PDA

View Full Version : White Plume Mountain: Group 2 (IC)

Ditto
2008-08-10, 05:52 PM
Wiz: Dracassan, Human Diviner (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=4631)
rpgramen: 'Bear', Human cleric (http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=4077)
drum-n-bass: Kalimac Brandybuckle/Betty, Gnome rogue (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=72309)
Thrall of Ao: Magnus Bane, Human Monk-erer (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=4630)
Space-is-curved: Korim Naed, Human battle sorcerer (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=69693)

When Riikan Dack, a wealthy collector of rare art objects, hired you to recover a three weapons stolen from his vault, he offered your group 10,000 gp—a reward sizable enough to dissuade you from asking too many questions. He showed you the boastful note left by the thief—supposedly an ancient wizard named Keraptis.

Search ye far or search ye near,
You’ll find no trace of the three
Unless you follow instructions clear,
For the weapons abide with me.

North past forest, farm, and furrow
You must go to reach the feathered mound.
Then down away from the sun you’ll burrow—
Forget life, forget light, forget sound.

To rescue Wave, you must do battle
With the Beast in the Boiling Bubble.
Crost cavern vast, where chain-links rattle
Lies Whelm, past waterspouts double.

Blackrazor yet remains to be won
Underneath inverted ziggurat.
That garnered, think not that you’re done,
For now you’ll find you are caught.

I care not, former owners brave,
What heroes you seek to hire.
Though mighty, each shall be my slave
Or vanish into the fire.

-K

Dack told you that his sources had pinpointed your destination (the “feathered mound” named in the note) as a volcanic peak called White Plume Mountain. Days later, you found yourselves scaling the south slope of the mountain. You soon located an entry tunnel leading into the rock and emerged in a cave that actually seemed to breathe, exhaling a large cloud of steam and then slowly inhaling again, like a man breathing on a cold day.

Ditto
2008-08-10, 05:53 PM
Standing alone in a vast area of dismal moors and tangled thickets is White Plume Mountain, an almost perfectly conical volcanic hill formed millennia ago from the slow leakage of lava. About 1,000 yards in diameter at the base, the peak rises about 800 feet above the surrounding land. The white plume that gives the mountain its name and fame is a continuous geyser that spouts from the very summit. The spray shoots 300 feet into the air, then trails off to the east under the prevailing winds like a great white feather. The water from the geyser collects in numerous depressions downslope that eventually merge, creating a sizeable stream.

The nearest village, Yellowreach, lies about 5 miles from the mountain along the Yellow Flow River (so named for the sulfurous deposits along its banks). From Yellowreach, Fellsind (Dack's home city) is two days' journey south and west. The villagers know of the mountain and its surroundings, as well as details of the only entrance. Steam vents pierce the mountainside in various spots, but none of them is large enough to allow entry. The only possible entrance to the volcanic cone is a cave on the south slope. This cavern is known as the Wizard’s Mouth, where the party finds itself now, poised to enter what stories say was once Keraptis' domain...

rpgramen
2008-08-10, 10:23 PM
Harper "Bear" Redcoal (http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=4077)

It hadn't been a particularly exciting year for Bear. Things were slow, as they often were in the adventuring profession from time to time: work was being scooped up by the up-and-comers, whilst the more challenging jobs remained non-existent. At least, that's what Bear'd thought until he'd recieved a rather well-written letter, and by "recieve" he means "took off of a thumbtacked board."

This particular endeavor seemed fit for one such as he: a true test of strength, courage, and honor. All Bear had to do was scale a mountain, slay the creatures within, and reclaim the the missing artifact-thing-a-ma-bobs... it didnt particularly matter what they were, as far as Bear was concerned.

So here he was, at the base of a sulfurous mountain cave with a ragtag band of mis-adventurers, ready to tackle this impressive feat of heroism in the name of Kord - for honor, glory, and strength!

"Guess this is the place, huh?" Bear sniffs, the sulfur burning his nose ever so slightly, to which he aptly rubs with his hand, his unkempt brown hair lazily drooping over most of his face, his other hand simultaneously shoving that back behind his head. "Fah. It doesn't look nearly as treacherous as the letter'd made it out to be."

drum-n-bass
2008-08-11, 10:07 AM
Kalimac Brandybuckle

Sniffing the air, he winces at the horrendous smell of it. Everybody ready to do this? he asks out of his own curiosity. Looking around in the cavernous hole, Well, I guess there's no turning back now he says trying to get a laugh out of everybody.

