PDA

View Full Version : New York Metro Area Meetup

AKA_Bait
2008-08-12, 02:00 PM
Hey folks,

I don't see any other thread on this in the past 8 months or so, so I figured I'd start one. I'm not sure how these meetup things work but I'd like to get a sense of who some folk are in the real world. So, who all is from the NY Metro Area?

Felixaar
2008-08-12, 02:01 PM
If you hang till say, october seventeen/eighteen ish area I'll be there.

AKA_Bait
2008-08-12, 02:01 PM
If you hang till say, october seventeen/eighteen ish area I'll be there.

Hey, I live here, so I'll be around in October. :smallbiggrin:

adanedhel9
2008-08-12, 10:08 PM
Heh, I'm actually going to be in NYC next week. Don't know if I'm going to have a whole lot of time for non-work stuff, but if you manage to organize something on such short notice I might be able to stop by.

AWM
2008-08-13, 11:44 AM
:vaarsuvius:

I would most assuredly join in a gathering of like minded intellects, if it is reasonably within the borders of my domicile. I wholeheartedly endorse this endeavor and eagerly await news of its prospective progression.

-awm

PS

21+

Hey Bait I know you in real life, random I know.

AKA_Bait
2008-08-13, 11:55 AM
Cool cool. If interested folks could let me know if they are 21+ or not that would be good. I'm trying to figure out if a bar type place or a diner/park/coffee shop type place would be a better idea.

Sorry to say it adanedhel9, but next week is pretty unlikley for me to pull things together. Too much stuff going on in my life at the moment to be able to make it be that soon.

Edit:

Yeah, JaxGaret just reminded me of who you are out in the real world. Ah the tiny tiny world of gamers. :smallbiggrin:

JaxGaret
2008-08-13, 02:31 PM
Welcome to the OotS boards, AWM!

I believe we know each other as well :smallwink:

AWM
2008-08-13, 02:52 PM
Welcome to the OotS boards, AWM!

This place is huge.

-awm

Felixaar
2008-08-17, 03:38 AM
I'm well below 21 (and wouldn't drink if I was, anyway)

zeratul
2008-08-17, 11:36 AM
I live in New York state but I'm not sure if I'd be able to go.

faerwain
2008-08-17, 03:40 PM
Okay, guys, sorry for hijacking, but as the New Yorkers are surrounded here this saves me from creating a thread.

Point is I mayyyy(depends on the financial situation) be in New York with a friend beginning of November. Could you give me some general advise?
Questions I have at the moment would be:

Where should we stay, e.g. city part? The beginning idea was that I want to stand on the Empire State Building, so should'nt be to far from there. How is it with public transportation anyway? I expect them to be well connected, but how expensive is it, especially from a greater distance to Manhattan? We are running on a tight budget, so any tips on how to eat and live nonexpensive are appreciated.
Any ideas what we should definitively see and do?

AKA_Bait
2008-08-18, 08:47 AM
Okay, guys, sorry for hijacking, but as the New Yorkers are surrounded here this saves me from creating a thread.

Point is I mayyyy(depends on the financial situation) be in New York with a friend beginning of November. Could you give me some general advise?
Questions I have at the moment would be:

Where should we stay, e.g. city part? The beginning idea was that I want to stand on the Empire State Building, so should'nt be to far from there. How is it with public transportation anyway? I expect them to be well connected, but how expensive is it, especially from a greater distance to Manhattan? We are running on a tight budget, so any tips on how to eat and live nonexpensive are appreciated.
Any ideas what we should definitively see and do?

I hate to say this, but a tight budget and accommodations near the empire state building might be mutually exclusive. Accommodations in midtown tend to be dominated by the business trip crowd and priced accordingly. If you found a place anywhere near there in Manhattan that was less than $100 a night I'd be shocked.

On the bright side, the Empire State isn't hard to get to from the outer boroughs, since it's only about 10 blocks from grand central station. I'm not sure where hotels are, in relation to train/metro north lines, but I'm sure there are a few. I'm told also that there are a few youth hostels around which are not that expensive. I'd look into those.

In terms of other money saving ventures, I'd walk a lot and take the subway rather than cabs. I'd also try to prepare lunches and other foods to take with you. Dining in Manhattan can be quite pricey (expect to drop at least 30 - 40 on any two or more person lunch in a restaurant). Sandwiches are a good idea.

