too many girls out there who could stand to dial back a bit.

QFT

I really don't see the point in why the general consensus seems to be that girls need to look like Barbie dolls. I mean I know it's media pressures and what not, but I like people individual and varied, not seemingly mass produced.

llamamushroom
2008-08-11, 03:43 AM
So, who (in the Playground's esteemed opinion) actually likes the barbie-mass-produced-plastic-fantastic-supermodel look?

dish
2008-08-12, 12:04 AM
@llamamushroom^: I think it's quite obvious that nobody likes it. But you've got to realise that there aren't just two extremes. Several people here seem to think that one either has very obvious, very thick make-up slapped on or one has no make-up on at all. I'm just trying to explain that the situation is more complex than that, and it is very likely that some of the women you think are wearing no make-up are actually wearing quite a lot of make-up. (That's why it's called the 'natural' look. It's supposed to look natural.)

Same as Thes, I get many more positive comments from men when wearing make-up than when not. And most of the time they don't seem to understand what it is about me that they approve of. They've just noticed that for some reason I look 'better' or 'more beautiful'.

...Or you could just not wear any. That's worked pretty well for all my girlfriends. Instant natural look! :smallamused:
Let me guess...were they mostly in their teens and twenties?

You see, most girls in their teens and twenties have enough natural beauty that they don't need make-up. They can save it for special occasions, or for times when they want a specific 'look' (such as goth, or sparkly hippy). But sadly, there comes a time in every woman's life - it could be at any point from mid-twenties to mid-thirties depending on genetics and life-style - when she finds herself being constantly greeted with,
"Wow, you look tired. What's wrong?" When in actual fact she is no more tired than usual, and time is just starting to have his wicked way with her face.
From that point on, if she wants to look as good as she used to when wearing no make-up, she's going to have to learn how to apply 'natural' make-up.

Quincunx
2008-08-12, 05:12 AM
Dish, normally I'd take the piss out of you for confusing youth with beauty, but I'll let it pass as hyperbole in the service of making a point.

Pocketa, the lunch-hour makeovers sound like a neat idea. (It's also nice to notice inflation hasn't much hit yet. A quarter bought a beaded bracelet in the jewelry trade of my schooldays.)

Thes Hunter, glitter dust or glitter flakes?

On topic, I have a very basic selection: one face powder, one eyeshadow compact with one shade and one hue, one subtle lipstick, one dark lipstick. Astute readers will notice I did not list 'one clue on how to use it'. My idea of a beautiful face is stuck somewhere in the late 1940s, with a clearly defined and brightly painted set of lips. That I can do, but I can't counterbalance it with. . .whatever I need to do to the rest of my face. Apparently wearing just the lipstick is a no-no. Lipstick + powder also fails. (Eye makeup neglected for a) glasses b) swearing like a sailor when anything gets in my eyes, which it will do all night long.)

Charity
2008-08-12, 05:59 AM
Swearing like a sailor gets my vote... Oh that was meant to be a negative thing... oh.

Castaras
2008-08-12, 06:00 AM
Hi. Never really used makeup, other than to try it out, which always ended up with rashes.

Every piece of makeup I've tried has resulted in skin irritation. Even the so called sensitive stuff.

So I don't use it. But eh, it looks pretty on other people. Probably wouldn't do many wonders for me. =P

loopy
2008-08-12, 07:04 AM
So I'm going to pop in from time to time with stupid male questions that will show my inexperience with makeup and the like.

What the hell is ex-foliating anyway? I know its something to do with skin, but how is it done?

Charity
2008-08-12, 07:41 AM
scrubing/sanding/tearing off the outermost layers of skin leaving shiny new skin exposed to all the stuff that killed off the outer layers in the first place...

and a simple search can answer lifes little questions (http://spas.about.com/od/spatreatmentbasics/a/exfoliation.htm) much more efficiently than asking on a forum, save that for the juicy stuff.

loopy
2008-08-12, 08:53 AM
True, but its one of those things that just pops into mind when I see a relevant conversation topic.

Thes Hunter
2008-08-12, 06:35 PM
Juicy stuff just for Charity. :smallbiggrin:
http://media.bonnint.net/wp-stl/ichannel/0/5/529.jpg

Leon Stormchild
2008-08-12, 06:43 PM
I, personally, prefer minimal makeup on a girl; eyeshadow and some light blush at the most.

