PDA

View Full Version : Need Name for BBEG [4e]

Crow
2008-08-08, 07:04 PM
I have two issues here.

The first is that I am stuck on coming up with a name for the BBEG for my next 4e adventure. I'm going to be making use of Cavern Chokers. Rather than being a species all by themselves, mine are going to have once been men...in this case miners who came across some big nasty. So my BBEG is going to be a sorcerous Cavern Choker (modified to be medium-sized rather than small, with an INT of 17 rather than what it had before) who was once a man. I'm going to be slapping the Demonic Acolyte template, and the Wizard class template on him in order to make him a solo monster.

I want a name which will evoke decadence, sloth, and (obviously) evil. Anybody have some ideas?

Crow
2008-08-08, 11:16 PM
Wow, lotsa help =)

How about this:

What are some names you've given your BBEG's? (Those threads always seem to do well.)

playswithfire
2008-08-08, 11:48 PM
I recommend behindthename.com for NPC naming purposes; with the help of that site, I offer up

Odovacar Endymion
Hakan Rajani

Odovacar means "wealthy and vigilant"
Endymion was condemned to eternal life (technically sleep) within a mountain

Hakan means ruler and Rajani means 'the dark one'

I'd go with the first one or check out the site and put something together

Knaight
2008-08-08, 11:57 PM
My advice would be to randomly type in letters for names, then edit them until they work. Some examples:
Nuigvoen
Ovolth
Golthael
Avenboan
Ghoel
Avmith Vaeja
Bmaeruinve
Evmeio

Of these only the first two work for a gluttonous slothy type. Golthael and Avenboan sound like heroic names, Ghoel sounds like it could possibly work for someone more on the lawful side, Avmith Vaeja just screams elve, Bmaeruinve screams female elf, and Evmeio would be a more half elf name.

Myshlaevsky
2008-08-09, 10:43 AM
I tend to hit up other languages for my names. Think of the words that would characterise your BBEG (you already have, it seems) and try them in translation until you have something you're happy with - or alter the translations till you get there.

Starsinger
2008-08-09, 10:45 AM
If you're not above taking names from other sources that sound nice for what you're after, but have little-ish to do with what you're naming them after.. Gongora is a nice name that I think carries the effect you'd like.

Treguard
2008-08-09, 02:58 PM
I like the name "Bolgrath".

AslanCross
2008-08-09, 05:33 PM
I get names from all over. Sometimes I steal them and stick them to something else to make them "original." Sometimes it's just random.

My current BBEG (Half-fiend ogre mage) is named Grimgashr.

Other villains in the campaign:
-Caellamore de Lavierre (Grimgashr's human warblade lieutenant)
-Loroshyr Auzkovyn (Drow wizard)
-Vorgudiyet (hobgoblin warblade chief who joined Grimgashr's team)
-Viram Eldershade (human beguiler who is Grimgashr's inside man in the kingdom the PCs are based in. His real name is Voltemand Cormaeril. I stole Voltemand from Shakespeare. For some reason it seems like a good villain name.)

archon_huskie
2008-08-09, 06:01 PM
Hedon-Choke

Crow
2008-08-10, 12:01 AM
A lot of good suggestions here. Thank you. I will try some of the methods you guys have given me and see if anything suitable pops up. Gongora was a pretty good suggestion too. The Orchid (Gongora, growing off of other plants) thing actually works somewhat with the Demonic Acolyte power (getting replenished by your allies dying).