Thrall_Of_Ao
2008-08-11, 12:46 PM
Magnus Bane

Drawing his exquisitely tailored crimson cloak around himself, even far from civilization, he managed to be perfectly poised, not missing a beat as he instantly replied to the cleric's statement with one of his own.

"Looks can be decieving. Particularly when preparing to pass through a place known as 'Wizard's Mouth'."

His eyes flickered like lighting in the night sky, falling upon the Gnome with enough power to nearly char flesh for a brief instant.

"Perhaps those with the sharpest eyes should proceed inside first.
Darcassan, what do you advise?"

He seemed to not notice the sulfurous stench, or was was able to do a flawless job of appearing as though he didn't.

Wiz
2008-08-12, 02:17 PM
Dracassan

The wizard looks thoughtful. "Generally, the rog... the trapfinder would lead the way in most parties." He holds up his staff, atop which a continual flame burns. "I can provide heatless torchlight along the way, or grant one person darkvision with a spell that I have memorized." He purses his lips, "My father was a locksmith, so I have a bit of experience with such things as a backup. I'm not particularly good at identifying traps, but if one is pointed out to me I can probably trigger it at range, or disable it." He looks at Magnus Bane, "I can pray for a divination to Boccob if we aren't sure what the best path might be ahead, but it should be used to clarify only a major decision."

drum-n-bass
2008-08-12, 06:02 PM
Kalimac Brandybuckle

*Sigh*....Well I guess ill start us off then he says walking into the hole. Under the staff light of Dracassan his low-light vision kicks in seeing twice as far as his human counterparts.

Ditto
2008-08-12, 07:41 PM
The cavern is warm and damp, and seems to sigh softly as you enter into it. The floor is covered with a layer of muck - a byproduct of condensation dripping down from the walls and seeping into the seething, verdant mud. A cloud of steam washes over you, flowing from a small crevice in the ceiling at the edge of Dracassan's torchlight, about 30 feet in. After a moment, it is followed by a burst of cold air and a loud whistling noise as the steam rushes out the hole and through another of the mountain's many vents.

Kalimac sees nothing of interest as he moves in, until he comes to the wall beneath the outlet vent. Settled partly beneath this mud, near the back of the cavern, there is a simple trapdoor set 4-feet-square with an iron ring. It lies open before you, and you can see the edge of a rusty metal staircase spiraling into the humid darkness below. Apparently the last travellers who came through this way did not elect to pull it closed upon their return... or perhaps, did not return.

drum-n-bass
2008-08-12, 08:33 PM
Kalimac Brandybuckle

Kalimac checks the surrounding areas for traps; thinking that they could have started down the hole, get hit by the trap, and fall to their death.

he uses the trapfinding and trap sense class abilities he has to look for them if that doesnt work ill roll a search check
[roll0]

Ditto
2008-08-12, 09:24 PM
Trapfinding and Trap Sense aren't active abilities, so you do need to roll Search when you check for traps.

You don't find anything in particular on the stairs... just rust.

Thrall_Of_Ao
2008-08-13, 12:25 AM
Magnus Bane

"Very well. Lead on Mr. Brandybuckle."

A mild look of disdain coupled by a barely discernable expression of discomfort creases Magnus' otherwise flawless features as they proceed into the muck covered cave.

I do hope the entire expedition does not consist of trudging through cave sludge.

His eyes, ever watchful, never ceased scanning the cavern, moving in systematic paterns across the shadowed stone, his body poised, watchfully at ease.

As a general rule, unless I state otherwise, Magnus will be actively Spotting and Listening.
If you'd like to roll them secretly, be my guest, but I'll roll them here just in case.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen:[roll1]

Wiz
2008-08-13, 08:41 AM
Dracassan

Dracassan lifts his staff to illuminate the passageway with his continual flame. Not much to look at, and so far nothing that resonates with my visions. He steps forward, holding the staff's flame over the pit, looking down.

rpgramen
2008-08-13, 03:25 PM

"Nuts," Bear grumbles as it becomes obvious there's nothing of noteworthy interest as he followed along with Magnus, decending into the damp, muck-laiden cavern in tandem.

Ditto
2008-08-13, 07:57 PM
As you peer into the darkness below, you see the spiral ends perhaps 15 feet down, ending in a similarly murky and puddley floorspace. The light you shine in the gap shows a short passageway that turns after a few yards at the edge of view, marked by a weakly-burning torch in a sconce by the corner.

