PDA

View Full Version : Party Trickery Idea (Requesting Help)

postman
2008-08-11, 08:29 PM
I have this idea for a way to confound a party I'm DMing for, but I'm not sure how to do it without giving it away to all the players. I am thus requesting the guidance of much more seasoned DMs than I (you).

Basically the concept is that thee group walk into a room, when suddenly the room goes pitch black. The party can still talk to each other for a few seconds, but are teleported away and stripped of their weapons. Each of them is teleported into a seperate small closet-like space, just big enough to contain them, with a door in front of them. The door opens, revealing a circular arena with a chanting crowd (inside though, like a boxing ring but larger) with lots of doors in the wall. All of the other doors are open and behind each door is a humanoid-shaped enemy (thinking of orc, but may change to something cooler). The thing is, the enemies are all actually the rest of the party but a spell has been placed on them so they look like an orc. Also, if they try to talk, all anyone hears is a vile screech. The idea is that some of the party will rush in and attack the enemies they see, and the others will defend themselves when they see an orc running at them angrily. There will also be one actual orc, who knows the situation and is attempting to get the others to fight each other. If they defeat the actual orc the spell will be dispelled and they can go out of the door he came from back to where they were before the whole mess began.

That's the idea, but I can't think of a way to actually run it without giving away the twist straight away. I'm willing to change most of it for the sake of retaining the mystry, if anyone can think of a better way.

Thanks.

Jack_of_Spades
2008-08-12, 01:55 AM
Have the players in three separate rooms and relay the necesary information via IMs, if you have wireless internet and multiple computers, or handwritten notes.

Vadin
2008-08-12, 03:20 PM
You could describe all three as being in different rooms, but roll initiative for all of them and say that enemies in the 'other' rooms (not rooms, arenas, but yeah) are acting on the same initiative as said player. You could also mess around with the damage the 'enemies' do, and mix up the hit/miss thing every now and then.