PDA

View Full Version : Truely Evil Traps

BizzaroStormy
2008-08-11, 12:45 PM
Now we've al heard of the sphere of annihilation in the door's mouth but what other devious traps have you DMs set before you? The worst I can recall was a potion of Inflict Critical Wounds. The thing was sitting on a pedestal, in the middle of a room, right in front of the treasure vault. Now normally this would just scream "Trap" but no, the fighter who was wounded from the last battle, ran up, drank the potion thinking it was a healing potion and died right there at -17 HP.

MammonAzrael
2008-08-11, 12:53 PM
A personal favorite of an old DM I used to play with:

Your group enters a room (it's typically 8 to 10 squares...square). As the last of you enters, the doors behind you slam shut, and loudly lock. on the other end of the room are large steel double-doors. In the center of the room are 5 switches in various states. Flipping a switch summons a "level-appropriate monster here."

The double doors on the other end, if checked, aren't trapped. In fact, they aren't even locked. All you have to door is turn the knob and open the door.

It's amazing how many adventurers don't give the handle a try and assume the switches are needed to open the doors. :smallbiggrin:

Crow
2008-08-11, 01:23 PM
My favorite was two portcullis traps that are triggered to prevent exit from an area, followed by the entire area's floor collapsing into a spiked pit. Worked great in long hallways.

arguskos
2008-08-11, 01:54 PM
A conductive metal room, roughly 40 feet to a side. The roof opens up to reveal a thunderstorm outside, and a metal spike rises from the floof into the sky, acting as a lightning rod.

To make things worse, the room begins to fill with water from grates on the ground level, until it's roughly 3 feet deep. The only way to open the locked, trapped door is to find all 4 parts of the key inside the grates on the ground, but be warned! There are 8 grates, 4 have key parts, 4 have dangerous traps.

That one is from a friend of mine, who said it was the worst trap he'd ever dealt with. :smallcool:

-argus

Swordguy
2008-08-11, 01:54 PM
In the Lankhmar Campaign setting, there is a particular adventure, in which you have to penetrate a tomb filled with nasty traps to get at a dead spellcaster and master trapsmith's loot.

The trap in question is a 100' long, 10' wide hallway, with an indentation in the floor exactly halfway through. There is nothing to differentiate this hallway from any other hallway in the complex, except for the indentation. A Detect Life spell with a 5' radius was cast on a small pebble inside this indentation. This is the trap trigger. If life is detected in this area, the trap goes off, with the following effect:

Take your hands and place them (with the thumb and forefinger at a 90-degree angle) right over left, so the 2 right angles form a square (thumbtip to thumbtip, and the thumbtips should meet in the lower left corner of the square). This is the cross-section of the corridor. Now, slide your right hand over your left hand, and rotate the square 90 degrees to the left (so your thumbtips would be on the lower right corner), and bring the webbing of your thumbs together in the center while you do.

This is the action of the corridor. Anything inside the corridor is squeezed out the ends in a liquid mess with no saving throw (no damage rating, you're just dead) unless you're 5' from the ends - in which case you would make a Dex check (REF save now) to jump back or have a body part lopped off by the closing action.

Swordguy
2008-08-11, 02:06 PM
From one of the old Tomb of Horrors threads...

[Quote: Originally Posted by UglyPanda] View Post
The CoC and/or Tomb of Horrors veteran
Race: Human
Believes everything is a trap, every piece of gold is cursed, and every NPC is out to kill him. Usually ends up carrying equipment equal to a fifth of his wealth by level since he refuses to grab any items retrieved in dungeons.
Alignment: NG

Hey! Let's see YOU go through Tomb of Horrors and pretend like it didn't bother you, like things can go back to normal. In ToH paranoia isn't just a good idea - it's the law.

Sample ToH Encounter EL "9" (bull).

