PDA

View Full Version : Wargames

Lupy
2008-08-09, 07:42 PM
Just now I was walking my dog in around the neighborhood when I had the coolest idea ever: A wargame in my neighborhood using:

12 Higher end RC airplanes ((I'm working on a link.))
25 Digital video recorders ((Looking for a good link, it needs to be able to give a live feed.))
8 Headsets
40ish high power modems
12 small hard drives
4 LCD monitors Nothing too high tech. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8913385&type=product&id=1213399955235)
2 Quad core PCs with excellent processors Like these (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&a1=Category&v1=Entertainment+powerhouse&series_name=d5000t_series)
2 SAW airsoft replicas with good FPS These would be good. (http://www.weaponblender.com/index.php?productID=345)
4 Airsoft assult rifle replicas with good FPS I think these would be good. (http://www.weaponblender.com/index.php?productID=554)
2 model rockets These would be fine. (http://www.estesrockets.com/rockets.php?pid=001896)
Infrared sensors and emitters. ((Probably need to be custom made.))

So once I had all these things, I would set things up as follows:
The infrared emitters would go in the airplanes, divided into "a" and "b" groups. Further more a and b each have 3 class 1 planes, 2 class 2s, and 1 class 3. On the class one planes the emitter would go on the bottom so that the infrared rays would be sent towards the ground. The sensor would go on the rear of the fuselage, under the tail. On the class 2 planes the emitter would be on the nose, and the sensor also below the tail. The class 3 has no emitter and a sensor under the tail. The class 3 has a digital recorder on the underside that is mounted so as to pivot 160 degrees. If you were following this, we now have bombers, fighters, and recon planes. After this we will plant two large sensors on the ground, one in my backyard and one in a friend's yard a mile away. Then we outfit three "a" infantry and three "b" infantry with the airsoft guns above, one SAW and two assult rifles per group and 4 cameras each on their helmets ((fore, aft, port, starbaord))

This accomplished it's time to break out those computers and modems. We set up these modems overlapping between the two houses. Using the modems we can send flight patterns to our planes from our computers. We can also give orders to our infantry via the headsets and view the areas around them through their helmet cameras. The LCDs are being used to view the footage coming in live from the infantry and recon plane. The objectives are as follows:

A) To be the first team to launch their rocket at the middle ground. This symbolises launching a rocket strike.
B) To bomb the other team's base (house) more than the other team (fly bombers over), at least 15 times (must return to base to "reload" after every run)
C) To down the most enemy aircraft (via lining up the nose of a fighter with the tail sensor of an enemy craft)
D) To "kill" the most enemy infantry by shooting them with an airsoft gun.

NOTE: The airsoft guns may be used to destroy an enemy rocket if the other team has not already started to operate and/or arm it. They can be used against aircraft

--------------------------

So Playgrounders, what do you think of my little war game? Questions are welcome.

NOTE: I do not currently have the capacity to pull this off, but any tips towards bettering the plans are welcome.

Raiser Blade
2008-08-09, 07:56 PM
That sounds... complicated.

Although if you do pull it off I demand video! Or at least pictures...

DraPrime
2008-08-09, 09:50 PM
My and my friends just ran at each other with sticks and trashcan lids when we were little, but I guess this will be more entertaining for someone more mature than a bunch of 6 year old boys.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-09, 10:20 PM
Oh Oh Oh!! I tired to hook a airsoft gun to my RC plane once. Wrked alot better than I expected... I could put it on Manual, Semi-Auto, Three Shot Burst, and Automatic.... *surpresses chuckling*

Pshhhh, No I couldn't I hooked it up on the bottom, sideways, so I could fire it manually, or automatically until the clip was empty... It took several days to rig, espically the remote, and the neighbor sho it out of the sky. :smallfurious:...

:furious:!!!

Good Idea though, PM if you need help rigging the guns on.

Oh, and I'd love a video of it. :smallbiggrin:

Dave Rapp
2008-08-09, 10:21 PM
These are the things that the nerds over at XKCD team up to accomplish. Go for it- and put the video on YouTube!

Thanatos 51-50
2008-08-09, 11:21 PM
My and my friends just ran at each other with sticks and trashcan lids when we were little, but I guess this will be more entertaining for someone more mature than a bunch of 6 year old boys.

MY friends and I ditched the trashcan lids.
And often, we dropped the sticks in mid-combat, too.

My friends and I know how to block and take a blow.

Lupy
2008-08-10, 01:24 PM
Does anyone know of a good way to get cheap modems? That seems like the biggest setback at the moment. :smallconfused:

averagejoe
2008-08-10, 03:18 PM
Oh, when will humanity learn... the only winning move is not to play!

For serious, though, it looks like a cool idea. It is entirely out of my areas of knowledge/experience, but I'll be following with interest nonetheless.

pendell
2008-08-10, 04:39 PM
Does anyone know of a good way to get cheap modems? That seems like the biggest setback at the moment. :smallconfused:

Erm ... Craig's List? A used computer store?

Modems should be CHEAP, since all the world is going to DSL/broadband.

I also look forward to the video.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-10, 04:52 PM
Definitely sounds like an xkcd comic. Mebbe email the guy who makes it?

Lupy
2008-08-10, 08:44 PM
This would be a good XKCD. But I was really looking for ideas and suggestions to improve it.

Raiser Blade
2008-08-11, 10:25 PM
I can say without a doubt that it needs more cowbell.

Leon Stormchild
2008-08-12, 09:55 AM
Tell me when and where. I am SO IN! :smallbiggrin:

Moff Chumley
2008-08-12, 01:18 PM
I can say without a doubt that it needs more cowbell.

Yyyyees! MOAR COWBELL!!1one
:eek:

I'd say use remote control tanks, also with large airsoft weaponry. And you need to have golf cart/minigun platforms. I dunno how, but just make it happed. :smallcool: