PDA

View Full Version : Guide to Making Avatars with Adobe Illustrator

Pages : 1 [2]

Nazde Bahatur
2007-10-27, 09:30 AM
...I'm sad.:smallfrown:

Omega
2007-12-07, 07:45 PM
I've read Peregrine's Guide to Making Avatars with Sodipodi and Irfanview, but still can't get Sodipodi to work. What did I do wrong? :smallfrown: :smallconfused:

Ego Slayer
2007-12-07, 07:52 PM
How exactly does it "not work"? :smallconfused:

Omega
2007-12-07, 07:58 PM
When I click to pull up the program it replies: "This application has failed to start because zlib-1.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Adghar
2007-12-24, 02:21 PM
You can't fill in inkscape. You have to make 'objects', such as the head, and change its colour. So you have to draw the entirety of the hair not just a line.

Alternatively, you could copy the fleshy circle, paste it, and use point/path selection to mash it into a hairline-style hair style. I would visually still prefer to draw the hair, but this way works as well. In Illustrator you use direct selection, which is the white cursor, but I dunno what it translates to in Inkscape.

When I click to pull up the program it replies: "This application has failed to start because zlib-1.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
Did you follow this step: 8. Make a copy of the file zlib.dll and name it zlib-1.dll

Also, excuse me for the necroaccountomancy and necrothreadomancy. I dunno if there are any rules now against replying to 2 week+ old stickies, but if there are, I am truly sorry and will absolve my sins in blood. Cheers!

Ego Slayer
2007-12-25, 01:12 AM
Also, excuse me for the necroaccountomancy and necrothreadomancy. I dunno if there are any rules now against replying to 2 week+ old stickies, but if there are, I am truly sorry and will absolve my sins in blood. Cheers!
ZOMG.

Where have you been?! =O *throws self at in a big hug and doesn't let go* >.<
No rules for stickythreadomancy. :smalltongue:

Adghar
2007-12-25, 01:44 AM
ZOMG.

Where have you been?! =O *throws self at in a big hug and doesn't let go* >.<
No rules for stickythreadomancy. :smalltongue:

I dunno. A while ago I decided forums were making me procrastinate, so I thought not going to them would fix the problem, but I'm starting to visit them again, so I dunno. I suppose I will have to find a new way to get myself to stop procrastinating, like instilling that old habit of work before play. Unfortunately, it's winter vacation, so it'll be hard to test such a process right now.

Thread hijacking detected. Switch to PM mode? Or just stop talking; I'm not a very interesting topic.

Attempt to stay on topic: Does anyone have a good method they use for shading in Illustrator or other vector programs? I once tried copying, removing stroke, and direct selecting, but that made unpleasant overlap on the object that was supposed to have stroke. Also, given that I have taken no art classes but am still interested on the topic of shading, does anyone have tips to make the shading realistic (other than don't pillow)?

Thamir
2008-01-14, 05:00 AM
How's mine look?

North
2008-01-15, 04:35 AM
Using amorellis instructions Ive managed to cobble together an avatar.

So the next step is export it as a bitmap.

But how do I open it in GIMP? I cant find it...

Im using Inkscape by the way.

Om
2008-01-15, 05:30 PM
Does anyone know how to fit text to a shape using either Inkscape or GIMP? I'm looking for an effect like this:

http://www.indiecult.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/rodchenko.jpg

(That is, the cone of text coming from the woman's mouth)

@North: Use the "File>Export Bitmap" option to save the image to your directory (make sure to include .bmp at the end of the file name). After that its just a matter of opening the file what whatever program you want.

Mysticaloctopus
2008-01-16, 11:08 AM
Fitting it to a simple shape, like that cone, could be done by stretch/skew. I don't use the GIMP or inkscape, so I can't tell you exactly how, but it's doable in photoshop by dragging the edges of the selection after it's rasterised. More complex shapes, I dunno.

Mingchan
2008-01-29, 02:55 AM
I ahve a problem. I've downloaded everything, but when i try to run it, this meassage pops up instead:

The procedure entry point g_module_open_utf8 could not be located in the dynamic link library libgmodule-2.0-0.dll.

Can someone please explain?

Lionpawheart
2008-02-08, 10:59 PM
Woah, that's confusing... Is there a way to do it using just Photshop? That's kind of all I have...:smallfrown:
And hey Om, that sign is in Russian. where did you get it?

Om
2008-02-09, 06:33 AM
And hey Om, that sign is in Russian. where did you get it?Its an avant-garde graphic design by Alexander Rodchenko using his portrait of Lilya Brik. It should pop up whenever you do a Google image search for either of those. Generally I'm not a fan of art but Russian/Soviet avant-garde is definitely the exception

And I did get my problem sorted in the end. Unfortunately Mysticaloctopus' advise didn't help but I got a result by using the Effects>Modify Path>Perspective tool in Inkscape

Love2spoge
2008-03-06, 12:52 PM
Wow nice Guide
thx...:smallsmile:

sheepofoblivion
2008-03-21, 11:27 PM
Awesome guide! I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Flash animator! I know (or at least I think...) that avatars shouldn't be animated, it's just that I've become attached to Flash's layout and tools. I was wondering if anyone had any helpful hints. I've made 2 or so, without much success...

