PDA

View Full Version : Expedition to Castle Ravenloft Conclusion (Or lack thereof)

Phantom.exe
2008-08-10, 02:09 PM
Okay, I procrastinated long enough!

Let's skip the chase scene: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft is a GREAT book, but it doesn't have an ending. There are mentions and references toward a section, but they don't exist.

There is no ending.

My final session for the campaign is on Wednesday the 13th. I need to finish it up. Now.

Now, I can't find the original Ravenloft anywhere, or I would just use that - so does anyone have any theories on how to end it?

Right now, my options are something along the lines of what was described to me by an old vet of the original AD&D module: "Ireena turns into a ghost, Sergei takes her away, and Strahd died. Castle Ravenloft fades away."

That's all I have right now.

Crow
2008-08-10, 03:03 PM
Matthew? You could try PMing him about this.

Phantom.exe
2008-08-10, 03:06 PM
What? Who's Matthew?

bosssmiley
2008-08-10, 04:52 PM
Sorry Expedition to Castle Ravenloft was such a busted flush for you. The original (and the setting derived from it) were mini masterpieces.

What? Who's Matthew?

Matthew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=14983). He's probably the gaming (d20 & General) forums current 1E 'go to guy'. Nice bloke, full of useful information.

Project_Mayhem
2008-08-10, 05:25 PM
Oooh, oooh, I noticed this too. I must say I was frustrated.

expirement10K14
2008-08-10, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I am going to try and come up with something epic for my group.

That is the only downside to it all. My DM had us wakeup outside the sunless citadel, which we had cleared 15 or so sessions ago, but with all are stuff the same as when we defeated Strahd, as if it was our nightmares brought to life on some foreign plane.

cliffiepizza
2008-08-10, 06:00 PM
ya, i need an ending too, i just started Expedition to Ravenloft with my group. i was thinking of just having strahd die and the group leave the castle.

Phantom.exe
2008-08-10, 09:14 PM
That's all pretty helpful. Any other ideas? Anyone know why the book doesn't actually have an ending?

cliffiepizza
2008-08-10, 10:23 PM
maybe they wanted you to end the story how you see fit and how it would work well with your campaign

The New Bruceski
2008-08-11, 12:52 AM
"Lying in his crypt Strahd no longer exudes the power he showed against you so recently. At best he appears as a frail old man, too long in this existence. Instead of holding off death he now does nothing but wait.

For all the suffering and torment to reach this point, the deed is surprisingly easy. There is no fight in the man as you drive in the stake. There is barely any reaction at all, it is as if piercing a leaf instead of a heart. The slightest sigh escapes the monster's lips as his tortured soul leaves him, otherwise the crypt remains still; the castle does not mourn his passage."

Further flavor could depend on how you're presenting the adventure. I would probably describe the intangibles; how it feels like a weight has been lifted off the land, the fog has lost its menace and the shadows no longer hide danger in every corner. Then there's the denoument, the afterstory.

If the players needed to take control of the land away from Strahd you could either have a ceremony passing control to Ireena, or one of the players could keep the powers and take on the responsibility of protecting Ravenloft against anything trying to take the void just created -- a great jumping-point for further adventures. Those attempts could come from the Hags or the werewolves if the players have not disposed of them.

--If Madam Eva has died the Vistani may simply disperse into the mists, or they may plan revenge. If not then she will likely be ecstatic that the Fortunes have followed their course.
--The people of Barovia will rebuild, and with the help of Sir Urik and Ashlyn will probably see an influx of missionaries and pilgrims, as well as a resurgence of the Knights of the Raven.

Phantom.exe
2008-08-11, 01:12 PM
Wow! Thanks! That's... that's actually very good!
Well, yeah, Ravenloft, like any D&D module, has plenty of loose ends. But we're definitely not picking this up again; we're all leaving to go back to school.

Because of that, I figure I'm going to do what I originally planned:

We've always treated Ravenloft light-heartedly, as though it were an Eastern console RPG such as Final Fantasy or Blue Dragon.

The 'original' ending, I joked, was to have the entire land of Barovia fade away, being nothing more than Strahd's own will holding a long-outdated land together.

I'm not sure what the 'secret ending' is. You know, heh, if you get 100% completion? Well, I'm thinking I'll have something along the lines of this little memory of Strahd's being thrust back into the real world.

I tried to emphasize that the people and inhabitants were trapped because of Strahd. However, I never really gave Ireena much development. Because of that, I'm just having Ireena and the castle disappear.

Would that be any good, or would you feel gypped?

