PDA

View Full Version : Theme Music for Ravenloft

cliffiepizza
2008-08-08, 10:25 PM
Hey, i'm looking for some music to play during my group's upcoming excursion to Barovia. Reply if you have any ideas, i'm looking for music for the town of Barovia, the surrounding wilderness, and the castle Ravenloft. i'm looking for something not too wild and crazy, more subtle haunting themes, probably classical would be best, thanks.

Meat Shield
2008-08-08, 11:08 PM
Johannes Sebastian Bach, especially the Toccata and Fugue in D Minor. That is a necessary one.

expirement10K14
2008-08-08, 11:11 PM
For the encounter with one of the hags (I believe this exists), you could try voodoo by godsmack. It is on the quiet side, at least for them, and could go well with the whole hag=witch mindset a lot of people have.

linky. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn0CnVGWmGE)

Edit: Some of the lyrics really fit the horror campaign-
"Never did I wanna be here again,
And I dont remember why I came."

"Demons dreaming,
Breathe in, breathe in...
Im coming back again..."

Well, they fit in my head...

Edit2: The video contains an actual witch coven (from real life, led by some famous Wicca high priestess who's name I don't remember) and undead.

Duos Greanleef
2008-08-08, 11:27 PM
Serenity by... someone.
It sounds a little along the lines of Voodoo, but I prefer Serenity!

expirement10K14
2008-08-08, 11:31 PM
Serenity by... someone.
It sounds a little along the lines of Voodoo, but I prefer Serenity!

I actually prefer serenity. The thing is the only Godsmack I know is what I heard at Big Day Out (recent concert), and would only no realign if I hadn't gone to that with friends.

bosssmiley
2008-08-09, 02:13 AM
Johannes Sebastian Bach, especially the Toccata and Fugue in D Minor. That is a necessary one.

Tocc- :smallconfused:

Dammit Meat Shield! :smallbiggrin:

He's right. There's also stuff like the Silent Hill (game) soundtracks...

cliffiepizza
2008-08-09, 09:47 AM

Ya, thats perfect for castle Ravenloft, are there any more haunting organ or piano tunes like that? also, i still need music for the town of barovia, and the forest.

Starsinger
2008-08-09, 10:10 AM
As for Barovia... "Trick" (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/sony/ps1/chateau1.mid) the theme of Chateau Aguille from SaGa Frontier. I regret that that's a MIDI file, but it's a good quality MIDI.

HOO
2008-08-09, 10:56 AM
Resident Evil works surprisingly well for creepy settings (esp. undead infested areas) ;).
Raison d'Etre - weird and spooky (was recommended for Cthulu games)
some track from the Half Life OST (can't pinpoint them atm except Ravenloft Requiem)

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-09, 11:00 AM
Listen to Goth music while you are online and note some of the bands that have sounds you like. Download, record or access online (You tube).

jamroar
2008-08-09, 11:02 AM
Hey, i'm looking for some music to play during my group's upcoming excursion to Barovia. Reply if you have any ideas, i'm looking for music for the town of Barovia, the surrounding wilderness, and the castle Ravenloft. i'm looking for something not too wild and crazy, more subtle haunting themes, probably classical would be best, thanks.

Saint-Saen's Danse Macabre
Schubert's String Quartet in D (Death and the Maiden)

Spiryt
2008-08-09, 11:39 AM
Hmmm... Ravenlord?

In either (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtl7PzjEJrE) version (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LXeVeoRoCKo)?

With lyrics, but they fit, I think...

Can you feel
The autumn wind blowing
Ravenlord is coming to stay
Can you hear
The passing bell tolling
Ravenlord - takes you far away

RationalGoblin
2008-08-09, 11:42 AM
Castlevania music could work, I guess. But yeah, Toccata and Fugue is probably the best one you could use. It's just so... iconic.

cliffiepizza
2008-08-09, 11:53 AM
As for Barovia... "Trick" (http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/sony/ps1/chateau1.mid) the theme of Chateau Aguille from SaGa Frontier. I regret that that's a MIDI file, but it's a good quality MIDI.

ya, thats good for Barovia village, haunting but not as grand as i would want the Ravenloft theme to be. As for Ravenlord, its a bit too loud and hardcore, i mainly want this music to be in the background. if anyone has some more ideas, please post them, if you could link to them that would be awesome

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-09, 04:20 PM
Ghosts 'n Goblins theme tune. After playing I wanna be the guy, I will fear that music for the rest of my life.:smallfurious:

aarondirebear
2008-08-09, 04:28 PM

Seconded, beat me to it.
That one is awesome and ominous.

Phantom.exe
2008-08-10, 02:06 PM
I got this! Okay, two things - I assume that you're doing Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, right?

Well, the first thing that may be an issue, if you are using Expedition - There is no ending. The book lies. There is no section called "concluding the adventure" or anything - any mention of what happens after they stake Strahd.
If they stake Strahd.

According to someone on another board, in the original Ravenloft, it turns out that Ireena is really the reincarnation of Tatyana, Strahd's lover and Sergei's wife. Strahd's sheer will was enough to force her to come back from the grave, as well as keep Castle Ravenloft intact. With Strahd's Death, Sergei comes from the chapel and meets with the party and Ireena before taking them to the afterlife.
Shortly afterward, Castle Ravenloft itself literally fades away. I'm not sure how I'll actually end it with this...

Anyway, you should work on that. Me? My last session is Wednesday. After making our way through 80% of the encounters so far (Luckily, there are many you can skip. It's unique that way~!) we arrive at Castle Ravenloft.

For creepy, slow moments, light sounds - like from a music box - are great.

Ambient music is very important. If you can, find ambient soundtracks, of, say, crows cawing, or other forest sounds. If I can, I'll post a link to it.

The LOST soundtrack is amazing. Lots of angry orchestras make for great 'reveal!' moments, as well as ambient bits - "The Final Countdown" makes a great one for anticipation.

Combat doesn't necessarily need anything different - though it helps. Don't do anything to extreme- Lord of the Rings never seems to mesh well. It's always too grand.

Piano is great everywhere - specifically, say, "Strange Journeys" or any of Johannes Brahms's work. I used his stuff for the moments in the Forest, looking after Valicia. (Also, the Drowned Lady encounters don't work very well. They're frustrating and slow. I just gave up, and replaced the Drowned Lady with Valicia.)

Good luck!

cliffiepizza
2008-08-10, 04:45 PM
thanks, very helpful, if you can find any ambient sounds it'd be awesome if you could link to it

Glawackus
2008-08-10, 06:31 PM
Resident Evil works surprisingly well for creepy settings (esp. undead infested areas) ;).

This right here. I was playing RE4 half an hour ago, and I was just thinking "gee, someone's probably going to have an 'I need horror music' thread at some point, I should drop this one in there". :smallsmile:

Also:

Reanimator by Amon Tobin
Phillip Glass' soundtrack to Candyman (particularly the first track and...um...I think the other one was It Was Always You, Helen)

Armoury99
2008-08-11, 02:51 PM
Actually, I can't hear the Silent Hill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymCo3CrBw7Q) music without getting a shiver down my spine... actually, I find any Spanish guitar music terrifying now :smallredface: fallout from playing it in the dark.

Silent Hill 2 is actually creepier (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qasnp026MY), however.

AslanCross
2008-08-11, 04:38 PM
The Diablo I soundtrack, and maybe some songs from Diablo II, especially Acts I, IV, and V. Acts II and III have Middle-Eastern and Jungle themes, so they don't necessarily fit into a gothic setting.