Wiz
2008-08-14, 12:47 AM
Dracassan

The mage frowns, "Okay, whoever lives here is leaving torches burning..."

Space-Is-Curved
2008-08-14, 11:52 AM
Korim Naed

"Good" Korim says, almost to himself. "That means whatever lives here needs light. The fewer advantages the enemy has, the safer we are."

The sorcerer had been quiet until now. It allowed him to spend his focus on his surroundings. Besides, he wasn't yet sure who he could trust in this group.

He hadn't said much at all since he met the rest of the group back in Yellowreach. He simply watched and walked, using his spear as a long walking staff.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Oh, and sorry for being a little late.

Wiz
2008-08-16, 02:01 PM
Dracassan

The wizard looks at the gnome, "Want to check it for traps? An open trapdoor with a convenient ladder seems kind of suspicious."

drum-n-bass
2008-08-16, 02:34 PM
Kalimac Brandybuckle

I'm way ahead of you there's no traps, but be careful of the rust on the stairs they may crumple beneath you. I'll go first if no one else wants to. He says about to start off.

Ditto
2008-08-16, 03:29 PM
Kalimac's trial first step on the stairs shows that the stack surprisingly well-preserved and sturdy, despite the outward appearance its environment has provided it.

drum-n-bass
2008-08-16, 07:07 PM
Kalimac Brandybuckle

Its reasonably safe guys. Except for you bigger folk need to be careful when going down. he shouts while tecking down the rest of the steps carefully.

Space-Is-Curved
2008-08-17, 09:56 AM
Korim Naes

Korim quietly follows the gnome down the stairs. He stays watchful in case of an ambush.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Wiz
2008-08-17, 12:18 PM
Dracassan

Dracassan tucks his staff into his sash and begins climbing down when it is his turn.

Thrall_Of_Ao
2008-08-18, 10:03 PM
Magnus Bane

"Excellent," he said, looking slowly one final time at the dim cave before following the Sage down the stairs.

And so it begins...he thought to himself as he drew his cloak up to keep it from dragging in the muck as he descended.

rpgramen
2008-08-19, 04:14 AM

"Gee, I'll try, Ma," Bear retorts, moving behind the rest of the party, his weight causing him to become just a tad nervous. Being built like a brick house certainly had its disadvantages.

drum-n-bass
2008-08-20, 05:13 PM
Kalimac Brandybuckle

Mumbling and grumbling at Bear's response, continues quietly down the stairs. Reaching the bottom he looks around for anything suspicious or a door to enter.

Spot[roll0]
Search[roll1]
the mythweavers server is down so i just guessed +4

Thrall_Of_Ao
2008-08-20, 06:33 PM
Magnus Bane

Tempted as he was to levitate down the center of the spiral staircase, he knew that conservation of their resources would have to be an integral part of their strategy if they were to survive, as they would likely be isolated from civilization for quite some time.

He frowned minutely at the thought, even as he kept a sharp eye out for any sign of danger, either from the stairs themselves, or an apporaching enemy.

Ditto
2008-08-20, 07:03 PM
Magnus may reconsider his decision on levitation depending on how firmly he feels about his robes' cleanliness. What once was only a small puddle here and there spreads deeper as Kalimac rounds the corner, up to shin-height (or knee height, for him).

Kalimac: A few steps ahead, you can make out what looks to be a large pile (about 3 ft.) of bones at the intersection of three other tunnels. On top of the pile, a form moves. You watch as the creature shifts - its body looks like that of a mangy lion, and great, tattered wings lie folded at its sides. A female humanoid face peers out from beneath the tangled mat of hair that covers its head. She blinks slowly and stretches her front paws out, extending her claws lazily. She licks her lips and turns her head just slightly to the side in interest.

Wiz
2008-08-20, 09:47 PM
Dracassan

Dracassan wades through the water, hoping his high boots will keep his feet dry. He follows Kalimak around the corner and raises an eyebrow seeing what looks like a sphinx. He raises his staff and bows his head, speaking in common, "Greetings, we apologize if we have intruded upon your territory."

Ditto
2008-08-21, 09:49 AM
She inclines her head in acknowledgement. "You are as welcome to wade as any other, human. Come no nearer without answering me, though; the price to pass is but a word. Solve my riddles, and you may continue. You stand in the south; west, north, and east await you. You each must speak the name of the path you will take if you wish to go forward." She adds with a sly grin, And then the game begins."

