PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas for my game

Swooper
2008-08-12, 05:23 PM
I'm running a 3.5 game for a total of eight people (I'm expecting it to drop to a comfortable five when universities start), five of those (three of the five that will stay) are beginners so I'm keeping it nice and simple with Core only. I may introduce some splatbooks along the way (the first four Completes to begin with maybe) though.

I have a vague idea where the campaign is going, but could use some help with specifics. Here's what has happened so far:

Party arrives and assembles in a mostly human farming village (pop. ~600), where a circus has set up camp on a nearby field. They have some fun in the circus while getting to know one another, some getting their fortunes told, watching acrobats and a magic show, looking at the merchandise etc. One item that catches the eye of the party sorceress is what looks like a runed branch (rod-size), made of pure gold. It's way beyond the budget of 1st level adventurers, so they leave it be. At the inn, they hear stories that the local animals have been abnormally aggressive lately and indeed, that night, a group of wolves enter the village, apparently looking for food (or something else?). The PCs managed to slay them and learn a valuable lesson about not rushing ahead of the group into combat. One of them, the ranger, spots a few small creatures lurking at the edge of the forest but decides not to investigate 'til the morning after.

The next day, around breakfast at the local inn, the merchant (Matthias, 1st level human wizard) comes with a couple of thugs, saying the rod has been stolen and implying that the PCs have stolen it. After some convincing, he admits that he was wrong and instead, asks the PCs to help him investigate the theft. The PCs find a few clues (wolf hairs, dirty footprints and scratches on the lock of the chest where the rod was kept) leading them to the forest. Apparently, they didn't learn the lesson from the night before well enough because three of them decide to go wandering into the forest, leaving the rest of the party behind. Those three encounter some goblins (the small creatures from the night before), take some damage, kill some, one escapes running and they follow. Right into an ambush. Where they manage to get themselves killed. This time, they got the lesson :smallamused: (I'm not keen on killing characters, but when they do stupid things like going goblin hunting in the woods at less than half party strength while wounded? Not my fault when they die..)

Three new characters arrive in town that night and are accepted into the group. :smalltongue: The next day, the party goes at full strength into the woods to look for their buddies. They find the site of the ambush but their bodies are gone. They follow the trail of small goblins dragging heavily armoured adventurers to the goblins's usually hidden lair. The pair of dwarves in the party realise the cave is not built by the goblins, but something much more ancient - 1000 years old or more. In short, they clean out the lair including the Barghest leading them (who had eaten their buddies) and his shaman lieutenant. They find the rod, a bunch of gold and some minor magical items and return to town. There, they find Matthias not just dead, but horribly mutilated in his tent. One of the PCs catches a glimpse of what seems to be a foot-high, winged humanoid insect (seen Pan's Labyrinth? Then you know what I mean) before it vanishes.
-----
Here's what's been going on, unknown to the PCs at this point:
The rod is the sceptre of Eilithraos the Infinite, King of the Golden Woods - a powerful - and evil - ruler among the fey. I'm using the 4E cosmology, so the Golden Woods are a region in the Feywild. The sceptre has been missing for thousands of years, having only very recently resurfaced. The sceptre is an artifact that, in short, gives the wielder power over nature in the material world, which the fey can only affect indirectly without it. Eilithraos is eager to get it back now that it's found, but the Barghest got it first and had his goblin minions steal it from the unwitting merchant. He has now discovered that the PCs have it and starts sending his own minions after them. Meanwhile, the barghest's spirit returns to the abyss where some higher powers might learn of the sceptre and become interested...
---
The PCs report the death of Matthias to the circus' owner and the local guard, and leave town without mentioning the sceptre to anyone. By now they've realised that it's very important and should be kept hidden, and take turns carrying it. The character who saw the pixie-thing in the tent starts seeing glimpses of it (or another like it) following them, and other characters (with less ranks in spot) become uneasy. After three days of walking towards the closest city (two more left), they are attacked at nightfall by three Shaedlings (CR2 fey from MM5 - I don't limit myself in which MMs I can use though the players are stuck with Core) who are clearly trying to get the wand from them. After a tense fight they manage to disable two of them (fey aren't immune to sleep? damn!) and kill them and capture the last one before it takes off with the gnome carrying the rod that night. With some roleplaying along with diplomacy and intimidate rolls, they drag some information about the sceptre and it's owner from the arrogant bug-fey.

That's about how far it went last session. Now, I need some help from you playgrounders.

What types of fey or similar creatures are fun to use? I will use shaedlings some more (they're fun!), and I know about Redcaps who will likely feature soon. Centaurs, trolls and giants are all appropriate but won't be used yet, too powerful. Any ideas?
What can I do to keep the game from becoming a series of encounters of fey and demons trying to steal the rod? Without railroading, what kinds of things could I direct the party towards doing to stop all this? Destroying the sceptre? How? This is about as far as I've thought the campaign, I'm not sure where it can go from here and remain interesting.
What could the powers of the sceptre be, exactly? I've never tried designing an artifact. I'm thinking they might be able to unlock some of it's powers as they go along, maybe some druid spells to begin with?

