PDA

View Full Version : RPGA Questions

Waspinator
2008-08-09, 08:15 PM
I've been thinking about getting involved in the RPGA for awhile now and have recently submitted a registration for a membership (haven't received it yet, but it should be coming). I'll probably try to pass the GM test ASAP and would then like to get some 3.5 adventures to play with my friends. What I am wondering is simple: how does the process of acquiring adventures work? Is there any way for me to get access to a bunch of adventures at once so I can decide which ones to actually run, or is it more limited than that? Campaigns I would be interested in acquiring adventures for include Xen'drik Expeditions, Undermountain Adventures, Living Force (yes, I know it's not 3.5 or Saga Edition, but it could make nice inspiration if converted to Saga), Greyhawk Ruins, and Living Greyhawk (Bright Lands?).

Thurbane
2008-08-09, 08:57 PM
I did it myself for the first time just recently. I had been an RPGA member for a while, so I decided to take the "Herald" (DM) test.

After passing the test, the next step is to register an event - the event can be a public event, or it can be a session at home. Once you do this, you can select a number of adventures to download for your event. I downloaded CGR7-01 and CGR7-02 as a prequel to the Expedition to Castle Greyhawk adenture. :smallsmile:

Waspinator
2008-08-10, 01:22 PM
So, you can get adventures for home play just fine? Does it matter if the other people are RPGA members or not?

Kurald Galain
2008-08-10, 02:49 PM
I've been thinking about getting involved in the RPGA for awhile now and have recently submitted a registration for a membership (haven't received it yet, but it should be coming).
Yeah, they're really slow with those atm.

What I am wondering is simple: how does the process of acquiring adventures work?
To my knowledge, if you actually want to play anything that has to do with the RPGA, you have to play in the Living Realms, which means that you have to use 4E and that particular setting, and you have to use the officially sanctioned adventures available from the RPGA, and your players all have to be members. Yes, that's pretty limited. It doesn't contain Saga Edition or Living Greyhawk, for starters.

On the other hand, you can simply play whatever you like and not care about your "rankings".

NPCMook
2008-08-10, 06:20 PM
There is a Saga Edition (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/dodcampaign) RPGA adventure going, unfortunately its updating slowly, it was originally supposed to update every month, starting last November, and we are just now getting the 6th adventure.

Remember though, when getting your friends to join the RPGA let them know that it will take about a month till they get their numbers, its the waiting thats slightly annoying.

If your FLGS has a lot of DnD players I'd recommend setting up an event at the shop, just make sure there is enough of an interest first and enough people willing to be your appeal GMs.

Waspinator
2008-08-10, 06:46 PM
Yeah, Dawn of Defiance is neat, even if it's slow. I didn't mention it, though, since although it's apparently RPGA approved, it does not require RPGA membership to access the files.

Waspinator
2008-08-22, 06:46 PM
Ok, minor thread necromancy. I've got my membership number via email and have taken the DM test, although my actual membership card has not showed up yet. I have a couple more questions:

1: Supposedly you can go to any RPGA-sanctioned event and get a card on the spot. Once I start using my registration, even my home games count as such events, right? Is there any way for me to get blank cards to make my friends registering easier?

2: I signed up for the rewards program but don't see anything on my RPGA member page about it yet. Does anyone know how to see my current status in it?

Thanks.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-22, 09:31 PM
Some WOTC adventures while you are waiting:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b

Glyde
2008-08-22, 10:09 PM
It used to be cool, now it's plagued by elitist DMs and players (At least in my area.)

Oh yeah, that gryphon has cleave. It also can move 15 feet in order to hit something with said cleave.

Grrrrr. He made it up because he was afraid of my first level dwarven wizard with true strike active finishing it off. It killed me in one hit (yes, to -10)

NPCMook
2008-08-23, 03:16 PM
Ok, minor thread necromancy. I've got my membership number via email and have taken the DM test, although my actual membership card has not showed up yet. I have a couple more questions:

1: Supposedly you can go to any RPGA-sanctioned event and get a card on the spot. Once I start using my registration, even my home games count as such events, right? Is there any way for me to get blank cards to make my friends registering easier?

2: I signed up for the rewards program but don't see anything on my RPGA member page about it yet. Does anyone know how to see my current status in it?

Thanks. Answer 1: No actually you have to request Application forms that you then mail back in...

Answer 2: If you have done no events or played anything RPGA sanctioned then you have a whole 0 points