PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Ideas

expirement10K14
2008-08-08, 06:37 PM
Thanks to Zeta Kai I have began work on a new campaign setting and I had some ideas that I haven't been able to formulate completely-

1)Divine Magic is the essence of deities power given in small forms to mortals.
2)Psionics is the power that creatures have locked in their mind. Psions and such are those that can unlock this power.
3)Arcane magic is....

This is where I am stuck. Sorcerers get their powers from dragons, wizads from studying, warlocks from ancient pacts. What do they have in common that can grant the power? I was thinking something along the lines of the weave from Forgotten realms, although anything works.

Then I have another question-
What would happen if humans weren't the dominant force in the world? What would happen if the world was ruled by giants? Trolls? Gnomes?

Third-
Environment. I am using the map made by Zeta Kai. There is no equator, no poles, so how would desert climates occur? What causes wind if everything gets equal heating?

AstralFire
2008-08-08, 06:42 PM
Arcane power is the power to destroy the natural laws of the universe. This does not mean it is destructive, per se, simple that it is not natural. Thus, Arcane Magic is an expression of knowledge. The issue is that Sorcerers were introduced before psionics in 3e, and was meant to fill the inner power role. I would rewrite Warlocks as having made dark pacts to gain their knowledge, and Sorcerers have an innate, mystical link to the knowledge even when they don't really understand what they're studying. (Compare Forge to Tony Stark.)

In non-polar worlds, a traditional desert could be caused by geothermal activity sans water or the intersection of magical leylines which either way, cause the area to be overenergized and eventually dry out. To get the sandy bits, then the area had to have once been a lake. A meteor would create a nice flash desert.

Kiren
2008-08-08, 06:43 PM
Thanks to Zeta Kai I have began work on a new campaign setting and I had some ideas that I haven't been able to formulate completely-

1)Divine Magic is the essence of deities power given in small forms to mortals.
2)Psionics is the power that creatures have locked in their mind. Psions and such are those that can unlock this power.
3)Arcane magic is....

This is where I am stuck. Sorcerers get their powers from dragons, wizads from studying, warlocks from ancient pacts. What do they have in common that can grant the power? I was thinking something along the lines of the weave from Forgotten realms, although anything works.

Then I have another question-
What would happen if humans weren't the dominant force in the world? What would happen if the world was ruled by giants? Trolls? Gnomes?

Third-
Environment. I am using the map made by Zeta Kai. There is no equator, no poles, so how would desert climates occur? What causes wind if everything gets equal heating?

Dragons and demons scribe the books and leave power in it.

human slaves.

storms cause wind too, also the top of the map and bottom are poles even if their isn't land

expirement10K14
2008-08-08, 07:15 PM
Dragons and demons scribe the books and leave power in it.

human slaves.

storms cause wind too, also the top of the map and bottom are poles even if their isn't land

Okay on the poles, but storms are caused by unequal heating of the earth, same as winds. I just took earth science, otherwise I wouldn't even care.

Arcane power is the power to destroy the natural laws of the universe. This does not mean it is destructive, per se, simple that it is not natural. Thus, Arcane Magic is an expression of knowledge. The issue is that Sorcerers were introduced before psionics in 3e, and was meant to fill the inner power role. I would rewrite Warlocks as having made dark pacts to gain their knowledge, and Sorcerers have an innate, mystical link to the knowledge even when they don't really understand what they're studying. (Compare Forge to Tony Stark.)

In non-polar worlds, a traditional desert could be caused by geothermal activity sans water or the intersection of magical leylines which either way, cause the area to be overenergized and eventually dry out. To get the sandy bits, then the area had to have once been a lake. A meteor would create a nice flash desert.

I like your idea for knowledge, thanks.

As for environment, I decided to cut out the desert area, but in its place is a tainted land that is cast in darkness at all times.

I decided to screw real-world science, this is fantasy. Magic is the key, although I am not sure how.