PDA

View Full Version : Spellcaster +4??

RagnaroksChosen
2008-08-11, 05:59 PM
So what book(s) is the feet that allows you to cast as if you where 4 levels higher but not more then your HD and does it apply to any spell caster?

Like would it work with a duskblade/ranger mix?

Mr Pants
2008-08-11, 06:08 PM
Is this what you were looking for? (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Practiced_Spellcaster,all) The feat would only work for one of the classes, so you would have to choose between advancing your duskblade casting or your ranger casting. Or you could just take the feat twice.

RTGoodman
2008-08-11, 06:14 PM
Well, Mr. Pants got the link, but to answer your other questions:

[...]does it apply to any spell caster?

Like would it work with a duskblade/ranger mix?

Yes it applies to any spellcaster, but you have to take for each caster class. You won't get +4 to both ranger and duskblade if you take it once - you'd have to take it once for each class.

Also, just a note, it doesn't actually let you cast as if you were 4 levels higher - you don't get more spells known or spells per day or anything, it just increases your caster level (which WILL at least improve durations, damage, and things like that).

Chronos
2008-08-11, 07:28 PM
Interestingly, it can also be useful for a pure ranger (or possibly pure hexblade, though I'm not certain how they work). A ranger's caster level is normally half of his class level, so a level 8 ranger, for instance, would have a caster level of 4. A level 8 ranger with Practiced Spellcaster, however, would have a caster level of 8.

RagnaroksChosen
2008-08-11, 08:57 PM
i thought there was one that let you get more spells and what not as if you where 4 levels higher... hmmm...

Deepblue706
2008-08-11, 09:02 PM
Interestingly, it can also be useful for a pure ranger (or possibly pure hexblade, though I'm not certain how they work). A ranger's caster level is normally half of his class level, so a level 8 ranger, for instance, would have a caster level of 4. A level 8 ranger with Practiced Spellcaster, however, would have a caster level of 8.

But at Ranger20, it would only be a CL of 14. Considering their spell list does not benefit so much from improved CL, there are probably a great deal of better feat choices, no?

Chronos
2008-08-11, 10:21 PM
Considering their spell list does not benefit so much from improved CL, there are probably a great deal of better feat choices, no?Probably-- I was speaking theoretically. But it still might not be a bad idea if you're going the Sword of the Arcane Order route, or the like.

Mr Pants
2008-08-11, 10:35 PM
Duskblade would be a better choice for that feat. I think they have more level-dependent spells than a ranger, and then their buffs would last longer.

Arceliar
2008-08-11, 11:39 PM

Actually, that can be quite useful. A party that learns they will encounter a lich never sees the ranger lich coming.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-12, 11:00 AM
But at Ranger20, it would only be a CL of 14. Considering their spell list does not benefit so much from improved CL, there are probably a great deal of better feat choices, no?

In FRCS Paladins and Rangers of Mystra and Azuth (Very specialized case) can cast Arcane Spells from spell books where it could be more of an issue.