As for what you should see and do, I strongly recommend the Met (Metropolitan Museum of Art) and the Museum of Natural History. Both are as inexpensive as you like, the entry amount is a 'suggested donation' and not an actual price. You can give them a quarter and they will give you a button. That's intentional and not shady btw, the museums are set up that way so that poorer people who can't afford to pay the $20 or whatever it is now to get in can still go and see the great works of art/dinosaurs. Central park is also very nice, and good spot for lunch if you are doing the sandwich thing and the weather is ok.

I'm not sure how nice they will be that time of year, but if they are open and it's not bad weather the Bronx Zoo and the New York Botanical Gardens (they are right next to eachother) are also worth going to. They can be expensive though, so I'd suggest going on Wednesdays, which is their free admission day. It will be much more crowded those days, but that's the tradeoff for it being free.

Have you been to NYC before? Are there any particular things you find interesting? There's something for whatever interest you might have someplace in the city.

Lord_Drayakir
2008-10-08, 02:19 PM
I live in NYC, and I know a couple of good places to hang out at. I mean, most are hookah bars, or bars that serve alcohol to minors (me being 20 and all), but yes, I do know how to have a good time without altering my body chemistry.

DraPrime
2008-10-08, 05:25 PM
Hmmmm, I live way over in Boston, but I might be able to get to NY to meet some playgrounders.

Also, by Massachusetts law I'm required to say this to New Yorkers:

GO RED SOX! :smalltongue: YANKEES SUCK!

EvilElitest
2008-10-08, 06:08 PM
I'm in the hudson valley, doubt i could make it sadly.....
from
EE
edit
I actually like the Red sox

DraPrime
2008-10-08, 06:21 PM
I'm in the hudson valley, doubt i could make it sadly.....
from
EE
edit
I actually like the Red sox

ATTENTION: I have found the coolest New Yorker ever.

EvilElitest
2008-10-08, 06:40 PM
ATTENTION: I have found the coolest New Yorker ever.

Can i sig that?
from
EE

DraPrime
2008-10-08, 06:41 PM
Can i sig that?
from
EE

Of course Coolest New Yorker.

EvilElitest
2008-10-08, 07:58 PM
done, go Red Sox all the way. To be fair, my aunt lives in Boston and my Grandparents in Massachusetts, but i live in New York and have to put up with these annoying Yankee and Mets fans :smallmad:
from
EE

Lord_Drayakir
2008-10-09, 02:56 PM
I'm a terrible person who doesn't like baseball, although I am partial to the occasional game of football.

Anyway, like I said, I'm all for it, but we'd need to figure out to do something, other than meet each other, and stand around looking uncomfortable.

AKA_Bait
2008-10-09, 03:20 PM
Anyway, like I said, I'm all for it, but we'd need to figure out to do something, other than meet each other, and stand around looking uncomfortable.

Indeed. I'm trying to come up with something. I would have suggested this really cool little coffee shop on the upper east side but alas it has closed. Most of the other places I know are either pool halls, bars or music venues that are 21+. Were it earlier in the year I'd suggest central park but it's getting cold these days.

Lord_Drayakir
2008-10-15, 11:24 PM
I know a bunch of good places in Brooklyn. Hell, we should bring our D&D books and run a short campaign. I've always had problems with finding people to RP with in person.

three08
2008-10-16, 08:54 AM
meetup.com has a group that hosts regular dnd gaming meetings in nyc. i found the campaign i'm in currently through that site. handy.

UserClone
2008-10-27, 05:19 PM
Hello, fellow. I am in nearby CT, a couple/few hours from NYC. I could probably make it if it were on a weekend, and I could plan for it in advance, say a couple weeks or so. I'll subscribe to the thread just in case.

AWM
2008-10-29, 11:21 AM
We should try to get more people interested then bring the group to the Giant's attention.

Getting together at a coffee shop or game store would be cool enough, if anyone has the OOTS game we could play it. If not perhaps some D&D with OOTS inspired characters would be fun.

-awm

Orzel
2008-10-29, 05:02 PM
I'm form BROOKLYN!
It would be cool to meet a couple of you guys.

KingRexII
2008-11-04, 03:33 PM
*pokes thread* Still alive?

Anywhose, I live in Philly, which is a short 1.5 hour train out to NYC. Count me in on the guest list if we ever get a time and location.

HamsterOfTheGod
2008-11-08, 03:00 PM
I live in NYC so if forum members want to meet up in the city, let me know.