PDA

View Full Version : Online Dungeon Master Resources: Map Maker?

Kaihaku
2008-08-12, 02:29 AM
I'm apparently lacking the gift of understandable descriptions, sure they sound nice, but my players never seem to get the actual layout as I envision it. The curving corridor comes full circle leaving you where you started. In a circle. No, you're back where you started. You came in a circle. What do you mean where are you? You came in a circle. Sigh. Let me draw a map.

It's a bit of a pain uploading a new map picture, at least on my connection and Inkspace can be a bit of a resource hog to load up for something so minor, so I was wondering if anyone knew of a resource like Invisible Castle only for hosting interactive maps? It wouldn't have to come with a free host, I have my own server and could easily host the software myself...if it were available. I gave a glance through the open source community and will look more in-depth in a moment, but I figured that someone here might know off the top of their head and save me some time. Thanks.

shadow_archmagi
2008-08-12, 07:29 AM
openRPG should do it. Its a combination map/chatroom/diceroller thing.

Theres also this website http://direpress.bin.sh/tools/ which provides all sorts of random generators, including a world map and a dungeon generator.

Personally, I prefer to use Dwarf Fortress to generate worlds...

VoxPVoxD
2008-08-12, 08:51 AM
Things like OpenRPG and the (in my opinion superior) MapTool are very very helpful for running live games online -- better than sitting in an AIM chatroom or :smallsigh: IRC. For games where that isn't feasible, like play-by-post games, it's not nearly as useful.

It still might not be quite what you're looking for, but did you know you could edit images within a Photobucket album? I haven't tested it thoroughly myself, but you've got the option to draw whatever, a simple map, in addition to all sorts of photographic effects. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't even need to change the link to the original image, which saves you the effort of constant re-uploading.

Duke of URL
2008-08-12, 09:25 AM
You can use the spreadsheet part of Google Docs, and publish the maps when you have changes. Just fill squares in a particular color for walls/doors/etc, and use letter/numbers for PC/NPC/monster positions.

Easy to update, and the same link will show the updates if you re-publish.

Glyde
2008-08-12, 09:45 AM
I use gametable ( http://gametable.galactanet.com/ ). It's a lot like OpenRPG, but a lot simpler.

heruca
2008-08-22, 05:39 PM
Check out Battlegrounds: RPG Edition (the link is in my sig). In addition to letting you move tokens around on a map, it also has a full complement of drawing tools and a dynamic text labeling tool. You can either use it to play live games, or use its built-in screencapture feature to easily generate map updates that you can post on a forum or upload to a game server.

On the Battlegrounds site, you'll also find links to every other RPG-oriented virtual tabletop program available, as well as a link to a feature comparison chart that covers most of the popular VTs.

Hope this helps!