Player 1: "I inhale... There isn't a trap on the air, right?"
DM: "Wrong, make a fortitude save vs. poison. Is it a natural 20? Too bad."
Player 2: "Gahh! I hold my breath and cast remove poison on Player 1!"
DM: "Devil Monkeys fly out of the rear end of the statue in the center of the room and counterspell your remove poison using advanced laser technology. Also you turn into a flounder."
Player 2: "What the f-"
DM: "And explode."

Eldariel
2008-08-11, 02:10 PM
The worst I've had thus was a trap that moved a dungeon into a demiplane we couldn't planeshift out of (apparently some kind of massive Dimensional Lock - too high dispel DC too). I think those characters are still there.

insecure
2008-08-11, 02:43 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79135) is the most awesome'n'evil'n'magnificient'n'cunning'n'annoying 'n'frustrating trap I've ever seen.

D_Lord
2008-08-11, 03:09 PM
This isn't a trap per say but it is evil.
A little toy. It looks like a small top. It is colored orange. If you spin it, well....

It will rip your soul out and send it to a plane filled with books and rabbits and the books try to feed you until you go boom, and the rabbits sing the cute song while eating your feet and they never stop singing it. Oh and the books are all pink.

I think I had too much chocolate that day when I came up with this, or was I just hyper on my own. Oh well. It doesn't matter to me.
Let the madness eat your corn!!!

FatherMalkav
2008-08-11, 03:10 PM
Not a deadly trap, but a memorable one.

We were in the Ruins of Undermountain and i don't know if this was a DM trap or canon but we came up to a door that was slightly ajar. The rogue was gone so this session we used the 'meat shield' trap finding system. The dwarven cleric in mountain plate walks up and opens a the door followed by a bucket of cold water splashing over him. We stand there, looks of disbelief on our faces and the DM laughs. Just as we start to mock the trap we hear from the far end of the hallway the door had led to a the *zzzzt* of electricity bouncing from wall to wall.

Siosilvar
2008-08-11, 03:14 PM
Relevant link: http://www.thievesguild.cc/traps/

evisiron
2008-08-11, 05:11 PM
I was placed The Order of the Stick trap (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0036.html), removing Roy and adding a "You are here" sticker in his place.

The lucky player only dodged a single spear, but it was enough to get through it on -7. :smallbiggrin:

Hal
2008-08-11, 05:22 PM
My favorite "traps" just require the players to think their way out.

What worked well for me? Theseus and the Minotaur (http://www.logicmazes.com/theseus.html) and the Twisty Maze (http://www.logicmazes.com/twisty.html).

My players were ready to kill me, but after they finally figured it out, they appreciated the challenge, as well as the departure from "Oh, I rolled a 20, I win." I did, however, let them make Int checks for hints.

Glawackus
2008-08-11, 05:26 PM
A hallway full of pressure plates. No spikes if you step on anything, no big crushing boulder if you step wrong...just pressure plates.

I haven't got enough of a tainted soul to actually do this to any of my groups.

Enlong
2008-08-11, 05:39 PM
A hallway full of pressure plates. No spikes if you step on anything, no big crushing boulder if you step wrong...just pressure plates.

I haven't got enough of a tainted soul to actually do this to any of my groups.

Oooh! I almost did this one myself. But I had a twist on it. Just pressure plates: no darts, no spikes, no boulders, but just far apart enough to dodge. Then, covering the handle sunken into the big stone door? Crystal Scorpion Venom.

Another fun trap I actually put into a dungeon was this: On either side of the room there are two identical stone doors. The same magical gem bypasses a Wall of Force and opens either door. The door on the right? Magical darkness with a hidden door on one side. The door on the left? Identical magical darkness with a pressure plate that dumps you into an antlion pit. Fun times.

