PDA

View Full Version : Graymayre: and the mystery of the Neverwinter Nights 2 Multiplayer

Graymayre
2008-08-10, 10:22 PM
Am I the only one who finds the NWN2 Multiplayer a labyrinthine tomb concocted by the foulest denizens of the Cthulhulian Depths?

Everytime I try to go on a server It asks me to travel to their virus riddled website to implant a code that exists strictly in the realms of my own sanity (which is long gone at this point).

I have yet to go online because of this problem (which I never had with the first neverwinter nights game) which is a shame because I was an avvid multiplayer member of the first game.

Does anyone have advice? If so just be sure to pretend I just installed and updated the game (so I do not miss anything).

Thank you for your time.

Toadie
2008-08-10, 10:29 PM
Which server are you trying to access that has a virus infected website?

Most of them have their own client packs that you need to download, but I haven't seen any site with virus implemented on it.

Graymayre
2008-08-10, 10:33 PM
Which server are you trying to access that has a virus infected website?

Most of them have their own client packs that you need to download, but I haven't seen any site with virus implemented on it.

It was more of a sneeze at the fact that all the ones I tried had me go to their website where, even if I did find and download something that may have been what I wanted, I have no clue where to put them. I was even told at some point to download a program that translates the pack. That is either BS on his/her part or simply a sign that I should stop trying before I hit the wrong site.

Toadie
2008-08-10, 10:43 PM
Yes, well downloading is essential in order to run any server. The site's I've been using however have their own installers so I wasn't troubled by where to put it. It all downloaded itself to the right folder.

Before going to the server I checked in game those that are occupied by players (what's the fun to go empty ones?), then read what the server is about and if convinced I played on it. No harm has been done to my computer so far. All packs go to "override" folder in both My documents/Neverwinter folder and Game folder. I can give you a list of the ones I used and were safe to me if you want.

Graymayre
2008-08-10, 10:46 PM
Thanks Toadie, I'm going to lurk around by myself first. If I still have trouble I'll post here.

Once again, thanks.

Graymayre
2008-08-10, 11:02 PM
I found one called necrosis that looks interesting, ever been on it Toadie?

Toadie
2008-08-10, 11:16 PM
I somehow didn't like the background. Horror server? Apocaliptic server?:smalleek:Yup ok sounds original so a + for that, but it's not my type.

When you stay too long in one place a horde of undead you can't possibly beat, starts chasing you. :smallbiggrin: Nah... Adrenaline is fine but not constantly :)

Graymayre
2008-08-10, 11:20 PM
I've been downloading for maybe an hour now and it isn't a quarter finished

Should these packs be Gigs big?

Toadie
2008-08-10, 11:24 PM
Yup. Though seen larger than that. Depends how well developed the server is. When you get in let me know how do you find it.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-10, 11:25 PM
How does joining random NWN2 servers work? I have just always assumed that people just get together some friends and run through the campains. I guess I just dont understand how you can get into the story involved in an adventure if every 20 seconds you have some new guy join you randomly. Or are they usually stricktly PvP or something?

I just dont get it.

Graymayre
2008-08-10, 11:25 PM
Yup. Though seen larger than that. Depends how well developed the server is. When you get in let me know how do you find it.

I'm sorry, find what?

Toadie
2008-08-10, 11:30 PM
Graymayre: I meant how do like the server.

How does joining random NWN2 servers work? I have just always assumed that people just get together some friends and run through the campains. I guess I just dont understand how you can get into the story involved in an adventure if every 20 seconds you have some new guy join you randomly. Or are they usually stricktly PvP or something?

I just dont get it.

Multi NWN2 is like a MMORPG. There is a world of it's own, you have your character, there are quests but no campaign or main plot or something like that. There are live DM's who modify the world every now and then and so you're not getting bored. Some of them are hack'n'slash only to get xp, some of them are RPG that xp bases on completing quests.

The so far most interesting one I saw was Sundren at sundren.org.

Graymayre
2008-08-11, 10:30 AM
I was on the Necrosis server a few times, despite having atleast 30 people in the server at one time no one spoke EVER.

Seriously, I was dieing right across a bridge from a group of people and they just stood there in some kind of stupor. I even used the shout command and not a single person said anything. Plus I have no clue where to get weapons, and it seems to expect me to attack things with a table leg.

Still haven't given up on the server, but I need to have a vastly different experience next time I play.

I'm going to try Sundren

Toadie
2008-08-11, 07:17 PM
I'm new to Sundren myself but the first impression was really good.

Short opinion:

The server is very developed. So well that computer has problems to process all the graphics without slowing down. Sometimes it gets a bit choppy. It doesn't do that on servers like forgottenrealm.ca

I started in a town, but so far had no opportunity to smack anybody in the face (well except a PC halfling waving a short sword in the city:smallbiggrin:), so RP is really the basis there:smallconfused: Hope that being a lettergirl there is not the only way to get some xp.

Found only three areas you can travel to, but the webpage says there are more.

This is what I know so far.

Graymayre
2008-08-11, 09:17 PM
I had a change of plans. I have finally gotten into necrosis and now enjoy it (though its server seems to crash on the hour)

Instead of Sundred, I'm going to try Dragoncoast. This is considering I like big servers and this one seems to have atleast 40 in it all the time.

Toadie
2008-08-11, 09:21 PM
Not when I'm there:smalltongue: Let me know what is it like.