PDA

View Full Version : NaNoWriMo

Syka
2006-10-06, 10:31 AM
For those who have never heard of NaNoWriMo before (like myself before yesterday), it is National Novel Writing Month.

But not quite what you think. Essentially your supposed to start from scratch and write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days (from Nov 1-30), or part of a novel with 50,000 words. Its just a funny little thing and the only qualification necessary to win is hitting the 50k mark. It's not an actual contest and the finished products usually aren't too pretty, but it seems like a fun thing to do.

So...the point I'm making is, I'm going to be trying to do this for my first time. I was wondering if anyone else from GiantITP was attempting it, so we could form a 'support' group of sorts. Compare progress, plot lines, and ways we're finding to make time.

My sister was orginally going to 'compete' with me but then she dropped it. :-/ I like doing stuff like this with other people so you get the friendly-competitive atmosphere going.

That's about it. The website (www.nanowrimo.org) is here for more info.

Cheers,
Syka

ZombieRockStar
2006-10-06, 10:37 AM
Hmm...I may do this again. I did it last year (and acutally finished!) but this year is extremely heavy on me with schoolwork, and November is always the month when all the essays are due.

Syka
2006-10-06, 10:44 AM
I know what you mean. I have an 8 page research paper I was actually shooting for gettin in the beginning to Nov. It's not due til the end of term, but the professor said he's more lenient the earlier you get it in. ::)

I'm a full time student, two part time jobs, and 3 hours of volunteering/week. But this'll get me to write. ;D Plus, one of the jobs has me sitting at a computer for six hours making sure no one destroys the computer lab. ^_~

*pokes Zombie* You know you wanna. *evil grin*

Cheers,
Syka

ZombieRockStar
2006-10-06, 10:53 AM
Aw, heck! I'll do it again!

I am going to get no sleep at all during November.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2006-10-06, 11:14 AM
Well...I have been meaning to novelize certain of mine adventures. >_>;

InaVegt
2006-10-06, 12:13 PM
Can dutch people do this as well, I saw this a while ago but was put of by the national part of the name.

Bookman
2006-10-06, 12:22 PM
Can dutch people do this as well, I saw this a while ago but was put of by the national part of the name.

Linky! (http://www.nanowrimo.org/modules/xoopsfaq/index.php?cat_id=13)

It's such a big question it evidently made the FAQ! :D

Hmmmmmmmm should I do this?

Do you have to physically sign up on the website? Cause I may just do it spontaneously if I decide to get the itch.

ZombieRockStar
2006-10-06, 12:27 PM
You don't have to sign up on the website, just if you want the "official" verification that you've completed it. also if you want to use their forums, which I stayed off of last year. If you don't want to sign up, just write 50,000 words in a month. It doesn't even have to be next month.

Also, side note, should this be moved to Arts & Crafts, since it's about writing?

I think I have an idea for a collection of short stories. Whatever. I have a whole month to decide what I intend on doing.

Syka
2006-10-06, 12:38 PM
It doesn't matter where you're from. The National is a little misleading, but they didn't think InaNoWriMo was quite as catchy. ^_~

As for where it goes...Perhaps it should be moved. I wasn't entirely sure where to put this. :-/ I'll ask a Mod when I get home from work tonight.

I shall now start hoarding my Vault for Novemeber.

Cheers,
Syka

InaVegt
2006-10-06, 12:41 PM
Great, I'm going to do this.

Lilly
2006-10-06, 01:05 PM
While this is a cool subject, it should go over in arts and crafts, so that's where it is now!

InaVegt
2006-10-06, 02:28 PM
I signed up, now according to the FAQ I'm allowed to think about the plot beforehand so I'll think about that till november.

Syka
2006-10-06, 08:38 PM
Yah, I'm going to be working on characters and setting, etc this month. Hopefully I'll be ready for the novel-writing. ^_^

Good luck, y'all. Anyone got any interesting ideas, yet?

