PDA

View Full Version : dex

xelliea
2008-08-09, 06:55 PM
help I am making a thief and i am halfling (+2 dex) should i put the 17 on dex = 19 dex or put the 15 on dex = 17 dex and put the 17 on somthing else:smallfrown: he is sneaky and arogant

Estovus
2008-08-09, 06:58 PM
{Scrubbed}

monty
2008-08-09, 07:00 PM
Try giving more details, like what system you're playing and what sort of character you're trying to make (combat? skillmonkey?).

Duos Greanleef
2008-08-09, 07:01 PM
Min/max!
DEX 19 baby!:smallbiggrin:

Spiryt
2008-08-09, 07:04 PM
{Scrubbed}

I, however seem to have somewhat masochistic nature, or just be really bored, beacuse I'll try to answer.

Well, xelliea :

1) What edition? What game for that matter.
2) What do you want for your character?
3) With that simple question, why not just Character Builder thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18300)?
4) Some grammar, damn... My grammar is bad, but this...

{Scrubbed}

EDIT: Damn, now I look like I've been flaming myself :smallsigh:

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-09, 07:05 PM
As rogues, I prefer to max my Dex. I would put the 19 in Dex and 15 in Int, then get Weapon Finesse.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-09, 08:07 PM
Two suggestions: One, please capitilize your I's. It's not a problem for some, but it bugs me.

Secondly, I would suggest putting the 17 in dex. It's the bread and butter of the rouge class.

Matthew
2008-08-09, 08:17 PM
Secondly, I would suggest putting the 17 in dex. It's the bread and butter of the rouge class.

No, no. Charisma is the bread and butter of the Rouge Class, you are thinking of the Rogue. :smallbiggrin:

SoD
2008-08-09, 08:20 PM
No, no. Charisma is the bread and butter of the Rouge Class, you are thinking of the Rogue. :smallbiggrin:

Not necaseraly (man, I hate trying to spell that word~). For a con-man rogue, yes, but the OP said 'theif'. I'd recomend putting the 17 into dex, and he 15 into int.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-09, 08:21 PM

I meant the class, not the cosmetic >.>

Rashmi
2008-08-09, 08:32 PM
Not necaseraly (man, I hate trying to spell that word~). For a con-man rogue, yes, but the OP said 'theif'. I'd recomend putting the 17 into dex, and he 15 into int.

Please note that he was making fun of the mispelling of Rogue as Rouge (the makeup)

Matthew
2008-08-09, 08:47 PM
I meant the class, not the cosmetic >.>

Check it out: The Rouge Class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10445) (though to be fair, Dexterity is probably prime for the Rouge as well). :smallbiggrin:

Ah the "Theif", another oft overlooked class... (I don't have a link for one of those) :smallbiggrin:

Aye, the spelling of "necessarily" is a bugbear of mine as well.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-09, 09:19 PM
Matthew: The hell?

Matthew
2008-08-09, 09:35 PM
There are weirder things than even what one may find in the Eye of Terror.

de-trick
2008-08-09, 09:49 PM
like they say, we need more info, and what do u want out of your character

also other stats would be a asset, same with lev

SoD
2008-08-09, 10:23 PM
Please note that he was making fun of the mispelling of Rogue as Rouge (the makeup)

Oh, appologies. I always mispell the two, and pronounce both as rogue (the class, just in case I've spelt it wrong).

ericgrau
2008-08-09, 10:26 PM
Everyone and their great aunt is gonna say "Duh, put your highest stat in dex" because it's typically the rogue's main stat. But don't listen unless you just want the simple answer. It depends on what kind of rogue you want to play; but in general dex comes first.

Are you new? Okay, here's what's gonna happen. You're gonna think "Oh cool, I'm the sneaky tricky acrobatic thief who's gonna stab in cool ways". Nope, you'll start playing and you'll realize for some reason you're not sneaky or acrobatic at all, you just poke stuff like the fighter. Except you die really fast and people keep telling you to check for traps.

So here's what you can do:
1. "Oh no the game starts in an hour, no time!" Put the 17 in con to help keep you alive, make dex your 2nd stat and get weapon finesse (if you're third level or higher) or make str your 2nd stat (if you're 1st or 2nd level). Ask your group about flanking. Okay, now you can sneak attack and have a little fun. You're a thug yo. Run away if you get hurt, and ask for healing. Make sure you put skill ranks into search and disable device so you can check for traps too like your party wants.

