PDA

View Full Version : Hell hath no fury...

krossbow
2008-08-09, 09:21 PM
Well, so much for everyone insisting that therkla wasn't evil just because she wanted to get it on with Elan.

So, think she'll be up as a recurring character, or end up like samantha and get gutted like a fish?

Grokvar
2008-08-09, 09:26 PM
or end up like samantha and get gutted like a fish?

hehe, nice.

I think she'll be that after this is all over.

Logalmier
2008-08-09, 09:30 PM
Gutted like a fish, if she lets Elan go then the Order will be after her. If she kills him the Order will be after her. Durkon will think: Hey, where's Elan? And when they search the woods they'll find his decapitated remains. Of course, she IS a ninja... so it might be hard to find her.

RubberBandMan
2008-08-09, 09:38 PM
I love how savvy Elan is being, first trying to let her down easy, pointing out all the reasons it wouldn't work, and then... when its all on the line, says the thing that won't get his head cut off.

Werewindlefr
2008-08-09, 09:38 PM
so it might be hard to find her.V has trained his divination powers.

Zolem
2008-08-09, 09:48 PM
I love how savvy Elan is being, first trying to let her down easy, pointing out all the reasons it wouldn't work, and then... when its all on the line, says the thing that won't get his head cut off.

It's just pizza in a hanging out as friends kind of way. That will not get you off the hook.

Dire Platypus
2008-08-09, 10:14 PM
It's just pizza in a hanging out as friends kind of way. That will not get you off the hook.

Yeah, I guess you're right.Anyway, I liked the fact that altough the "lover" stereotype Elan plays he is lawful in the matter of relationships.

dworkin
2008-08-09, 11:16 PM

I dunno, people so luststruck often take anything they can get. They have a tendancy to misinterpret things and remain hopeful beyond any point of sanity.

David Argall
2008-08-09, 11:29 PM
Well, so much for everyone insisting that therkla wasn't evil just because she wanted to get it on with Elan.
That she is evil should have been obvious, but we have many who want to insist Belkar isn't...

Of course, I suspect we have several ladies who might argue that killing the lad who dumped you is not evil.

So, think she'll be up as a recurring character, or end up like samantha and get gutted like a fish?
She has definite potential for gutting herself, but she has a number of possible scenes, in particular interactions with Haley.

Revlid
2008-08-10, 07:38 AM
Of course, I suspect we have several ladies who might argue that killing the lad who dumped you is not evil.

Of course, since Elanm has dumped neither of the ladies, this point is moot.

Sylian
2008-08-10, 08:34 AM
Anyway, I liked the fact that altough the "lover" stereotype Elan plays he is lawful in the matter of relationships.
Or, y'know, Good. Cheating on Haley would be Evil, which is something I don't think Elan would do.

Gashad
2008-08-10, 09:29 AM
Actually, I would like to point out that it is far from certain that she will attack Elan. It is a common trick in web comics to make the reader see the situation in one way yet in the next strip reveal its another. Therkla may have spotted another threat(we all know Elans spot is useless so he may have overlooked it) and is responding to it.

AlexanderRM
2008-08-10, 11:41 AM
Or, y'know, Good. Cheating on Haley would be Evil, which is something I don't think Elan would do.
We've already discussed this...

kossuth's_spark
2008-08-10, 12:11 PM

Realy? when?

Zolem
2008-08-10, 12:26 PM
Realy? when?

Last strip deiscusion and a lot of people were filign cheating under Chaotic not Evil big argument blah blah blah let's not get into that.

Actually, I would like to point out that it is far from certain that she will attack Elan. It is a common trick in web comics to make the reader see the situation in one way yet in the next strip reveal its another. Therkla may have spotted another threat(we all know Elans spot is useless so he may have overlooked it) and is responding to it.

That would be ironic indeed.

Jigsaw Forte
2008-08-10, 12:38 PM

Possible but unlikely. When was the last time we saw such a scene?

krossbow
2008-08-10, 12:56 PM
Possible but unlikely. When was the last time we saw such a scene?

Its times like these that Haley's latent bisexuality could solve all the order's problems.