Cheers,
Syka

InaVegt
2006-10-08, 03:53 PM
I have finished my plot already, I need a title and some names, maybe I'll go creating a language in october but that's all I need to do before I can start writing.

Syka
2006-10-09, 09:54 PM
*flexes writing muscle*

Any one else tried the writing prompts yet?

Cheers,
Syka

Kyrian
2006-10-17, 12:16 PM
Writing Prompts?? I just heard about this....and I'm thinking: HELL YES IM TRYING!

InaVegt
2006-10-17, 12:27 PM
Welcome aboard Kyrian, you should ask for an avatar to let people know what you're doing

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/Dispozition/Gezwritingthing1.gif

Kyrian
2006-10-17, 12:29 PM
No thanks...I don't need an avatar for EVERY situation.

Hehe...I can use several of my most recent ideas for this...

InaVegt
2006-10-17, 12:34 PM
No thanks...I don't need an avatar for EVERY situation.Actually, you do.

Syka
2006-10-18, 01:22 PM
See, I leave this alone for a week and it spreads. ;D

D'ya know where I can get my avatar altered/made?

*points to sig* See that bar? You guys can see how my novel is coming. ^_^ Anyone want the link to it?

Cheers,
Syka

InaVegt
2006-10-18, 01:36 PM
One of the stickies in arts and crafts is request an oots style avatar, there you can ask.

Gengy
2006-10-18, 04:46 PM
...hmmmm... interesting. I've been feeling creative lately. We'll see if I decide to do this or not. Either way, good luck to those who try.

Syka
2006-10-19, 01:08 PM
*points to her beautiful new avatar* How's that for a NaNo-tar? All the thanks go to Ceika for my pretty little foxy. ;D

Now, I'm officially ready to write. Got the outline for the plot finished last night...Killed off a MC I didn't mean to...Finished naming all characters down to the ones who are in, maybe, one scene...Now all that is left is physical descriptions.

Cheers,
Syka

ZombieRockStar
2006-10-19, 06:50 PM
One of those nifty Ceikatars, I see.

Wow...all that planning. I've got a sort of plot and my two main characters, as well as a definite style I mean to write this in...but I intend to mainly wing it like I did last year.

Syka
2006-10-19, 08:31 PM
I have a good reason for the planning. I've been procrastinating on a research paper, cleaning my room, and sending in a college app. ;D Now I have no excuse to put them off.

*walks off to finish her room...or something*

Cheers,
Syka

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2006-10-20, 10:50 AM
I'm tempted to use this as an oppurtunity to novelize my extensive notes from my favorite campaign....

My only issue is that it was Forgotten Realms, so I have to worry about Continuity a heck of a lot of a bunch....even though the opening chapters, at least, are set in Vaasa and environs, which doesn't get much press F.R.-wise compared to, say, the dalelands/cormyr/the underdark.

Bow.
2006-10-20, 12:11 PM
Well, working on my placing my plot in a spreadsheet, turns out I'm letting my MC kill her bf

Alarra
2006-10-27, 12:41 PM
After much prodding, I've been convinced to do this again this year, in spite of the fact that I've no time whatsoever. We'll see how it goes.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-10-28, 04:48 AM
I wrote something of a novel a while ago, I may give this a shot.

Second thoughts, with exams and all, I may not have time.

Does it count if we just start our novel this month and do it over a few years?

InaVegt
2006-10-28, 04:53 AM
No, it doesn't count. But I shouldn't have time for it either and I'm still doing it

Athanatos
2006-10-29, 09:06 PM
Tried last year and failed. Trying again this year with a really bitchin' existentialist/magical realism character study co-written with a brilliant writer and slam poet. My hopes are high.

Bookman
2006-10-29, 09:21 PM
I had a meet up in my local area today!

I'm glad ya'll convinced me to go ahead. :D

Also for my novel does anyone have some cliche's I could borrow?

