PDA

View Full Version : It's your turn! (forum feature request)

Lord Herman
2008-08-10, 09:44 AM
I know we've got all kinds of bandwith trouble and stuff, but I was thinking about a forum feature that would be very nifty to have. I don't know if it's practical, or even possible, but here's what I had in mind.

Basically, it'd be an automatic notifier for people that it's their turn to do something in a game they're participating in (either a PbP or a Stuctured SMBG). The GM or game host would set up this game and put the people who are playing on a list. Then, when it's someone's turn, the GM could just tick a box on the list, and that person would get a notifier (maybe a message at the top of the forum screen) that it's their turn to do something. They can then dismiss the notifier, and do whatever it is they're supposed to do. It could also work with games like Team RAF where every player has to submit an action - the game host could simply tick all the boxes on his list.

So in essence, this feature would automate all those reminder PMs and stuffs game hosts and GMs have to send, and players wouldn't have to check game threads all the time to see if it's their turn yet.

Serpentine
2008-08-10, 09:49 AM
I'd prefer to get the polls back =/

...but then, I don't play any of those games <.<

Mordokai
2008-08-10, 11:15 AM
It would lessen the autolynch ratio in WW a lot, me thinks. So yeah, I support this.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-10, 11:18 AM
Quick Post would be awesome... and maybe polls... although I didn't ever make one they were awesome.

And...

MEMBERS LIST! :smallcool:

Ego Slayer
2008-08-10, 11:25 AM
Don't think this is a "what features you want back" thread, guys. :P

Anyway, Herman, I don't know how the addition of features works, but I thought it was a lot of work (more than it's worth?) to add a feature that's not already default to vBulletin. :smallconfused: And wouldn't something so... specific have to be created, because I don't think something like that already exists?

Pyro
2008-08-10, 03:27 PM
Quick Post would be awesome... and maybe polls... although I didn't ever make one they were awesome.

And...

MEMBERS LIST! :smallcool:

What's quick post?

Jack Squat
2008-08-10, 04:44 PM
Quick post is a little box at the bottom of the posts. It's essentailly feature bare (as opposed to all the buttons listed in the normal reply box) but lets you post a reply without opening a new window.

DraPrime
2008-08-10, 05:15 PM
Eh. This doesn't really sound like something the entire forum can use. Only something that the people who do PbP games will enjoy this.

Rawhide
2008-08-10, 05:53 PM
Are you going to program, test and release this modification? Even then it would be a (very) long shot, but until then it really has no chance. Sorry.

As mentioned, only a select few will be able to use it and those areas are by far not the main focus of the forums. We have many other things that are much more important/beneficial.

---

Polls, as I have said before, are not going to come back.

---

This isn't a feature request thread and please don't create one. I know you all have your individual pet features you would like to see returned, but individual requests like this are not going to influence our decisions. We're going to look at all the features that are going to be most useful for everyone and weigh them against the impact enabling them will have.

Admiral_Kelly
2008-08-10, 06:26 PM
Polls, as I have said before, are not going to come back.And for those of you who like polls, try using this website (http://www.99polls.com/).

Rawhide
2008-08-10, 06:48 PM
And for those of you who like polls, try using this website (http://www.99polls.com/).

Or, for those of you who need a poll for something specific. You can request a moderator to set one up. Don't expect them to create you a poll for favourite brand of shoe, but they will consider more formal/important requests.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-08-10, 07:08 PM
If you want to be notified when a thread is updated, subscribe to the thread and choose the "Instant Email Notification" option. For best effect, use a browser plugin that will instantly alert you when you receive email (for example, the Firefox Gmail notifier add-on.) This will let you know every time there's a post, but not specifically when it's your turn, however, I think you can probably figure it out.

Lord Herman
2008-08-11, 02:34 AM
Are you going to program, test and release this modification? Even then it would be a (very) long shot, but until then it really has no chance. Sorry.

As mentioned, only a select few will be able to use it and those areas are by far not the main focus of the forums. We have many other things that are much more important/beneficial.

Aww :smallfrown:

And for those of you who like polls, try using this website.

Hey, that's quite nifty. I could use that for the polls of the ...in the Playground contests, if only I could find a way to make sure only playgrounders could vote.

RTGoodman
2008-08-11, 04:56 PM
It's not exactly what you want, but it seems like your original idea could be accomplished by just subscribing to the thread and then having one person (DM, probably) send people PMs.

pingcode20
2008-08-15, 06:45 AM
That's pretty much what Lord Herman's been doing - he was just wondering if it would be possible to get a more streamlined version.

Unfortunately, the answer was no, so we'll just have to make do with the old-fashioned way.