PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm back! And I'm joining the Fire Service!

Eldred
2008-08-09, 05:31 PM
Hi everyone!

It's been a long time since I've been on the forums; I think I last visited over 4 months ago! I've been busy with lots of things, including getting my 1st Dan black belt in Wado Ryu Karate after 10 long years of training! Yay! :smallsmile:

And, as the title says, I'm going to be joining the Fire Service in a few years! I've been very fortunate that a man who trains in the same dojo as me works in the Fire Service. I talked to him about my interests in becoming a firefighter and got some excellent advice. He says that, so long as I keep focused on becoming a firefighter, in a few years a fulltime position could easily be acquired. Not only that, but he also said that I'm almost guaranteed a position as a retained firefighter at my local town if I don't want to go full-time. Needless to say, I'm a very happy bunny right now :smallbiggrin:

I am looking for some advise, however, regarding physical fitness. I've been doing traditional karate for 10 years which has helped a lot regarding muscular endurance. My main concern is physical strength -- I'm not the strongest teenager in the world. I've been considering using heavy sandbags to train with, using exercises that mimic the movements typical firefighters do (eg. carrying equipment, carrying/dragging people, running up multiple flights of stairs, etc). If anyone could give advise on training, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've got 2 years left at college, where I'm studying for a National Diploma in Uniformed Public Services, so I want to spend those 2 years building up my strength too.

Thank you! :smallsmile:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-08-09, 06:15 PM
Crow? This one's for you.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-09, 07:22 PM
Ya, I'd definitely PM Crow.

And welcome back to the playground! :smallsmile:

Lord Herman
2008-08-09, 07:29 PM
Welcome back, Eldred! :smallsmile:

I think it's great you want to join the Fire Service. The world need heroes like that; and you may not be allowed to wear tight spandex and a cape when you're in the fire brigade, but someone who goes into burning buildings to save people certainly counts as a hero in my book.

de-trick
2008-08-09, 07:47 PM
id say talk with crow, but im keeping interested in this thread for myself, planning on joining RCMP, and need to stay in shape as well

Haruki-kun
2008-08-09, 08:27 PM
You may not be allowed to wear tight spandex and a cape when you're in the fire brigade, but someone who goes into burning buildings to save people certainly counts as a hero in my book.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Vaarsuvius89/funny-pictures-true-heroes.jpg

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-09, 08:29 PM
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Vaarsuvius89/funny-pictures-true-heroes.jpg

............ What?

Eldred
2008-08-10, 02:47 AM
Ya, I'd definitely PM Crow.

And welcome back to the playground! :smallsmile:
Thank you! :smallsmile:

Hehe, I'm guessing Crow is the fitness guru on the forum? I'll send him a PM asap.

Welcome back, Eldred! :smallsmile:

I think it's great you want to join the Fire Service. The world need heroes like that; and you may not be allowed to wear tight spandex and a cape when you're in the fire brigade, but someone who goes into burning buildings to save people certainly counts as a hero in my book.
Thank you for the kind words. I've always wanted to make a difference in the world for all my 17 years of existance, I just haven't been sure how to. I've talked to a lot of people, including my grandfather who was a retained firefighter, and it sounds like a career that I'd enjoy, find challenging, and a career that I could look back on with honour. If I spent my whole life as a firefighter and saved just one person's life, it would make all the hardwork I put in worthwhile.

I'll stop blabbing about personal reasons now :smallredface:

Castaras
2008-08-10, 03:23 AM
............ What?

I'd more have thought that would be an "Awwwww" moment, but that is a cool lolcat picture. ^.^

Hoggy
2008-08-10, 05:44 PM
I'm so going to go burn down a house in your town so I can meet you.

Congratz :smallbiggrin:

Nibleswick
2008-08-10, 06:00 PM
Sir, I commend you on your courage and willingness to go into such a profession. You are going to see some terrible things, and also some wonderful things; don't dwell to much on the terrible things.

Oh, and welcome back.

Eldred
2008-08-11, 06:34 AM
I'm so going to go burn down a house in your town so I can meet you.

Congratz :smallbiggrin:
Eep! Please dont! I'm gonna have to make my way to the next UK meetup to save that poor house! :smalltongue:

Sir, I commend you on your courage and willingness to go into such a profession. You are going to see some terrible things, and also some wonderful things; don't dwell to much on the terrible things.

Oh, and welcome back.
Thank you. I can imagine dealing with the first fatalities will be a heart-shaking experience but, as you say, there are some wonderful things in this career. Let's hope it's more of the latter.