InaVegt
2006-10-30, 02:44 PM
Big mean powerfull wizard with a ring to rule all magical rings?

ampcptlogic
2006-10-30, 05:00 PM
I'm doing this too, though I haven't plotted and only have one character. I have a semblance of a setting, but generally, I'm taking advice I got from Stephen King's book On Writing. I'm just going to let it flow out and to hell with plot or theme. It will probably suck, but how good can a first time novelist be when he's trying to write 50k words in 31 days? I give myself permission to be horrible, ergo I may yet succeed.

ZombieRockStar
2006-10-30, 11:58 PM
Welcome to the world of marathon writing.

Plot? What's that?

Seriously, I'm writing in the "Literary Fiction" catagory. I am decidedly anti-plot.

Only one day left!

Syka
2006-10-31, 11:13 AM
I'm decidedly horror. For some reason though, I think my plot and characters have decided to go on strike! I've been considering just winging it. :smalleek:

But...I'll at least try and stick to it the first day. If it just won't work, I'll wipe everything and start anew.

Too bad the boards keep crashing. :( Though...I did luck out and finish a research paper a month a head of time and get it turned in today. And all my midterms just ended. :smallbiggrin:

I've got a regional-ish meeting on Saturday at a local B&N.

Good luck noveling, all. How many are staying up until midnight tonight for a little bit of an edge? I might be. ^_^

Cheers,
Syka

Bookman
2006-11-01, 12:16 AM
I has BEGUN!

Now.....what are you doing reading here?

GO WRITE!

Tormsskull
2006-11-01, 10:44 AM
Sounds like fun. I'm checking the website right now, and will probably begin writing starting tomorrow. 50k words doesn't seem like that much, but then again I have never been on a strict timeframe either. Good luck to everyone.

ZombieRockStar
2006-11-01, 03:33 PM
Stayed up late last night and got a good thousand words in under an hour.

And now, back to writing!

Ego Slayer
2006-11-01, 03:45 PM
Plot? What's that?

Seriously, I'm writing in the "Literary Fiction" catagory. I am decidedly anti-plot.

How exactly does that work? How does one write a plot-less story? O.O

I'm really, really tempted to try because there's a character back story I really wanted to do something with but have no motivation to do so. I wonder if I can make that all anti-plot.

Here's a preemptive "I give up!"

Booky's is pretty amusing so far.:smallbiggrin:

ZombieRockStar
2006-11-01, 04:10 PM
Day-in-the-life kind of thing, interior monologue, stories about people sitting and talking about nothing, highly fragmented narrative...all sorts of ways to make a story anti-plot.

*pokes Ego* Do it...do it...do it do it do it...*pokes some more*

Gah...I've discovered that I can't surf and write at the same time. Looks like I'll have to cut down a bit on my time here so I can write.

My profile, now that I have an excerpt up. (http://www.nanowrimo.org/userinfo.php?uid=83316) Warning: this particular excerpt has quite a bit of naughty language. Not over the top, but you have been warned.

ampcptlogic
2006-11-01, 04:44 PM
I'm building my plot-agnostic novel around a handful of characters (3.5 right now) and a setting that has something to do with the end of the book. For the beginning and middle of the book, I'm just throwing in what I know. It helps that I'm only slightly less in the dark about the place than the main character. I know it's structure and its behavior, but not all of the why and how. I can't plot things or railroad the characters because I'm as ill-informed as they are.

Syka
2006-11-01, 11:12 PM
After 24 hours, I have 1706 words. ^_^ And that is only with about an hour and a half of actual writing. The rest of today was sleep, class, doctor, food, homework, college apps, and the like...XD I love having a reason to finish stuff.

