PDA

View Full Version : Jim Butcher/Dresden Files/Codex of Alera

Karaswanton
2008-08-12, 03:10 PM
I'd have to say that the Dresden Files and the Codex of Alera are currently my favorite fantasy series. Anyone else like them?

The one thing that bothers me is that sometimes Jim's writing isn't very clear, and frequently overly wordy. This is particularly true for the Dresden Files, and less so for the Codex.

Cristo Meyers
2008-08-12, 03:21 PM
I own and have read every Dresden Files up to Small Favor, which is still hardcover. I love them, each and every one. Dresden's humor and wit has literally had me rolling on the floor at least once (a curse that summons death by falling frozen turkey, I mean, come on, that's funny).

Avilan the Grey
2008-08-13, 12:22 AM
I reallly (yes with 3 "l"s ;) ) that they will publish the earlier books in hardcover too. I really enjoy his books... I bought the comics too!

Unfortunately the TV series never took off, the writing was just not good enough.

Cristo Meyers
2008-08-13, 07:31 AM
I reallly (yes with 3 "l"s ;) ) that they will publish the earlier books in hardcover too. I really enjoy his books... I bought the comics too!

Unfortunately the TV series never took off, the writing was just not good enough.

Well, it didn't help that they made the mistake of trusting the Sci-Fi channel. They're about as bad as Fox when it comes to supporting new shows.

Am I the only one that's starting to think Bob is getting pretty Flanderized? Or maybe the whole spirit obsessed with sex schtick is getting old...

Gavin Sage
2008-08-13, 09:01 PM
Its nice to read a writer who hasn't peaked in his first few masterworks then cannibalizes his own success endlessly from that point forward. Both series are still getting better as books are added to them. I mean Storm Front is still fun to read, but its nothing next to the back half of the series. If it is in the back half even yet.... (Ditto for the Codex Alera on a smaller scale)

And Jim Butcher accomplishes the rather suprisingly rare achievement of making magic work while being interesting. Not once but twice.

Avilan the Grey
2008-08-14, 01:50 AM
I started in this genre (Dresden) with LKHs books, back when they were good, but maybe not masterworks. I dropped them after blue moon because I saw where they were heading, my wife and friends continued a few more books before dropping them.
I just read the comic book version of Circus of the Damned the other day and she really had potential! I had forgotten how much I liked the early Anita Blake books.

Krrth
2008-08-14, 08:53 AM
If you really like the books, I'd recommend trying the authors forums. All the Jim Butcher goodness you can shake a stick at. Not that there is anything wrong with discussing them here.
As for the TV series, ironically enough, the author liked it.

Tragic_Comedian
2008-08-14, 09:10 AM
If you really like the books, I'd recommend trying the authors forums. All the Jim Butcher goodness you can shake a stick at. Not that there is anything wrong with discussing them here.
As for the TV series, ironically enough, the author liked it.

You sound just like a TV Tropes article.

Krrth
2008-08-14, 09:47 AM
You sound just like a TV Tropes article.

Erm...I do? Ok. IS that good or bad?

Tragic_Comedian
2008-08-14, 10:03 AM
Good.:smallbiggrin:

Otempora
2008-08-14, 10:06 AM
I love the Dresden Files. The world-building is consistent and original, and Harry's one of my favorite narrators. He can pull off the smartass thing without being annoying.

Bob is a one-joke character, and it gets a little boring after a while. But I loved his comments about Molly in Proven Guilty.

I actually liked the TV series. Not as much as the books, but that's only to be expected. When you judge it on its own merits, it's pretty entertaining.

I haven't read the Codex of Alera series yet, but I'm planning to.

Cristo Meyers
2008-08-14, 10:11 AM
See, Proven Guilty is where Bob started getting really old for me. Lines that had me laughing out loud earlier were just making me roll my eyes and think "perv."

The ending of White Night had me in stitches, though, and the Entropy curse-falling frozen turkey death had everyone in the car dealership I was in staring at me...

Gavin Sage
2008-08-14, 08:09 PM
See, Proven Guilty is where Bob started getting really old for me. Lines that had me laughing out loud earlier were just making me roll my eyes and think "perv."

Well being of dwindling importance to the series has a tendency to reduce one's noticable traits. First few books its seems like its Harry & Bob when its not Harry & Murphy. The later books we have Thomas, Michael, Molly, and a whole host of people we've seen more then once. And for that matter Lasciel and Mouse.

Sometimes I miss Bob. He seems almost forgotten as the cast expands.

Kane
2008-08-16, 01:19 AM
Sometimes I miss Bob. He seems almost forgotten as the cast expands.

Word. He could be annoying, but he seems to get less screen time, so I'm missing him, if you will. Plus I don't suppose I have very discerning senses when it comes to what the Author is doing.

Middle English Donut (Small Favor) was quite possibly the most amusing moment in the whole series.

freerangetroll
2008-08-16, 02:02 AM
One of my favorite series currently. The characters actually seem human (even the monsters), and are believable in their motivations and actions. I particularly enjoy any Dresden File that focuses on the Denarii or the Sidhe.

Another author who does very good urban fantasy is Simon R. Green. Particularly the Nightside novellas and the novel Drinking Midnight Wine. Considerably darker then the Dresden files, but it keeps the feeling of fun camp very well.

BrotherMatthew
2008-08-20, 03:36 PM
I actually picked up the first Dresden Files book before I flew to Europe, on a sort of guess. I really enjoyed it though and by the time I landed in Amsterdam had all ready finished it. In hind sight I wish I would have picked up the first three or so at the time. And I agree that the series has gotten better as its gone on, but has stayed fairly original. That is hard to accomplish in these many book series it seems.