Viddaric
2008-08-11, 05:44 PM
not the most evil trap ever, but still pretty evil... there is an unopenable gate inside a cave or dungon, and a lever/button near by (perhaps saying "press/pull to open) and if the players press or pull the trigger, then a trapdoor opens a few yards away on the ceiling and a boulder falls out, and starts rolling towards the PC's. they are in a tight hallway, and the the only appearant way out is the gate, so the players start searching for secret doors or a way to get the gate open (which is imposible) about 5 seconds before the boulder (which either heavy dammage due to squashification or instant death, and is also indestructable and moving too fast to redirect) hits, the gate opens silently. this means everyone has to make a spot check, and because they are looking for hidden things, there is little chance of sucess. if they don't see the door open, they get flattened. if they do, they can proceed through it unhindered, then must turn a corner (due to a pit just about 15' after the gate) and if everyone made it through the door and arround the corner, the boulder falls into the pit, and the adventurers are unharmed. nice fakeout trap, I must say
I actualy got this idea from Half life 2: deathmatch. someone made a map that actualy had this trap, accept instead of a pit, the boulder just disapears.

Enlong
2008-08-11, 05:47 PM
Here's a hypothetical one. A button in the center of an empty room. A locked door at the other end of the room. The button is red and says "do not push" in at least 5 languages. Dare you press it?

Duos Greanleef
2008-08-11, 06:00 PM
Twisty Maze (http://www.logicmazes.com/twisty.html).

Dude...
That's srsly EVIL!

expirement10K14
2008-08-11, 06:04 PM
One our DM used-

We walk into a room and the the door locks behind us, along with a door on the opposite side of the room.

In the center is a transparent bubble surrounding a timer, with a small red button on a pedestal in front of it. Pressing the button brings the timer up to 30.

As we kept pushing the button somebody searched the room. We eventually stopped pushing the button and the door opened when it hit zero.

chiasaur11
2008-08-11, 07:15 PM
Here's a hypothetical one. A button in the center of an empty room. A locked door at the other end of the room. The button is red and says "do not push" in at least 5 languages. Dare you press it?

No.
You have the DMPC push it. While you, personally, are at least three rooms away.

Unless the DMPC seems like a depowered evil overlord in disguise, in which case, you stab him. Then reanimate him. Then, dominate undead. Then have him push the button.

expirement10K14
2008-08-11, 07:30 PM
I would actually thwart most of these-
Bag of Ticks, Grey x5 or summon monster I- I command you to run through the doorway like a loon.

One I came up with-

30x30 room- once three people have moved across the room the ceiling opens and some monster/posoin/acid/rocks fall everyone dies fall down.

It's evil for a few reason-

3 person trigger- no sending mooks in.
Ceiling- who searches the ceiling?
Rocks Fall Everyone Dies= Best DM tool EVA!

Innis Cabal
2008-08-11, 07:33 PM
200 foot corridor, 5 flesh to salt traps. At the end of 4 roumds, water floods the corridor.

sonofzeal
2008-08-11, 08:27 PM
This is one of mine - the players bust down a door into a dungeon, find themselves in a short and cramped alcove with another door on the end. Openning that door leads into a dank and dark chamber with signs of decay all over. Unbeknownst to them (but beknownst to us), the space above the alcove is hollowed out, with a small opening facing down into the next room (counts as Improved Cover, giving +8 AC and +10 Hide), and is currently inhabited by a lvl 3 Kobold Rogue . The party starts advancing forward, starts to search for traps, when suddenly the point man takes a crossbow bolt, plus Sneak Damage, to the head (the Kobold takes this oppertunity to run away down his secret passage, his work now finished). They panic, look around, don't immediately see the danger, and dive for whatever cover they could find. Chances are the door is going to become almost immediately blocked, and the others will take refuge in the corners. Which is where the Pit Traps are.