Cheers,
Syka

Bookman
2006-11-01, 11:33 PM
Oh noes she's behind! :tongue:

I've been working HARD :roy: I've got 2,146!

btw I've seen ya on the other forums Syka! :smile:

For Popular demand the nice little first part

As all classic stories start off this one begins the same except for this particular part which is explaining what is about to happen. All of the words to follow are totally cliché and filled with adventures. Be ready
Once upon a time there was a Halfling named Clee Shay. There isn’t anything remarkable about this Halfling. He has average eyes and average brown hair and average 3 foot height in fact he’s like any other Halfling other then…….well you’ll see.
Clee’s bare feet hit the squishy mud after jumping out of the cart and then realizing it wasn’t exactly mud and he exclaimed “GODS CURSE IT!” he trudged over to the inn after yet another adventure involving a princess, a kidnapping and a horrible monster.
“I’m sick and tired of these random adventures! Damn gods…….”
Perhaps I should explain more about why Clee here is angry. Well in the beginning the Gods were bored so they made the world. Sorry folks that’s the way it is and no way to avoid it! We are the source of boredom! Now after noticing a couple of things show up in the world over and over they decided to play a small “joke” on the world. They were going to make a few people in the world follow all the stereotypes. Cause well frankly they needed more amusement and this was a great place to start! Giggling at a person cursed with all the classics made them laugh! Now while attempting to create this creature they discovered they couldn’t stick all of them in one person so they divided them into many individuals all with the power to shape the world. Boy are the gods going to regret this one. But I’m getting ahead of myself. On with the story!
Walking into the tavern Clee snagged a purse off the nearest person as well as their rings, belt, hat, underwear, knife and socks. He stepped up to the bar and said “Gimme some ale!”
Grumpily the bartender says “You some kind of THEIF boy?”
“Why whatever would give you THAT idea kind sir?: Clee asked innocently while proceeding to swipe all the bar’s peanuts and the bartenders left nose hairs.
“Well I’ve heard plenty ‘bout YER type and ya’ll taint be trusted”
Clee sighed to himself and thought It’s begun already. He’s slipping into the country accent and questioning me. Any second now—
A man tapped Clee and says “I have a proposition. Follow me” and bending closer he whispers “Or else I’ll tell the Bartender about that parrot in your pocket”
Flustered Clee put the parrot back inconspicuously and followed the man to the back room and the darkest room and sat at the small oak table with a candle flickering on it. An odd serious look came across his normal jocular features even in the face of danger and says “What do you want? I refuse to go save yet ANOTHER princess for at LEAST another month!”
The man pulled back his hood revealing his old features “Oh no this is an entirely different proposition. One that may CHANGE YOUR LIFE”
Clee yawned and said “PSHhhhh as if I haven’t heard THAT 15 times in the past year”
He begins to get up until the old man puts out his arm and says “Wait…..let me say one thing. How badly do you want shoes?”
Clee slowly sat down his eyes aglow but with a suspicious look on his face and says “What are you getting at old man? That’s a mighty large claim from someone like you. I’m a Halfling I don’t need shoes! My feet are large enough to take care of that themselves.”
The old man nodded wisely and said “I know they are but you know and I know that you would rather wear shoes. In fact you’ve tried but they seem to fall apart no matter how well made they are. What would you say if there was a way to fix all of this and stop living a cliché?”
Clee’s mouth opened and said “How did you-”
The man cut him off swiftly “It matters not how I knew. Just know that I can help you. But first…..you have to help me with a little task. I would offer my services immediately but you know your ‘ability’ prevents me so I must ask you to go on a quest. All I need you to do is to go retrieve a small artifact from a dragon and then I’ll give you your hearts desire to finally be normal and free to do as you wish.”
“A DRAGON?! Are you INSANE man? That’s a SUICIDE MISSION! Dragons are the most fearsome creatures ALIVE. Even with my countless adventures (gods curse them) I stay away from dragons! There isn’t a man alive who’s lived after encountering a dragon!” Clee’s eyes grew sad and angry during this diatribe. “Well…..except the great herons of the last century but they’re all bloody GONE. People run to the cellars when they hear so much as a whisper of wing beats on the horizon!”
The old man calmingly put a hand on Clee’s small shoulder and said “Calm down m’boy. There are ways! Where do you think the great heroes came from in the beginning? They came from normal men like you and I who had the VISION to be great. You have that vision. You can DO this. Look in yourself. Have you ever been wounded? Have you ever stopped an impossible stroke? You may not realize it but the wandering minstrels already sing songs of the great Clee Shay and his adventures! You have the power.” He leaned closer and whispered “and imagine the TREASURE”
Clee’s fingers started twitching and he said “Ok you have a deal old man. Give me the details”
The man rose and said “Go to the Baker’s Hill outside of town tomorrow morning at dawn. I have others I need to talk to the others but be assured that they will be others like you” and with that he disappeared in a puff of smoke.
“Well” Clee said, “Well, well, well this is an interesting turn of events.” Noticing something else he said well again like this “Well. WELL. WELL!!!!!” and this time not because he was pondering things but because the puff of smoke had accidentally lit his trousers on fire