And I have a question for the girls out there. How on earth can you all stand eyeliner??? I have to wear it occasionally for the theatre and I HATE it. Putting it on is one of the most painful things I've ever experienced...

Moff Chumley
2008-08-12, 06:55 PM
I have nothing to contribute to this conversation except Dead Man's Party for the win. :smallbiggrin:

Don't think it would go unnoticed!

nothingclever
2008-08-12, 07:52 PM
The one thing that really makes me cringe is when girls have weird painted on fake eyebrows.

dish
2008-08-13, 03:05 PM
I, personally, prefer minimal makeup on a girl; eyeshadow and some light blush at the most.

And I have a question for the girls out there. How on earth can you all stand eyeliner??? I have to wear it occasionally for the theatre and I HATE it. Putting it on is one of the most painful things I've ever experienced...

1. Never put the eyeliner on right next to the eye. It should go outside the eyelashes. I know that makes it tricky, as you've got to manouver around your eyelashes, but you're much less likely to stick anything into your eye. It also cuts down on risk of infection.

2. I find that most eyeliner pencils are just too hard to use easily. A liquid or creme eyeliner is much easier to apply - you don't need to press it on, all you have to do is brush it on lightly.

The one thing that really makes me cringe is when girls have weird painted on fake eyebrows.

I agree with you 100%. Sadly, it is quite common around here.

CannibalHymn
2008-08-13, 04:18 PM
The human face is often eerily misshapen, but accepted as normal, and the single colour in which it naturally comes is dull. I'm going against the apparent tide and voting for make up. For everyone. Lipstick, eyeliner, mascara, and make-up in general make one look less dull, and can make one look less like everyone else. Not wearing make-up causes one to look like everyone else, but varying degrees less interesting.

Midnight Son
2008-08-14, 12:35 AM
The human face is often eerily misshapen, but accepted as normal, and the single colour in which it naturally comes is dull. I'm going against the apparent tide and voting for make up. For everyone. Lipstick, eyeliner, mascara, and make-up in general make one look less dull, and can make one look less like everyone else. Not wearing make-up causes one to look like everyone else, but varying degrees less interesting.
That's why they invented facial hair...

Shadow
2008-08-14, 01:48 AM
That's why they invented facial hair...

And that's why I only shave 3 or 4 times a week.
Plus I'm just lazy....

dish
2008-08-16, 09:41 AM
I left my only functional black mascara in the ladies room of a restaurant during my friend's wedding. This is not a major problem, as that mascara was annoying me by melting all over my face every time the temperature got above 30 degrees. But I was just wondering if anyone had a favourite mascara brand - preferably one that doesn't turn you into a panda as soon as the weather gets hot and steamy.

Ego Slayer
2008-08-16, 10:05 AM
Dish, what I'd recently bought was Lo'real Paris and I've not had any "melting"...

Ranna
2008-08-16, 05:22 PM
I think there are of lot of people in the world (yeah, mainly of the male persuasion) who don't realise just how much time, effort, and money are required to produce that 'natural' look.

Hint: you actually have to buy a lot of make-up, hair and skin products, and spend a not inconsiderable amount of time in order to look like you haven't put on any make-up.

It reminds me of a scene in Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olivia-Joules-Overactive-Imagination-Fielding/dp/0330432745/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218392767&sr=8-3) in which the spies send the heroine out to seduce the big bad having replaced her lipstick with a communicator, her hair-dryer with explosives, her compact with a digital camera, etc., and she demands to know precisely how they imagine she's going to make herself look like a seductress without any of the necessary equipment.

SSSSSSooooooooooooo true!!!! Thank you dish! In fact reading the rest of this thread I agree with all the statements you have made!

And here is what goes into being "natural" - Take it or leave it boys honestly its alot of work!

I exfoliate every day with St Ives cleanser and apricot scrub. I don't always wear foundation sometimes a light reflecting moisturiser is enough for me (Olay is the best) if I do wear foundation it is usually Clinque. A cheek highlighter is Benefit high beam and I also like the California Loving lipgloss by them too.