Another of mine, from the same dungeon - Assuming the party survives its welcome, they'll continue until they find a long, long corridor, with holes in the roof. Paranoid players check everywhere for traps, don't find any, eventually move on. As they continue down the passage, they see a staircase (stone, with blunt metal corners), which they begin to ascend. When they get halfway up, they see a big boulder with metal ribbings, and a kobold (yes, the same plucky Rogue 3 one from before), who immediately pulls a string in his hand and waves upward. The string happens to be connected to a wedge, keeping the boulder from rolling down the staircase... which it does, striking a spark on the stair corners and lighting the lantern oil it's been soaked in. The wave was to alert the other kobolds in the roof (in case they didn't guess by the noise), who proceed to drop dozens of bags of caltrops/marbles through the holes in the roof and into the path of the adventurers fleeing from the Flaming Ball of Doom.

From a different GM I played under - there is another long (say, 100-200 foot) but well-lit passage. At the end of the passage, the party sees a kobold shaking a spear and waving around the corner. Right behind him is a pressure plate light enough to be triggered by an arrow aimed at the Silent Image illusion of a kobold. I played against this once, with the party split into two groups with mine first. I fell for it, triggered it myself, survived, and went and wrote in giant chalk letters "DO NOT SHOOT" behind the illusion. The second group comes, sees the kobold and the sign.... and shoot. Le sigh.

...yeah, our gaming circles learned to fear kobolds long before they even heard the dread name "Tucker". ;)

expirement10K14
2008-08-11, 08:35 PM
Kobolds hidden in tunnels behind silent image'd walls. Fun times, fun times.

KillianHawkeye
2008-08-11, 08:39 PM
I think it would be cool to use an illusionary Indiana Jones boulder just to make the PCs rush and not check for the REAL trap! :smallwink:

xPANCAKEx
2008-08-11, 08:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpGc0hiuoso

powerful tiny fists

Lochar
2008-08-11, 08:44 PM
You're going along in a dungeon, home to a bunch of psychotic cultists who sacrifice babies to a demon.

You hear a baby's cry, and thinking you can save the child, rush to where it is.

Down in five foot pit, a human toddler, too young to speak, is crying her little heart out.

Someone jumps down to grab the baby. Five foot drop, no damage.

They go to grab the baby.

Fort save please. "What?" Fort save. *rolls* A paralytic poison is coating the baby's skin. When you touch it, the poison paralyzes you as well. The baby stops crying and giggles and coos at you.

And then proceeds to eat the player, dealing 2d8 Con damage a bite.

longtooth878
2008-08-11, 08:46 PM
For some truely evil traps I would try to find some of the copies of "GRIMTOOTH’S TRAPS" those traps are wicked. I don't know if you can still buy them but if you get a chance to read them they are a hoot. :smalltongue:

Turcano
2008-08-11, 08:49 PM
Of the traps that haven't been mentioned, the class of traps that are actually disarmed (although they look active, perhaps through a decoy), and any attempted Disable Device check arms the trap.

LordOkubo
2008-08-11, 09:05 PM
What level do you guys play at? I just can't imagine many of these being even a challenge for most level 9+ parties.

expirement10K14
2008-08-11, 09:19 PM
For some truely evil traps I would try to find some of the copies of "GRIMTOOTH’S TRAPS" those traps are wicked. I don't know if you can still buy them but if you get a chance to read them they are a hoot. :smalltongue:

I have this somewhere! TO THE ATTIC!!!!

EDIT: I have seven off them. These baby's are great-

Pilum Pacifier-
When you step on the rigged step (part of a staircase) 3 Pilums (spears) shoot out, and because of how they are placed they can hit those behind him.

Hero Sandwhich-
Stepping on the platform causes it to drop, and triggers to other platforms to flip up next to the pit created and smash either side of the hero.

Now you see it, Now your Dead-
A hole in the ceiling emits light, and underneath it is a platform and a lever that says up. In reality the top of hole is spikes, and two mirrors reflecting light down the hole.
On pulling the lever the platform, which is on top of compressed springs, shoots upward smashing the character through the mirrors and into the spikes.

One book is the Dungeon of Doom- A dungeon consisting only of 50 traps.