Thrall_Of_Ao
2008-08-21, 11:55 AM
Magnus Bane

Magnus paused momentarily a few steps from the base of the stairs.

Nothing a good prestidigitation spell couldn't fix, but still...

As he lifted his food to continue downward, resigned to suffering the muck in silence, he heard Dracassan speak to something out of his direct line of sight.

Rethinking his actions, he casually moves a few steps back up the stairs, pausing to cast levitation. Feeling his feet lift slightly off of the rusted steps, pushes himself into the open air of the stairwells center, his cloak billowing around him.

[Ditto, if you'd rule that Magnus would have, by that point been on the floor, let me know and I'll edit]

Wiz
2008-08-21, 12:21 PM
Dracassan

Dracassan nods, "I'll not step forward then, til I'm ready to play your game and say your word. Excuse me a moment while I consult wisdom far greater than mine." He gets out a small scroll and a stick of incense and holds them up, chanting a long chant that takes at least ten minutes. Halfway through, the scroll bursts into flames on one end and he lights the incense, making arcane gestures through with it and the burning scroll as he continues chanting. Under his breath he whispers, "Which direction should I choose, oh great Boccob? What answer will give us the greatest chance of weal and success, but most of all, and superseding our own desires, the greatest service to your name?"

Cast Divination (I won't roll, because you might not want to let me know how successful the roll is... I believe it should be a 77%).

drum-n-bass
2008-08-21, 05:32 PM
Kalimac Brandybuckle

Remembering the note left behind

Search ye far or search ye near,
You’ll find no trace of the three
Unless you follow instructions clear,
For the weapons abide with me.

To rescue Wave, you must do battle
With the Beast in the Boiling Bubble.
Crost cavern vast, where chain-links rattle
Lies Whelm, past waterspouts double.

Blackrazor yet remains to be won
Underneath inverted ziggurat.
That garnered, think not that you’re done,
For now you’ll find you are caught.

I care not, former owners brave,
What heroes you seek to hire.
Though mighty, each shall be my slave
Or vanish into the fire.

-K

Figuring they had already accomplished the second stanza except for the last line, he whispers to Magnus The note that the guy left behind said
We have done this except to forget life light and sound.
How would we accomplish that?

Ditto
2008-08-22, 09:14 AM
Dracassan:
A deep bass whisper returns, "The answer is of little use when one does not know to which question it belongs. Ask for that question which leads you to the north."

Wiz
2008-08-22, 10:39 AM
Dracassan

Dracasson ponders the reply, but unable to cast the spell a second time for now he decides to go with the clue twice given. Stepping forward, Dracassan says, "North."

Thrall_Of_Ao
2008-08-22, 07:17 PM
Magnus Bane

Leaning forward slightly as Kal whispered to him, he raised an eyebrow slightly before replying, "My good gnome, despite riddles and similar puzzle solving not being within my main spheres of expertice, I would venture a guess that we have not yet encountered the last "sound" aspect of that stanza.
I would further conclude that the absence of sound could very well be based on a spell of a synonymous title: Silence. Of course, this is all conjecture, and currently seems irrelivent to our current conundrum," he concludes, his smooth and powerful voice calmly relaying his thoughts as he hovered above the muck, keeping to tones low enough as to not interrupt Dracassan, nor be heard by the mangey beast over his casting efforts.

Before his effort were complete, Magnus sensed his spell wearing thin, so took the time to lift himself effortlessly out of the trap door, fully expecting an ambush, and scouting the cave entrance for possible tails before returning once more to the base of the stairs, listening as the Diviner gave his answer.

"I, trusting in your judgment and in the spirit of solidarity, shall answer likewise," he said, turning towards the beast "My answer is North as well." he said in a clear and confident voice.

He'll scout outside with about 1 min. remaining on his spell (5 min. into Dracassan's casting).

He'll only Hide and MS for about 5 rounds max, outside the cave, unless there's someone or something inside it when he get's up there.

If, on the off chance there is in fact an ambush waiting above, here's my checks.

Spot: [roll0]

Listen: [roll1]

Initiative: [roll2] -1 actually (25), was guessing without double checking. :smallredface:

As I move about the cave and outside the cave entrance-

Hide: [roll3]

Move Lilently: [roll4]

If I spot anyone and they don't notice me, I'll return inside quietly. Otherwise my actions will be as the situation deems necessary.