Mascara is a must! I like Dior's blackout mascara but for a cheeper option many of my friends recoment Max Factor Masterpiece.

As for eyeshadows I really really love Nars (sp?) I find it is creamy and very hard to crease. But I only like very neutral colours often you cannot tell I am wearing it.

I ain't a fan of eyeliner I only do the inside of my eyelids just below my top eyelashes I have never been successful making my eyeliner look natural. When I am going for over the top going out stuff then Yves Saint Laurent is a great pencil eyeliner!

Love bronzer it makes my face look thinner again loving Clinque but Benefit is also a good make.

Body power (if I am on a night out this isn't a daily thing eep) again Benefit has a fab body highlighting powder.

And so there it is! High maintenance me?

Thes Hunter
2008-08-24, 12:59 AM
Thes Hunter, glitter dust or glitter flakes?

Re: Nail Polish glitter

I use both dust and flakes. I tend to like flakes that are star shaped so I have starry toes. =]

Nychta
2008-08-24, 01:18 AM
Note: I just bought a Maybelline eyeliner. Used it. Made my eyes swell up and I couldn't see properly. Do not trust Maybelline Eyeliner.

I was definitely not born with swollen eyes, so it must be Maybelline.

Rawhide
2008-08-24, 01:53 AM
I was definitely not born with swollen eyes, so it must be Maybelline.

This made me laugh out loud.

Also, Poketa, I have to ask. Seriously, why would you want to use make-up? That would be just as crazy as Dragonrider saying she wanted to try make-up!

Quincunx
2008-08-24, 05:16 AM
'k, I was just trying to properly picture the 'seedy side of Vegas' look, and it was all glitter flakes, gold, pasted down flat. Glitter dust is more youthful/newer/what-have-you.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-24, 05:20 AM
Pocketa, you're cute enough as is, no need to add that. Can't say if I find you a beauty, because the card obscures to much.

Nychta
2008-08-24, 05:24 AM
I don't think anyone needs makeup.
'Specially Pocketa.

Does anyone else eat their lipgloss if it tastes good?

EDIT: Spotted this:

This made me laugh out loud.As long as you laughed because you know Maybelline's tagline, that's fine.

....huh, neither makeup nor tagline is a word according to FF. Damn compound nouns that look stupid with hyphens.

Rawhide
2008-08-24, 05:29 AM
Pocketa, you're cute enough as is, no need to add that. Can't say if I find you a beauty, because the card obscures to much.

Psssshhht. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4087796&postcount=4)

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-24, 06:04 AM
Psssshhht. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4087796&postcount=4)
Thenks.
Response : *pocketa is added to the few crushes that DD has*

black_Lizzard
2008-08-24, 12:47 PM
Eh, i think a lot of guys don't realize that "natural" look is actually make-up. (they just kinda assume that girls don't get facial blemishes and stuff like that).

Any degree of makeup can look good on the right person, as long as their face doesn't have so much foundation that it looks like clay. And as long as it doesn't make them look like Dolly Parton or a cheap hooker.

I like the flamboyant stuff like aqua colored eyeliner if it's done right. (on a semi side note tattoos can be awesome too.)

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-24, 01:27 PM
Eh, i think a lot of guys don't realize that "natural" look is actually make-up. (they just kinda assume that girls don't get facial blemishes and stuff like that).

Any degree of makeup can look good on the right person, as long as their face doesn't have so much foundation that it looks like clay. And as long as it doesn't make them look like Dolly Parton or a cheap hooker.

I like the flamboyant stuff like aqua colored eyeliner if it's done right. (on a semi side note tattoos can be awesome too.)
Nah, I'm not one of those.
For example, I know my brother's ex gf didn't put up make up.(The times I saw her)

TeeEl
2008-08-24, 05:42 PM
I don't see that much of a relationship between quantity and quality. Most women could go all-out with a good makeup job and look stunning, or they could potentially wear a few minimalist touches that end up being glaringly bad. A lucky few don't need makeup at all, but honestly? Unless they're going for kind of a tomboy look (which, don't get me wrong, is totally hawtsome), makeup is generally going to be helpful.

Em Blackleaf
2008-08-24, 09:33 PM
I like makeup. That's probably the girlyest thing about me. :smalltongue:
I don't like it when it gives me zits, though.

