PDA

View Full Version : Viking/Folk Metal in the playground

zeratul
2008-08-10, 01:33 PM
so I've noticed quite a few fans of viking and folk metal round these parts, so what are some of yours favorite bands and songs and such. Been to any good folkmetal gigs?

My favorite bands of those genres are probably Ensiferum, Eluveitie, Tyr, Turisas, Amon Amarth, Enslaved, Korpiklaani, Moonsorrow, Fintroll, and Primordial.

I saw Ensiferum, Tyr, Turisas, and Eluveitie at paganfest earlier this year. It was the best concert I've ever been to :smallbiggrin:.

Whoracle
2008-08-10, 01:52 PM
While I deem most Folk/Pagan metal clones of each other, you pretty much listed the original ones.

I for one listen to Finntroll, Ensiferum, Primordial and SuiDakrA, as well as Eluveitie.
And yes, Paganfest was cool.

Spiryt
2008-08-10, 01:56 PM
Elvenking has few good tracks, although mainly those with a lot acustic parts.

EDIT: Also, in Extremo.

Decoy Lockbox
2008-08-10, 07:44 PM
I missed paganfest this year, but I am going to see Finntroll for the second time (along with Warbringer) two fridays from now.

Jayngfet
2008-08-10, 07:52 PM
I like Tyr and Manowar, I'd listen to the others but I won't have working speakers for a while.

And manowar is better if you ignore the arrogance.

Black_Rat
2008-08-10, 08:03 PM
Yeah, Finntroll is one of my faves too. I'd suggest checking out bands called Metsatöll and Cruachan too. The first one is estonian Folk-metal band the other is celtic-folk.

And I find it quite fun to notice that at least half of the bands named by the OP are finnish bands :smallbiggrin:. It seems the good folk metal comes from here :smallwink:

Vael Nir
2008-08-10, 08:07 PM
You're missing Schandmaul on that list. Great folk metal band, they do a lot of fairy-tale stuff. They do sing in german, but it's not like you understand what Finntroll are singing either. :p

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-08-10, 08:46 PM
I listen to Amon Amarth, but that's pretty much it.

DraPrime
2008-08-11, 12:33 PM
Oh dear. It appears that every single sub-genre of heavy metal is going to get its own thread. Shouldn't we just resurrect the metal discussion thread?

Jayngfet
2008-08-11, 12:46 PM
Not until we get a funk metal page.

valadil
2008-08-11, 01:13 PM
I love Tuatha de Danaan and some Falkenbach, but why does folk metal have to have growling vocals? Makes sense for viking metal, but I'd expect folk metal to be a bit calmer.

DraPrime
2008-08-11, 01:46 PM
Not until we get a funk metal page.

What about groove metal?

Spiryt
2008-08-11, 02:02 PM
What about groove metal?

Christian Black Metal (http://www.abdijah.prv.pl/)?

Dragonprime can read it, and for the rest...

Well, let's just say that dude, in standard Black Metal Speech (TM) is talking about propagation of Christ Learning and Holy Word, beacuse there is nothing more magnificent than God, and in the end The Angel of Death will some to burn the inferior seed.

zeratul
2008-08-11, 03:21 PM

Well, let's just say that dude, in standard Black Metal Speech (TM) is talking about propagation of Christ Learning and Holy Word, beacuse there is nothing more magnificent than God, and in the end The Angel of Death will some to burn the inferior seed.

I'd say we should avoid religious topics probably. I will say however that there's some pretty awesome UnBlack metal. Antestor's the one I've heard the most of.

Karaswanton
2008-08-11, 03:25 PM
Manowar isn't Folk Metal.

Also, Otyg.

Spiryt
2008-08-11, 03:27 PM
I'd say we should avoid religious topics probably. I will say however that there's some pretty awesome UnBlack metal. Antestor's the one I've heard the most of.

I posted it manly for amusement, as this guy's text is rather amusing. Although indeed, there are like 6-8 people able to read that on this forum, so that's not universaly amusing.:smallamused:

zeratul
2008-08-11, 03:28 PM
I love Tuatha de Danaan and some Falkenbach, but why does folk metal have to have growling vocals? Makes sense for viking metal, but I'd expect folk metal to be a bit calmer.

There are folkmetal bands without screaming, such as Korpiklaani, many turisas songs, some Ensiferum songs, some Eluveitie songs, and probably some other bands that I'm forgetting.

mikeejimbo
2008-08-11, 03:36 PM
I hear that Metal most closely resembles Viking singing in general.

DraPrime
2008-08-11, 07:10 PM

Oh wow. It's things like these that make me love being Polish. I now have to check this band out, because it's too interesting to resist, even though I hate black metal.