PDA

View Full Version : LA, Hit Dice and ECL (3.5)

lux_aeterna
2008-08-12, 08:48 AM
I'm having a little difficulty understanding how these work together.

A bugbear is LA+1
It gets many things including the following:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/bugbear.htm
# Racial Hit Dice: A bugbear begins with three levels of humanoid, which provide 3d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +2, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +3, and Will +1.
# Racial Skills: A bugbear’s humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 6 × (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Climb, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, and Spot.
# Racial Feats: A bugbear’s humanoid levels give it two feats.

How exactly do these stack with class levels?

For example, suppose I am playing in a session where characters start at ECL five. My character is a Bugbear Ranger
Will I be a level 4 ranger because all the bugbear feats, hit dice, and skill points are including in the LA+1?
Will I be a level 1 ranger because the LA+1 stacks with the 3HD resulting in four "dead levels?"
Will it be something completely different?

Please explain.

Lochar
2008-08-12, 09:00 AM
You have 1 LA, which is basically a nothing level to 'adjust' the bugbear for being more powerful.

You have 3 RHD, which entitles you to two feats, skill points, and whatnot as if the 3 RHD had been your first three levels. (Which includes doing x4 skill points for the first RHD). 'Class' skills are listed for the RHD.

Then you may take one level of ranger. Which would be your fourth HD, and your fifth ECL.

Thrawn183
2008-08-12, 09:00 AM
The latter, you will have a single level in ranger. From here on, you gain experience and levels as a 5th level character normally would (you'll just be behind on class abilities)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-12, 09:01 AM
ECL = Racial HD + LA + Class levels

So you will be a 1st level ranger with 3 racial HD of bugbear for 4 HD total and + 1 LA.

lux_aeterna
2008-08-12, 09:03 AM
Ok. That is what I thought.
Thanks for the help.