I don't need foundation or cover-up at all, but I still have a compact (used mostly for the mirror in it).

'Kay, the makeup I have:
CQ Smooth Color Mocha eyeshadow, Wet 'n' Wild MegaEyes Shadow Duo Sapphire & Diamond, CQ shadow dip Vibrant Eye Shadow (Cyan), Mary Kate & Ashley onyx & sparkling gray eyeliners (they were 99 cents each at Wal Mart, I had to get them. :smalltongue:), NYC waterproof mascara, NYC brown eyeliner pencil, and CoverGirl #125 cover-up.

Most of the time, I use the mocha eyeshadow, the two lightest colors, the brown eyeliner or the black eyeliner, and the mascara.
I'm running out of eyeliner, though.
I hardly wear makeup. To me, on a normal day, it's kind of time consuming, and way to easy to smudge.
But I do like getting pretty.

Rite-Aid is the main place I go for makeup. It's all super cheap and there's tons of selection. Plus, you can get ice cream there! xD

EDIT: About the natural look. I think there's a liquid foundation you can get that makes your skin look natural. I don't know what it's called, though. Or, you could ask a beautician what color eyeshadow or whatever you should use for your skin tone.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-24, 09:41 PM
I like makeup. That's probably the girlyest thing about me. :smalltongue:
I don't like it when it gives me zits, though.

I don't need foundation or cover-up at all, but I still have a compact (used mostly for the mirror in it).

'Kay, the makeup I have:
CQ Smooth Color Mocha eyeshadow, Wet 'n' Wild MegaEyes Shadow Duo Sapphire & Diamond, CQ shadow dip Vibrant Eye Shadow (Cyan), Mary Kate & Ashley onyx & sparkling gray eyeliners (they were 99 cents each at Wal Mart, I had to get them. :smalltongue:), NYC waterproof mascara, NYC brown eyeliner pencil, and CoverGirl #125 cover-up.

Most of the time, I use the mocha eye shadow, the two lightest colors, the brown eyeliner or the black eyeliner, and the mascara.
I'm running out of eyeliner, though.
I hardly wear makeup. To me, on a normal day, it's kind of time consuming, and way to easy to smudge.
But I do like getting pretty.

Rite-Aid is the main place I go for makeup. It's all super cheap and there's tons of selection. Plus, you can get ice cream there! xD

* le gasp*
:smalltongue:

Em Blackleaf
2008-08-24, 09:50 PM
* le gasp*
What? :smallconfused:
Shocked that I hardly wear makeup? :smalltongue:

Pocketa
2008-08-24, 10:13 PM
I've gone 'clean'!

My best friend/person I really like alot/maybe person I love/whatever said I look better without it, as did most others. I'm going to stop listening to my family's criticisms because they just don't matter now.

No more makeup!

But YES! on deodorant and shampoo and soap.

Telonius
2008-08-25, 09:01 AM
My general take on makeup (and most other fashion things like clothes, hairstyles, etc.) is that it's best used to enhance the beauty that's already there. For everyday use, if your face doesn't look like "your" face after you're done applying it, you've used too much.

My wife generally uses Bare Essentials. Very natural-looking makeup, she's sworn by it for years.

I normally don't like perfume, it tends to make my eyes water. It's very hard to concentrate on how good the woman looks if I'm trying to suppress an allergy attack.

Pocketa
2008-08-26, 11:27 PM
I don't think anyone needs makeup.
'Specially Pocketa.

Does anyone else eat their lipgloss if it tastes good?

EDIT: Spotted this:
As long as you laughed because you know Maybelline's tagline, that's fine.

....huh, neither makeup nor tagline is a word according to FF. Damn compound nouns that look stupid with hyphens.

I use lipsmackers. Shelled out major bucks for their entire Vanilla Creams collection, but it was worth it. On sale, so I don't need to buy any next year. My area's pretty dry so my lips are always chapped. Plus, wind.

Also.

Apparently, the first lip balm...

WAS MADE OF EARWAX.

google it.

EDIT: on topic, I do like the flavor, and used to eat it, but not anymore.