2. "The game doesn't start for a while". Ok, great! Read the skill rules very, very carefully. Know them better than your friends, even. Especially balance, bluff, disable device, hide, jump, listen, move silently, search, sleight of hand, spot and tumble, but you might want to use others too. Those are just the "thiefy" ones. If you're not gonna read the rules carefully, you might as well get nothing but search and disable device, because you're almost never gonna know when to use the rest. So read their rules!! Then put your 17 in dex for all your agile stuff. Also get a high con to stay alive and a high int for more skills. The rest doesn't matter much. Now you're a friggin' ninja. Or if you want a different kind of rogue, find out what stats you need for your skills and attacks, but still get a good con to stay alive.

For sneak attacks you can flank like #1, or read hide/move silently/bluff rules, or use a bow against monsters that haven't taken their first turn in round 1 (they're still kinda surprised or really "flat-footed" so you can sneak attack them).

Hawriel
2008-08-09, 11:10 PM
Two suggestions: One, please capitilize your I's. It's not a problem for some, but it bugs me.

If your going to be a jerk about a person's spelling. At least try to proofread your posts properly. Or don't post at all.

Last I checked rouge is not a class. Maybe in a splat book of your's there is a cosmetic or red based class. Rogue is a class based on being a scoundrel, knave, or thief.

xPANCAKEx
2008-08-09, 11:43 PM
ZIIIIIING!

but back on track... it depends what the rest of your stats look like, but typically as a rogue you really want dex as your top stat, although sometimes Int can pay off in the long run if all the rest of your stats are mediocore.

Con comes a distant 3rd choice

the hard part will be to pick your dump stat... especially if your dump stat roll is horrifically low. But on the plus side it makes for great chances to roleplay an interesting characters. The unwise rogue can be a comic choice

Thanatos 51-50
2008-08-09, 11:51 PM
The way I prioritize a 3.5 Rogue cat burgler

DEX/INT
WIS/STR
CHA/CON

Half before the slash over the other half, tier one over tier two.

If you can "level off" the stats in a tier, do it. (In this situation, drop your 15 into Dex for the +2 Bonus and put the 17 into INT)

Spiryt
2008-08-10, 05:02 AM
The way I prioritize a 3.5 Rogue cat burgler

DEX/INT
WIS/STR
CHA/CON

Half before the slash over the other half, tier one over tier two.

If you can "level off" the stats in a tier, do it. (In this situation, drop your 15 into Dex for the +2 Bonus and put the 17 into INT)

The word "thief" and his other posts suggests that he's not playing 3.5 edition.

SoD
2008-08-10, 05:54 AM
The word "thief" and his other posts suggests that he's not playing 3.5 edition.

Unless, of course, he was using the word 'theif' as a descriptor, not a class name.

Kompera
2008-08-10, 05:57 AM
If your going to be a jerk about a person's spelling. At least try to proofread your posts properly. Or don't post at all.

Last I checked rouge is not a class. Maybe in a splat book of your's there is a cosmetic or red based class. Rogue is a class based on being a scoundrel, knave, or thief.
That's "If you're going to [...]". :-D

Chronos
2008-08-10, 02:56 PM
For a 3.x rogue, I would recommend that Dex and Int be the two highest stats. Which one is higher depends on what you have to work with: I would shoot for at least a 14 in Int, possibly higher. Basically, figure out how many skills you want to max out, and then shoot for an Int high enough to get them all. Once you've got that, get your Dex as high as possible.

Charisma is good for some rogue builds, if you're planning on using the social skills heavily (bluff, diplomacy, disguise, etc.), and Use Magic Device is also based on Cha. But if you're not bothering too much with those skills, then you don't really need Cha. Constitution is of course great for anyone, since everyone uses hit points, but a thief-type's primary defense should be to avoid getting hit (or ideally, even targeted) in the first place. Don't try to soak up hits.

Wis isn't too much use, but it's still used for Listen, Spot, and will saves, so it's not a total waste. And Strength should be your dump stat, since there's nothing you can get from Str that you can't get from something else (Weapon Finesse or ranged weapons for to-hit, Sneak Attack for damage, and a [Heward's] Handy Haversack or a pack mule for carrying capacity).

monty
2008-08-10, 03:45 PM
So much hypocrisy in this thread! I think that there have been more posts about spelling than about the topic itself.

Anyway, back on topic...if you want to be sneaky, definitely max your Dex.