PDA

View Full Version : Leap attack: x3 or x4?

Treguard
2008-08-12, 05:06 PM
A quick question about the feat Leap Attack:

You can combine a jump with a charge against an opponent. If you cover at least 10 feet of horizontal distance with your jump, and you end your jump in a square from which you threaten your target, you can double the extra damage dealt by your use of the Power Attack feat. If you use this tactic with a two-handed weapon, you instead triple the extra damage from Power Attack.
This attack must follow all the normal rules for using the Jump skill and for making a charge, except that you ignore rough terrain in any squares you jump over.

Now I'm stuck regarding the damage dealt with a two handed weapon; does it regard the "extra damage from Power Attack" as the straight number you deduct from your to-hit or as the doubled value from are using a 2h-weapon?

If it's the former, than it's simply tripled (power attacking for 5 = 15 damage) but if it's the latter then it's quadrupled, from the combination of x2 and x3 multipliers.

Normally I've played this as a straight x3, but now that I've seen evidence to the contrary (read: people playing it as x4), I'm not so sure.

Any official ruling?

SadisticFishing
2008-08-12, 05:22 PM
It's x4. Because of the odd way things stack, Power Attack, with a two handed weapon, gives +2. +100% on that (the errata), makes it +4.

Not how I would have gone about it, to be honest, but it's how it works.

Person_Man
2008-08-12, 05:24 PM
This issue comes up all the time. I've gotten multiple different answers from WotC cust serv. And there's an errata, which is confusing. In my games, using Leap Attack with a two handed weapon gives you a +4 bonus per BAB. But I've heard plenty of intelligent arguments as to why it should only be +3.