Nychta
2008-08-27, 02:16 AM
I use lipsmackers. Shelled out major bucks for their entire Vanilla Creams collection, but it was worth it. On sale, so I don't need to buy any next year. My area's pretty dry so my lips are always chapped. Plus, wind.

Also.

Apparently, the first lip balm...

WAS MADE OF EARWAX.

google it.

EDIT: on topic, I do like the flavor, and used to eat it, but not anymore.
Mmm, vanilla. I wish I could get lipsmackers in NZ without having to go find some far-out kids store. Possibly the only bad thing about NZ is that we have all these shops without stuff that's advertised overseas.

Yay for going natural. Until I can find the Revlon ColourStay eyeliner that I want, I'm stuck with the Maybelline one. Which I haven't binned because it has potential. I can draw Xs over my eyes and pretend to be dead! And if I'm dead, I'll look unhealthy anyway!
...also it has sparkles. Sparkly things have some gravitational pull for me.

Okay, I gots another problem. Does shampoo and conditioner come under here? I hope so.
My hair, when washed, is really, really, really, insanely shiny. Although it's black. And I'm really, really, really sick of people coming up to me and saying "Oh! Your hair is so greasy!" And I'm also really, really, really sick of making them touch my hair and them saying something along the lines of "Oh. My gosh. It's not greasy after all. What do you know."
I've tried using different conditioner, shampoo, changing the times that I wash and condition my hair, washing my hair less often, conditioning less often, washing more often and conditioning less often... and not conditioning or using shampoo at all. My hair is resolutely shiny.
I don't want my hair to be so shiny. It's pretty occasionally. It's generally annoying. Please help.

EDIT: @V: Well okay, shiny hair may be good but I don't want people randomly asking why it's so greasy.
We've established that shiny hair = good. But I don't want!

Pyrian
2008-08-27, 02:20 AM
Oh, geez. "Help, my grass is too green, how do I make it brown like everybody else's?" :smalltongue: Shiny hair=good. You'll miss it when it's gone. And it will go.

Ranna
2008-08-28, 12:04 PM
As a blonde i find it very very hard to get shiny hair without it looking greasy, so be pleased brunettes of the world be pleased!

dish
2008-08-28, 12:37 PM
EDIT: @V: Well okay, shiny hair may be good but I don't want people randomly asking why it's so greasy.
We've established that shiny hair = good. But I don't want!

Ok, this is a problem I've never considered before.
Maybe you could distract people from the shine by putting in a streak of colour? (Forgive me if I'm wrong here...) you're of Chinese descent, aren't you? So bleaching your hair probably wouldn't look too good, but one of my friends put a streak of dark red into her shiny black mane, and it looked fantastic.

Otherwise, maybe you could try rinsing your hair in beer? It's one of those home-remedies that is supposed to make your hair shine more, but when they tested it out on tv the overwhelming response was that it didn't work. Maybe it would have a non-shining effect?

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-28, 12:41 PM
So brown hair = shiny?

Maybe thats why I practically only like brunettes.......

Shiiiiiiny.....

Syka
2008-08-28, 08:10 PM
I don't use much make up for two reasons 1. I'm inept at most of it and, 2. I don't need it.

I occasionally use eyeshadow if I'm going out and will use a coverup if I have a particularly nasty pimple (I use Differin daily to get my acne under control). Thankfully, I don't need eyeliner OR mascara- my eyelashes are naturally crazy dark and long. When my skin isn't broken out (which is rare toward mid-cycle, before my period though it goes haywire), I actually have a really nice complexion- very even and not blotchy and stuff. My sister hates it. :)

If I use eyeshadow, I only use two shades- gold over the whole lid and a darker brown on the outer one. My eyebrows make it night impossible to do much more. For the more stunning eyelooks you need access to the brow bone, and my eyebrows are ON my brow bone. *grumble* I wish I could do more interesting eye stuff, since it accentuates my awesome eye color (hazel, that is brown surrounded by green with a ring of dark black).

On my hair, I used to only shampoo and everyone would compliment me. They all thought I did stuff to it. But I think the reason my hair was so smooth and all is precisely because I DIDN'T use products in it. I condition now and it gives my hair a little extra sheen, but it's mostly because it detangles my hair. :)

Fun Fact: My ex was wearing more make up than I was when we met. :) His friends had talked him into trying eyeliner earlier that night, and I wasn't wearing any makeup.