I was also wondering if anyone just has helpful hints for all applications

(sorry if someone already posted something like this...)

Citizen Joe
2008-04-04, 03:08 PM
RE: GIMP

Transparent background...
1. Create your image, at this point the background is not important.
2. This image may be many layers stacked on top of each other.
3. Select Layers -> create new layer -> transparency -> same size as image (default).
4. Select Dialogues -> Layers (or just CTRL-L) to bring up the layers dialogue box.
5. In the Layers dialog, select the lower layers that you are actually working on.
6. Use whatever selection tool you like to outline your image.
7. Select Edit -> Copy VISIBLE
8. in layers dialog select the transparency layer you just made
9. select Edit -> Paste
10. Anchor the pasted image, usually just by clicking off the selection.
11. in Layer dialog, click the eyeballs on all but your transparency layer to toggle them off.
12. If the image is correct save first as an xcf file (so you can edit it later) and then as a .gif (which allows transparencies).

Stretching text....
1. Use Text tool to write out text at the largest size... i.e. the fat size of the deformed letters.
2. use Rectangular regions selection tool to select the area around the text
3. use Change Perspective (Shift P) tool on selection to pull corners of rectangle and deform the text into the desired shape.

ImpFireball
2008-04-22, 02:16 AM
This is all incredibly simple advice, now if only I could draw with a computer pencil! Arrr...

Yhynens
2008-05-12, 12:18 PM
This is my first time posting but I've been lurking around for a couple years probably.
Anyway, I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before but google isn't giving me any results. My laptop recently broke, and now that it's up to speed I want to put sodipodi back on it. I installed gimp and found a copy of just gtk+ for the libraries, but when I attempt to run the sodipodi installation file it says "GTK+ library not found. Please download and install it from http://dropline.net/gtk/"
But when I go there it redirects me to the GIMP page, which I already installed. I've tried a few things, like putting the install file in the same folder and the necessary library files and running it, but it seems to be unable to realize I've installed gtk+ already no matter what I do. Has anyone else run into this problem? Does anyone know a good way to fix it or get around it?

Selene
2008-06-08, 06:38 AM
Yay! Thank you for the tutorials! :smallbiggrin: The Inkscape one was especially full of awesome. :smallcool:

Levyathyn
2008-06-15, 12:30 AM
Alright, I made my first avatar. I know it sucks, but I figure someone'll get a good laugh out of it. =)

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/Levyathyn/Rodney.gif

Unfortunately, I made it a tad too big, but it's the first ever I've made and the first time I've used illustrator, so I should get better soon.

EDIT: Alright, I made a second this morning. I think it's a little better, let me know:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/Levyathyn/Fighter.gif

Either way, I made it perfect size. It ened up 110x120, an it fit well. Hair is not my friend.

khiolis
2008-09-01, 07:14 PM
Here's my first attempt at it using Inkscape:

http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs36/f/2008/245/3/9/Starstruck_by_khiolis.png

Not humanoid yet, but it's a start!

Goldor
2008-10-20, 11:51 PM
Hey, I tried making my first custom avatar just now!

I don't know if it looks good, but its a start! :smallbiggrin:

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp42/Goldor3256/GoldorAvatar.gif

EDIT: Upgrade! Now with hair, cape and improved robe and belt!

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp42/Goldor3256/GoldorAvatar2.gif

Selene
2008-10-23, 12:59 AM
Well, I like it - especially the upgrade version. Nice job. :smallsmile:

Goldor
2008-10-23, 11:00 PM
Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

I already had some experience with Photoshop, but I never actually played around Illustrator. I thought that creating an avatar would be a great opportunity to gain some insight in the program.

I must say that you have made a fine avatar yourself. :smallwink:

Selene
2008-10-24, 01:43 AM
Thanks. :smallsmile: I don't have Illustrator, so I did mine in Inkscape.

Goldor
2008-10-24, 11:17 AM
Did it take a long time to get around the learning curve or is Inkspace enough user friendly for you to be able to get a hold of it quickly?

I'm wondering, because if it is a free program, it must be slightly more difficult to learn the basics... As it is for me to learn blender, which is a free 3D program, for example.

How much time did it take you to make your avatar? I took approximately an hour and a half, because I had to learn how Illustrator worked at the same time. It took surprisingly less time than I thought to come with a satisfying result.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-10-24, 11:23 AM
Inkscape is pretty easy, especially if you use trazoi's guide.
Depending on the levels of details, making a avatar can range from 10 min to 1 1/2 hours.

For me that is.

Selene
2008-10-25, 05:17 PM
I also thought Inkscape was pretty easy. I don't remember how long it took me to finish my avatar, but it couldn't have been more than a couple hours. And I did follow the guide.