And you steal it you end up killified. Right Thog? :thog: thog help smash puny scam artists!

Lucky
2006-11-02, 12:28 AM
I have been nagged to post it, because apparently it's better than I think it is. So here's what I have so far...
__________________________________________________ ____

It was a dark and stormy night… Ha! Got you! Alright alright! Sorry! Let me start again… It was a bright and cheerful morning, the sun was out, the birds were singing, and our hero was walking down the street to his office. Now, when I say hero, I mean desk slave. Joseph worked at an insurance company, working at a desk from 9-5 everyday. Don’t worry, he’ll be a hero soon though, just stay tuned.
Anyways, Joseph was walking to work along the dusty sidewalk. “Oh! Dusty sidewalk! Haven’t heard that one before…” Shut up Joseph, I can make it a dusty lava stream, I am telling the story. “Fine, fine, can I go to work yet?” Yes, just don’t interrupt. Anyways, Joseph was walking to work, when suddenly- “Uh-oh…” Shut it! Anyways… when suddenly… he arrived at the building. Spoooky! “You have to be kidding me? That’s all you got? Who’s writing this damn story?” I don’t know, I’m just reading this script, now stop interrupting me and let me read the story! Just keep acting your part! “Yes mother!” … That’s it! Alright, so Joseph arrives at the building, looking towards the ground and painfully walks into the door. “DAMNIT!” Stupid Joseph, he should of looked where he was going. “Hey! I’ll get you for this!” Yeah, come try it. ANYWAYS, Joseph walked into the office building and waited for the elevator. Then he waited some more, and some more, stupid Joseph, you have to press the button. “I would if you’d let me!” Unimportant. “Like this story is important, the only damn point is to get up to 50,000 words, how important can that be?” Clearly it’s important to someone, now which wall do you want to walk into next? “Fine!”
So Joseph pressed the button on the elevator and waited until it showed up. He stepped inside and the elevator began its ascent to the 13th floor. “13th? You have to be joking…” Joseph stepped out the elevator and headed to his cramped cubicle, bashing his head against its glass ceiling. “Ow! Who put that there?” Exactly, poor Joseph. After rubbing his head he sat down at his desk and began to do whatever insurance people do, you know, stuff. Though honestly, does anyone even know what they do? I mean besides line their bathtubs with cash.
Joseph came to work everyday and did the same routine, boring old Joseph, he really needs a girl. Too bad. He would come to work, go to the bathroom at exactly 10:15 and 3:72. “3:72? What the heck is 3:72?” Fine, whatever, 3:28, happy? It’s not my fault, we’re in a rush to finish by November 31st. “…” What? Oh… right. Well, Joseph lived a boring life, maybe even a very boring life, or even a very, very, very boring life. You can judge for yourself. Just to spice things up, he’ll break into a musical number for you. “What? No!” “Hey, look over there? Is that a spiky wall? “Oh fine…” Well, what are you waiting for? Sing! ”What do I sing?” How about the opening from Jesus Christ Superstar? You have to be joking…” Oh spiky wall! We have someone who wants to run into you! “Fine fine…

My mind is clearer now
At last, all too well
I can see
Where we all
soon will be
If you strip away
The myth from the man
You will see
Where we all
soon will be...”