Cheers~

Almighty Salmon
2008-08-28, 08:19 PM
*Stumbles into thread*

Right, so I just used makeup for the first time ever. For a student union card photo, I was tempted to post it, but then I realised how lazy I am. ANYWAY, It was only a little bit of foundation, but I was pretty damn amazed at how much difference it made. I can see why so many girls use makeup, i'm tempted to use a little in the future aswell. Flawless skin FTW!

Oh, and my hair is long, blonde and super shiny. Nobody has ever really said it looks greasy, well, apart from the times it actually is.

Em Blackleaf
2008-08-28, 10:46 PM
I know a guy, who wears bright blue eyeshadow. I have the same color he wears! :smallbiggrin:

It's verrryyy rude to go up to someone and say, "Your hair is greasy." At least it is to me.
I mean, doncha think the wearer of the greasy hair would know their hair is greasy? It's like saying, "You're fat." To someone that weighs 700lbs.
'Kay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but the point remains.

My hair was groosssss today. My brother hogged the shower, so I couldn't wash it (don't worry, it's clean now :smalltongue:).

Nychta
2008-08-29, 12:40 AM
Cheers guys. I might think about putting some colour in my hair - perhaps some dark blue would be nice.

((also, yeah, I'm chinese. how'd you know that?))

dish
2008-08-29, 10:55 AM
Cheers guys. I might think about putting some colour in my hair - perhaps some dark blue would be nice.

((also, yeah, I'm chinese. how'd you know that?))

You mentioned it in passing at some point. I wasn't 100% sure it was you, but I knew one of the young girlies was Chinese. Then you said you had black, shiny hair, and that was quite a major clue.

celestialkin
2008-08-29, 11:09 AM
Um, forgive me if this is somewhat off-topic, but can you girls please tell me what would be the best way to tell if a woman is genuinely attractive under her makeup?

I personally feel that women who still look nice/attractive/cute/etc without needed to use much (or any!) makeup are by far more attractive than those who need a bucket full of "lies" (as I like to put it) each morning to look equally good.

From your experience, are there any techniques for spotting/guessing what a woman really looks like under that false mask? Any way of estimating whether she will still look lovely, even when her true face is revealed?

dish
2008-08-29, 11:41 AM
Ok, make-up is not a ceramic mask. It exists to enhance natural beauty. Unless the girl has piled it on 5mm thick (which does occasionally happen, but not that often) then you can easily tell what she looks like underneath.

soozenw
2008-08-29, 11:45 AM
I have uneven skin tones (I'm very pale, but have "ruddy" cheeks), so I use foundation to smooth it out. But it matches my skin, so you really can't tell I'm wearing any. And I use Neutrogena Lash Tint, which is the best thing ever. No clumps, no tarantula lashes. It literally just tints your lashes a little darker to make them more obvious. Something, as a blond, I love! Stupid light eyelashes. But that's the extent of my makeup. I don't own lipstick (my lips do not need anything to make them more obvious), I've NEVER used blush, and eyeshadow baffles me.

Um, forgive me if this is somewhat off-topic, but can you girls please tell me what would be the best way to tell if a woman is genuinely attractive under her makeup?

From your experience, are there any techniques for spotting/guessing what a woman really looks like under that false mask? Any way of estimating whether she will still look lovely, even when her true face is revealed?

Good grief if a woman is wearing so much makeup that you can't tell what she looks like, then she probably isn't very lovely to begin with.

Ranna
2008-08-29, 11:52 AM
I think if you really wanna quick way of guessing what a lady looks like without make up think slightly patchier skin maybe a few pores possibly over the T zone, and pinky cheeks. You can tell if she has spots under the make-up I haven't found anyway of making spots look less noticeable yet..

Eyes are probably the BIGGEST difference and can be quite alarming when the make up is taken off them I have seen the most beautful eyes be reduced to puffy pig eyes once the make up comes off I would just try to dull out all the dark mysterious eye make up and replace it with beige tones...

But thats all I have folks, bone structure and stuff cannot be changed too drastically with make up (unless your going for the shading thing but I rarely see people use that as its too much hassel.)