Edit: Oh, and the next session is on Thursday :-S

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-12, 06:27 PM
I hate to reinvent the wheel so I adapt things from the some of the WOTC side adventures (Currently unavailable for access) or previous editions:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

RPGA archive can be useful:
http://www.rpgarchive.com/index.php?typeid=1&page=adv&sort=Alpha

I forget exactly which Dungeon magazine (s) had a similar theme with a travelling circus.

Artifacts:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/artifacts.htm

Maybe a group of Changeling Rogues (Change appearance)

Proven_Paradox
2008-08-12, 09:02 PM
First off, put some humanoids on their tails that know about the scepter. An evil wizardy type (lich, maybe?) who knows about the scepter's powers and wants it for himself. That gets you an excuse to throw humanoids of all sorts at them; lackeys for the wizard of all shapes and sizes. At higher levels, the wizard starts pulling out the stops, and you get an excuse to throw golems, enslaved aberrations, and so on at them. If you go with the lich angle, there's undead as well. Your pool of valid monsters to put them up against suddenly explodes to include pretty much anything but good outsiders and larger dragons.

And really, the dragon problem is easy to fix. An elder dragon wants to add the scepter to his/her hoarde. Bam; now you can have dragons on your list of things-that-want-to-kill-the-party.

If you want to pull at their morals a bit, perhaps a coven of druids finds out about it and plans to take it from them in order to better maintain the natural balance? Since their intentions are good, fighting against them would be a difficult thing to swallow... But should these druids have that kind of power?

---

As for the powers of the scepter, perhaps you could make it a Legacy Weapon? I don't know if you've read Weapons of Legacy, but I know you have the Tome of Battle since you're playing a Warblade in my game. The nine swords presented in that book are very good examples of what a legacy weapon does. Perhaps it's a light mace or a short sword, depending on how you've described it. As for the powers, Summon Nature's Ally is always a good choice. Entangle, Enlarge Animal, Magic Fang, Charm Animal, and so on. Perhaps if a druid unlocks its powers it provides some sort of bonuses while wild shaped? Perhaps it allows non-druids to use wild shape?

There's a prestige class in Complete Mage (I think) that you could look to for inspiration: The Wild Soul. It loses a caster level (and thus rarely sees play) but it's flavored as a wizard or sorcerer who wants to draw power from the Fey. It includes a short list of spells that they get to use as spell-like abilities. I don't remember what all was on said list (Baleful Polymorph I remember for some reason, but the rest I forget) but anything on there is something to consider to be a power of the scepter.

Swooper
2008-08-13, 07:27 AM
Hmm, thanks. Some nice ideas there, PP. Instead of just deamons and fey chasing them, they'll soon enough have the whole damn material plane after them as well! I like it :smallbiggrin:

One of the characters has an evil wizard mentioned in his backstory, I can probably work him into this. Daemon-worshipping cultists are easy to fit in as well and... I was just scaring one of my players with how dangerous dragons really are last night, I'm sure I can fit one or two of those in, too :smallamused:
Besides, I've always wanted to run a Tucker's Kobolds scenario, and kobolds are the perfect minions for a dragon :smalltongue:

What I suppose I really need now for them are some allies. Someone they can trust and will offer advice and can nudge them in the right direction when they're lost. I'll need to ponder this...

Edit: Oh, and using the Legacy Weapon rules might work here. I hadn't thought of it myself, mainly because I haven't really given that book a good read-through. I'll put it on my to-do list :smallsmile:

Tormsskull
2008-08-13, 07:44 AM
What I suppose I really need now for them are some allies. Someone they can trust and will offer advice and can nudge them in the right direction when they're lost. I'll need to ponder this...

Hmm, if an evil fey is trying to aquire the scepter, then surely there is some kind of good fey that would prefer that the evil one not find it? Maybe a sprite or a pixie, or a dryad or a nymph, something like that who befriends the PCs in an effort to explain to them just how much danger they are in?

That or you could always go the way of the caring good druid or wizard who knows what is going on and if trying to find the PCs to help them.

Sounds like a fun campaign so far.

Storm Bringer
2008-08-13, 08:23 AM
well, on the allies front, a few ideas:

a mostly good aligned duridic coven has become aware of the scepter (via phrophetic dreams or such), and are working, mostly behind the scenes, to ensure that the artifact either ends up in their hands or destoryed. Have been be a background presence, one manifests mostly as unusual good luck (useable food turning up in the wild, a pack of wolves suddenly giving up the chase, the players find a site where an ambush for them has in turn been ambushed, etc)

for a more openly helpful group, try one of the churches. If using the 3.X gods, someone like Elhonna or Obad-Hai would be perfect, wishing to get the item out of mortal hands and out of mischeif. In 4th ed... I'm not as sure, not that well up on the gods. Melora, mayhaps?