Ditto
2008-08-22, 08:07 PM
Magnus:
How terrifically paranoid of you! Don't worry, you'll know if you're being ambushed. :smallamused: I'll roll initiative for everyone when we find a combat. There's nothing of interest to see in your travels - still mucky, still humid, still dim.

The sphinx nods gravely and recites verse in a measured (and obviously oft-recited) tones:
"Round she is, yet flat as a board,
Altar of the Lupine Lords,
Jewel on black velvet, pearl in the sea,
Unchanged but e’erchanging, eternally."

Wiz
2008-08-23, 12:30 AM
Dracassan

Dracassan blinks, "Are we riddle gaming? There are usually more preliminaries for such. Nevertheless, if what you seek is an answer to your conundrum I suppose I might venture one. The world is a sphere, yet seems flat to those who stand upon it. Any who might worship the natural world be they feline, canine, or lupine might look upon it as their altar and goddess in one. In the firmament of the sky which is black as night where the sun is not, it would indeed hang like a jewel. In the sea of equal darkness, a shining pearl would be a sphere you might equate it with. Also of course, the world could be looked as both unchanging and eternally changing depending on your perspective and the aspects of interest... so my answer would be the world... by whatever name, feminine or otherwise that it might be addressed by in a particular language."

Space-Is-Curved
2008-08-23, 03:52 PM
Korim Naes

After standing around in the muck for ten minutes waiting for Dracassan to divine an answer to the last riddle, Korim grows slightly impatient. After learning that there are more riddles to answer his impatience only increases.

He listens as the wizard gives his long winded response, and replies, "No. Wrong world. Wolves worship the moon."
He pauses for a moment before adding, "I'll go north too. We're stronger if we stay together."

Wiz
2008-08-23, 04:49 PM
Dracassan

Dracassan nods to the other, "Well, now we have two answers that fit your riddle." He smiles, "What happens now, do we proceed?"

drum-n-bass
2008-08-23, 05:54 PM
Kalimac Brandybuckle

Figuring he would go along with the group, he just stays by Magnus fidgeting with his thumbs until something happens.

Ditto
2008-08-23, 10:39 PM
The sphinx issues as small snort at the taller human when he replies. "There are many answers which are not wrong, but only one which is right. The bearer of the pointy stick may pass." She dips her head in deference to Korim, and shuffles to the side on her pile of bones to allow him passage.

Wiz
2008-08-23, 11:19 PM
Dracassan

Dracassan nods thoughtfully, "Very well... but are you saying that only one may go each direction. There are four of us... and it was our intention to go together. What exactly are the rules of this game of yours?"

Ditto
2008-08-24, 12:03 AM
"You may go in any direction you choose, but all must answer me in order to pass. It is not a difficult arrangement, human." She raises an eyebrow to Korim, with a look that says You hang out with this guy?

Space-Is-Curved
2008-08-24, 09:06 AM
Korim Naes

Korim frowns slightly. "I will go forward, but I will wait for the rest on the other side." With that, he trudges through the muck to the pile of bones and crosses over to the north.

Wiz
2008-08-24, 09:20 AM
Dracassan

Dracassan nods, "In that case, I still go north. Is moon a sufficient answer, or is there a new riddle now that that one has been answered?"

Thrall_Of_Ao
2008-08-24, 09:58 AM
Magnus Bane

In his efforts to be prepared for every eventuality, he fails to be prepared for the seemingly most obvious one; another riddle from the Sphinx.

Suddenly, the situation changes rather rapidly, as Dracassan gives an answer to a riddle Magnus never saw coming.

Listening in astounded silence as he gives the incorrect answer he shakes his head ever so slightly, then nodding once slowly as Korim makes the correct answer and the realization of their mistep fully dawns on him, completely hidden upon his perfectly poised features.

Wily creature indeed, I had believed that her mention of 'games beggining' was simply a thinly veiled threat and that the question of direction was the true riddle. Hopefully the next riddle I suspect is coming contains an equally obvious answer...but it seems that no matter what, Dracassan is barred from proceeding...another puzzle it would seem, but one that I have and for which I believe there is only one, solution to.

Looking down at the nervous Gnome, and his thoroughly soiled breeches, he leans slightly over, standing as he was on the slightly less muckridden second to last step, and whispered "Kal, do you happen to have anything upon which to write?" he asks in a curious warm voice "I may need your specialized assistance in our efforts to overcome this current challenge".

