PDA

View Full Version : Warmage advanced learning (air, electricity sonic or water)

Thurbane
2008-08-08, 07:56 PM
Hey all,

I'm looking for 2 spells for a Warmage, who will be heading for the Stormcaster PrC, to pick up with his advanced learning - 1x 1st level, and 1x 3rd level.

To make the most of the Stormcaster's storm spell caster ability, they should have the air, electricity, sonic or water descriptor.

Cheers - T

Knaight
2008-08-08, 11:22 PM
That really depends on the character. Sonic has the advantage of going right through most monsters, due to energy resistance being incredibly rare, air has lots of stuff, electricity tends to have nice damage, but weakness is rare, and water has lots of utility stuff. So basically air and water are more utility-esq, sonic and electricity more combat. Pick utility or combat, then choose which is coolest.

mabriss lethe
2008-08-09, 12:13 AM
That really depends on the character. Sonic has the advantage of going right through most monsters, due to energy resistance being incredibly rare, air has lots of stuff, electricity tends to have nice damage, but weakness is rare, and water has lots of utility stuff. So basically air and water are more utility-esq, sonic and electricity more combat. Pick utility or combat, then choose which is coolest.

well, personally, I'd go for more of a utility-esque spell vs. more direct combat magic. You're a warmage, you've already got blasty coming out of more orifaces than you would ever want to imagine.

Knaight
2008-08-09, 12:16 AM
Again, depends on the character. Sometimes all you want is stuff blasting out of every pore.

Thurbane
2008-08-09, 02:24 AM
Really just looking for options at the moment - what people consider good spells within the parameters above. :smallwink:

mabriss lethe
2008-08-10, 12:12 AM
well, wind wall would be a decent choice of a third level spell I suppose. It's a good spell to have anyway. Sleepmote from sandstorm might rank up there too, but I don't have the book, so i couldn't tell you anything except the general stuff about it. has air and earth descriptor, causes a dustdevil that puts people to sleep.

I'm not sure of any 1st level evocations that fit the bill for both storm caster and utility. though with a 1st, you could get good use out of a number of spells and not worry too much about them being out of the SC's realm.

again. should you use advanced learning for less damage oriented and more utility oriented spells, It won't matter too much if you pick spells that aren't stormcaster friendly. From my perspective, skewed as it is at the moment by cyberpunk, alcohol and loads of caffeine, I'd say screw it and pick spells that are just darned useful. If they happen to be air, electricity, sonic or water, so much the better.

If you go for more direct damage spells, then it doesn't matter, you've got a whole lot of options at your feet. But you already know a lot of them, or spells that are very similar in either effect or theme.

Now why can't there be a "bowel disruptor" spell? The world would be a much better place if there was.

Thurbane
2008-08-10, 12:49 AM
OK, here's what I've found so far:

SC
Sonic Blast
Thunderhead
Capricious Zephyr
Great Thunderclap
Resonating Bolt
Shatterfloor
Sonorous Hum
Sound Lance

CM
Jet of Steam

SW
Favorable Wind

Sa
Storm Mote

DM
Wingblast

DiscipleofBob
2008-08-10, 11:10 AM
Speaking as a guy who played a Warmage/Stormcaster who had an entirely switched around spell list on the DM's approval to fit the flavor, here's some spells I recommend:

Thunderhead - Only if you like the idea of using it to screw with NPC's or other players. With only one damage per round that gets a reflex saving throw to dodge, it's only real use is to have one guy run around trying to dodge the tiny lightning bolts. You could also use it to point out the guy who keeps turning invisible or something like that, but this is really more of a flavor spell.

Sonic Blast, Great Thunderclap - Don't take these. The Thunderclap class feature you get basically does the same thing.

Shatterfloor - Depends mostly on your party makeup, as the difficult terrain could screw over other party members, or it could just completely throw the battle in your favor. Definitely worth a shot.

Sound Lance - Ridiculously good damage compared to other stuff of the same level (compensated for the fact that it only targets one creature.)

Resonating Bolt, Sonorous Hum - I found these to be highly situational but basically useless, but maybe you can get something out of them that I couldn't.

Capricious Zephyr - Nice. Not completely reliable due to the bull rushes being kind of weak, but can be a very nice surprise.

Some other spells I might recommend:

Sonic Snap, Electric Jolt (Spell Compendium) - These are level 0 spells, so only if that 1st-level Advanced Learning can't go anywhere else. Both are simple little spells that don't do a lot of damage, but can function in a pinch and are heavily boosted by your Warmage Edge. Electric Jolt can be replaced by an Energy Substituted Ray of Frost, but the flavor behind Sonic Snap is fun and could even replace Ghost Sound in some situations. That, and it gives you some more uses for your 0-level spell slots.

Binding Winds (Spell Compendium) - A level 2 spell that isn't on the Sorc/Wiz spell list (but I don't remember there being anything in Advanced Learning that limits you to Sorc/Wiz spells). Basically immobilizes one guy for however long you can hold your concentration, and they don't get a save beyond the first. You'll find it on either the Druid spell list or in one of the domains.

Electric Vengeance (Player's Handbook II) - Level 2 spell. A lot of my character was based around this spell. Who needs armor class when every time someone hits you in melee, they take a buttload of electric damage (note this was also amplified by Retributive Spell - Shocking Grasp, several feats to boost caster level on electric attacks, and the Veil of Storms to add another 4d6 electricity damage onto that.) Sure, you could only do it a couple times, but once a bad guy sees his buddy hit you with a sword and EXPLODE they'll think twice about trying to repeat the experiment.

Thurbane
2008-08-10, 09:40 PM
Thanks all for the advise - especially you, DiscipleofBob :smallsmile: