PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Replacement for Ranger's Animal Companion

Telonius
2008-08-11, 12:03 PM
In an attempt to streamline combat for a beginning player, I'm attempting to come up with a good replacement for the Ranger's Animal Companion. I'm toying with the idea of granting either a bonus feat from the Fighter list, an additional Favored Enemy, or an additional Combat Style Feat (Oversized TWF or Precise Shot) in its place. Do these options sound reasonable? Do you have any other suggestions for replacement abilities?

Spiryt
2008-08-11, 12:05 PM
Indeed, they all seem good to me. Although bonus feat may be considered a bit too strong. The rest are good.

There's always a variant from PHII though.

expirement10K14
2008-08-11, 12:06 PM
In an attempt to streamline combat for a beginning player, I'm attempting to come up with a good replacement for the Ranger's Animal Companion. I'm toying with the idea of granting either a bonus feat from the Fighter list, an additional Favored Enemy, or an additional Combat Style Feat (Oversized TWF or Precise Shot) in its place. Do these options sound reasonable?

One in PHB2 was that you can flank with ranged weapons, or something to that effect. Bonus feat is a bit underpowered, an additional favored enemy could work. I believe there are some UA variants that you can find at d20srd.org, ill check.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-11, 12:06 PM
Additional Combat Style would be good, especially if you pick one that doesn't suck. However, there is a PHBII variant that allows you to flank alone instead of getting an AC. Never tried it, but could be good.

Spiryt
2008-08-11, 12:12 PM
Variant is really good when you have a rogue(s) in party and have archer feats. Shot anyone who is close to rogue and voila, sneak attack.

But is quite fine in melee too.

Eldariel
2008-08-11, 12:13 PM
Yea, PHBII has Distracting Attack - makes all opponents you've struck count as Flanked until the end of round or when they're next attacked. A feat from a restricted list would be about on par with the Companion. Ultimately though, Distracting Attack tends to be solid enough.

Telonius
2008-08-11, 12:13 PM
Ah, PHB2! I knew there were some other variants running around, couldn't find them elsewhere. Thanks, I'll check that one out. If it's not too "complicated," I'll probably use that instead.

I'm kind of leaning away from the extra favored enemy in any case, since Ranger gets another one at level 5. Two levels in a row with the same kind of bonus isn't very elegant, even if it's balanced.

Epinephrine
2008-08-11, 12:17 PM
The "solitary hunter" variant is popular; in exchange for ditching the AC, you get your favoured enemy bonus to hit as well as damage. Very solid boost for fighting favoured enemies.

There's also a "spirit companion" variant, in which you receive help on certain skills in natural settings.

Meat Shield
2008-08-11, 01:55 PM
I had a druid in my group that did not want an animal companion - rather he wanted a familiar. In game play it worked out just fine for us, and certainly did not raise the power level of the character. So I see no reason that it would not work for a ranger also. Just treat the creature as a familiar in all respects (as a mage of level minus four)

Siegel
2008-08-11, 02:04 PM
I had a druid in my group that did not want an animal companion - rather he wanted a familiar. In game play it worked out just fine for us, and certainly did not raise the power level of the character. So I see no reason that it would not work for a ranger also. Just treat the creature as a familiar in all respects (as a mage of level minus four)

I think he wants to make it less bookkeeping for his player so an 'aditional charakter' who is just 'different' from an AC but still an 'additional charakter' doesn't help.

More spells maybee (but this is aditional bookkepping as well... mh)

Epinephrine
2008-08-11, 02:59 PM
The spiritual guide variant is from Complete Champion, btw.

Stormageddon
2008-08-11, 03:01 PM

If I was the DM I would have told the druid to get his already over power A@$ out of here.

I think a bonus feat from the fighters list would be fine.

Burley
2008-08-11, 03:07 PM
I suggest anything from ether Unearthed Arcana (not really too appealing, IMO) or from PHBII (Distracting Attack, as stated, is really run for a ranged focused archer with his many shot junks).
Be careful homebrewing anything, because the powerlevels will most likely not match up. Animal companions get better with each Ranger level, but eventually lose their usefulness, and the Ranger will probably swap out animal companions to suit their mood as often as they can afford to. (I knew of a PC who would keep a small, cute, portable animal for 85% of the time, and swap it with a bear when he knew he'd have to fight and wanted time to prepare.)

Telonius
2008-08-11, 03:18 PM
In a powergame situation, I'd be concerned with that as well, but this is for a very new player. Switching out animal companions would not be on the radar in any case; both the player and the character are really big on loyalty, and the game will probably end by level 15. I'm really just looking for something that's going to be approximately as useful as a flanking buddy/occasional extra damage dealer. The PHB 2 variant sounds like the best bet so far, I'll read up more about it when I get home to my books.

I did check out Unearthed Arcana, and both Planar and Urban Ranger still have the animal companion progression.

Spiryt
2008-08-11, 03:22 PM
It's not that Ranger is very abusable class. Also, none of those proposed abilities break game in any manner.

The "solitary hunter" variant is popular; in exchange for ditching the AC, you get your favoured enemy bonus to hit as well as damage. Very solid boost for fighting favoured enemies.

This is indeed interestig. Make ranger even more dependant on meeting certain foes, but if he meets them it's like HUGE bonus.