PDA

View Full Version : Ramifications of Therkla Joining the OotS

HUMVEE Driver
2008-08-11, 04:58 PM
I don't really think that Therkla will officially join the Order of the Stick, but I was wondering what it would be like if she did.

First of all, do they need her? Haley plays the part of a Rogue very well, but she is a ranged attacker; while Therkla seems like more of a close combat adventurer. That is aside from Therkla's Ninja skills. I would say that no, they don't need her, but yes, they could definitely use her.

As for the party dynamics, well, I think they are long overdue for another female in the group. (V doesn't count; until his/her/it's gender is spelled out in black and white, he/she/it will always be jus that, he/she/it) I think that a half-orc in the mix would also be very interesting. I love how Therkla disproves that stereotype of all half-orcs being dumb and unattractive. Even though Elan calls her 'sorta cute'. :smallbiggrin:

Now, how would each member relate to her?

Roy: Probably respect from one professional to another, but maybe some suspicion about her past activities and her motives for being there. After all, it is basically because she is smitten over Elan.

Elan: Yaaaay! Ninja Girl will save the day!

Haley: Deep suspicion and deeper jealousy. I sense more 'hussy' comments in the future...

Belkar: Lust or Hate? Gotta be lust, because how could Belkar hate someone who used to work for the bad guys? I think that when Belkar sees how cold-blooded I'm sure Therkla is, he'll really lust for her.

V: More suspicion, but if he/she/it does end up trusting Therkla, just neutrality towards someone with similar goals.

Durkon: Probably a LOT of mistrust, with the history of orcs vs dwarves. But then, Durkon is very wise and open-minded... I think he just might become a moral guide to Therkla. Not to mention that he witnessed Therkla turn her back on her employers.

Anyone else?

David Argall
2008-08-11, 05:33 PM
Therkla's joining the group depends on the relationship with Haley. She has got to be shown as willing to share, or possibly so vigorously objecting that we lose sympathy with her. Most other relationships just won't work. I suppose Haley could be entirely unaware of Therkla as a threat, but ...

However, how do we really justify her joining up? About the only idea is that she is Elan's toy. That doesn't give the rest of the party much motive to want her along.

Perhaps a better idea is that she does not join, but rather tags along, every now and then visiting Elan, and possibly Haley [maybe with murderous intent]. But most of the time, she would be off stage rather than actually part of the party.

Salty
2008-08-11, 05:36 PM
I think Therkla would end up working for Hinjo, seeing as she isn't a PC. She may see Elan occasionally after Haley comes back, but overall, she'll stay away from the Oots.

ericgrau
2008-08-11, 07:02 PM
Yah we got at least 4 mid-high level NPCs. They aren't part of OotS even though they work together. Therkla would become another high level NPC.

factotum
2008-08-12, 01:52 AM
Thinking along those lines...

We know Belkar isn't long for this world, and he's pretty useless now the MoJ has triggered anyway. What's the betting Therkla turns out to be his replacement? It would lead to some romantic tension between her and Haley, at the very least...

Ganurath
2008-08-12, 01:56 AM
Belkar: Lust or Hate? Gotta be lust, because how could Belkar hate someone who used to work for the bad guys? I think that when Belkar sees how cold-blooded I'm sure Therkla is, he'll really lust for her.Therkla will probably reciprocate coming off the rebound from her crush on Elan, but later kill Belkar after he demonstrates that he's polyamorous.

Staven
2008-08-12, 01:31 PM
To me, Therkla seems like the type of character that they spend about as much time writing for and building up so that it would be affecting if they killed her off. That's my prediction. Who would do it is anyone's guess, as it's pretty much assumed that she is the highest level character in Kubota's (am I spelling that right?) employ, seeing as the Kubota himself is an aristocrat and his imp is either a regular or advanced imp, which still wouldn't pose much of a challenge to Therkla or any order members that might be present at the time.

Also, Haley would not tolerate her presence in the group at all. And no, it wouldn't create tension, it'd create violence and death.

One more thing:

Therkla will probably reciprocate coming off the rebound from her crush on Elan, but later kill Belkar after he demonstrates that he's polyamorous.

The oracle stated that he would only draw his last breath in a year, leading me to believe that something less predictable than death is going to happen.

Sir_Norbert
2008-08-12, 01:47 PM
The oracle stated that he would only draw his last breath in a year, leading me to believe that something less predictable than death is going to happen.
See strip 331 for the Oracle's opinion of people who insist on using really precise wording to idiot-proof prophecies.

It's simple enough: the Oracle has said, on two different occasions, that Belkar is going to die soon. His comment to Roy (and indirectly to the forum members) about "last breath -- ever" was just a clarification on the order of "and no, he isn't going to be resurrected".

Sorry, but this means he's going to die and not be resurrected. End of story.

pankake
2008-08-12, 03:54 PM
We derailed the thread for a belka's fate debate?...

What about the ramifications for the fleet of AC Refugee's now with more problems with court cases and legislation against one of their nobles?

It's not just ramifications inside the OOTS party, it could very well change the fate of many of the AC refugee's.

Jigsaw Forte
2008-08-12, 04:33 PM
The last thing the Order of the Stick needs is a catfight.

I'm sorry, it's just not fanservice when you're doing it with stick figures.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-08-12, 04:38 PM
Thinking along those lines...

We know Belkar isn't long for this world, and he's pretty useless now the MoJ has triggered anyway. What's the betting Therkla turns out to be his replacement? It would lead to some romantic tension between her and Haley, at the very least...

Les Yay? :smalleek:

Also, Haley would not tolerate her presence in the group at all. And no, it wouldn't create tension, it'd create violence and death.
Right, because we all know that Haley is a violent, murderous, intolerant bitch.

Bayar
2008-08-12, 04:42 PM
The last thing the Order of the Stick needs is a catfight.

I'm sorry, it's just not fanservice when you're doing it with stick figures.

Yes it is...you never saw the House of Fanservice thread from Arts & Crafts ?

Ganurath
2008-08-12, 04:55 PM
The oracle stated that he would only draw his last breath in a year, leading me to believe that something less predictable than death is going to happen.Because we all know how much the Giant loves speculation (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0567.html)!

As for the talk about fanservice, methinks a pair of rogues would be more subtle. Or Therkla will start crushing on Nale during the Linear Guild's inevitable return and will kill Sabine to take her place.