I haven't found a strong correlation between price and ease of use with software. Blender is insane to learn, but so are Max and Maya, which cost thousands. That leaves me modeling mostly in Hexagon (which cost me $1.99). LOL. It's usually just whichever interface clicks for me. In my case, it's Photoshop over PSP, Poser over DAZ Studio (free), and Vue over Bryce or Carrara. But plenty of people hate the ones I like, and love the ones I uninstalled. I say, if it's free, try it. The worst that happens is you end up uninstalling it.

Iskariot
2008-12-14, 03:21 AM
I've got a wee bit of trouble with my avatar. Last I was on these board, I used the one I currently have, and it was crystal clear, rather than blurry. Similarly, in my photobucket, the avatar appears perfectly clear. I'm bemused.

rickjthree
2009-02-19, 10:05 PM
Silly, but perhaps simple question. Why are folks using Inkscape to draw avatars instead of GIMP? Granted, I'm a n00b at this, but it looks like GIMP has all the same tools.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-02-19, 10:59 PM
Here's my first attempt at it using Inkscape:

http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs36/f/2008/245/3/9/Starstruck_by_khiolis.png

Not humanoid yet, but it's a start!

Was that intentional? Tell me it wasn't...the pun HURTS.

Dispozition
2009-02-20, 12:30 AM
Silly, but perhaps simple question. Why are folks using Inkscape to draw avatars instead of GIMP? Granted, I'm a n00b at this, but it looks like GIMP has all the same tools.

GIMP, to the best of my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong) isn't a vector program, it's raster like Photoshop.

rickjthree
2009-02-20, 11:24 AM
GIMP, to the best of my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong) isn't a vector program, it's raster like Photoshop.

Ahh - and that would be why I was getting the jagged circles and stuff in GIMP. I had problems using Inkscape with my tablet (which is why I was trying to do it in GIMP), but some googling got me the patches to GTK so now I'm in business.

Thanks!

Kyronea
2009-03-21, 08:08 AM
Okay, so, I'm actually using Paint.NET, but I need a bit of advice on drawing curly hair. I can do the other hair styles pretty well(apart from something like Sabine's hair, but my guess is that just needs an airbrushing tool) but my curly hair looks...bad.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/PIcaRDMPC/NOTcurly.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/PIcaRDMPC/maybecurly.png

Here's two different examples of what I mean. What I use to draw hair--and pretty much everything else--is simple line tools, but I can't seem to get something that really looks curly with a line tool all that easily, or at least not anything that looks like actual curly hair.

Perhaps I just need an example or two...I don't know. Whatever exactly I need, thank you in advance for your help.

Selene
2009-03-22, 04:21 PM
Is there an image of what you're going for in the comic? I can't think of anyone with curly hair other than Sabine.

Does Paint.net have spiral thingies? (scroll up and look at the spiral shape in khiolis's image with the star) It might work to use a bunch of those.

Kyronea
2009-03-22, 06:23 PM
Is there an image of what you're going for in the comic? I can't think of anyone with curly hair other than Sabine.

Does Paint.net have spiral thingies? (scroll up and look at the spiral shape in khiolis's image with the star) It might work to use a bunch of those.

I was trying to make a friend of mine who has curly hair in the style of Order of the Stick. I'll look up the spiral thingie...if it doesn't have it as a base, I can probably get a plugin for it. :smallsmile:

BisectedBrioche
2009-03-22, 07:07 PM
I've drawn curly hair a few times by starting with a solid block to form the bulk of the hair and then drawing coils coming out of it with the Vector Path Tool, if that helps.

Kyronea
2009-03-27, 11:30 PM
That did help, yes.

I now have another question, though I already suspect the answer...I'm looking at the main OOTS comic, and I'm noticing that everything is anti-aliased wonderfully together. I've been thinking about tossing together a stick figure comic for my friends, and I've been working on a few templates here and there, testing them out, though when I copy them over, the anti-aliasing on them classes with everything and it looks bad. Obviously, what I need to do is apply an anti-aliasing effect to everything, but what effect do I apply that isn't a blur?

The only thing I can think of is a feather--of which there are several plug-ins for Paint.NET for--and they do work, but I have to do it all individually on all the different objects. What would be nice is if there was a way to do it all at once that, as I said, isn't a blur? So...is there such a way? Because if I try a feather effect on, say, a template, only the edges get feathered and anything inside does not. I drew all my templates with one pixel thickness so I could anti-alias them, but it's beginning to really frustrate me.

EDIT: Nevermind. The answer is almost stupidly obvious: you draw the templates anti-aliased, and then apply a feather to each layer as you assemble a comic strip, and it blends perfectly. (Leaving the post here so people can learn from it.)

75animerox
2012-06-07, 03:22 PM
what is the easiest program to use?

averagejoe
2012-06-08, 05:05 PM
The Mod They Call Me: Thread necromancy.