PDA

View Full Version : Ghostwalk: huh?

ZekeArgo
2008-08-12, 04:56 PM
Something that I realized in another thread: has anyone actually used, or hell, even remember the Ghostwalk campaign supplement? I know its a 3.0 book, but I've had it sitting around forever because a friend gave me his books when he moved and I'll be damned if I ever found a use for anything in there.

So yeah, has anyone who's even heard of it used it at all or run any campaigns based on the mechanics?

Eldariel
2008-08-12, 05:21 PM
I've played Ghostwalk. I actually asked the same thing in the same thread a page earlier; I listed it among my runner-up favourites. The setting is very different, of course, but it does give you the tools to play ghosts and truly feel a ghost (if not an entirely traditional one; indeed, you aren't bound by a thing or an idea like a traditional ghost (think Eleanor Farjeon's "Faithful Jenny Dove"), but have rather remained by choice rather than need). The world is weird, but it offers a very unique experience for those looking to truly play abnormal races. If I were to allow ghost PCs in normal D&D play, I'd probably incorporate some things from Ghostwalk to flesh them out a bit (and to avoid the annoying "immortality"- and "unable to leave"-traits, which tend to be rather difficult for a game).

ZekeArgo
2008-08-12, 05:25 PM
I've played Ghostwalk. I actually asked the same thing in the same thread a page earlier; I listed it among my runner-up favourites. The setting is very different, of course, but it does give you the tools to play ghosts and truly feel a ghost (if not an entirely traditional one; indeed, you aren't bound by a thing or an idea like a traditional ghost (think Eleanor Farjeon's "Faithful Jenny Dove"), but have rather remained by choice rather than need). The world is weird, but it offers a very unique experience for those looking to truly play abnormal races. If I were to allow ghost PCs in normal D&D play, I'd probably incorporate some things from Ghostwalk to flesh them out a bit (and to avoid the annoying "immortality"- and "unable to leave"-traits, which tend to be rather difficult for a game).

Saw your post in the other thread about it, but i don't know. Might just be my gaming experience or the groups I've played with, IRL Tabletop/LARP and Online, but I've never seen a group, person or anyone really who felt adding in a weird ghost system was something to do for 3.X. I mean I've paged through Wraith and really liked the concept stuff for Orpheus when it was coming out back when I followed the WW stuff, but even then those settings were secondary to me and the people I know.

Odd though, interesting to see that people actually do use the book, or that it can be viable given the right approach.

Eldariel
2008-08-12, 05:32 PM
The book is really closer to being its own rules set than just a campaign settings. When played as such, it can be really enjoyable. I mean, the basics are the same, but just about all the stuff concerning ghosts just overwrites standard 3.X rules. By the way, since we used Ghost PCs, we used the Flexible Ghost Advancement-variant (allows Ghosts to take levels in non-racial classes).

If you happen to have access to the book, I suggest you read it up some time, work out what kind of a game you'd enjoy and give it a go. It's one thing that's way better than it initially looks. Of course, it's a lot of rules to learn and if the "play a ghost"-idea doesn't really strike your fancy, it won't be for you. But I'm sure many people who haven't heard of it would find it enjoyable if they gave it a go.

Person_Man
2008-08-12, 05:51 PM
Wise to Your Ways is a hugely useful Ranger feat, if your DM allows it. It gives you a bonus against the abilities of one your Favored Enemy. Combine with Favored Enemy (Evil) from Harper Paragon or Stalker of Kharash, and you get a +8 to most of your Saves against Evil enemies.

Other then that, no, I haven't used it.

Ranis
2008-08-12, 06:32 PM
I've used several of the main concepts of Ghostwalk's geographic layout and from the city underground that is the "tunnel to the beyond" to help shape some of my main ideas and theologies in my personal campaign setting, and my BBEG and many of his minions have feats from Ghostwalk.

Dhavaer
2008-08-12, 08:45 PM
I once built a Sorcerer with those two crazy Sorcerer feats from Ghostwalk: Sherem-lar Sorcery and Sherezem-lar Sorcery. +4 to Charisma for sorcerer spells, and it requires you to be a female human with green eyes from a particular nation.