These came from a quick flip through for cool sounding ones. They are AMAZING.

Edit 2:

Suspension Ladder is the first trap by Mike Stackpole, and it is designed to force characters to think - if they want to stop hanging around. A character finds himself in a vertical tunnel, a chimney of sorts. There is a ladder running up the side of the chimney and light at the top of the ladder. The climb appears to be about sixty or eighty feet up. Each twenty feet of climb takes the character up on a different ladder.
The third ladder is special. When a character gets to the middle of it, the ladder will swing down from the wall such that the top of it will hit the chimney wall opposite the ladder. Two steel cables, thin but high tension wire, protrude from the top of the ladder into the wall where the ladder is normally attached.
The tense part of the trap comes now. All of the rungs, with the exception of the one the character is hanging onto, are built to pull free when pressure is put on them from an angle other than normal when climbing. In other words, while they will work normally for climbing, using them like horizontal bars will pull them free and cause a long fall if the delver has not got a strong grip on the good rung.
The way out of the trap, of course, is to hang onto the outside edges of the ladder and work along that while ignoring the rungs altogether. If the adventurer gets to the cabled end, he will hit a switch that will draw the ladder upright again. If he goest to the other end, the ladder will retract slowly as the balance is changed.

Mike's second offering is a time-activated trap he calls step This Way, Please. It uses the typical human trust that what was once safe is always safe.
The trap is activated by a pressure plate being stepped upon. This will work best in a paved corridor where the plate is actually brick or stone. Once it is stepped on, it will open a secret door about thirty feet up the corridor. Obviously then, the party has found a catch for the secret door. Once the character steps off the plate, the door slides shut.
All of the characters will gather around the door while one of their fellows steps on the stone. Whoosh! The door slides open and a blast of flame envelops the corridor up to fifteen feet away. The person stepping on the stone will be fine, but his buddies will be singed. He naturally steps off the stone to cut the flame off. This action should be rewarded; the damage should be less for the characters getting burned. Once they prepare themselves for fire, the stone will be stepped upon a third time. The third's the charm, as a weighted post slams down out of the ceiling to catch the stepper. Flame is optional this time, and yes, the post will keep the door open.

This next trap is a corridor trap only by dint of the fact that most of the action takes place in a corridor. Fore! has got to be one of the most unusual traps Mike has ever worked out.
The set-up for the trap begins in a high-ceilinged corridor. There is a thick center beam running the length of the corridor. In the center of the stone-floored corridor there is a perfectly round boulder of granite resting upon a thin, granite pedestal that looks much like a golf tee. To the north, the corridor narrows, and the ceiling drops to the height of fifteen feet. Once the corridor gets smaller, the floor becomes made of wooden planks.
When the delvers hit a pressure plate in the wooden floor, the center beam of the main corridor swings down on a hidden hinge. A large, heavy section of the roof comes down with it, forming it into a mallet of sorts. This hits the boulder which goes flying down towards the party in the smaller corridor. The boulder should land and bounce through the delvers before it hits a weak spot in the wooden flooring and crashes through. Once it has crashed through, it will run beneath the corridor and smash most, if not all, of the wooden floor supports. This should cause the wooden floor to collapse when delvers place weight on it.
To add insult to injury, and to reset the trap, Mike has suggested the addition of a pipe for the ball that will magically accelerate its rate of speed and curve around to launch the boulder back down the corridor towards the mallet that propelled it. If all goes well, the ball will hit the mallet and smash it back into the ceiling while coming to rest back on its tee. If, however, adventurers get in the way ...