Off of that, I personally would love to see therkla join the linear guild. Unfortunately, i don't think she really fits any of the evil opposite spots. She could be Haleys, but we already got sabine, and i don't think she's going anywhere anytime soon.

Dire Platypus
2008-08-10, 01:41 PM

Very true, but I always though these kind of things were more related to chaotic/lawful.

Paladin29
2008-08-10, 02:23 PM
Very true, but I always though these kind of things were more related to chaotic/lawful.

I think that it´s chaotic only when there is some kind of religious ritual or civil status, and Haley and Elan are not marriage. And It´d be evil only if there is a true love between them (or at least in the one who is not cheating).

Dave Rapp
2008-08-10, 02:36 PM
She'll be the next Miko. She'll around long enough for the reader to get to know her and for the Giant to make some kind of point, and then she'll be gone. Probably killed off.

Both the bad guys (Linear Guild etc) and side protagonists (Celia etc) appear only every once in a while. She's been around too many times to be either.

Kurald Galain
2008-08-10, 02:40 PM
Depends. If she's bluffing, it's chaotic rather than evil - she hasn't actually done anything against Elan yet.

Cheating on someone isn't evil (assuming it stems from negligence rather than malice); it's chaotic.

Off of that, I personally would love to see therkla join the linear guild.
That'd be fun. We all know Nale would be rather cute if he shaved off that stupid goatee... she could be :durkon:'s opposite, in that she's not moral and not stealthless and not opposed to affairs.

AceOfFools
2008-08-10, 05:58 PM

Well, villains in OotS don't have the best life expectancy.

After having a showdown with the order:

Eliminated with basically 0 hope for return:
1/3 of the original Linear Guild,
The Leaders of the Bandits,
Kobold Salsa,
Miko,
The Skeleton triplets

Challenged the order and came back later:
Nale, Sabine, & Thog,
Xykon, Redcloak and MitD,
Miko.

Survived confrontation, but without any foreshadowing that they'll be back:
Hilgya, Pompei, Leaky
the Assassins

People I'm not counting:
Tsukiko (didn't turn to the dark side until after the order split)
Threkla (first actual conflict with Order members ongoing)
Kubota (no direct confrontation + his first story is ongoing)
Bozzok and Guild (first confrontation ongoing)
Generic Minions, wandering monsters and other insignificant threats that only lasted a couple of comics.

Since the recurring list is exactly as long as the eliminated list (counting the triplets as a single character due to lack of significance and development), you might be wondering how I consider that high.

Well, most comics tend to keep characters around for extended periods of time, making all or virtually all villains come back several times.

The Joker won't ever die... for real. Not that I read Marvel.

Felixaar
2008-08-10, 06:51 PM
I dunno, people so luststruck often take anything they can get. They have a tendancy to misinterpret things and remain hopeful beyond any point of sanity.

You mean theres a way to... not... be beyond the point of sanity?

Hmm. Interesting.

busterswd
2008-08-10, 08:27 PM
Heh, I'm genuinely curious what her expression means: it's not on a the scale of Miko's Hatred for OOTS (:smallfurious:) but she doesn't look pleased either. Is that mild annoyment that he'd turn her down so easily or resignation that Elan is iredeemable to her now?

ChickenDancer
2008-08-10, 08:49 PM
She's Chaotic Neutral. She has a boss that she lies too but still feels relatively honor bound to him though he's evil. She broke her word for a chance at love with Elan, she's saved him several times for her own benefit without any regard for the others and even asked him to cheat on his girlfriend (And if he did... well we all know how Haley reacts to skanks...). But when he refused she really had no more of a reason to break her word any more until he gave in and will probably not attack him now that she has a date.

She's driven by pure self interest without really feeling it necessary to do harm but she's still not above it.

I think if she was really evil she would have just taken Elan against his will like the succubus would or just plain killed him without any remorse.

Red XIV
2008-08-10, 09:13 PM
Yes, and it was pointed out that Chaotic does not mean "Evil-Lite".

WarriorTribble
2008-08-10, 09:20 PM
Therkla going the Linear Guild will be a rather sad thing imo. Sabine obviously wouldn't mind (at least initally) Therkla would only want Nale for his body, and Sabine is illicit sex given form. But it'll be very depressing to see her join a group just because she wants to be loved in some strange proxy short of way, not to mention also for some form of vengenance possibly against Haley. On the plus side that'll make Sabine an instant gal pal (and possibly more?)