Alright, good enough, you’re a terrible singer. So, back to the normal boring Joseph. Normal boring Joseph was just that, normal and boring. He lived in a boring apartment, ate boring food, and watched boring TV shows. “Lost is not boring!” Right… Course not.

And when I said "nagged" to post it, I meant told once I easily gave in. Same thing.

ampcptlogic
2006-11-02, 12:59 AM
2500+ on the first day! Woot! The story has already done a number of things I didn't foresee.

Renegade Paladin
2006-11-02, 01:29 AM
I've been working on two novels on and off for over a year; I could never do one in a month. :p But I took today and wrote a new chapter for one of them, just in the spirit of the occasion. Hell, I might go and post one of them here.

ampcptlogic
2006-11-02, 09:23 AM
Keep going, Ren_Pal. It's never too late to sign up.

Rama_Lei
2006-11-02, 08:09 PM
Slaving away, and only 300-something words. Considering I'm flying by the seat of my pants, I'm happy.
_____________________________-
A single drop of sweat fell to the ground, the only thing that moved. Kirthnor stood stock still along with everyone else. As one of the older paladins, he was accustomed to more dangerous missions. But this? Leading a small party of adventurers to sneak into a goblin war camp while the main army charged, while remaining unseen, rescue a princess, slay the goblin king, and open the gates? Orders were orders though.
“Alright, Alnis, any spells you can spare?” he whispered.
“I have a few scrolls of Cat’s Grace sir.” replied the shy young sorceress.
“Cast them” he replied. Alnis was alright in his book. For an elf that was. She retained her elven charm and looks, and still seemed earthly, mostly because of her constant tripping. A small light flew from her hands and she began top cast them .They had the decency to remain silent with the exception of one.
“Acch lassie, watch where ye’ be touchin, ye elf hussy!” growled Fornath, the dwarf. Hot-tempered, violent, and generally unpleasant, it was clear he was selected because of his tracking skills, not for his charm. They managed this far with little racism, but as they say “Hiding dwarven hated for elves is like hiding the Tarrasque. Impossible.
“Calm yourself, friend” implored a small voice to his right,”Hate the elves later, hate the goblins for now.” whispered Gallan Shadow, the cleric. Amongst the muffled muttering and interracial conflicts, an own flew silently overhead. To the ordinary eye, it was an average midnight occurrence. But Kirthnor knew better, he looked up, and sure enough, silently speaking with the owl, was Elontris, the killoren druid. By some sixth sense, the druid turned to him and spoke,
“The south wall is the weakest. Three guards, from the look of it, archers. They are alone, the rest are assaulting the main army. If you wish to minimize casualties, I suggest distracting them, then subduing them.” she said softly, and quickly, in a voice so cold, it sent a shiver down his spine.
Very well than,” he replied authoritatively. ”Here’s the plan.”

Ego Slayer
2006-11-02, 11:13 PM
Rama, good job.
... Certainly more than I.

BTW, Zombie, when I said "20 in each ability" I typo'd and meant 40. So, yes I'm technically writing about a Demi-lesser Goddess.

ZombieRockStar
2006-11-03, 08:47 AM
20...40...the point was taken.

I don't actually think I'm gonna get it done this year...but I think I'll be happy to get a good chunk of it done and then maybe finish it over the Christmas break when I don't have to worry about all these essays and exams.

I've been writing poetry mostly lately...it feels a bit weird getting back into a prose mood.

Dib
2006-11-03, 09:14 AM
damn it! Why do I never see these things until its too late!

I'll just be on a late start with no planning then... oh well...

Syka
2006-11-03, 02:43 PM
Dib, plenty of people are in the same situation. ^_^

Has anyone else found they can pretty much only write at a certain time?

Night is mine...but then again, I am writing horror so...^_~

Cheers,
Syka

InaVegt
2006-11-03, 03:26 PM
I'm never going to make it, I've only gotten about 500 words so far and the 3rd day is coming to an end :frown:

Ego Slayer
2006-11-03, 03:26 PM
Has anyone else found they can pretty much only write at a certain time?

