PDA

View Full Version : The Earl's Homebrew

Earl of Purple
2008-08-10, 09:11 AM
OK, I have a large imagination but no 3, 3.5 or 4e rulebooks. I am also useless with numbers, but never mind. Please leave polite comments and tell me your honest opinions.

Earl of Purple
2008-08-10, 10:51 AM
This will be my first homebrew, and it is an alternative for cats. Rather than being dumb animals, maybe that's just a cover and they really bred humans for menial labour to support their desert empire.

Cat
Tiny Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 1/4 d10 (2 hp) or by character class
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30ft (6 squares)
Armour Class:14 (+2 size, +2 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple:+0/-12
Attack: Claw +4 melee (1d2-4)
Full Attack: 2 claws +4 melee (1d2-4) and bite -1 melee (1d3-4)
Space/Reach:2-1/2ft. /0ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Darkvision, low-light vision, scent,
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 10
Skills: Balance +10, Climb +6, Hide +16 (+8 in long grass), Jump +10, Move Silently +3, Spot +3
Feats: Stealthy, Weapon FinesseB
Environment: Any
Organisation: Solitary, council (5-9)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: Collar, no other
Alignment: Usually Lawful
Advancement: As character class (wizard/sorceror)
Level Adjustment: -

Cats speak Common, Feline and one of any other language, depending on their 'owner' and can talk to animals constantly.
Long ago, cats ruled an empire in the desert and bred humans as slaves. The slaves rebelled, and forgot. The cats, however, remember.

Spell-like abilities as lvl 5 sorc: At will- Dominate Monster (humanoid, monsterous humanoid only), Charm Person, Silent Image. 3/day- Ghost Sound, Suggestion. 1/day- Invisibility

Combat: Cats prefer to flee than fight, but will, if forced to fight, try to Charm or Dominate any fighters or weak-willed looking people and use them to kill the rest. Any survivors will then be surrounded by a Silent Image of a Forcecage whilst a telepathic message is sent via collar to the High Council to send an experienced humanoid-killer.

Would somebody mind telling me what they think a fair CR is? I have no practical experience of the game so I don't know what would be fair. I am also really bad at maths and numbers in general. I am working on the abilities of a cat's collar.

expirement10K14
2008-08-10, 11:30 AM
CR 2-3.

Spell-Like Abilities should go under special attacks, not qualities.

Earl of Purple
2008-08-10, 02:12 PM
Ok. Thank you for the pointer-type thing. I have implemented the changes and thank you for the CR.

Earl of Purple
2008-08-13, 07:35 AM
The collar:

The collar of a cat takes up the necklace slot.
If it is worn by a cat, it grants the following: telepathy with the Cat High Council, immunity to mind-affecting spells/spell-like abilities, and a continuous Detect Thoughts with the ability to filter out useless thoughts (such as 'I need the toilet'). If a collar is worn by a non-cat, the wearer's identity is supressed and the Cat High Council, or a cat chosen by the High Council, gains complete control over the person wearing it (Will save required when it is put on, if passed the wearer fends off the mental control and removes the collar, usually ripping it off). The Council then decides what should be done with the wearer and they either become a slave and walk to a mine, forge, etc, or, if there are other people in the room then the wearer is ordered to kill them, or if the Council decide that they don't need another slave then the collar will magically tighten, dealing 1d6 lethal damage per round until the wearer is dead. In order to prevent the cats ordering the wearer to do something the wearer doesn't want to do then take another Will save with +1 on the roll. The wearer may also choose to take a Will save in order to throw off control whenever they want, but -1 to the roll for every hour the collar is worn as the wearer's personality is absorbed and destroyed.

In order to create a collar, the creator must: have the Create Wondrous Item feat, CL 9th, must be under the control of a cat, able to cast Animate Objects, Sending and Dominate Monster. It requires a small disc of solid gold and some silk, costing altogether 100gp.