The New Bruceski
2008-08-11, 02:35 PM
Wow! Thanks! That's... that's actually very good!
Well, yeah, Ravenloft, like any D&D module, has plenty of loose ends. But we're definitely not picking this up again; we're all leaving to go back to school.

Because of that, I figure I'm going to do what I originally planned:

We've always treated Ravenloft light-heartedly, as though it were an Eastern console RPG such as Final Fantasy or Blue Dragon.

The 'original' ending, I joked, was to have the entire land of Barovia fade away, being nothing more than Strahd's own will holding a long-outdated land together.

I'm not sure what the 'secret ending' is. You know, heh, if you get 100% completion? Well, I'm thinking I'll have something along the lines of this little memory of Strahd's being thrust back into the real world.

I tried to emphasize that the people and inhabitants were trapped because of Strahd. However, I never really gave Ireena much development. Because of that, I'm just having Ireena and the castle disappear.

Would that be any good, or would you feel gypped?

It really depends on how the adventure was played. From your description a Castlevania ending seems doable for you folks, though if somebody else was playing a gothic horror feel it would be a cop-out.

That's kind of what makes it hard to suggest an ending; not only does it depend on how the actual players approached the game, but Castle Ravenloft itself has a bunch of different ideas in-book on ways to play it, with rather different feels and styles to them.

Matthew
2008-08-13, 01:24 PM
I was never all that satisfied with the ending to the (film version) of Bram Stoker's Dracula, but it seems like a fairly obvious one to have a crack at. Is Irena only a ghost in the D20 version, or is someone who looks "very like her" still in the village?

Phantom.exe
2008-08-14, 12:52 AM
In the Expedition to Castle Ravenloft version, it is never said. This wouldn't be a problem, except they don't even hint at it - either they forgot the ending (Which I think they did) or they expected both DMs and players to find it out on their own.

Ireena appears to be human, and she was found wandering around in a clearing at a young age. She was taken in, and raised as the Burgomeister's own.

One person once said that she was the reincarnation of Tatyana, Strahd's lover, and that at the end, Sergei von Zarovich, Strahd's brother, takes her away from this world.

But there is no mention of any of this in the D&D version.

Tokiko Mima
2008-08-14, 09:24 AM
Or you could end it the old 'rocks fall' way and get Castle Ravenloft to crumble without Strahd's magic to hold it together. You fight any monster you missed on the way out (making a lot of Reflex saves as the ceiling, walls and floors collapse during any fight), and right as the party exits the main entrance the castle finally loses all resistance to gravity and becomes so much dust and detris. It coincidently happens to be dawn, and the Mists themselves clear for the first time in Barovian history.

Kinda how they ended all the old Castlevania/Metroid/Ninja Gaiden/Final Fantasy VI games with a big escape scene, some large scale demolition and a sunrise or sunset. Maybe have Sergei's or that Knight of the Raven's ghost do a cameo to wrap up any loose plot threads? :smallwink:

hamlet
2008-08-14, 09:43 AM
The original module* had a whole slew of endings based on what the DM wanted, what the players did, and anything in between.

Either the players could, after a hard slog, kill Strahd and that's the end. Or maybe they could only temporarily put him out of action, in which case he can become ar ecurring villian. Or maybe they're not in the module to kill Strahd anyway, but for something else.

There are plenty of options, really.

*If you can't find the original module, you just aren't looking hard enough. They're all over the place. There's one right here: http://www.nobleknight.com/ProductDetail.asp_Q_ProductID_E_1798_A_InventoryID _E_2147530202_A_ProductLineID_E_2_A_ManufacturerID _E_1_A_CategoryID_E_12_A_GenreID_E_ for only $9.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-14, 10:37 AM
Okay, I procrastinated long enough!

Let's skip the chase scene: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft is a GREAT book, but it doesn't have an ending. There are mentions and references toward a section, but they don't exist.

There is no ending.

My final session for the campaign is on Wednesday the 13th. I need to finish it up. Now.

Now, I can't find the original Ravenloft anywhere, or I would just use that - so does anyone have any theories on how to end it?

That's all I have right now.

RPGNOW (and others) have 1E PDFs for just under $5 (Half way down 1E Ravenloft):

http://www.rpgnow.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=RAVENLOFT&quicksearch=1&search_filter=&filters=&search_free=&search_in_description=1&search_in_author=1&search_in_artist=1&x=6&y=8

The House on Gryphon Hill is free from WOTC and might have enough useful material:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20020121x9

Matthew
2008-08-14, 11:25 AM
In the Expedition to Castle Ravenloft version, it is never said. This wouldn't be a problem, except they don't even hint at it - either they forgot the ending (Which I think they did) or they expected both DMs and players to find it out on their own.

