PDA

View Full Version : I think I found a proper match for Cthulhu...

Eerie
2008-08-09, 01:06 PM
Cthulhu vs. Auditors of Reality.

What do you think?

13_CBS
2008-08-09, 01:17 PM
Their corporeal forms can be killed by chocolate.

No.

:smalltongue:

chiasaur11
2008-08-09, 01:25 PM
Hey, that's only when they become human.
Normally, only DEATH can kill them. Which he does.

Side note:
I'd place good money on Death beating Cthulhu in a fight.
He only died for less than an hour, and will live, well, forever by all evidence, so Cthulhu whole "strange aeons when even death may die" shtick won't cut it.

Somebloke
2008-08-09, 03:33 PM
The only way to beat the auditors is to get everyone to believe in Cthulu.

Which would be catastrophic.

Think of the scene in Peter Pan where everyone claps to bring tinkerbell back to life, but more 18+.

Foeofthelance
2008-08-09, 03:38 PM
Think of the scene in Peter Pan where everyone claps to bring tinkerbell back to life, but more 18+.

Real bad time to be in Japan?

Anyway, I'd have to give it to Cthulu on this one. The less orderly and more chaotic something is, the more insane it drives the Auditors. The more insane they become, the closer they become to human (mostly based on Thief of Time) and thus the more vulnerable they become. Especially if they try to become human to escape...

On the other hand, for all we know Cthulu accidentally created the Auditors after having a bad burrito before he went down for nap, and they're just trying to organize everything for him before he wakes up. Can you properly drive someone insane by being too orderly?

Revlid
2008-08-10, 07:54 AM
Anyway, I'd have to give it to Cthulu on this one. The less orderly and more chaotic something is, the more insane it drives the Auditors. The more insane they become, the closer they become to human (mostly based on Thief of Time) and thus the more vulnerable they become. Especially if they try to become human to escape...

No. The less catergorizable/quantifiable something is, the more insane it drives the Auditors. This is why they hate Gods, Emotions, etc.

But Cthulhu isn't immaterial or magical, he's just extradimensional - Humjan minds can't understand him, but the Auditors most certainly can, likely as Squidheadus Elderdeificus Horribilis. Therefore, if they (for some reason) are compelled to destroy him, they can do so without going insane trying to quantify him (and thereby having to become human to do so).

Dervag
2008-08-10, 08:21 AM
Yeah.

The basic theme of the Cthulhu mythos is that the real powerhouses of the universe are beings humans simply cannot cope with on any level. We do not have and cannot develop the language or mathematics to describe what they are capable of. Even a glancing insight into the true nature of reality is something that breaks our brains.

Auditors shouldn't have that problem. They exist, quite specifically, to keep track of the inner workings of the physical universe. Non-Euclidean geometry won't slow them down; the fundamental nature of matter in its terrible glorious is their daily occupation. They can deal with Cthulhu.

If anything, the Auditors of Reality are an inversion of the Lovecraftian paradigm. To them, we are the incomprehensible beings. We do things like... hope. Our senses do not merely tell us what is happening (imprecisely), they create sensations. Auditors have trouble with sensations. They can make chemistry and physics sit up and beg, but psychology is something they do not and can not understand.

Which is not to say we are more powerful than Auditors- we're just intensely, horribly annoying to Auditors.

Now, Nyarlathotep could probably tie Auditors in knots.

Grod_The_Giant
2008-08-10, 09:23 PM
stuff

QFT. That's all there is to say, really.

Graymayre
2008-08-10, 10:05 PM
I have a real match

Cthulhu versus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h15xIoVwWw&feature=related

BizzaroStormy
2008-08-10, 10:52 PM
Eh, this would probably cause C'thulhu's mind to melt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Graymayre
2008-08-10, 11:28 PM
BLARGGH! *FOAMS AT THE MOUTH*

chiasaur11
2008-08-10, 11:30 PM
BLARGGH! *FOAMS AT THE MOUTH*

Yep. That's about what I expected.

Sam
2008-08-23, 05:11 PM
If I remember, they knock out Cthullu with a boat in the books- killing him would take some special trick, but nullifying him shouldn't be too hard.

Jerthanis
2008-08-23, 11:06 PM
Cthulu Vs. The Alert... Round 1: FIGHT!

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2008-08-23, 11:26 PM
Conan defeated some Lovecraftian hellspawn of a pretty high order, if I recall. Sometimes, it is not at all advantageous for the guy one is fighting to be driven wholly insane. For instance, if he is then consumed with a deicidal, reality-bending fury where his anger becomes like unto a Deus Ex Machina, but with more muscles and black bangs fashionable on teenage Russian exchange students.