Night. Less distractions. No younger brother or parents to bug me. Of course I need to log-off the boards and put an away message up on AIM to actually get anything done. I lost a word war, btw.:smallannoyed:

^: Gez, I'm not far either..

Dib
2006-11-04, 01:52 PM
Would it help if I turned off my playlist? I've got about 349 words so far as the entire intro...

Are there any good places I can put it up? Or would it be easier to just post it on a new thread here? I've gotten past the first K now...

hehe... nevermind, just signed up to the NaNoWriMo site... http://www.nanowrimo.org/userinfo.php?uid=176918

ZombieRockStar
2006-11-05, 07:48 PM
I write whenever, but usually at night, whenever I'm not too tired.

Crap, I'm getting pretty behind. Lack of time and the fact that I'm just not in a noveling mood combine to make a loss of energy. I'm writing, but just not my novel. Mostly poetry.

Maybe I should switch and try to write 50,000 words of poetry this month instead.

Syka
2006-11-05, 09:34 PM
There was something I heard of, I think it was on the New Jersey::Elsewhere forum where some people are doing a poem each day in November. :) Maybe that'll work for you?

I'm just barely keeping my wordcount where it needs to be...XD

Cheers,
Syka

TamerBill
2006-11-06, 01:10 PM
I just started this this evening. Current word total: 480. Almost a whole percent! Whoo!

Tormsskull
2006-11-06, 03:48 PM
Here's mine so far if anyone wants to check it out.

Unnamed work as of yet (http://www.faerunmud.com/~mike/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3&sid=20234d7803af9aac97c615baa3b9fff9)

Hey, how do I get one of those cool NaNoWriMo Widgets for my sig here? I tried to get one through the website and it asks for a uid, was that something they sent to me in an e-mail? I can't seem to find it on my profile.

Syka
2006-11-06, 05:29 PM
When you click to see your profile on the NaNo site (NOT EDITTING YOUR PROFILE), there should be a short string of numbers at the end. Mine was 6 digits, so yours is probably around there. Plug those numbers in, and it'll hook up to your word count.

I got this particular one from http://pinkness.freepgs.com/nanowrimo The coding is shorter so it'll fit easier into a signature with character limits. It also has directions for getting it, I think.

Cheers,
Syka...Who loves her counter...

Tormsskull
2006-11-07, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the help Syka. I tried the different ones on the NaNoWriMo site but don't want to work. The one you pointed me to is working so I'm using it as well, I hope you don't mind.

Syka
2006-11-07, 11:18 AM
Not a problem at all.

Cheers,
Syka

Dib
2006-11-07, 02:33 PM
Anyone else feel like they won't make the 50,000 by the 30th? I'm pretty sure I won't... I haven't even gotten to 2,000 yet...

ZombieRockStar
2006-11-07, 06:47 PM
Yeah...I'm gonna have to drop out of this. I didn't have half as much to do last year.

I actually got a good start with 5,000 words before I decided to try a different idea. That's my problem, I keep jumping to different ideas.

Syka
2006-11-07, 10:30 PM
Aww. :smallfrown: Well, good luck with the other stuff you have to do. Perhaps next year...

Cheers,
Syka...Who still needs to catch up from her slack day yesterday...

InaVegt
2006-11-08, 03:57 AM
I'm going to drop out as well, I just haven't been in the mood to write in the entire november.

Blinkbear
2006-11-13, 06:19 PM
You got me intrigued... Probably I will also sign up :-) (tomorrow)

Unsure if I am able to make it since i have HELLOFALOT stuff do right now, but I will try. Although I have to say that I will write in German. At least I think so atm. My english is not half as good as my german...

Syka
2006-11-13, 06:43 PM
You can write in whatever language you feel like. Heck, someone could probably write in Latin or Klingon if they wanted. (Though, I'm not sure why someone would write a novel in latin...It would be an interesting indendant project for me though...:smallamused: ).