Adressing all his companions, he spoke in a loud clear and commanding voice "My friends, I would advise that from this point on, we confer on any such answers before giving response...up to and including, spell casting used to determine said answers." looking at Dracassan he added "I have no doubt that your assisance in this regard will be invaluable indeed. Please, draw nearer so that we might speak on these things."

Giving a decisive open handed beconing gesture while inclining his head, he then looked directly at the filthy creature barring their path.

Raising his voice slightly and directing his statement at it, he said "I would gladly and happily pass with an answer of 'The Moon', as I also determined the answer to that riddle, but regretably did so too slowly for our quick witted companion," he nodds graciously in Korim's direction "So, as I suspect there shall be one question for each of us, please proceed with your riddling most beautiful and wise of all creatures."

He smiles politely and inclines his head ever so slightly to the side, crossing his arms and resting his chin on his hand thoughtfully.

drum-n-bass
2008-08-24, 02:34 PM
Kalimac Brandybuckle

I do have a piece of canvas right here for you he says reaching in his pack and pulling out a sheet of canvas and giving it to Magnus.

Ditto
2008-08-25, 12:00 AM
Ahem! That's *bedraggled*, not filthy! :smalltongue:

At Dracassan's inquiry, she nods. "I have given my price, and you have paid. You may go through.

She was clearly about to interrupt Magnus when he stopped; at the break, she draws herself up and says, "Do not presume to patronize me. Again I say, you may continue to the north so long as you answer me this riddle. There is but one price - would you rather I change this? If you insist on nattering away like blighted crows, then I would bid you begone."

You miiiight be overthinking things, ToA. :smallsmile:

Wiz
2008-08-25, 02:36 AM
Dracassan

Dracassan nods and bows to the sphinx, "I thank you then, and follow my colleague who has proven to have more common sense than I." True to his word, he steps into the corridor, following Korim.

rpgramen
2008-08-25, 08:55 AM

Nodding in agreement with the smarty-mage-type-guy, Bear silently concurs on the aforementioned plan of action, content to let the inte-- intellectu-- brainy guys do the thinking, whilst he does the smashing.

"Right. The moon it is then, Shorty," Bear exclaims to the sphynx, pouring on the charm as he strides one large foot after the other behind Korim... which, ironically, is about the equivallent of rolling around in dung for three days, then rinsing off in tavern ale, a greasy face with a fairly rigid smile stretched from the one ear of the massive cleric to the other.

Ditto
2008-08-25, 02:57 PM
That’s really funny (to me)… when I played through this mod years ago, a similarly daffy cleric and able caster met the sphinx.

”It looks like we might want to try co-operating here. She says if we can answer her riddles, she'll help us.” Gilbert directs his attention back to the Sphinx directly, Can my companions and I collaborate before answering?”

Tong asked, Yeah, or if not, can we at least talk amongst ourselves before any of us answer?

Gilbert: ::facepalm::

Thrall_Of_Ao
2008-08-25, 05:45 PM
Magnus Bane

Magnus' only response to the unexpected statement made by the beast was to raise a single eyebrow very slowly.

After pausing a beat to digest her response, he inclines his head in a single deferential nod simultaneously raising a hand palm out, demonstrating his full understanding of her waning patience and without another word and only a gentle pat of appreciation on the shoulder of the helpful Gnome, walks to the other side to join the battlecaster there, all the while staying alert for any kind of deception on the bedraggled beasts part.

So, as much as I doubed it, we are able to pass with the answer of only a single riddle and one correct answer each to the same riddle, as overly simple as such would seem to be.

The greatest challenge is that the riddle is too simple to believe! Although, she did not make any mention of the price of our returning this way...but one thing at a time I suppose.

Heh! Not quite that bad in this case, but yea, overthinking tends to occur in situations like this, it a side effect of playing with GM's that tend to make every challenge ones that push the party's resources and abilities to the limit, which, by the way, I, as a GM, frown on and try to avoid in my own games.

Last time I encountered a Gynosphinx in a game, she nearly killed my PC (and, if I remember correctly, he was higher level, a barbarian, and better equipped).
So, it's no real suprise that the "better safe than dead, I mean, sorry" philosphy has been appropriated by so many.

In anycase, it's nice to see another writer (whoever wrote this adventure, unless this is your specific doing) that agrees with such a philosophy. :smallsmile:

But, as I consider it, I believe that all parties were expected to answer correctly before the Sphinx responded, producing at least a small amount of suspense, additionally requiring the player that answered incorrectly to out-think themselves (so to speak) before discovering that they could just use the right answer and get through (or fight the Sphinx).

