PDA

View Full Version : Neverwinter Nights 2 - multiplayer

Toadie
2008-08-10, 08:43 PM
Hi there :smallwink:

I searched through this section and I couldn't find a mention of this game at all. Or is my search pants?

Anyway what do you think about this game? I have not seen to much of commotion about it and feel like it's gone without notice when appearing on the market. I will not be shocked if this thread will remain epmty after this post :smallbiggrin:

Somebody's playing? What are your opinions?

I think that for a dnd product this one was not advertised enough compared to BG or the first part of NWN. I heard about it two years after it's release but find it good fun. Even some of the multiplayer servers deliver!

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-10, 08:55 PM
Your search is pants, whatever than means. :smallwink: I know that there was a thread regarding it a few days ago, and a week or so before that I started a thread on NWN2 mods, which got little traffic.

But yeah, I've just recently started playing it as well. I would like to get together w/ some GitP people some time to run some adventures. My last inquiry on the subject wasn't regarded though, so I don't think that many are interested.

Toadie
2008-08-10, 09:03 PM
Your search is pants, whatever than means. :smallwink:

It means that my search was rubbish in British terminology:smallwink:

I would be interested to group up with some of GITP folks for adventures, although I have time limits so often I'm not available and totally not flrxible:smallfrown:

shadowxknight
2008-08-10, 09:06 PM
Here's the link to the older thread:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86901

I tried playing NWN2, but it won't work on my computer:smallannoyed:
I'll just have to settle with NWN modules.

Toadie
2008-08-10, 10:02 PM
No worries, I'm more interested in multiplayer than single so, unless the moderator decides otherwise, or the thread will die a natural death we can still upkeep this one up. Browsed the other thread and nothing about it in there. (trying to save my skin:smallbiggrin:)

I'm trying to find a good rp server out there but there are only few of those, most of which are lowly populated ones. I think I found a nice pearl though "Sundren" (www.sundren.org/). Or maybe I'm missing something better?

Squatting_Monk
2008-08-11, 02:02 AM
I personally hate NWN2. Sure, the graphics are nice and it uses 3.5e, but that's about where the good stuff ends. NWN2 abandoned what made NWN so sucessful: an easy-to-use toolset and a solid multiplayer experience. NWN was all about creating modules for your friends and the community at large to play, and that's why it was so successful. NWN2 focuses too much on the single-player aspect of the game.

A lot of that was Atari's fault, I think. They were more worried about making a quick buck than customer satisfaction, so they made Obsidian cut out important parts to speed up production. Hell, it didn't even have the DM Client out of the box. What's more, the rush job resulted in an unstable engine. There's no excuse for the slowness and instability of Obsidian's game when The Witcher uses the same engine with far fewer upgrades and still achieves a better game.

Very disappointing, on the whole.

Tom_Violence
2008-08-11, 05:38 AM
One day I hope to once again have a computer capable of running NWN2, but that might not be for quite some time. When I do, though, my search for a decent low-level RP server will begin again in earnest!

tape_measure
2008-08-21, 05:42 PM
I love it, personally. :smallbiggrin:

Sure the Toolset is tricky, but it only takes a few Read Mes, and a tutorial or 5 to really get it, but once get it, you got it made. Everything falls into place fairly quickly.

The engine isn't so hot right now, but as a previous post pointed out, it came out very quickly. It has some bugs, but it's getting better, too. There are a lot of people figurin gout how to bring old games from NWN1 up to speed with the sequel.

My personal favorite is Battle of the Dragons. It's a capture the flag type of game that is based off the best character build you can come up with. Pretty much hack n' slash at its best.

There are a ton of persistent worlds out, and up and coming. So don't give up on it just yet. There really isn't anyhting around like it, so take it as it comes, and be thankful when it's gone.

if you like, check out a guild I joined a year ago, here (http://nwn.bioware.com/guilds_registry/viewguild.html?gid=15280). We gave up on trying to get multiple people from around the world together once a week, and none of us really had to develop the modules like they needed to be, so turned the page into a hub, of sorts, for people to find new PW's or straight modules. It doesn't beat NWNconnections, but no tmuch can...

Toadie
2008-08-27, 08:14 PM
I moved from Sundren to Baldur's Gate server - it's down from time to time and laggy a bit at times, but so far there are no artificial barriers on it. Besides, FR is FR!:smile:

Interested should go here:
theswordcoast.proboards89.com/index.cgi

Breltar
2008-08-29, 06:15 AM
Sundren, Frontier and most of what are considered 'heavy rp' put artificial barriers on the levels so that folks that are just out for hack and slash do not shoot to high levels without rping at all. Basically it keeps it from becoming an MMO instead of a rpg.

Dragoncoast and Baldurs Gate are considered 'lite rp' servers, meaning that a greater amount of the hack and slash is allowed but you must still remain 'in character' at all times while playing.

I find that the heavy rp servers have good roleplayers but the level of elitism amongst the playerbases can be a bit of a put off. Lite rp servers are a bit more friendly, but it is usually harder to find folks as they are allowed to stay out in those dungeons and do 'laps' to gain xp.

Toadie
2008-08-29, 09:17 PM
Yes well some of them just don't feel like rp'ing until they are strong and powerful. I do a lot of partying and I'm still newbish there as I don't have much time for that, but even doing 'laps' is fun in someway. Some want to be well prepared for rp when it comes to it, not swinging rakes over the town centre.

El_Frenchie
2008-08-30, 09:02 AM
I have yet to play the OC in a coop mode, would anyone be interested in having game sessions on?