Ireena appears to be human, and she was found wandering around in a clearing at a young age. She was taken in, and raised as the Burgomeister's own.

One person once said that she was the reincarnation of Tatyana, Strahd's lover, and that at the end, Sergei von Zarovich, Strahd's brother, takes her away from this world.

But there is no mention of any of this in the D&D version.

As luck would have it, someone over on Knights & Knaves posted the truly corny AD&D Tatyana/Ireena ending:

Thick clouds are overhead. Through the chilly morning mists the lands of Barovia are visible far below. There is a peacefulness here. Rest has come to the valley for the first time anyone can remember. There is sleep without fear.

A light flashes brilliantly behind you. Wheeling around, you see a shining stately man in white armor and cape. His rugged features show great strength of will, yet the forcefulness of his presence is tempered by his clam, sad eyes. His features are those of Strahd, yet subtly different.

His voice is calm and peaceful. "My name is Sergei von Zarovich." He turns to Ireena. "Tatyana, the time is at hand to rest. Come, my love and wife." He stretches forth his hand.

Ireena Kolyana's questioning eyes suddenly open with recognition and knowledge. Forgotten memories rush upon her. "Sergei!" she cries, springing to him with the grace of a doe. They embrace.

Ireena turns to you. "I am Ireena Kolyana, but in my past I was Sergei's beloved Tatyana. Through these many centuries we have played out the tragedy of our lives. Now, with our deepest gratitude to you, that tragedy is over. It is time for joy to begin again."

Shimmering light surrounds Ireena and Sergei. Hand in hand, they walk east toward the edge of the overlook. Their feet do not touch the ground, they tread a path beyond this mortal world. Their invisible road takes them beyond the eastern precipice, their glow illuminating and thinning the clouds above Barovia. The clouds suddenly break open, letting glorious shafts of sunlight flood through. In the valley below, the strange fog dissolves, loosing its power. Barovia is free once more.

LordMalrog
2008-08-14, 03:21 PM
Personally i made my own. In it strad, falls of the same tower as his beloved, and disappears into the morning mist. His ashes were not found. The heros are given a warm welcome, a feast of whatevers left, and a statue in their honor, and are sent on their way.

Phantom.exe
2008-08-14, 11:33 PM
Well, we finished the campaign!

Sort of. Now, I ran the campaign in a very non-serious tone - we were all laughs, all the time. Of course, it was consistent, and we paid attention to most of the rules.

Most of them.

A lot of the time, we sort of characterized it by comparing it to games like, for example, Final Fantasy, BioShock, or television programs like LOST.

One must understand that my game had a greater focus on fun action. When your Shaolin Monk can actually kill Baba Zelenna by popping her head like a grape, you know it's about action.
Also, understand that players captured almost every boss I threw at them. Well, the paladin did. A player decided it would be more fun to play as Ashlyn. It worked out great -a little reworking of her feats and some advancement, and it worked fine.

Anyway, the ending I used ended with Strahd's death. Wait, that didn't make sense. Well, the game's "Ending Cutscene" ended with Strahd's staking. The characters had earlier made some deductions that the world itself was not as it seemed - it had all been drawn from Strahd's memories. The townsfolk were ignorant of any advances, their accents and mannerisms outdated by centuries. The plane itself was just Strahd's iron will, keeping it static.

When Strahd died, the castle began to evaporate and crumble. The heroes rushed to escape, but they were thrown and jostled as the castle itself seemed to fade out of existence.

So, too, did the town and lands. From their vantage point on the cliff overlooking Barovia, they stood and gave their regards to each other, Sir Urik, and other NPCs - I decided that the party needed a little help, so I added a few more recruitable NPC companions; a werewolf from the forest, the Rakshasa from the downloadable extra side-quest, a Sorcerer from Faerun, and an Elan from Greyhawk.

Well, the ending was good, I think, and the music meshed well. As the last bits of Barovia faded to white, the heroes braced themselves...

And then, the "Secret 100% Ending" was the heroes waking up in the same place - but with Barovia in modern Karrnath. It didn't make a whole lot of sense unless they'd been there in the first session. Sorry.

Well. Thanks for all your help. I was satisfied.

How did you guys end it / how do you plan on ending it?

Thanks again to everyone who helped find the corny bits about Ireena and the cool monologues! That's what I could've used in the book!