I suspect though, that you were hoping to avoid a rather deadly confrontation so early on by running it the way you did...or you were just getting bored!

Ditto
2008-08-25, 09:25 PM
No worries, I don't plan on attacking you with Invisible Christopher Walkens at every turn. It will be perfectly apparent when you've found a trap. Or a Balor. Or a riddler. The mixed kind might not be as obvious, though... :smallamused:

And bedraggled, good! Now her opinion might stay at Unfriendly. :smalltongue:

Having (approximately) completed your business, you press on to the north. The silty water immediately returns to its previous depth as the tunnel continues. Beyond the path leading to the sphinx, there are no more lanterns, however pathetically guttering those might have been. Dracassan's staff is the light for the sighted now.

At the edge of its light, you can see the passage turn, another left. It's as far ahead as it is behind to the sphinx's grisly pedestal is behind. At the halfway point, a large, circular alcove about 10 feet in diameter extends out from the right side of the hallway. It is covered in the same brackish, calf-deep water as the corridor.

Space-Is-Curved
2008-08-26, 06:57 PM
Korim Naes

Korim wades through the water. With no action to take his mind off of his wet feet, he decided to stay in the front of the rest of the group and check out the alcove. He walks up to it without stepping in and sees if he can see anything obvious. If he sees nothing of interest, he will continue to walk down the hallway until he reaches the corner, which he will look around.

Spot Checks
Alcove [roll0]
Corner, if he sees nothing at the alcove [roll1]

Thrall_Of_Ao
2008-08-27, 12:10 AM
Magnus Bane

Focusing his gaze on Kal and making an "after you" open handed gesture, he said casually, as he waded slowly forward, "I do believe this is your fort'e. I would rather not be the one to discover there was more than just a hidden door...but I am not a man that would ask another to do something he would not".

He'll pause approximately ten feet from the alcove while Kal searched it, or assist any other who attempts to do so if he does not, but will proceed with Kor if there is nothing there of interest.

Search(assist): [roll0]

Wiz
2008-08-27, 10:48 AM
Dracassan

Dracassan holds up his light, illuminating the alcove.

Ditto
2008-08-27, 05:05 PM
The alcove appears quite round. Also, alcove-y. You don't see anything of interest there through the slurry as you wade along on the path.

Unless there's another light source (other than Dracassan's staff), Korim can't see much ahead. The hall only kinks to the left for a few feet before turning right back again, into some area that's more open than the tunnel you're currently in.

((I suppose we should specify that marching order too, now that I think of it... does Korim - Kal - Magnus - Dracassan - Bear sound like it matches what's going on?))

drum-n-bass
2008-08-27, 05:22 PM
(yeah that sounds right)

Wiz
2008-08-28, 11:34 AM
(sounds good)

Space-Is-Curved
2008-08-28, 08:08 PM
Korim Naes

Korim waits at the corner for Dracassan to get closer with his light. When he does, Korim rounds the corner and steps into the open space.
"I can't see much. Too dark over here."
Korim wasn't used to this. He learned to fight on the battlefield, protecting his village. He'd escorted caravans and searched for treasure in forests, but he preferred to stay aboveground. The water and lack of light were starting to bother him.

Thrall_Of_Ao
2008-08-28, 09:01 PM
Magnus Bane

Although he, intellectually, fully understood that such an endeavour, if sucessful, was well worth any discomfort, he could not help but wonder when next they would come upon dry ground.

He resisted the urge to levetate himself above the muck and navigate by the ceiling, sensing intuitively that conservation of their resources would be important to their survival.

"Dracassan, please be so kind as to light our way as we proceed onward," he said, his voice calm but his eyes watchful as he continued forward down the dim tunnel.

((Yes, I suppose that marching order is fine. I'm guessing the tunnel is too narrow for 2 abreast?))

Ditto
2008-08-29, 10:26 AM
((Clarification - 'tis indeed large enough for two abreast, same as all corridors surrounding the crossroads. But the squiggle in the hall ahead isn't big enough. Oh well! I'll describe the room as you guys come up on it and make a little map later today.))

Wiz
2008-08-29, 11:08 AM
Dracassan

Dracassan holds up his staff to light the way.