What can I do to keep the game from becoming a series of encounters of fey and demons trying to steal the rod? Without railroading, what kinds of things could I direct the party towards doing to stop all this? Destroying the sceptre? How? This is about as far as I've thought the campaign, I'm not sure where it can go from here and remain interesting.

First, not every event in the campgain NEEDS to fit into the Plot Arc. Some events can just be random things that happen on the road to greatness. For example, the players are asked to help a local worthy cause, or need to do such and such to get to their destination.

but, for Arc related plot hooks, heres a few:

the players set off to find to the home of a retired advenuring wizard, known for his breadth of knowledge, in the hope he can enlighten them as to what this bloody golden stick is. This would allow you to introduce the plot arc to the players ("do you have any idea how powerful that rod you're carrying is??"), and likey set the end goal for the campgain (i.e. wether you want them to destory the scepter or master it's powers), and give them a good shove in the right direction ("well, to properly harness it's power, you need to....").

hang on, I've got it: if the scepter is a Leagcy Item (exactly like a leagcy weapon, but sans the stabbyness), then a major part of the plot could be about completing the leagacy rituals needed to access the powers of the scepter.

If you are worried about varaity of monsters, then have the deamons work though a material plane lackey, like a cult. They could then in turn use variousl proxies to interfere with the players progress. Likewise, some the fae use thier charm like abilites to get others to do thier bidding.

Sebastian
2008-08-13, 09:28 AM
Hmm, if an evil fey is trying to aquire the scepter, then surely there is some kind of good fey that would prefer that the evil one not find it? Maybe a sprite or a pixie, or a dryad or a nymph, something like that who befriends the PCs in an effort to explain to them just how much danger they are in?

What about the previous and legitimate owner of the wand, some good powerful fey that Elithraos defeated and imprisoned some thousand of years ago and a rebel group of fey that want her back? (they were the ones that stole the wand from Elith in the first place causing the disappearing of the Golden Woods, but that is another story) The wand is the key to free her, that's why Elith want it back, now the long period quest for the PCs is to find the place where the Eternal queen is kept prisoner and find how to use the wand to free her.

That or you could always go the way of the caring good druid or wizard who knows what is going on and if trying to find the PCs to help them.

Sounds like a fun campaign so far.

he could use a human group of allies of the rebel fey that could, or could not have their own agenda, a association of druids, or a circle of wizards. A group of bard could be very fey-ish, also it would be the perfect ally for a group of PCs, a good source of informations and contact but they can give only a limited assistance in straight combat.

Falrin
2008-08-13, 11:25 AM
Encounter Druid Guild:

Druid guild knows the Rod and how to destroy it.
They send a fake party to keep the heat of the PC's, while the PC's who 'sold' the item go to town.
Evil/Hardcore Neutral druid wants it for himself (and proposes to guide the party)

Evil Devil Overlord:

Has been cursed/bannished and is stuck in his plane. The rod holds the answer to interplane contact he needs.
He sends out a small army of devils to find the rod (which is magicly protected against scrying?)

The Evil Fey King:

Falls for the fake party and leaves the PC's alone for a while.
But the only place/person that can destroy the rod is in the main forrest of this dude.

Campaign outline:

1) Find the rod
2) Escape to safety
3) The Druid Connection
4) Find out how to destroy it
5) Lose it & get it back
6) Give it to the Holy Oak Guards/Throw it in the Endless pit/...

2)
That's happening right now.
Keep pressure on the party when they're in the wild.
Once inside a town some Feys contact the local thievesguild to retrieve the item. Know you have a bunch of humans helping your Fey.
Turn the local authoraties against the PC's (My rod was stolen)

3)
The local druids heard the rumours/investigate the aggitated wildlife.
They contact the party and help them out. learn a secret 'druids friend' handshake and you have a solid base for future contacts.
They explain what the rod does, who's it is and what to do with it.
(Go to an ArchDruid/A Elven King/A Fey Forrest/Library)

4)
Here you start noticing how repetitive the campaign is. So a bit fast forwarding won’t harm anyone. The Evil Feys are after the wrong party (fake from the druid guild).
If you’re the side quest type, toss them some problems along the way or maybe the Archdruid has some tasks for them first.
When in a town, a band of Devils pops out and lays ashes onto the town. Save some people and get on a boat.

5)
Their ship gets attacked by pirates and sinks.
Get of the cannibal infested island.
Get to the Pirates nest.
Get the Rod back.
Side Quest, Intrigue, Diplomacy, …
And hurry up, before that devil army gets here.

6)
Finnish the quest for the ‘Acrhdruid’ (It might be getting something for him, or he told you they need some weird ingredient/magic item/spell)
Get to the Evil Forrest Plain
Find the Big Oak (A HUGE tree, no even bigger, think underdark adventure inside a tree)
Get to the powerpoint.
Cast the spell/use the magic item/…

EDIT:

And remember, it is not enough to get a lot of cool, diverse parties after the PC's. The whole campaign will turn out as one big chase with ambushes by different species. Ambushes are nice to get a hunted feeling in the start, but get annoying after a while.
It woiuld work if you got some dedicated, returning hunters (Nazgul).