David Argall
2008-08-10, 09:22 PM
Of course, since Elanm has dumped neither of the ladies, this point is moot.

She offered, rather vigorously and definitely. He declined. That is close enough to dumping.

Fish
2008-08-10, 10:03 PM
I would just like to point out that "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" is not the full quote.

"Heaven has no rage, like love to hatred turn'd,
Nor hell a fury, like a woman scorn'd."

—William Congreve in "The Mourning Bride"

AceOfFools
2008-08-10, 10:24 PM
She's Chaotic Neutral. She has a boss that she lies too but still feels relatively honor bound to him though he's evil. She broke her word for a chance at love with Elan, she's saved him several times for her own benefit without any regard for the others and even asked him to cheat on his girlfriend (And if he did... well we all know how Haley reacts to skanks...). But when he refused she really had no more of a reason to break her word any more until he gave in and will probably not attack him now that she has a date.

She's driven by pure self interest without really feeling it necessary to do harm but she's still not above it.

I think if she was really evil she would have just taken Elan against his will like the succubus would or just plain killed him without any remorse.
1. Threkla is trying as hard as she can to be a succubus. It's just not working.

2. She murdered her way into valedictorian of her class; aided her evil master in a plot to kill Hinjo and leave as much of Azure City under the hobgob heels; attacks allies (sea trolls) in order to get closer to Elan, and uses threat of violence when the sympathy ploy doesn't work. How does that constitute anything but a willingness to do do harm.

3. She saved his life once on orc island. PCs of Elan's level do not fear the sorts of random encounters that creatures of Qarr's level charm into fighting for them. And then she was more than willing to let everyone else die, until she realized how upset that would make boy-toy.

And finally
4. Working for self interest is a token of any non-good alignment excepting LN. Evil in DnD is practically defined as acting out of self interest with total disregard to how others suffer for it.

You do have two valid points in your CN argument, but two points an alignment does not make.

Kurald Galain
2008-08-11, 02:16 AM
(And if he did... well we all know how Haley reacts to skanks...)

Oh come on, Therkla isn't even airborne yet!

Linkavitch
2008-08-11, 10:33 AM
Even if Elan escapes, he's eventually going to get something done to him by Therkla. Mabye she becomes Thog's girlfriend, cause she's his special person. I don't know. Only the Giant does.

krossbow
2008-08-11, 11:48 AM
Well, there goes this thread. The newest comic unfortunately makes all the speculation about her going crazy ex on elan moot.

Ron Miel
2008-08-11, 01:47 PM
Prediction:

She'll become Hinjo's bodyguard. She'll spend the next few strips pining after Elan. When she meets Haley, she'll give her a big hug, then say "take care of him or I'll kill you." And then she'll find true happiness with Belkar.

Zolem
2008-08-11, 06:02 PM

We have a winner!

krossbow
2008-08-11, 06:19 PM
Personally, i think that the next few comics will show a strain between the chaotic good characters (I.E. Elan) and the lawful good characters (I.E. the paladins).

While a chaotic good person like Elan might be willing to completely forgive an evil person, i think that the lawful good people will insist on the same punishment as anyone else (I.E., no special treatment), which might cause a few arguments.

AceOfFools
2008-08-11, 06:39 PM
Or they could show clemency in exchange for her testimony against an even greater evil.

hamishspence
2008-08-12, 01:21 PM
Hinjo himself has shown himself to be willing to commute punishments if the criminal proves themselves to be willing to do some community service, like fighting for the side of good. Seems plausible that Therkla might get offered a deal.

krossbow
2008-08-13, 04:54 PM
Hinjo himself has shown himself to be willing to commute punishments if the criminal proves themselves to be willing to do some community service, like fighting for the side of good. Seems plausible that Therkla might get offered a deal.

I think the current comic is basically what i predicted :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2008-08-13, 04:56 PM
close, but you predicted no deal, and comic had Deal, but Therkla turned it down. Still, result was what you predicted: Therkla in custody.