Mike's last trap, Beware Flash Flood, goes to great lengths to make the
delvers do themselves in. The setting for this trap is a dark cavern with a deep chasm. The sound of running water can be heard from the chasm. Crossing the cavern, there is an old-looking rope bridge. Beside it is a well-worn sign splattered with bat guano that reads "Beware flash floods washing out the bridge."
Above the bridge, there is a huge room full of water. The floor of the room also forms the roof of the cavern above the bridge. The wood has been treated so it will not get soggy, and is held in place by air pressure. The water cannot drain out because no air can get in. On the underside of it, there is the nesting place for hundreds of huge bats.
The bats are herbivores and really not much of a threat to the adventurers.
Walking upon the bridge will set it to swaying, however, and that will cause the bell hung on the underside of the bridge to ring. This will awaken the bats and cause them to fly about. Arrow shots at the bats are bound to hit and go through them or miss, hitting the roof in either case. Once that wooden roof is hit, air will get into the upper room and the whole thing falls in one vast flood, quick as a flash ...

only1doug
2008-08-12, 04:06 AM
What level do you guys play at? I just can't imagine many of these being even a challenge for most level 9+ parties.

This is one of mine - the players bust down a door into a dungeon, find themselves in a short and cramped alcove with another door on the end. Openning that door leads into a dank and dark chamber with signs of decay all over. Unbeknownst to them (but beknownst to us), the space above the alcove is hollowed out, with a small opening facing down into the next room (counts as Improved Cover, giving +8 AC and +10 Hide), and is currently inhabited by a lvl 3 Kobold Rogue . The party starts advancing forward, starts to search for traps, when suddenly the point man takes a crossbow bolt, plus Sneak Damage, to the head (the Kobold takes this oppertunity to run away down his secret passage, his work now finished). They panic, look around, don't immediately see the danger, and dive for whatever cover they could find. Chances are the door is going to become almost immediately blocked, and the others will take refuge in the corners. Which is where the Pit Traps are.

I can't see the 3rd level kobold rogue being able to hit my sorcerer's flatfooted AC, and as for him being any threat at all to the party's rogue...

Occasional Sage
2008-08-12, 04:25 PM
*snip lots of Grimtooth-y goodness*

Ah man, good memories!

I remember "Fibber McGee's Closet of Caltrops" with glee.

Chronicled
2008-08-12, 04:33 PM
From the other trap thread, this is worth mentioning:

http://red.reveries.info/public/transvideogame/bridget.gif

There, done.

FoE
2008-08-12, 04:38 PM
That's diabolical, Chronicled. :smalltongue:

Occasional Sage
2008-08-12, 04:48 PM
From the other trap thread, this is worth mentioning:

Nice cufflinks.

Mercenary Pen
2008-08-12, 05:26 PM
Well, set up on this one can vary as needed, but a combination of CON poison in transparent gas form and an antimagic field should do most of the work, then throw in whatever mechanism you want for keeping them in place and whatever monster of (appropriate CR+5) seems best to you, and bob- as they say- is your uncle.

Person_Man
2008-08-12, 05:47 PM
There is a large, ominous door, with no visible handle, nob, or hinges. Next to the door there are five levers. [Describe each lever in detail. Each should be a different color, made out of a different material, and should have a different shape - a dragon's claw, a clenched humanoid fist, an onyx globe, etc.] On the walls there are five murals. [When asked, describe the murals - each should relate to a specific handle, and should have potential clues drawn directly from the mythos of whatever lives in the dungeon. The murals should each imply in some way that they are the right choice, but with a caveat that they may be the wrong choice]. Every tile of the ceiling, floor, and walls are filled with evenly spaced holes. Detect magic (and various similar spells) shows nothing. If they have a ridiculous Search check or magic that tells them, you can also tell the PCs that there are no secret doors.

Pulling any handle will close the entrance the PCs came into the room through with a large stone block, and set off a very painful non-magical trap, such as filling the room with gas, fire, poison, spikes, spikes, etc.

Solution:
The door very heavy, but unlocked. To get through, one simply needs to push on it, and it will swing open. After all, the person/thing who lives here needs to be able to get in and out on a regular basis. The weight of the door keeps out animals and small pesky things like kobolds. The elaborate traps kill adventurers, without the need for a complex way to bypass the system.

