PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Possible skill houserule?

Jimp
2008-08-11, 06:47 PM
I'm trying to get some of my players here to try a 4th edition game just to see what it's like. One of their complaints is that they don't like the generalised skill system and preferred older ways. As a fix I'm thinking of using 2e Non-Weapon Proficiencies and giving each class their trained skills number + int mod NWP slots. My players like the NWP system and I can't see any real conflicts in rules by using it.
Does this sound good?

Covered In Bees
2008-08-11, 06:50 PM
Well, uh, you're going to lose the whole skill challenge mechanic.

What exactly is gained by using NWPs? What does it add to the game?

HardboiledJJ
2008-08-11, 07:13 PM
I think he's keeping the same skill challenges. But with this mod players can know a number of outside the box "flavor only" skills equal to their int mod along with the normal amount of skills. I could go for that.

Knaight
2008-08-11, 07:17 PM
The players are willing to try the rest of the game. Alternately there is a system I've been developing for a while. Works with 3.5 too.

Basically you totally divorce skills from class. Then you pick whatever skills you want. Count them, then divide that number by 4. That second number is how many points you get per level(double at first level). Points are then spent in the skills, as many as you want per skill. Buying 1 rank costs 1 point, the second rank costs 2, the third rank 3, etc. Multiply that by 5, then add int he attribute modifier. It sounds complicated, but its really simple. So lets say these are the skills:
Combat:
Covert:
Athletic:
Magic:
Professional:
Craft:

And lets say 2 points per level. At level 1:
Combat: 2
Covert:
Athletic: 1
Magic:
Professional:
Craft:

At level 30(62 points):
Combat: 6(21 points)
Covert: 4(10 points)
Athletic: 3(6 points)
Magic: 5(15 points)
Professional:4(10 points)
Craft:4(10 points)

Granted, you would typically have way more skills and points, but its still far fewer to deal with than standard third edition, and easier to deal with. You could also let the players determine what skills they want to take, then use this.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-08-11, 07:22 PM
Nah, this is great. It doesn't use up any of their useful skill slots, and are so rarely used that they shouldn't impact any given adventure.

If you got to sugar-coat the pill, go for it. I'm curious though: do your players find much use for Forestry or Pottery in your campaigns?

EDIT:
I meant the OP's system. No need to make things more complicated for a sideshow like NWPs.