PDA

View Full Version : 4e "Student of Battle" feat

Kajorma
2008-08-11, 11:47 AM
Quick question on the interpretation of Student of Battle...

The feat says you can use the Warlord's "Inspiring Word" once per day.

Inspiring Word is a warlod Encounter ability that allows you to perform two heals as minor actions (but not both in the same round)

The question is: "Does the once per day limiter mean that you can only cast one heal, or that you can cast two heals, but in only one encounter per day?"

Opinions are welcome, but what I'm looking for are sources/references. Thanks in advance for any help.

Starsinger
2008-08-11, 11:51 AM
"You can use this power once per day."

batsofchaos
2008-08-11, 12:02 PM
I would say once per day only. The power is defined as an encounter power but has the special descriptor that says it can be used twice per encounter by a Warlord. Student of Battle says you can use the power once per day. This pretty much makes the power into a daily power for the character, so the special descriptor would be overridden as well.

The New Bruceski
2008-08-11, 12:02 PM
Specific trumps general. Usually you can use it twice per encounter, but the feat specifies once per day.

Nekoshodan
2008-08-11, 12:27 PM
I read that you can use "it" once per day.

"it" gives you 2 heals.

Therefore using "it" once per day gives you 2 heals in the encounter you use it in

Charity
2008-08-11, 12:39 PM
Not so, the power is only usable once per day you can choose to mis-interpret it if you wish.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2008-08-11, 12:46 PM
As per the most accurate of interpretations possible: Warlord's can use Inspiring Word twice per encounter.
A person with the Student of Battle feat, can use Inspiring Word once per day. When you take a multiclass feat you do not actually become that class, options of that class most certainly become open to you, but you still require more feats to get anything from that other class.

Best way to interpret it, there is no multiclassing, just feats that grant you abilities from other classes. A Warlord can use it twice per day, if you have this feat, you most certainly are not a warlord, you are just imitating one.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-08-11, 01:18 PM
Would you do the same with the Cleric MC feat? I think this interpretation makes both of these base MC feats far underpowered in comparison to the others.

Personally, I'd go with:

Inspiring Word Warlord Feature
You call out to a wounded ally and offer inspiring words of courage
and determination that helps that ally heal.

Daily (Special) ✦ Martial, Healing
Special: You can use this power twice per day, but only once per round. At 16th level, you can use inspiring word three times per day.

Minor Action Close burst 5
(10 at 11th level, 15 at 21st level)

Target: You or one ally in burst

Effect: The target can spend a healing surge and regain an additional 1d6 hit points.

The amount of additional hit points regained is 2d6 at 6th level, 3d6 at 11th level, 4d6 at 16th level, 5d6 at 21st level, and 6d6 at 26th level.

All I did was replace "encounter" with "day" in the original power description. That seems like a fair way to read the power, and it allows you to actually use the darn power.

1of3
2008-08-11, 01:31 PM
When asked CustServ confirmed it's once per day once per day only.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-08-11, 01:39 PM

After spending time on the WotC boards, I've grown to deeply distrust CustServ answers. :smalltongue:

I suppose you can go that way, but I think it unnecessarily penalizes Warlord/Cleric MCs for long days, since everyone else gets a 1/encounter, at least. I'm not trying to get in a fight, but I'm just putting out my thoughts. :smallsmile:

Kajorma
2008-08-11, 03:01 PM

Thanks. That's useful.
It seems I'm not the only one to misinterpret the feat, but it looks like most people are going with just one heal.
It does make the feat a lot less powerful, but then, it still allows a striker to throw out a heal as a minor action, so I'd still call it a very nice ability.

Andras
2008-08-11, 03:33 PM
Not so, the power is only usable once per day you can choose to mis-interpret it if you wish.

Well, it really depends on what the definition of it is...

:smalltongue:

Rockphed
2008-08-11, 03:56 PM
Well, it really depends on what the definition of it is...

:smalltongue:

Hey! No dragging politics in here.

I like OH's interpretation, but the Custserve answer does have the weight of officiality behind it. Aw, well.

Yakk
2008-08-11, 04:07 PM
When multiclassing, you generally get:
An at-will power of the other class, usable once per encounter
or
Something rarer than an at-will, usable once per day.

You'll notice that Inspiring Word isn't at-will. Thus making it a per-encounter power is not a good idea -- it makes the feat too good.

Edea
2008-08-11, 05:08 PM
I'd...kinda like them to expand on their Initiate feats.

Something like talent trees, to be honest; you would be able to take more of those types of feats (not the power swap feats, the feats specifically designed for the classes themselves), assign to each of those feats progressively more stringent requirements (and new tiers), but in return grant more and more abilities of the classes they're attached to.

So, the first feat of the tree (in this case Student of Battle) would only give it once per day, but then as you took more Warlord Initiate feats, the number of times per day/encounter would improve (along with other attributes of that multiclass choice).

Kurald Galain
2008-08-11, 05:50 PM
Well, it's not a given that all multiclassing feats should work in the exact same fashion or be exactly on the same power level. And indeed they're not. It's blatantly clear from the wording that it's once per day, not "one usage equals two usages", and just because custserv was occasionally wrong years back doesn't mean you can keep using their mistakes to invalidate everything they say.