PDA

View Full Version : Two unrelated 4th ed. questions...

Grynning
2008-08-09, 12:10 PM
Question 1: Do thrown weapons that can also be used in melee count as ranged weapons for the purpose of ranger powers? I've been trying to recreate a thrower character who dual-wields axes in melee and I think it would work, but I just want to know if I'm house ruling it if I go this way, or if by RAW the heavy thrown hand-axes count as ranged for powers like Spray of Arrows (name of the power notwithstanding).

Question 2: Can someone please explain the bit on page 226 about milestones and item powers? It says "Each time you reach a milestone, you gain one additional use of a magic item daily power." Does this mean you get extra uses on top of the flat amounts listed right above that, or does it just "refresh the cooldown" the items that you've already used powers from (so you can use different powers from the items before you rest)?

NecroRebel
2008-08-09, 12:36 PM
1. It doesn't appear to say explicitly, but it does appear that you can. There doesn't seem to be any difference between fired arrows and thrown axes as far as powers are concerned; both are "ranged attacks" and so should work.

2. At heroic tier, you can use 1 magic item power in any given day. This increases at paragon and epic tier. Every 2 battles without an extended rest (milestone), you can use 1 more magic item power that day, allowing Heroic characters to use 2 powers in 1 day for example. It does not recharge items.

CthulhuM
2008-08-09, 12:41 PM
I'm fairly certain I've seen it explicitly stated that melee/thrown weapons can be used with ranged powers (though only when you're actually throwing them, obviously). I can't recall where though - it's either in the introductory section under weapons or the power description section (perhaps where it describes the weapon keyword?).

Starsinger
2008-08-09, 12:49 PM
But note, that a Heavy Thrown weapon only uses strength for basic attacks, and thus you'll want a decent dexterity for ranged powers.

Grynning
2008-08-09, 12:53 PM
Oh yeah, I'm aware of the MAD issue...but my axe throwing dwarf was my first D&D character ever (way back in AD&D) and I'd like him to be represented in 4th edition stats.

KillianHawkeye
2008-08-09, 01:56 PM
1. Thrown weapons count as ranged weapons when you are throwing them (at range).

2. This gives you another use of an item's daily power. Note that this still does not let you re-use an item you have already used that day. You are still limited to using each item's power only once. (PHB 226)

Pirate_King
2008-08-09, 04:09 PM
2. This gives you another use of an item's daily power. Note that this still does not let you re-use an item you have already used that day. You are still limited to using each item's power only once. (PHB 226)

I've seen this explanation a couple times, but I want to make sure I understand it. heroic wizard has two wands, and uses the daily power on one, thus using up his daily item powers. when he hits a milestone, he is able to use the power in the other one, but not the first one, yes?

fractic
2008-08-09, 04:11 PM
I've seen this explanation a couple times, but I want to make sure I understand it. heroic wizard has two wands, and uses the daily power on one, thus using up his daily item powers. when he hits a milestone, he is able to use the power in the other one, but not the first one, yes?

That is absoluty correct.