Anywho, let it be known I hit EXACTLY 18,000 words. And it isn't part of a sentence, either, it's the end of a sentence. I just thought that was an amusing conincident. ^^

Cheers,
Syka...Who converted another person!

Blinkbear
2006-11-13, 06:56 PM
Congratulations :D

Well, I think I will try to write it in English, so that you guys can give me feedback. ;-) Although I am not sure if I really WANT feedback on this, since it will be full of mistakes and bad grammar... But still, it is a try worth.

I will start writing tomorrow night, in about 20 hours probably. Maybe I dream of a good beginning for my story.

/ Blinkbear

Syka
2006-11-13, 07:27 PM
I buddied you. ^_^

And don't worry about quality either. I've got a couple people wanting to read mine once I'm done and I've warned them about the terrible quality. Quantity not quality is for once the guiding light. :smallwink:

Cheers,
Syka

Blinkbear
2006-11-14, 06:27 PM
Yay, I just wrote my first 1000 words. only 49000 to come :D

Well let's see if I can still make it...

Blinkbear, who will not give up.

Edit: Ah, and talking about incedents: I just have continued to write and updated my wordcount via a txt-file. I have written 1871 words. Which is the year, where the first german nation was founded. And I am from germany :D So: 1871 words on the first day. I have to raise my words per day to make it till the 30th november, obviously. But all beginnings are difficult. Btw.: I also added a small exerpt from inmidst the text to the NaNoWriMo-Site, so you can browse into my novel-in-spe.

ampcptlogic
2006-11-16, 08:57 PM
Keep going, Blinkbear. I've been writing about 2300 words a day on average. I've written just over 36000 since the 1st. You've still got plenty of time to come from behind and win!

Syka
2006-11-26, 10:35 AM
Ok guys, five days left. Where stand ye? Regardless of where you are at, if you neglect your social life, work, school, and sleep, you can make it. ;)

You can do it!

Cheers,
Syka

Blinkbear
2006-11-26, 11:16 AM
I have to say that I have no chance to finish it :( Real life hit me with too much stuff to concentrate on... Congrats to you, I see you are near the end ;)

InaVegt
2006-11-26, 12:29 PM
With jmy 512 words, no I don't think I'm going to make it.

Ego Slayer
2006-11-26, 12:54 PM
With my 300 something words I'M not going to make it. I didn't have time or motivation to actually write anything but it definitely got me thinking and opened a few doors.

Syka
2006-11-26, 05:47 PM
Well, at least you guys wrote. :smallbiggrin:

My personal motivation was someone who...uh...is not on my happy list and went off that list only a week into NaNo. I almost dropped it because of stress, and then I realized it's the best revenge to succeed in the face of adversity. :smallyuk: Thank you, unnamed-person-not-on-my-happy list.

Cheers,
Syka...Who is shocked she might actually finish early...

Syka
2006-11-26, 10:54 PM
I made it. I got the Purple Bar and the Certificate and the little sig that says...I AM A WINNER! :smallbiggrin: Somehow I pushed out 7k today to get 50002 words. I kid you not, 2 words over. --' I just had to share.

Cheers,
Syka

Ego Slayer
2006-11-26, 10:56 PM
Syka, you win indeed! Congrats, *bow*, cookies...whatever you want. Well done! :smallbiggrin:

ampcptlogic
2006-11-26, 11:08 PM
I'm very very close.

Bookman
2006-11-26, 11:38 PM
I made it. I got the Purple Bar and the Certificate and the little sig that says...I AM A WINNER! :smallbiggrin: Somehow I pushed out 7k today to get 50002 words. I kid you not, 2 words over. --' I just had to share.

Cheers,
Syka

YAY GO YOU!

I unfortunatly failed

Tormsskull
2006-11-27, 12:52 AM
I have a long way to go, but not sweating it. Tomorrow is an off day for me, and I'm going to whip out a lot of words. Congrats on winning Syka.

Amotis
2006-11-27, 12:38 PM
Man, I tried this last year and almost died. This year I passed cause of too much school work but I promise I'll win this some time in my life...