PDA

View Full Version : Incorporating Music into a game

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-10, 03:43 PM
I've never used music as part of the games I've DMed, but I think I would like to give it a try. How would you suggest doing this. How many different tracks should I use? How often should I change between them? What types of music are too distracting?

Thank you for your help.

Deth Muncher
2008-08-10, 03:54 PM
I've never used music as part of the games I've DMed, but I think I would like to give it a try. How would you suggest doing this. How many different tracks should I use? How often should I change between them? What types of music are too distracting?

Thank you for your help.

It entirely depends on your campaign, as well as your own musical tastes. Personally, I'm the only PC with a laptop, so when the Bard starts singing, I find an appropriate song (or take requests). Also, I'll randomly throw in songs that tie in with whatever may be going on (thank you iTunes Search Function!), but these are more silly than practical.

If you're going for mood music, however, that's an entirely different story. I still insist that FFVII has a great soundtrack that can fit most occasions. I would almost ALWAYS choose instrumentals (any instrumentals, not just FFVII) over vocal pieces, except where funny or appropriate.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-10, 03:59 PM
I cannot reccomed Tangerine Dream highly enough. Instrumental ambient music, with enough variety to keep from being annoying while staying firmly in the background. Any given TG song is either heavenly or menacing depending on the context. Liquid Tension Experiment is great for combat scenes, while The Planets by Holst is good for about anything. Robert Fripp solo stuff (including stuff with Brian Eno) fits the bill, as does anything instrumental by King Crimson.

alchemyprime
2008-08-10, 04:04 PM
I always use folk songs for when we're in taverns. I have the KH soundtrack, the Baldurs Gate soundtrack (I know the guy who recorded it!) and a smattering of Zelda and FF. I use those for battles. I need to grab the Pirates soundtrack from one of my friends...

But by far? Fighting a balckguard psychic warrior with a brilliant bastard sword? Only can be done to the Imperial March.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-10, 04:18 PM
How loud would you suggest playing the music?

Deth Muncher
2008-08-10, 04:18 PM
But by far? Fighting a balckguard psychic warrior with a brilliant bastard sword? Only can be done to the Imperial March.

Seconded. Especially if the sword had prestidigitation cast on it to make it red.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-10, 04:20 PM
Seconded. Especially if the sword had prestidigitation cast on it to make it red.

Only one word can describe that: Win.

averagejoe
2008-08-10, 04:25 PM
Hehe, I remember one session where everyone had bought glamored armor, so one of my friends downloaded the original Power Rangers soundtrack.

My first DM played music just cuz, not to go along with the campaign, and that tended to be distracting, if for no other reason than because people insisted on singing along with their favorites. For that reason too I'd reccomend instrumental tracks. I could probably make some more specific suggestions, but I'd need more info about situations, tastes, and such.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-10, 04:27 PM
I really have got to get my hands on the Baldur's gate Soundtrack.

AslanCross
2008-08-10, 04:34 PM
I've done it a couple of times. I even put together a whole track list to use from start to end.

While it's sometimes a good idea (it works really well for Horror adventures with the Diablo soundtrack---even the Tristram theme song creeped out the players as they began the adventure in their stronghold), I often find that the music just lapses into the background as people begin to debate on their turns and shout out their actions (and protests/groans of horror) as the game goes on.

Jack_of_Spades
2008-08-10, 08:15 PM
I suggest using music that doesn't need to be changed often and doesn't have lyrics. I really like Midnight Syndicate for this, but videogame soundtracks work well too, at least if they loop well. I use Secret of Mana around towns and villages, but will occasionally dip into Final Fantasy, often IX, but sometimes VII or VIII. Diablo 1 and 2 are my favorite for dungeons because you just hit play and *poof* atmosphere! I find using music with lyrics (except for the occasional rock song during BIG fights, main villains and the like) is too distracting and pulls people out of their characters personality by reminding them that its not a dark dangerous time where isolated bastions of civilization hold at bay the forces of evil. Damn you, Queen and your Bohemian Rhapsody!

I do also like having theme music for a campaign to play when you re-cap what happened last time. I used to use the theme song to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Radio Drama while reading my notes back. Now, I use the opening song from Chrono Trigger.

Hecore
2008-08-10, 08:31 PM
The Game Music Concert series of cd's can work well, since it's game music performed by the Tokyo City Philharmonic Orchestra.

valadil
2008-08-10, 08:53 PM
I tried adding music during my first game. I'd have a playlist for each setting and some themes for certain NPCs. It took way too much of my attention and ultimately wasn't worth the trouble. I might be able to handle it now that I'm a more experienced DM, but I don't DM with my laptop anymore so it's a moot point.

What I hear works pretty well is putting a player in charge of the music. Give them your laptop and maybe instructions for what to play at certain queues. This is especially nice if you have anyone with ADD who needs something else to do.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-10, 09:21 PM
I like just finding an ambient radio station on iTunes, and playing that however loud it needs to be. I find that just switching from different types of ambient (acoustic, folky to intense electronica to symphonic) covers most of the music you'll need. Volume depends on the music, of course.