Ditto
2008-08-30, 10:10 PM
Stepping through the squiggle, you come to a large, water-filled chamber. On the opposite side, you can just make out a set of stairs rising out of the water.
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z54/DittoTOL/Water1.jpg
((The stairs are one square over and five up from the party, just out of your Light. (I rounded.) The squares are about 10 ft. wide, and the color of You corresponds to your speech text.))
Korim-Green
Kal-Orange
Magnus-Red
Dracassan-Purple
Bear-Brown

Space-Is-Curved
2008-09-01, 09:34 AM
Korim Naes

Korim walks five feet forwards and looks around to see if he can see anything unusual.

Spot[roll0]

Ditto
2008-09-01, 08:28 PM
The floor dips an inch or two as you walk into the room, with a layer of algae or something similarly slippery noticable underfoot. You can now see the steps on the far side of the room definitely rise a few feet leading out of the water, and on through an arched doorway into more darkness.

With a roll that low, I'd normally say "Korim spotted his feet," but in this slosh Korim manages to find only more water. Nothing interesting.

Thrall_Of_Ao
2008-09-06, 01:04 AM
Magnus Bane

Looking around at his seemingly hesitant compainions he says "We must move forward if we are to ever recover the artifacts we have been comissioned to reaquire.
Let us proceed."

With that he begins to move forward, but will stop ten feet into the room if no one else follows him, after all, this is a group effort.

Wiz
2008-09-06, 01:34 AM
Dracassan

Dracassan wades forward, his staff held aloft to light the way, moving slowly toward the stairs.

drum-n-bass
2008-09-06, 08:28 AM
Kalimac Brandybuckle

Watching the bigger folk move in he realizes he won't drown to death or have to figure out the swimming thing in three minutes. So Kalimac Brandybuckle sets forth, reminding him of when he set off from his house to go on his first adventure...ah the good old days

Space-Is-Curved
2008-09-06, 09:05 AM
Korim Naes

Korim walks forward through the water with the rest of the group.

Wiz
2008-09-08, 02:33 AM
Dracassan

Approaching the stairs, Dracassan raises the staff to see if he can see anything visible up toward the top.

Ditto
2008-09-11, 02:09 PM
<Sorry I've been quiet a few days... work's crazy busy right now, but I'll have an update shortly. Y'all still around?>

Ditto
2008-09-13, 08:35 PM
As the group drifts forward, Korim discovers there's no further floor beneath his feet past the first 10 feet. (Easy reflex save FTW.) There's ground in those spaces just to either side of the door, at least, since none of the party fell in while entering the room and filling out, but you'll have to check carefully beyond that.

drum-n-bass
2008-09-13, 09:54 PM
<i am going to make a search/spot check to see if i can look find where the path to the stairs is>

[roll0]
[roll1]

Ditto
2008-09-14, 03:32 PM
You cannot see anything below the water's surface. You'll have to be a bit more specific with how you're searching... it's a very wide-open skill.

Space-Is-Curved
2008-09-15, 08:12 PM
Korim Naes

Korim walks around the immediate area to determine where the water remains shallow enough to stand. He will walk slowly and be careful not to walk off of the floor into the deeper water.

Wiz
2008-09-15, 11:23 PM
Dracassan

Dracassan thrusts the flaming end of his staff underwater to illuminate the lip of the depression and see if he can see stepping stones across to the stairs.

Ditto
2008-09-16, 07:06 AM
Based on some slow and careful footwork (in addition to where the party is currently able to stand), Korim has so far discovered that another 20 feet to the left of the door way has shallow flooring but the area just east (‘north’ on this map) does not.

Dracassan’s staff fails to do much more than to lighten the water at his feet. It confirms the area in front of him is not floored. The room is deeply shadowed while the staff is submerged, with very little of the light being allowed to escape back up to illuminate the area.

A few moments after Dracassan withdraws his staff, he thinks he might have felt a slight stir in the water below and ahead of him.

((That’d be squares B1, C1, D1, and E1 = safe, and B2, C2, D2, & E2 with no immediately apparent bottom. If you can figure out those coordinates.))

Space-Is-Curved
2008-09-16, 08:23 PM
Korim Naes

Korim shrugs. "Looks like we're going to have to swim it, unless anyone else has any ideas."

Wiz
2008-09-20, 09:55 PM
Dracassan

Dracassan takes a step back, thrusting his lighted staff out to the side, keeping an eye on the water ahead of him... the idea being that if there is something swimming toward me it may jump at the light which is now a good six feet away to the side. "Ware people... there might be something in the water."