This trap relies on abusing PCs who have spent a lot of time gaming and over thinking things. In particular, the Law of Conservation of Detail, which states that if the DM takes the time to describe a detail, it must be important. In reality, some doors are just doors.

Rebonack
2008-08-12, 05:47 PM
Floor is covered in pressure plates.

Though pressure plates that don't actually do anything.

Sans the ones right in front of the door.

Stepping on the actual trap causes the floor to fall away, dropping the unfortunate victim into a pit.

The bottom of which is filled with a gelatinous cube.

Things get more fun when the party lowers a rope to rescue the poor sod, only to have the ooze dissolve the rope just above would-be rescuer.

Viddaric
2008-08-18, 11:55 PM
this is technicly a "rocks fall everyone dies" trap, and I even sugested it on that forum, so here it is.
players enter a room. once they enter the room, expoding runes suddenly appear on every wall. unless the players preempted this trap and are looking at the ceiling (the runes are on the floor too) they go off. superkaboom!

make sure that the room is small, or that the runes set off each other. also, if the players survive the explosoin, and runes don't set each other off, then have the runes reappear ten seconds later, reseting the trap, and killing any players who have been lulled into a false sence of security that they can look at that spot without danger, because the runes are already gone, right? wrong, sucker!

chiasaur11
2008-08-19, 12:09 AM
this is technicly a "rocks fall everyone dies" trap, and I even sugested it on that forum, so here it is.
players enter a room. once they enter the room, expoding runes suddenly appear on every wall. unless the players preempted this trap and are looking at the ceiling (the runes are on the floor too) they go off. superkaboom!

make sure that the room is small, or that the runes set off each other. also, if the players survive the explosoin, and runes don't set each other off, then have the runes reappear ten seconds later, reseting the trap, and killing any players who have been lulled into a false sence of security that they can look at that spot without danger, because the runes are already gone, right? wrong, sucker!

Three words:
All Barbarian Party.

LordMalrog
2008-08-19, 12:22 AM
DM: OOh wrong stepping stone, that's eternal torture! fun spell.
*laser tag room with disintegrating rays*
Wither limb boots/gloves
Proctologist Spikes
The Yellow one who stalks the halls of the dungeon making his dreaded Wakawaka...
Flesh to stone, stone to mud, mud to stone, stone to flesh... roll me a fort save...?
"steps on a single stone" *entire dungeon explodes
Ray of polymorph into an octopus tree.
A cursed ray of frost that actually shrinks the genetals of all men in the immediate are shrunk.:smalleek:

Talic
2008-08-19, 01:08 AM
Some simples.

Eyebite
Spyglass is found on a desk in a room. Most adventurers think, "woot, 1,000gp, easy to carry, and useful to boot!"

Further into the dungeons, there's a massive yawning abyss, with a narrow stone buttressed bridge stretching across it. The far side seems to have some figures, but at a distance of a couple hundred yards, it's hard to make out who.

So they take out the spyglass, and try to get a closer look... But, odd, it's a bit out of focus... So they adjust the focus...

Which releases the spring loaded spike to fly straight through the eyepiece, dealing damage as a dagger, auto-critting for the specific location. Reflex is allowed to negate (DC 17).

The BlobA large dungeonlike area, and the players have accessed a secret passageway. Along the walls are eye panels that view into adjacent rooms. Normally closed, they silently slide upward when the forehead panel just above them is pressed. The PC's can use this to see most of the rooms on the floor perfectly fine...

However, one peephole doesn't just lead to another room. Pressing the forehead plate opens to view a room, the viewplate showing the view through a 1 way mirror. The mirror is sealed to a wall, but the faceplate also opened another gate. While the shape doesn't allow you to SEE the vertical passage that also branches up... Well, 6 seconds after the panel is pressed, the black pudding that flies out of the hole will certainly reveal it.