PDA

View Full Version : Attention: Dog Loving People in Indianapolis Area (Warning: Text Avalanche)

Krade
2008-08-10, 01:28 AM
So here goes:

My Brother just got back from Iraq last week. Two days ago his wife had a baby. Within the next week they are going to California where he is stationed. Everything is fine and dandy except for one thing: the dog. Since they brought the baby home, his wife (who would have gone crazy without this dog while my brother was in Iraq) has decided that it probably isn't a good idea to have him around the baby because he is (to put it lightly) a bit of a spaz. Probably wouldn't do anything to purposefully hurt the baby, but the risk of him doing it accidently is a bit too much for her.

So I have this idea that I put the word out here that they need someone to adopt the dog. Preferably before they leave. I know the likelyhood is pretty slim of anyone wanting a 1-year-old pitbull who is basically scared to death of anything not female. He is also terribly wary of dark colors around the face (including: copius facial hair, dark hoods, dark hair, and black people). We have no idea where this particular tendency came from, and honestly, it is pretty annoying. He barks at anything he can see out the window and anytime he hears a noice he can't immediately place (low burps, accidental knocks on the wall, etc.), he runs to the door and barks. He'll bark at people knocking on/coming through door (mostly if he doesn't know them or didn't see who it was through the window).

All in all though, he is a pretty big baby. A mama's boy through and through. It's true that a scared dog is dangerous dog, but he is usually so scared that he's looped around to the other end of the spectrum of dangerousness. I'm talking borderline submissive wetter here. I'm not even that scary and he's piddled on the floor when I got pissed at him a couple times. Basically, what he needs is a LOT of loving attention. He is also a chewer. He's mostly gotten over it in the past couple months, but anytime he's lonely (it only takes a few minutes for him to get lonely), he tends to act out by chewing up whatever he can (he also really likes paper and books for some reason), so pretty much anytime you are asleep or away, he needs to be in his cage.

Again, I know it's VERY unlikely anyone will want him, but it never hurts to ask.

BizzaroStormy
2008-08-10, 04:34 AM
I guess one good question to ask would be if whether or not he's had his shots.

xPANCAKEx
2008-08-10, 06:47 AM
most of those behavioral problems can be trained out of him with the help of decent dog handler (anyone from the uk will be aware of dog borstal) - but be careful when posting up any adverts on websites like craigslist or similer. Being a pitbull, someone migbht adopt him then put him into dog fights, so make sure you check out the prospective owners house for suitability before you do (obvious things such as tredmill, odd looking training equipment or a drained out pool with lots of bloodstains would be a dead giveaway)

Krade
2008-08-10, 07:14 PM
Yes, he has had all of his shots. And at the immediate moment, they are not sure if they really want to give him up yet. My brothers wife is a little wishy-washy like (of course, she did just have a baby, so that could have something to do with it).

Edit @\/: Huh... you'd think that I would've remembered that little detail. Anyway, yes, he has been neutered. Got the funny lampshade and everything.

TheThan
2008-08-10, 07:34 PM
Aside from dogfights, some use pitbulls and the like as guard dogs while they do criminal activity (like make/grow drugs). These dogs are abused and “trained” to attack people, particularly law enforcement personnel.

Basically just check them out a little, if something seems wrong it probably is. If their place looks like it’s a place you wouldn’t want to live in, it’s a good bet you don’t want a pet living there too.

Also has he been neutered? That might make a difference to some.

(Don’t live anywhere near there, just thought I’d ask since it entered my mind.)