PDA

View Full Version : Adventure idea: "Portals" inspired dungeon

Lord Afro
2008-08-10, 10:47 PM
I had a long adventure idea: A necromancer named Mozuul is looking for strong combatants to test his weapons, armor, and magical items against his...innovative...war "constructs". The adventurers get to keep the stuff.The basic idea is the players are given Mozuul-corp (I'll call it something company, not sure about the something) weapons and armor and are made to sign countless waivers on their life. Then he sends them into the testing grounds with the other test subjects and are surveyed for the effectiveness of Mozuul-corpse (pun intended) armaments and undead soldiers which proven effective, will be sold to kingdoms (it is assumed necromancy is either legal or tolerated in said kingdoms) by Mozuul. The overall tone will be like the game "portals", and yes, Mozuul can scry and Message spell his test subjects like gladys has her speakers, and he won't let them out. It's legal, in the contracts. They just have to reach the end of the test. And Mozuul also makes golems, too.

expirement10K14
2008-08-10, 11:56 PM
I had a long adventure idea: A necromancer named Mozuul is looking for strong combatants to test his weapons, armor, and magical items against his...innovative...war "constructs". The adventurers get to keep the stuff.The basic idea is the players are given Mozuul-corp (I'll call it something company, not sure about the something) weapons and armor and are made to sign countless waivers on their life. Then he sends them into the testing grounds with the other test subjects and are surveyed for the effectiveness of Mozuul-corpse (pun intended) armaments and undead soldiers which proven effective, will be sold to kingdoms (it is assumed necromancy is either legal or tolerated in said kingdoms) by Mozuul. The overall tone will be like the game "portals", and yes, Mozuul can scry and Message spell his test subjects like gladys has her speakers, and he won't let them out. It's legal, in the contracts. They just have to reach the end of the test. And Mozuul also makes golems, too.

That is actually a great idea. I may have to steal it....

Is this a modern setting?

Lord Afro
2008-08-11, 10:20 AM
That is actually a great idea. I may have to steal it....

Is this a modern setting?

I was thinking regular DnD 3.5, but a bit steampunk. Modern would work great, but i don't have the books. I'm planning on writing the whole thing out though, so wait up.

P.S. I was thinking also a bit like "the world's largest dungeon", but with undead.

batsofchaos
2008-08-11, 10:33 AM
It leads to the question of the ages...

...Is the Weighted Companion Cube an object, or a construct?

chiasaur11
2008-08-11, 10:54 AM
It leads to the question of the ages...

...Is the Weighted Companion Cube an object, or a construct?

It is not alive and will not speak to you in any way.
Therefore, since we should ignore anything it does say, it is an object.

expirement10K14
2008-08-11, 11:11 AM

I would make it an intelligent item with a very high ego score.

batsofchaos
2008-08-11, 11:49 AM

Just goes to show that your companion cube didn't stab you.

Randel
2008-08-11, 06:15 PM
If this is 4th edition, a few ideas (I haven't played portal but I think a DnD equivelent would involve alot of teleporting and puzzle-like traps):

1) If some of the players can teleport through racial powers (like shadar-kai or eladrin) then have small holes in the wall about an inch across that they can see through and then teleport to the other side. Could make for some interesting tactical stuff or be a way to split up the team a little. Or have portable magic items that allow short-range teleportaion as an encounter power.

2) Eyes of Warning set up around the place that emit a noise when they spot the players. This alerts monsters trained to come at the sound of the noise. If the players can disable the eyes before they set off alerts then they can get past. Or alternatively use Ghost Sound to imitate the alert and summon the monsters into a trap.

3) Several traps that play off characters expectations. Like a room with big iron doors and switches on the side. The switches summon nasty stuff or trigger traps while the doors can be easily opened. Also, big yellow arrows that lead right into heavily trapped areas. Buttons that say 'don't touch!' and trigger traps. and one big shiney red button that reads "History Eraser"

DigoDragon
2008-08-12, 07:28 AM
I'm imagining animated autocrossbows on tripods. :smallbiggrin:
"Where are you? There you are!"

chiasaur11
2008-08-12, 01:46 PM
Just goes to show that your companion cube didn't stab you.

You weren't ignoring it hard enough.
If you do, it deflects bullets away from your face to try to win your approval.
Which it can't do because it isn't alive.